Traveler cheques

ayrhead

Does Oceania cash on board...and if so do they charge a fee?

Bob

Can I cash a Travelers check or Personal Check on the ship?

Travelers Checks are cashed onboard our ships. We do not charge a service fee for cashing the checks into US currency. A 5% transaction fee will be added to your onboard account if require foreign currency. Personal checks are not accepted.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/faq.aspx

You don't mention where you are traveling, but be aware Travelers checks are not honored in many areas anymore - the possibility of forging has nearly killed them. So if you are planning on trying to cash them anywhere except aboard you may experience difficulties.

May I suggest an alternative? I set up a specific account with my bank, separate of my checking, savings, etc. It is used strictly as a travel account with an ATM card for DH and myself. We use that because even if it's "hacked" we only lose what is in the account with no ties to any of our other accounts, and it doesn't jeopardize your credit cards either. With ATM's nearly worldwide now it is a very easy way to travel. Just try to use only bank ATM's (they're least likely to have problems with hackers) and be sure you use the same caution (or more) you would in the U.S. to ensure safety of both the account and yourselves. Some countries have problems with "grab and dash" thieves.

Bring a credit card..which can double as an ATM and has no foreign transaction fee. Been traveling the world that way for 30 years. Plastic is accepted almost everywhere. THey are insured, give you a 30 to 40 day free float, give best exchange rates and best of all earn you airline/hotel points....not so with cash

Travelers checks are not easily cashable or have to pay a high comission to cash them when they are.

Travelers checks are all but gone since 1990, some 23 years ago.:o

Bring a credit card..which can double as an ATM and has no foreign transaction fee. Been traveling the world that way for 30 years. Plastic is accepted almost everywhere. THey are insured, give you a 30 to 40 day free float, give best exchange rates and best of all earn you airline/hotel points....not so with cash

Travelers checks are not easily cashable or have to pay a high comission to cash them when they are.

Travelers checks are all but gone since 1990, some 23 years ago.:o

Many credit cards do charge foreign transaction fees from 3-5%. Since I don't use credit cards (except onboard), rather my ATM, I'm not the one to give advice about the companies which do not charge those fees. However, others on CC can provide this information.

Many credit cards do charge foreign transaction fees from 3-5%. Since I don't use credit cards (except onboard), rather my ATM, I'm not the one to give advice about the companies which do not charge those fees. However, others on CC can provide this information.

That's why many of us advise NOT using credit cards to get cash, but debit cards. There are some credit cards that do not charge a transaction fee (or if they a low one, like 1%) so you need to check with your bank. But that may not avoid the ATM fees that many banks charge. The debit card should do that as well.

My bank does charge a 1% transaction fee (when getting foreign currency) (Everbank) but it refunds the charge made when you use another bank's ATM that DOES charge.

It's very many years since I used a credit card to get cash at an ATM but my recollection is that banks also charged for your credit advance by imposing interest daily until it was repaid. Is that still the case? If so, another reason not to use a credit card to get cash.

(We do use our no fee and 1% credit cards to make purchases overseas, but that is another matter entirely.)

The two cards we use in foreign countries for making purchases are an HSBC "Premier" Mastercard and a Capital One Visa.

Mura

Excellent advice by all...thank you

Heading to Papeete and the atm/visa sounds the best...with cash!

Bob

Be sure to let your bank & CC company know you are travelling

I find those kiosks in the mall have good rates for exchanges

I like to have some starting off money with me ;)

Enjoy

Lyn

Be sure to let your bank & CC company know you are travelling

I find those kiosks in the mall have good rates for exchanges

I like to have some starting off money with me ;)

Enjoy

Lyn

Lyn is absolutely right. Let your CC company and bank know when you will be travelling and basics about where. We had a friend who didn't and their CC was denied down out of country because the CC security alert people thought it was fraud. All it took was a call to the company, but it was a hassle and embarrassing, to say the least.

I second Lyn's comment that having a bit of cash in each local currency is helpful. Great for paying a taxi or emergency purchases when you first arrive in a given country.

In addition to mall/airport kiosks such as Travelex, some banks also will sell foreign currency to you at a favorable rate. I bought Euros and British pounds from Citibank because the rate was a bit more favorable than Travelex. I've used Travelex to buy Hungarian, Czech and Turkish currency, as only the most common foreign currencies were available through the bank at the time.

BTW if you do not live near a Travelex outlet, they will deliver funds to your home.

And try NOT to exchange currency in the airport (ours or theirs). The worst exchange rates typically are charged there.

Absolutely right. An excellent alternative is Chase, where if you have an account, they will procure common foreign currencies--pounds, euros--at the prevailing exchange rate and not charge a fee. You must request such currency several days ahead. Also, note that the Chase Saphire Preferred Visa card is extremely useful overseas, as it has a chip--a requirement of many ATMs on the continent--and has no foreign transaction fees, And when used at a Chase ATM overseas there will be no ATM charge either. (Plus you get 40,000 points when you spend 3,000 dollars in the first 3 months. And they are convertible to Avios points on British Air.) And no, I don't work for Chase.

Absolutely right. An excellent alternative is Chase, where if you have an account, they will procure common foreign currencies--pounds, euros--at the prevailing exchange rate and not charge a fee. You must request such currency several days ahead. Also, note that the Chase Saphire Preferred Visa card is extremely useful overseas, as it has a chip--a requirement of many ATMs on the continent--and has no foreign transaction fees, And when used at a Chase ATM overseas there will be no ATM charge either. (Plus you get 40,000 points when you spend 3,000 dollars in the first 3 months. And they are convertible to Avios points on British Air.) And no, I don't work for Chase.

Writer100,

I also use Chase and Chase Saphire in my opinion the best card to use for travel..and mileage!!

Jancruz1

Using a debt card will not get you miles... whereas a credit card will I use United/Chase for all on ship and cruise expenses And Marriott/Chase for all foreign purchases in port or on land ( no transaction fee)

I hate to spend one dime of cash any time, anywhere for anything. For that reason I dont have or use debt cards. Plus They dont give me a float.

(My 30 day cruise in Jan which was charged wont come due till mid March, as an example)

As to how much you need depends on your spending habits. my last cruises both 30 day, one to South America I spent about $200 total in cash and one to Europe, I spent $350 in cash for a total trip of 45 day.

All the rest were credit cards.. which were accepted everywhere without problem

I also use Chase Sapphire and have been very pleased. However, my understanding after calling Chase just now is the "chip" noted above is not yet embedded in the card.

We have traveled extensively to Asia and Europe over the past two years and never had a problem when using the card (or AmEx Platinum) to buy train tickets, pay for taxis/restaurants/hotels etc. No foreign transaction fees imposed by either card.

One other cautionary note: using a credit card to pull cash from an ATM is not the best idea cost-wise. You will be dinged for high interest charges from the date of the cash withdrawl. Better to us your bank's ATM card to do ATM transactions. Bank of America (and some other US banks) has a Global network with a number of foriegn banks in Europe & Australia which means NO ATM charges whatsoever if you use a foreign bank's ATM that is part of the BOA network. Only charge is the exchange rate. Bank d'Italia, Deutsche, Parabas, Westpac are all part of the network.

Archived