Drinking Water on Ship

GMRPHRN

I just got back (Feb 16-23) from a Wonderful Vacation on board the Carnival Dream and I wanted to share this because it was information I wondered about. The water on board the Dream was fine. Except for one incident in the dining room at lunch when it tasted funny, I drank lots of water at all my meals while on board. I drank water from the buffet and the Scarlet Dining room as well as several of the night clubs and was pleased.

Actually, per USPH regulations, all water on the ship is chlorinated, and that is probably what you tasted. Sometimes the chlorine goes a little high, and the taste is affected.

The ship produces distilled water from sea water, but can only do that while at sea. If consumption exceeds production, they will take on water from the port, and this water, when blended with the ship's water, may have an aftertaste.

I had no problem with the taste, but it did make me extremely bloated, especially around my feet/ankles. I knew in advance it is distilled from the sea and I assume this was due to the salt content ???

We usually take Crystal Lite or Mio and add just a little if we find the water taste a little different...have done this on cruises as well as land based vacations. I try to drink a lot of water while on vacation (I usually drink about a gallon every day), but I'm on vacation so I usually substiute water for something a little more tasty :o

I had problems with the water on all of my cruises exept the last one. A change in my medicines or maybe because the last ship was an older ship might be the reason for me not experiencing any reactions. We will be sailing on the MSC Poesia in a few weeks and I am anxious about any reactions I might have while on board.

I had no problem with the taste, but it did make me extremely bloated, especially around my feet/ankles. I knew in advance it is distilled from the sea and I assume this was due to the salt content ???

No, actually, it is completely distilled water, no salt, no minerals, etc. It would depend on where you were cruising, as the shore water would possibly be the source of your bloating.

Usually the water is treated after the initial process to add back trace minerals and adjust for hardness. A key additive may be sodium (in fact, Moron Salt Co. is a major manufacturer of water treatment products.) There's no telling how much sodium is in the final product. Although it must be within accepted limits, and completely safe to drink, it is worth being aware of the possibility of higher sodium. To those sensitive to salt, it could makes difference. I drink a great deal of water and after experiencing "cankles" on one cruise, I always bring my own. never had another problem no matter what I eat.

Not a fan of the water on ships or in motels. I usually crack open the bottled water they leave in the room. DH says the water tastes just fine. If you have an intolerance for the taste of water in other cities' motels, then you will have an issue with ship's water.

Usually the water is treated after the initial process to add back trace minerals and adjust for hardness. A key additive may be sodium (in fact, Moron Salt Co. is a major manufacturer of water treatment products.) There's no telling how much sodium is in the final product. Although it must be within accepted limits, and completely safe to drink, it is worth being aware of the possibility of higher sodium. To those sensitive to salt, it could makes difference. I drink a great deal of water and after experiencing "cankles" on one cruise, I always bring my own. never had another problem no matter what I eat.

Actually, it is called a "re-hardening" filter. What does is dissolve calcium carbonate in the water, mainly to neutralize the acidity of the water, and add a very small amount of minerals to keep the slightly acidic distilled water from leaching minerals from your teeth.

The only ship that had a bad taste to me was the Fantasy. I couldn't drink the water as it tasted like chlorine the entire 5 days we were on her. That's the only Carnival ship I have been on up to this point. All the other ships had good to very good water. RCCL and Celebrity ships had the very good water. Could be because the Fantasy was a much older ship than the others.

I didn't mention this in my review of our Liberty crise, but I was surprised at the number of water fountains available AND the quality of the water, which tasted fine. I was expecting a really dire taste (thanks to posts here on CC) and hadn't been impressed on my other cruises, but it tasted fresh...actually better than my water at home in Georgia!

Not a fan of the water on ships or in motels. I usually crack open the bottled water they leave in the room. DH says the water tastes just fine. If you have an intolerance for the taste of water in other cities' motels, then you will have an issue with ship's water.

Wow. :confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

So THATS why my ankles look like tree trunks now....lol! I just got off the Glory and i have to say the water tasted great...probably better than mine at home! The heat and humidity probably play a role too but I could barely fit into my flipflops by the end of the cruise...I bought myself a little anklet that will eventually have to be shortened as i had to get it big enough to wrap around my gigantic (and im not exaggerating) cankle! :eek:

Thats okay Ill make it into a set of matching ear rings (they are gold little star fishes....very cute :p )

The swelling may actually be due to something other than the water. Maybe a higher sodium content in the foods in general. Or the body didn't know how to handle all the chillaxing. :p

Actually, it is called a "re-hardening" filter. What does is dissolve calcium carbonate in the water, mainly to neutralize the acidity of the water, and add a very small amount of minerals to keep the slightly acidic distilled water from leaching minerals from your teeth.

So would the ship's water be ok to use in a CPAP machine, instead of schlepping my own gallon of distilled water on board?

Absolutely. I've had many people (and many responses on these boards) that use the ship's water without problem. If you are really concerned, ask guest services for distilled water, and they will normally take a container down to the engine room, and we will fill it up straight from the distiller, before it gets chlorinated and re-hardened.

I just got back (Feb 16-23) from a Wonderful Vacation on board the Carnival Dream and I wanted to share this because it was information I wondered about. The water on board the Dream was fine. Except for one incident in the dining room at lunch when it tasted funny, I drank lots of water at all my meals while on board. I drank water from the buffet and the Scarlet Dining room as well as several of the night clubs and was pleased.

I think sometimes the funny taste was from something else other than the water itself. It happened twice recently when we were in local restaurants. One out of four cups of water just tasted funny. I don't think they would use different water, so it must be the cup. Maybe it was the residual of the detergent?

So would the ship's water be ok to use in a CPAP machine, instead of schlepping my own gallon of distilled water on board?

For a week? Yeah, that equipment will be fine. You would probably have issues with buildup if you used it for months. Certainly no issue medically.

Absolutely. I've had many people (and many responses on these boards) that use the ship's water without problem. If you are really concerned, ask guest services for distilled water, and they will normally take a container down to the engine room, and we will fill it up straight from the distiller, before it gets chlorinated and re-hardened.

Thank you! That will make the next cruise a bit easier with packing. :D

Many do, but I'd go with what your Dr recommends.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Because of forgetfulness, I've had to use tap water in motels before, and the doctor said it's not a health concern but a mechanical one with the machine. I just didn't want to do it for a whole week with unfamiliar water.

Archived