Enough life boat seats for all aboard?

teaach

• 7 months later...

If your unlucky enough to be on a sinking ship I hope you're lucky enough to be on a ship that isn't turning on it's side because the upper side's lifeboats would be useless.

There are certain realities of travel...going by air, car, trains or ships all have dangers. I, for one, choose not to expend a lot of energy on worrying what may happen. Otherwise, I would never leave my house!:eek:

What about situations where the ship is listed such that the boats CAN'T be lowered (didn't this happen on Concordia?) Where do those people go? IIRC, Concordia managed this by running shuttles since they were so close to shore, but is this realistic for an at-sea emergency?

There were two people off the CC on the Jeff Probst Show. They were in one of the three life boats that couldn't make it to the water. They ended up sliding down a rope and landing on the roof of a rescue boat that came.

Well it's true but not...

Life BOATS are mainly for pax...They have inflatable life RAFTS for the crew.

They are stored in these:

life%20rafts.jpg

Here's one deployed from the Concordia:

?m=02&d=20120202&t=2&i=566008515&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=BTRE8111NGZ00

I was going to mention those. Between the life boats and life rafts there is room for everyone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

NY Times reported yesterday in a Triumph article that Oasis of the Seas had 1000 less life boat seats than the number of pax/crew on board. Does Carnival provide enough seats for everyone, including the crew, to evacuate a ship via life boat in case of emergency. If not, it's a scary situation given recent events. Need to feel safe on upcoming Breeze cruise.

Shoot. Sounds like more cost cutting by Royal. :D

How well do they really think that chute system is really going to work when the ship is under heavy list?

If in warm waters, normally I'll have my snorkel gear and if necessary, I'll jump/slide over the side. My preference would be from a deck close to the water. Don't care about style points.

Bear in mind that good propaganda

is a skillful mixture of truths, half-truths and outright lies.

In Soviet Union times, they were masters of the technique

but American Media,Inc. has outdone the Ruskies, now!

They're gooood!

That NY Times article had numerous errors (among others, labeling the Costa Allegra as the sister ship of Costa Concordia:rolleyes:).

The article definitely inferred that the RCI ships do not have enough life rescue equipment

-when that is certainly not the case.

And the crew is trained in working with the life rafts - I've watched them do drills.

You really have to admire the skill of our Western Media as they tell "the truth" they want you to believe.

All those scary half-truths, without letting you know the other half-truth, the re-assuring half.

All this propagandising

in order to dig up any dirt against Public Enemy Number One The Cruise Industry. :cool:

I find them to be devious insincere wretches!!

Perhaps the cruise industry as a whole

should develop a black-ball list of all those in media

who foster these lies, who write such articles

forever banning them from our "dangerous" industry.

No Cruise For YOU...says the Cruise Nasty! :D

Shoot. Sounds like more cost cutting by Royal. :D

If in warm waters, normally I'll have my snorkel gear and if necessary, I'll jump/slide over the side. My preference would be from a deck close to the water. Don't care about style points.

I don't snorkel, but I thought about the same way to exit. Things have really rolled around my head since Concordia of what I would do. A drill is great and informative, but when everyone is in panic and pushing for any old lifeboat, I wonder if perhaps jumping might be an option if it's a fast acting disaster.

[quote name='spencercoop']The Epic uses 267 seat and 293 seat lifeboats. The 267 seat are the lifeboat tenders and the 293 seat are just lifeboats.

The Epic and the Carnival Magic both use the same 293 seat lifeboats.[/quote]

I figured the Magic had to be using the higher capacity lifeboats, because she only has 18 lifeboats and at the 150 capacity figure that would only be 2700 seats. At 293 thats room for 5274.

Archived