Finding the perfect cruise - during peak season

Hello all,

My parents have mentioned that they would like to go on a cruise for their anniversary...which is 26 Dec...prime peak season..but not for another couple of years..

We are thinking of selecting the date / cruise (that suits us) & then inviting any extended family & friends who would like to come along (so then those details are not up for discussion!).

Now, cruising on that date itself is not a requirement (but desirable), but the fact that we own a small business & can only get away during xmas / nye or long weekends (Australia Day, Easter?) is a problem.. alway has been.. hence this trip being so special.

So, experience cruisers, bargain hunters, what tips / suggestions do you have when looking for a cruise during peak season? I assume that their cheapest price is when they release the cruise? Does this depend on the cruiseline when dates are released? ...getting nervous already that this will become a very expensive holiday!

Any help is appreciated!

Hi

There are so many options, it depends on how far you want to venture.

As peak period (xmas- new year) is when your looking at, and if you dont want to venture to far ( 7 to 21 nights) it is probably going to be a NZ or South Pacific cruise.

Usually you will find the bargains to be had are when there are lots of empty cabins still available just a couple of months out from the cruise date, but I think you will find slim pickings of cheapies for xmas/new year period as they are in high demand for obvious reasons. However, with increased supply (more ships coming down to Oz/NZ) the options increase, but it sounds like you will need a bit of lead time to get the wider family coralled in, so last minute bookings are not going to work for you.

Not all is lost however...if you can get all the family locked into a date set, you may be able to score a block of cabins at a good rate. Easier said than done however...we tried the same thing you were doing a couple of years ago with our mob, had a group of 20, but it was like trying to herd cats, and in the end everyone did their own bookings piece meal.

I think in reality, you will need to book early on and pay a premium. They like to call them earlybird rates, but in my opinion they are mug rates, coz they know a large % of people have to plan ahead, and get holidays, work, kids, and other ducks all lined up.

They do have 'specials' that pop up, and dissappear pretty quickly, so the only way you can take advantage of them is if all your family are locked in, and you can swoop when they arise..easier said than done however.

Good luck with your project :)

Cheers, Steve

yes -- I also think that you are going to have to book well ahead. I would look at RCI ships - as it seems to me that RCI "glossy brochure" prices (suitable only for cruise virgins and/or people who have limited time options) are much lower than other cruiseline glossy brochure prices. Anyway, for you, the various cruiseline glossy brochures will be the starting point for any plans.

Barry

Hi

There are so many options, it depends on how far you want to venture.

As peak period (xmas- new year) is when your looking at, and if you dont want to venture to far ( 7 to 21 nights) it is probably going to be a NZ or South Pacific cruise.

Usually you will find the bargains to be had are when there are lots of empty cabins still available just a couple of months out from the cruise date, but I think you will find slim pickings of cheapies for xmas/new year period as they are in high demand for obvious reasons. However, with increased supply (more ships coming down to Oz/NZ) the options increase, but it sounds like you will need a bit of lead time to get the wider family coralled in, so last minute bookings are not going to work for you.

Not all is lost however...if you can get all the family locked into a date set, you may be able to score a block of cabins at a good rate. Easier said than done however...we tried the same thing you were doing a couple of years ago with our mob, had a group of 20, but it was like trying to herd cats, and in the end everyone did their own bookings piece meal.

I think in reality, you will need to book early on and pay a premium. They like to call them earlybird rates, but in my opinion they are mug rates, coz they know a large % of people have to plan ahead, and get holidays, work, kids, and other ducks all lined up.

They do have 'specials' that pop up, and dissappear pretty quickly, so the only way you can take advantage of them is if all your family are locked in, and you can swoop when they arise..easier said than done however.

Good luck with your project :)

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for wishing me luck - sounds like i need it! I have good intentions of getting the best price for everyone but i think i will stick with my parents preferences along with our own. Maybe narrow down 2 x cruises & let my parents choose from there.. & THEN invite everyone else along to what we have booked in.

