Husband likes to wear his Tuxedo!

dvmvet

We've only ever been on RC Allure and Freedom. They have formal dining nights where my husband really enjoyed dressing up in his tuxedo.

Now we're about to go on Epic, where we know there is no formal attire etc.

However, would my husband stand out horribly if he wore his tux?

Also, we have booked one evening dining at the French restaurant on Epic, and that place in particular seems the right place for him to dress up.

Thanks !

Please understand that the concept behind Freestyle is to allow you to dress up as you desire (within reason on the casual side).

If your husband wants to dress up in a tux every single night of the cruise, then I applaud him and urge him to do that.

Why should he give a damn what the other people think?

And if someone wants to dress resort casual every night of the cruise, then I similarly applaud him (or her) and urge them to do that.

It is FREESTYLE!

Like the pp said, Freestyle is all about doing what YOU want, that's the beauty of it. With that said, I think Le Bistro or the Chef's Table would be perfect venues to break out the formal duds for a night out.

Enjoy your adventure!

You do what you want on Norwegian! They also have the 'Norwegians Night Out' where dressing up is encouraged (but still not mandatory) and the photographers will be in the atrium doing portraits.

I've never dressed up except on New Year's and I still LOVE seeing those who do dress up!

Bring the tux if he wants to wear it, he should! I was pleasantly surprised on our Epic cruise how many people did dress up. I actually felt underdressed in a cocktail dress. I saw numerous long dresses, tuxes, suits and ties, even a military uniform. Also, saw those who didn't dress up. It's a perfect world.

I always love seeing the couples who dress up. I'm not sure why but it always makes me smile. I may consider doing the same, but chasing after my 7 year old in a ball gown isn't a memory I would like to make. The truth is you may stand out, but in a good way. People will smile at you. I say go for it! The rest of us women won't complain about a handsome man walking around in a tux! :D

Please understand that the concept behind Freestyle is to allow you to dress up as you desire (within reason on the casual side).

If your husband wants to dress up in a tux every single night of the cruise, then I applaud him and urge him to do that.

Why should he give a damn what the other people think?

And if someone wants to dress resort casual every night of the cruise, then I similarly applaud him (or her) and urge them to do that.

It is FREESTYLE!

Bingo...

Question of the OP was if her husband would stand out horribly.

I fear that he will stand out. On our many cruises with NCL, on the dress up night I did not see many people being dressed up. Apart from the venue where they take the formal pictures. There were cruises on which we only days after found out that there had been a dress up night. And NCL does not really make an effort to make the evening special for the dressuppers. It is more about selling formal pictures.

Sure, it is freestyle, but lets face it: the big majority does not dress up. I would even dare to say: on the contrary.

If you really like to dress up and enjoy the evening with fellow dressupppers, maybe NCL is not a good choice. We like to dress up once in a while, but never got the urge to do it on a NCL ship. Freestyle... :)

I fear that he will stand out. On our many cruises with NCL, on the dress up night I did not see many people being dressed up. Apart from the venue where they take the formal pictures. There were cruises on which we only days after found out that there had been a dress up night. And NCL does not really make an effort to make the evening special for the dressuppers. It is more about selling formal pictures.

Sure, it is freestyle, but lets face it: the big majority does not dress up. I would even dare to say: on the contrary.

If you really like to dress up and enjoy the evening with fellow dressupppers, maybe NCL is not a good choice. We like to dress up once in a while, but never got the urge to do it on a NCL ship. Freestyle... :)

Been on 7 NCL cruises, can count the tux sightings on one hand. Some people do dress up on picture taking nights but not in tuxs. If he wishes, tell him to bring one suit or a sports jacket and a couple of pairs of dress pants. Most guys go to dinner without a jacket. Heck, I have seen many dressed in clean jeans for lunch and dinner. As long as there are no holes in them, they are acceptable dress.

Go ahead and let him bring a tux. I saw about a dozen men on each of our cruises on the Gem. He might stick out a little, but thats not his problem. Would I ever wear one on a cruise, thanks but no, but more power to your husband if he wants to.

I love to wear my tux too, and taken it with me for both our Med cruise on X and our Baltic on HA. HOWEVER, I won't be taking it on our NCL TA, primarily because of stupid, per-bag, domestic airline baggage fees (much better baggage allowances on International flights). So I'll be the guy in the sport coat and slacks, even for the most formal of evenings. :(

I enjoy bringing my tux on X and Princess and find maybe 20-50% tux 'participation' on their formal nights. I don't think I've even seen a tux on three NCL cruises. As some other posters suggested, don't bother as your husband will stand out like a sore thumb. In my mind, the idea of enjoying a formal night is just that- to have a social event where people dress similarly and strive for a certain degree of shared elegance. NCL has pretty much dumped this concept to the approval of many. If this is something you really enjoy there are plenty of lines that still maintain the ritual.

We are long time cruisers on Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Cunard... going on the Jade in April -- will be our first NCL in 10 years, after freestyle was started.

