Party cruise lines and quiet and relaxing Cruise Lines

JensJ

Definination:

Party Cruise Lines = Family cruise lines with a lot of activities. Loudly music at the main pools e.g.

Quiet and relaxing Cruise Lines = Grownup cruse lines. People can activate them self.

Party cruise lines

Carneval

Royal Caribbean

Disney

Norwegian Cruise Line

Quiet and relaxing Cruise Lines

Celebrity

Holland America Line

Princess

Gunard

Quiet, relaxing and luxury/expensive Cruise Lines

Azamara Club Cruises

Crystal Cruises

Oceania Cruises

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Seabourn Cruise Line

Windstar Cruise

Is my lists correct?

What about Costa and MSC?

Do I miss some important cruise lines?

disagree completely.

a family line does not have to be a 'party' cruise with a butt ton of stuff going on at all hours. nor does a 'grownup' line need to be sedate and boring.

for instance, Disney does a FANTASTIC job of keeping adult only areas exactly that, and maintaining a quiet, relaxing atmosphere. their Adult only pool is a haven.

Same with Royal. one, the pools are not surrounded by ear blasting music all day long. While their adult only areas are less well policed than Disney's, they are still far quieter than the main deck pools and are very relaxing for the most part.

I don't need 'activating'

I can choose to participate, or not, in any scheduled activities as well as amuse myself in whatever way I enjoy, whether that is finding a quiet corner to read, or taking part in dance lessons in the Centrum.

the important parts are the other things.. the level of service, the quality of the accommodations, the dining options. the overall ambiance. the type of activities on board.

some people like casual and fun. others prefer a more refined feel. But regardless of which style of cruising you like, every mainstream line out there can probably offer you a ship that will meet your needs.

You left out European and Chinese River cruises which are quiet and relaxing compared to, say, a weekend cruise on Carnival or Norwegian.

A party-style ship for those who are fluent in German would be Aida cruises.

My experience has been that pretty much, the longer the cruise, the fewer the "partiers." I'm talking about cruises of ten days and longer, especially if they take place when most schools are keeping.

Definination:

Party Cruise Lines = Family cruise lines with a lot of activities. Loudly music at the main pools e.g.

Quiet and relaxing Cruise Lines = Grownup cruse lines. People can activate them self.

Party cruise lines

Carneval Carnival

Royal Caribbean

Disney

Norwegian Cruise Line

Quiet and relaxing Cruise Lines

Celebrity

Holland America Line

Princess

Gunard Cunard

Quiet, relaxing and luxury/expensive Cruise Lines

Azamara Club Cruises

Crystal Cruises

Oceania Cruises

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Seabourn Cruise Line

Windstar Cruise

Is my lists correct?

What about Costa and MSC?

Do I miss some important cruise lines?

I agree with those who feel that length of cruise, as well as time of year could move a sailing from the party to the quiet cruise and vice versa. I have been on one or two relatively "quiet" cruises on Carnival. And if you stay away from the pool area, you may find many Carnival cruises to be on the quiet side, even with many families on board.

I don't understand the term "activate". Are you talking about a cruise with plenty of activities to keep one busy?

While every line has a "target audience," I think just about with any line, you can have a cruise that suits your interest. I have only sailed on Carnival, and at this point in my life, there are lines I definitely wouldn't want to sail with (Disney and all of the lines you have listed as expensive).

I know I read a book that sort of broke it down as Carnival attracts the younger set and young families, whereas Princess attracted more young couples (presumably without the kids). HAL and Celebrity tend to attract more of the more seasoned group of passengers. I can't remember where this book put lines such as NCL or Royal, if they were more "family" or more "couples" but in the end even that doesn't matter because all lines will have a mix of all demographics.

I don't understand the term "activate". Are you talking about a cruise with plenty of activities to keep one busy?

I suspect that English is not the OP's first language, and that they are suggesting that on some of the 'quieter' lines adult passengers are able to find their own amusement without multiple organised activities.

I haven't travelled many lines, and all at the 'quieter' end, but I would think that my impressions are that, in part, the OPs suggestions of 'categories' are not completely inappropriate BUT there are probably more exceptions than rules.

Yes, some cruises are livelier than others e.g. Carnival vs Regent, in general, but there will be a great difference between two cruises on the same line with different demographics on board e.g. a large organised party of a couple of hundred passengers will change the feel of any cruise.

The size of the ship will make a difference, if only that those seeking 'entertainment' in its various forms may well look to the bigger ships with their vast range of facilities. Small ships of under 500 passengers will not have so many activity or entertainment 'zones' and interaction with other passengers may be the main entertainment.

Short cruises during spring break in the USA may well be livelier. You will get more children on board during school holidays, anywhere in the world.

The itinerary may well make a difference - to take an extreme example you will probably not find many children on an Antarctic cruise, or even one to the Galapagos!

I don't think P&O line fits into any of the above, as there are different types of ship attracting different groups of people. They range from very small, adult only, through medium sized family/adult only, to very large and definitely family orientated.

My definitions of "party" and "quiet/relaxing" are different from the OP. I think all cruise lines have a lot of activities however you might classify them. Whether you choose to "activate" yourself or take part in the planned activities is totally up to you.

Jen J. .... For the most part agree with your list.

Do please keep in mind: Much depends on the time of the year and the lenght of the cruise on any cruise line.

Disney really is not a party cruise line. You ask about Costa. Fun and totally enjoyed their "Toga Parties".

LuLu

~~~~

Archived