May be a funny question, but i had a friend travel to NZ on the X this past NY & she said that sitting my the pool / balcony was simply too windy to enjoy. I really want to avoid this - other options appear to be the south pacific, QLD & Tasmania ... which do you think would have the 'warmest' weather ?

Thanks for wishing me luck - sounds like i need it! I have good intentions of getting the best price for everyone but i think i will stick with my parents preferences along with our own. Maybe narrow down 2 x cruises & let my parents choose from there.. & THEN invite everyone else along to what we have booked in.

May be a funny question, but i had a friend travel to NZ on the X this past NY & she said that sitting my the pool / balcony was simply too windy to enjoy. I really want to avoid this - other options appear to be the south pacific, QLD & Tasmania ... which do you think would have the 'warmest' weather ?

Hi, I am not going to even contemplate making a judgement on weather :) We have done NZ twice in midsummer , had poor weather first, outstanding second time..what was consistant both times was crossing the Tasman to South Island was heavy weather. But I loved both cruises, and NZ is just an amazing scenic country.

South Pacific weather is more consistant - except it is in the middle of cyclone season, so that is a raffle, but we like all cruising through the Pacific also. Really if your going to travel mid summer, you know you odds on good weather are better than 50%.

If it was me, NZ, if for no other reason - Milford Sound - of all my days on a cruise ship all around the world, standing on deck of a cruise ship inching its way down the Milford is just magical..your parents would be in awe .

good luck

I would also opt for New Zealand unless your family are addicted to beaches, snorkelling and tropical islands. The New Zealand ports have more variety and planning well ahead you can organise group excursions independently of the more expensive ship tours. Many of the Pacific ports require tendering ashore, which is fine but can be time consuming on a larger ship. NZ itineraries have two tender ports only - Akaroa and The Bay of Islands. The Sounds are amazing. We have cruised there 3 times, twice with Princess and once with HAL. On balance I would recommend HAL for the retractable roof on the pool and the lovely aft deck and Princess for the entertainment and the helpfulness of the crew.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If it was me, NZ, if for no other reason - Milford Sound - of all my days on a cruise ship all around the world, standing on deck of a cruise ship inching its way down the Milford is just magical..your parents would be in awe .

good luck

I agree visiting the Sounds is a magical memorable experience, which I'm sure your parents would enjoy. On Century, we were allowed on the front deck (through the backstage of the theatre) and were served a hot drink, which all added to the atmosphere.

I agree visiting the Sounds is a magical memorable experience, which I'm sure your parents would enjoy. On Century, we were allowed on the front deck (through the backstage of the theatre) and were served a hot drink, which all added to the atmosphere.

I agree - Milford is magical. We have done the Christmas New Year cruise twice. Once on Diamond Princess and then Celebrity Century. Both excellent.

We found we got a great deal on Celebrity, and then got a price drop in June and that was even on the scarce accessible cabins. I also notice the Diamond Princess had great deals last Christmas as the cruise market down under has become very competitive with the arrival of even more ships!

You will also find that the C/NY period tends to mean the ships are full of families, and often multiple generations. I think that is a good thing. The kids are always well accommodated too.

I would also opt for New Zealand unless your family are addicted to beaches, snorkelling and tropical islands. The New Zealand ports have more variety and planning well ahead you can organise group excursions independently of the more expensive ship tours. Many of the Pacific ports require tendering ashore, which is fine but can be time consuming on a larger ship. NZ itineraries have two tender ports only - Akaroa and The Bay of Islands. The Sounds are amazing. We have cruised there 3 times, twice with Princess and once with HAL. On balance I would recommend HAL for the retractable roof on the pool and the lovely aft deck and Princess for the entertainment and the helpfulness of the crew.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks - to be honest - i think my parents will LOVE whatever we go on. Mum is already dreaming about the week she doesn't have to make the bed, cook or clean!

