New Princess Alaska disembarkation in Vancouver

cescape

This has probably been addressed on these boards but just in case. Princess has a new disembarkation in Vancouver. For $15 each they will check your checked bagage thru to your destination and all you have to do is get on the bus to the airport with your carry on and not have to drag the other luggage around thru customs. There are some restrictions, but overall, a great idea as I have done the Vancouver thing 3 times before and alway dreaded it. However, it is total caos on the ship as there was NO ONE to direct anyone so we spent a good hour just in the line no one was sure it was the right one! They call it "on-board disembarcation" and would be great once they iron out the kinks. One couple sat on the bus to the airport for over an hour untill they finally made they change buses, both going to the exact same place. Anyway, I recomend it as long as you know where to go when you make your final exit from your cabin.

One important thing to note is that you do not, not NOT have to use the Princess transfers in order to take advantage of the program. We used it on Royal Caribbean last year. After we picked up our boarding passes, we hung out in the Platinum lounge until we felt like leaving (well, we never felt like leaving, but they dragged us out anyway). The only downside was that the line to clear Canadian customs was really long, whereas if we'd just disembarked immediately we would have been first through. 'twas worth it to us, since our flight didn't leave until 1:30 and we didn't feel like hanging around the airport for hours on end.

One important thing to note is that you do not, not NOT have to use the Princess transfers in order to take advantage of the program.

You do not need Princess transfers to take advantage of the onboard check in and receiving your boarding pass on the ship.

You do need Princess transfers to take advantage of the quick customs that they do at the Cruise Ship Facility at the Airport. If you do not do Princess transfers, you go through the regular customs line but you will not have to deal with your luggage or stand in line with the airlines.

-----------

We did this a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time for our ship for this season and it was pretty chaoic. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out soon.

Somebody posted on the RCCL thread that the "quick" Customs was a nightmare because there were three cruise ships' worth of people and only two customs agents. Now I understand why he was so streamed.

Since we always do the cautious thing and don't schedule a flight out until the afternoon after a cruise, I'd rather be able to hang around the ship or Canada Place than have to sit at YVR for 5 hours.

I think we've always been really lucky with our arrivals in/departures out of Vancouver. We've never had to wait more than a couple of minutes to get through Customs <crossing fingers that I haven't jinxed it now>

Archived