My DH loves to wear his tux as well, he has 3 or 4 of them, plus a white dinner jackets... we will definitely be taking our formal wear.. the best part of NCL is we can dress up as much as we like. Since everyone is allowed -encouraged to dress as they please, that means we don't need to be concerned about what other do at all.

So if your DH wants to wear his tux and is comfortable being himself... go for it.

We just came off our first NCL cruise (on the Star). We were celebrating our 25th anniversary and love to dress up for formal night on other cruise lines. We debated this question and ultimately ended up having my husband bring a tux and while I scaled down from a floor length formal to a fancy cocktail dress. I love to see DH in a tux and rarely have the chance to do so. We got many compliments and smiles that evening and even a special romantic dance for us in Spinnaker. Most of all, WE enjoyed it - so do what makes you and your husband happy!

Surprisingly, I saw a number of women in long dresses but I would say that most of the men who dressed up were in suits or sports jackets. Funny, but we saw some women very dressed up while their SO was just wearing khakis and a polo or button down shirt.

I think what I'm getting from the answers given here is that it's certainly OK for the OP's husband to wear his tux, and personally, I think that would be a lot of fun myself. DW and I don't dress up that often, but we do enjoy it on special occasions.

However, from what I gather, the OP and her husband need to be aware that he may very well be the only gentleman in a tux. In fact, it sounds as if there's a good chance of that. So, using that knowledge, they can make an informed decision as to whether or not they would feel comfortable or out of place.

Excellent question.I've wondered the same thing myself. Our Oct. cruise coming up will be our 10th Anniversary, we were seriously considering going all out..perhaps not a tux for me, but, a very nice dress for her and my nicest suit. I think I'll encourage DW to start shopping. :D Heck, I'm not shy to stand out a bit, I may just surprise the Mrs. with a tux myself.

We've only ever been on RC Allure and Freedom. They have formal dining nights where my husband really enjoyed dressing up in his tuxedo.

Now we're about to go on Epic, where we know there is no formal attire etc.

However, would my husband stand out horribly if he wore his tux?

Also, we have booked one evening dining at the French restaurant on Epic, and that place in particular seems the right place for him to dress up.

We cruised on Epic (our third time) in early February. In terms of formal attire, I took only my tux, and wore it on at least two occasions. All of our meals were in the Haven Restaurant, and even there, we observed those who dressed up, and those who don't. My view is that it is something that I enjoy doing on occasion, and I'm on vacation. No harm in that. Within reason, I didn't pay attention to what others were wearing. We some folks in formal attire each night.

Excellent question.I've wondered the same thing myself. Our Oct. cruise coming up will be our 10th Anniversary, we were seriously considering going all out..perhaps not a tux for me, but, a very nice dress for her and my nicest suit. I think I'll encourage DW to start shopping. :D Heck, I'm not shy to stand out a bit, I may just surprise the Mrs. with a tux myself.

Hmm...you've got a point. It's our 10th during our upcoming cruise too. Maybe I need to go suit at a minimum and leave the sport coat and slacks home. I'm definitely not taking the tux though - that'd mean an extra shirt and pair of shoes to pack that I couldn't put to any other use.

Hmm...you've got a point. It's our 10th during our upcoming cruise too. Maybe I need to go suit at a minimum and leave the sport coat and slacks home. I'm definitely not taking the tux though - that'd mean an extra shirt and pair of shoes to pack that I couldn't put to any other use.

Yea, I'm not crazy about all that extra packing either. But, DW would sure get a thrill if I did.

Unfortunately, it's been a few years since I've needed to wear it. That's a few years of middle age spread combined with a new found love of cruising (that means cruising food :D) Probably won't fit anyway.

I enjoy bringing my tux on X and Princess and find maybe 20-50% tux 'participation' on their formal nights. I don't think I've even seen a tux on three NCL cruises. As some other posters suggested, don't bother as your husband will stand out like a sore thumb. In my mind, the idea of enjoying a formal night is just that- to have a social event where people dress similarly and strive for a certain degree of shared elegance. NCL has pretty much dumped this concept to the approval of many. If this is something you really enjoy there are plenty of lines that still maintain the ritual.

I have even seen a Kilt on the Epic. I don't need, want, or even notice what others do as I am comfortable with myself and only care what my own husband is wearing, as he is so comfortable he doesn't notice anything, including the odd stain or hole, but I digress.

A perfect time to dress up would be to sign up for "Dinner with an Officer" at guest services. You could also put out feelers on your roll call to see if others would like to dress up for dinner and go as a group.

Really, however, just go ahead and dress up the first night. You may influence others to dress up the second night and so on!

See I disagree with this. I've seen plenty of people dressed to he nines on cruises and never thought twice about it. If anything I think it lovely that they put in the effort.

I'd much rather see a guy in a tux at dinner than a guy in a ratty t-shirt and torn jeans.

Archived