Question re movement of ship in forward suite or aft suite?

browniegirl

Hi all, we are for the first time in 7 cruises going to be in a forward owners suite on the Dawn in April.......we have always had an aft suite in the past and loved them!!! This time, wanted to try a different suite but it was only forward, so we thought what the heck! Having never stayed in the forward part of the ship, can others tell me what the motion difference will be compared to the aft?? I usually take my motion sickness bracelets just in case but am wondering if I should be wearing them right off the bat!! We are super excited to try a different location but are very curious about how different it is going to be!!!

Leah

We've not stayed in a forward suite. However, we have been forward in the Spinnaker lounges or the Stardust theaters when seas have been moderate. Motion wasn't terrible, but motion was noticeable greater forward than it was aft. We're believers in Bonine (Meclizine)...one the night before sailing and two r three a day during the cruise.

We have never stayed in a suite but I have always preferred the aft balconys over the forward balconys. The forward had more motion and more sea spray on rough sea days. The aft has just enough motion to make me feel at sea but not sea sick. No sea spray on my balconys in the aft.

My wife and I cruised the Dawn in 10500, a forward penthouse suite this past November and LOVED the experience. We have previously had inside and balcony midship cabins and had the same concerns with the forward location. Don't worry, you'll love it. Genman.

I've been on Star in an aft SF suite (9232), and I've been on Spirit in what is now the SE Penthouse with large balcony (10002) all the way forward. I never noticed any substantial differences in the movement of the ship. Premedicate if you are worried about getting sick, but don't worry too much!

thanks everyone!!! I am just so darn excited about the whole thing and very excited about being on the Dawn, we will be in 10506 and this will be the biggest suite we have stayed in yet, so I am sure that purely being spoiled rotten for a week will keep my mind off the motion! With any luck the seas won't be too bad, mind you..........we have yet to take a cruise and NOT have a day or two of rough weather!!! The last cruise we did on the Star in the Caribbean we had 14 foot seas for 2 days, lots of green people aboard.......yikes. I found those natural gravol to work well. I don't think you can get bonine in Canada without a prescription. Am I wrong? Anyhow, thanks everyone, I love this site!

Leah

We have stayed in an aft facing cabin and a forward facing cabin. We are the opposite of most people. We liked the forward more than the aft. The aft seemed to have a side to side sway/vibration that we didn't like, although watching the wake was awesome. We do love the up and down motion in the forward cabins though, especially when the up and down makes you feel that you are weightless and then feel like you weight a ton!

thanks everyone!!! I am just so darn excited about the whole thing and very excited about being on the Dawn, we will be in 10506 and this will be the biggest suite we have stayed in yet, so I am sure that purely being spoiled rotten for a week will keep my mind off the motion! With any luck the seas won't be too bad, mind you..........we have yet to take a cruise and NOT have a day or two of rough weather!!! The last cruise we did on the Star in the Caribbean we had 14 foot seas for 2 days, lots of green people aboard.......yikes. I found those natural gravol to work well. I don't think you can get bonine in Canada without a prescription. Am I wrong? Anyhow, thanks everyone, I love this site!

Leah

I'll be on Star next week in the same type of suite...opposite corner in the front. I'll let you know if I feel a lot more motion in that particular area!

We just got off the Pearl having stayed in 10000, a SE suite that is forward. The first 2 days were rough and there was definitely more motion in our cabin than on Deck 7 in the atrium (which is where we hung out during those two days). Our butler brought us Bonine and that helped a lot! I will definitely bring that on my next cruise. That said, the next 5 days were calm seas and staying in our cabin was wonderful. It was huge, the balcony was big enough to host a cocktail party for 10, and we relished the comfort. I cranked that espresso machine all day long! So hopefully you'll have calm seas: if not, head for lower down and mid ship, take your pills, and ask your butler for green apples! (they really help, too). Gorgeous cabin ahead for you.

We had a forward cabin on the Gem 5 years ago & rode north to NYC through a nor'easter with 25 foot seas. I don't think location mattered all that much (we road down in one this past Janaury on a mid deck cabin & you could feel it everywhere). In the front I did feel like I was on a motor boat . . . you could feel every slap of the waves in those high, high seas. It made no difference in the calmer waters.