I do think the destination will very much depend on the dates & cruises available - but great to hear that NZ is a crowd pleaser! DH & I hope to splurge & get them a balcony - would be devastated if it were too cold to use though!

I agree - Milford is magical. We have done the Christmas New Year cruise twice. Once on Diamond Princess and then Celebrity Century. Both excellent.

We found we got a great deal on Celebrity, and then got a price drop in June and that was even on the scarce accessible cabins. I also notice the Diamond Princess had great deals last Christmas as the cruise market down under has become very competitive with the arrival of even more ships!

You will also find that the C/NY period tends to mean the ships are full of families, and often multiple generations. I think that is a good thing. The kids are always well accommodated too.

We like competitive markets!!! Did you book these peak cruises early on?

Happy with familes, whilst i will enjoy a quiet nook, dad will be looking for soem active activity to participate in!

yes -- I also think that you are going to have to book well ahead. I would look at RCI ships - as it seems to me that RCI "glossy brochure" prices (suitable only for cruise virgins and/or people who have limited time options) are much lower than other cruiseline glossy brochure prices. Anyway, for you, the various cruiseline glossy brochures will be the starting point for any plans.

Barry

This made me laugh - glossy brochures - it would be somethign that my family is drawn too!! Lucky they have someone who is a type A planner!

But RCI does look good - they seem to do the south pacific & possibly qld

How far in advance do they release their schedule?

This made me laugh - glossy brochures - it would be somethign that my family is drawn too!! Lucky they have someone who is a type A planner!

But RCI does look good - they seem to do the south pacific & possibly qld

How far in advance do they release their schedule?

We love RCI ships - especially Radiance of the Seas with all the glass everwhere so that you can see the outside from all over the ship. You can also get to the bow of the ship without having to go through back doors etc.

Here is a list of the RCL opening dates.

We love RCI ships - especially Radiance of the Seas with all the glass everwhere so that you can see the outside from all over the ship. You can also get to the bow of the ship without having to go through back doors etc.

Here is a list of the RCL opening dates.

That sounds lovely & thank you for that link.

Does this mean in April they will release info for xmas 2014 + easter 2015 ?

So, approx in April 2014, dates would be release for xmas 2015 & easter 2016?

geez...I don't think i've typed that before.. 2016.

Anyway, another question, for an Aussie booking on RCI out of Aus, do the posts belong in Australia / NZ cruising or the RCI board?

Thank you in advance!!

We love being on a cruise for Christmas, New Year's Eve or both! It is very relaxing and there is no stress. The ship is always beautifully decorated and it feels very Christmassy. We have our 4th Christmas cruise coming up this year. We did one around New Zealand return to Sydney, one Sydney to Auckland and one to the South Pacific. The South Pacific ones tend to be shorter than the New Zealand ones. One of our New Zealand ones had coolish but mostly fine weather and rough crossings, and the other had quite warm weather most of the time and calmer crossings. The South Pacific was warm most of the time.

In my experience, we have booked early and then the price has always continued to rise until final payment. After that I stop looking, so not sure if there are last minute bargains to be had. You could start looking at prices now for the 2013 Christmas cruises and just track what they do right up until they sail. This could give you a good indication of what future prices might do.

With your question of where do your RCI posts belong, you can post them either here or the RCL site. The RCL site will obviously be more specific to that line and ships, but people on this board will have also sailed on that line and can give you their advice and perspectives. I have seen people post the same question in both places.

We love being on a cruise for Christmas, New Year's Eve or both! It is very relaxing and there is no stress. The ship is always beautifully decorated and it feels very Christmassy. We have our 4th Christmas cruise coming up this year. We did one around New Zealand return to Sydney, one Sydney to Auckland and one to the South Pacific. The South Pacific ones tend to be shorter than the New Zealand ones. One of our New Zealand ones had coolish but mostly fine weather and rough crossings, and the other had quite warm weather most of the time and calmer crossings. The South Pacific was warm most of the time.