I don't think you can get bonine in Canada without a prescription. Am I wrong? Anyhow, thanks everyone, I love this site!

Leah

Bonine is just gravol. On my last cruise I asked my doctor about bonine after reading about it on the message boards and she said it's just gravol. I took one every night just like bonine is mentioned and never had an issue.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Leah, I was on a 12 day cruise in 1999 where a hurricane followed us the entire vacation. Many people onboard were pretty sick. I bought the sea-sickness bracelet after feeling a little queasy in the ship store. Amazing! I was fine for the entire cruise! I don't cruise anywhere without the bracelets. They really do work...you can buy these bracelets in drug stores for about $10.00. If you forget to get it before you step onto the ship, they are sold onboard in their store. Good luck and have a wonderful time! Maryann

Leah, I was on a 12 day cruise in 1999 where a hurricane followed us the entire vacation. Many people onboard were pretty sick. I bought the sea-sickness bracelet after feeling a little queasy in the ship store. Amazing! I was fine for the entire cruise! I don't cruise anywhere without the bracelets. They really do work...you can buy these bracelets in drug stores for about $10.00. If you forget to get it before you step onto the ship, they are sold onboard in their store. Good luck and have a wonderful time! Maryann

Thank you, I sure will!!!

Thanks evertyone! I look forward to hearing from cheshyrkat about their experience in the Dawn suites!!!

Wow, a butler brought you bonine - that is so nice! Didn't even know they would do that, good service!

I am super excited again....received our letter from the ncl concierge, so I ordered all my little complimentary perks.....I think I'm gonna be hammered the whole cruise, tee hee......my DH doesn't drink and I get a bottle of rum, tequila and wine.......the wine, no problem.....the others, well....I may have to share!!!!

Leah

Thanks evertyone! I look forward to hearing from cheshyrkat about their experience in the Dawn suites!!!

Wow, a butler brought you bonine - that is so nice! Didn't even know they would do that, good service!

I am super excited again....received our letter from the ncl concierge, so I ordered all my little complimentary perks.....I think I'm gonna be hammered the whole cruise, tee hee......my DH doesn't drink and I get a bottle of rum, tequila and wine.......the wine, no problem.....the others, well....I may have to share!!!!

Leah

Browniegirl- I am in the dawns owners suite 10006 in July so I can't wait to hear about your experience!!! This will be our first NCL cruise and I am as excited as you!! Unfortunately hubby drinks to so I have to share the bottles :).

Please come back an give us your opinion!!

Enjoy your cruise!!

Tam

Leah

We'll be on Star...But they are sister ships, so they should be similar in layout, but different in decor.

Browniegirl- I am in the dawns owners suite 10006 in July so I can't wait to hear about your experience!!! This will be our first NCL cruise and I am as excited as you!! Unfortunately hubby drinks to so I have to share the bottles :).

Enjoy your cruise!!

Tam

Hi Tam - I will for sure let you know how it is!!! You will love NCL, especially in a beautiful suite........we started our first NCL cruise in an inside cabin....and now can't imagine cruising outside of a suite......very spoiled we are!!!! The suite life is amazing!!!

Leah

Enjoy your cruise!!

Tam

Hi just back from room 10006 and already booked again for next year same room you will have a great time if u want any pics let me know and I can email to u or any more questions

Hi just back from room 10006 and already booked again for next year same room you will have a great time if u want any pics let me know and I can email to u or any more questions

Hi Philip_eunice1 -

so glad to hear from someone who was just in the cabin we will be in! This is our first time on NCL so I have being taking it all in!!

I would love to see any pictures you have - I love daydreaming of where I will be in July! :)

my email is tnealon@cox.net

Did you have any teens with you? We will be with DD and her BFF who are both 14 and was looking for teen activites list?

Thanks so much for the offer!!

~Tammi

Hi just back from room 10006 and already booked again for next year same room you will have a great time if u want any a scs let me know and I can email to u or any more questions

Nice! I have a few questions plz......what is the noise level like? Also what is the wind level like? Can you sit on the fwd deck on sea days? How was the butler?

Thx!

Leah

Archived