In my experience, we have booked early and then the price has always continued to rise until final payment. After that I stop looking, so not sure if there are last minute bargains to be had. You could start looking at prices now for the 2013 Christmas cruises and just track what they do right up until they sail. This could give you a good indication of what future prices might do.

With your question of where do your RCI posts belong, you can post them either here or the RCL site. The RCL site will obviously be more specific to that line and ships, but people on this board will have also sailed on that line and can give you their advice and perspectives. I have seen people post the same question in both places.

Thank you Yvette, always very helpful! I can imagine my mum loving the lead up to xmas purely because she won't have to worry about organising a mammoth lunch. I do think that our situation will mean booking early so i'm very keen int he next month to watch out for what becomes available for xmas 2014. Hoping they aren't released inflated already!! .... are they??

Agree with the above. 2013 Xmas/NYE cruises are now pretty well top dollar and booked out. Book as soon as the bookings open and then you can always change cabins later in the year. In Australia, the prices will only go up - they never come down unless you can book with a USA agent that honours price drops in the USA. Many people will book whilst on another criuise during the previous season and that's when prices start to rise (12 months out). For example the price of the 2013 NYE cruise on Radiance of the Seas doubled in one week in early Feb, at the same time all the balcony and Junior Suite cabins were sold out. One week before - everything was available at half the price (the original price).

We like competitive markets!!! Did you book these peak cruises early on?

Happy with familes, whilst i will enjoy a quiet nook, dad will be looking for soem active activity to participate in!

For Christmas 2011 on the Century we booked May 2011 and then June 2011 there was a price drop, saving us $$$. We had an Oceanview Accessible Cabin and it went down $2200 NZD. :D The prices did go up later in the year. And that was booking with an NZ TA.

So there are deals to be had.

Last year I watched the prices on Diamond Princess Christmas only cruise drop as the competing ships were mostly Christmas/ New Year Cruises, as the double whammy was a better 'deal'.

This year Celebrity did run a Inside to Balcony free upgrade for Jan/Feb which was a great deal and we were booking Feb 2014. Even today the C/NY cruise balcony is only a few dollars more than an inside or oceanview.

Just over NZD 2700 - which I think is very good for 12 days.

If you are looking at 2014 can I suggest you perhaps monitor your preferred cruise line this year and see how it is all going. Will be a guide not a dead cert for 2014.

As for cruise line, we have only cruised on Princess and Celebrity, both are great. The Century had the edge for us. Looking forward to Solstice Feb 2014.

Reading Cruise critic for hours will become addictive but very informative.;)

In Australia, the prices will only go up - they never come down unless you can book with a USA agent that honours price drops in the USA.

Not quite right, as people have gotten price drops locally from RCL.

But the US has the most relaxed conditions, due to being the most competitive market.

When one mentions of booking early, how early is that? When cabins are release? (ie April 2013 for Xmas 2014?)

Currently, cruises for Xmas 2013 are around the $150 per day mark, how much of an increase is this compared to when fares are released? (i know i'll find out in a months time...but what can I say, i'm eager!!)

We booked the Xmas/New Year cruise to Nz on the Oosterdam last June. The price dropped just over 30%. We managed to get a very good deal on a balcony cabin which wasn't much more than an outside cabin.

A balcony cabin was great to have, even though we didn't use it that much crossing the Tasman. But used it when cruising in and out of port. The cabin also felt larger with the glass doors and being able to see out to sea.

When one mentions of booking early, how early is that? When cabins are release? (ie April 2013 for Xmas 2014?)

Currently, cruises for Xmas 2013 are around the $150 per day mark, how much of an increase is this compared to when fares are released? (i know i'll find out in a months time...but what can I say, i'm eager!!)

Hubby & I booked our next cruise (Voyager of the Seas NYE cruise December 2013) in January this year whilest we were still on our last cruise.

Archived