Please Help Ultimate Beverage Lets Get Fact

Cruisegirl6

[Question:

How does one go about purchasing the UBP after boarding the ship? Or is it available when you check in before boarding? If we buy a drink before purchasing the UBP will the drinks be removed from the bill after purchasing the UBP?

Answer:

There will be setups onboard through out the ship where you would be able to purchase the Ultimate Beverage package. No any drinks that are purchased before would not go under the UBP.

by

NCLSTAFF85

- MIAMI]

Just came across this post on the NCL site for the Sun. The NCL guy says that whatever drinks you buy prior to buying the UBP are not covered under the UBP once purchased. Anyone have a different experience? Planning on grabbing a drink as soon as boarding then wander around until we find the sign up spot. Don't want the first (or 3) drinks to be full price plus pay for the UBP....

The NCL guy says that whatever drinks you buy prior to buying the UBP are not covered under the UBP once purchased. Anyone have a different experience? Planning on grabbing a drink as soon as boarding then wander around until we find the sign up spot. Don't want the first (or 3) drinks to be full price plus pay for the UBP....

I don't have personal experience with UBP but here's food for though: there is no way for NCL to know if the drinks purchased before UBP (especially more than 1) are consumed by you or by others who would not be getting UBP - we buy rounds of drinks with our friends all the time. If you want a package deal, do purchase it instead of separate items, it's not that hard to find the correct location (especially if you read others' experiences here and know where to head once onboard).

I don't have personal experience with UBP but here's food for though: there is no way for NCL to know if the drinks purchased before UBP (especially more than 1) are consumed by you or by others who would not be getting UBP - we buy rounds of drinks with our friends all the time. If you want a package deal, do purchase it instead of separate items, it's not that hard to find the correct location (especially if you read others' experiences here and know where to head once onboard).

Very good point, hadn't thought of that.

Spicy1 you can also pre purchase the UBP, just call the 800 and have them add it to your reservation... The it will be on your S&S card whether you have the sticker on it yet or not.

My experience is you need the sticker on the card for them to charge you appropriately. This caused quite an uproar for people on the Breakaway that pre-purchased the package, they had to wait in the same line as people who didn't pre-purchase to get the sticker. Without that sticker, the bartenders have no way of knowing who purchased or not.

Only advantage of pre-purchasing is that it is paid off before you get on the ship, otherwise you wait like everyone else.

Edited by Mikeyz30

Only advantage of pre-purchasing is that it is paid off before you get on the ship, otherwise you wait like everyone else.

Depending on the embarkation port, there might also be taxes added to the price when purchasing the package while the ship is still in the port and/or national waters - this can be avoided by pre-purchasing.

Edited by Demonyte

My experience is you need the sticker on the card for them to charge you appropriately. This caused quite an uproar for people on the Breakaway that pre-purchased the package, they had to wait in the same line as people who didn't pre-purchase to get the sticker. Without that sticker, the bartenders have no way of knowing who purchased or not.

The line was insane to get the sticker. For those of you sailing on the Breakaway: Do not go to Mixx bar. Go to the atrium café - they had the stickers there as well! No line!

Edited by jenny105

Just off the GEM and the UBP was well worth it imo. I tried lots of different drinks and pretty much everything was included, and I was told they have to tell you if what your ordering is not included. I would hope in future NCL fixes the folio because omg what a shock to see your bill lol ok am I the only 1 who went to the pursers desk repeatedly just to be sure I wasn't being billed lol. I talked to a couple of guys, who said they wanted to get the UBP and the DW said no because they would never ever ever drink that much, and they all said next time they're getting it. I also met a few who smuggled and they were ordering drinks in between running to their rooms for refills, i've been there done that, so i sat laughed and just ordered another drink. My bill after the 9 day cruise was 58 bucks, and only because i went to Maderno, and i tipped extra.

The line was insane to get the sticker. For those of you sailing on the Breakaway: Do not go to Mixx bar. Go to the atrium café - they had the stickers there as well! No line!

Just off the Breakaway. What I wish we did - wait in line to be seated at Taste/Savor (15 minute wait this week - extra full ship), and send DH to the Atrium to get UBP and soda package stickers. Unfortunately, we did not do this, so we drank water with our meal, hurried up to the Atrium, only to be told that the stickers wouldn't be sold until after the muster drill starting in 1/2 hour.

After muster, waited on the huge line in the Atrium, and then rushed up for the sail away. I got my first glass of wine going under the bridge. Needless to say, not very relaxing. Those that ordered the package ahead of time did have a shorter line at the bar, vs. the bakery right next to it. However, most folks didn't realize there were two lines.

ETA - well worth the price! We definitely made it worth our while, and it really isn't hard. An average glass of wine is $9, cocktails around $7. DH is a beer drinker, and was happy to drink his fill of Newcastle, instead of suffering through buckets of beer, like usual. It was so nice to try a drink of the day, a mimosa in the morning, grab a glass of wine at the buffet, a drink in the theater... Definitely enhanced the vacation, and not one hangover.

Edited by mjkacmom

We pre-purchased the UBP for our 10/13-10/20 Breakaway sailing.

We boarded the ship in group 46 ( about 12:30 pm) we went to Mixx bar and the wait was about 3-5 minutes to step up and confirm our names on the pre-paid list and receive the stickers that they place on the room key cards. ( what is the official name that NCL give the cards ?? Is it sail and sign ?? I don't know, it was my first cruise ever)

I guess others that sailed Breakaway on other dates had longer waits to either obtain their UBP stickers or pay for the UBP, and there are different interpretations of what a long wait is....

From the time we boarded the Breakaway until we had our first drinks in hand ( Jameson and Ginger and a Grey Goose vodka and cranberry with a smidge of tonic, lol) was about 15 minutes......

And for us the UBP paid for itself. We are by no means big drinkers, but having the UBP gave us an opportunity to try different types of drinks, enjoy wine with our meals and just not worry about what our bar tab was going to be at the end of the cruise.

As I mentioned in a previous thread about the UBP - If you find a bartender that you like and take care of him/her, you will be pleasantly suprised what becomes included under the UBP.

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Question about the UBP and all in the cabin having to purchase.

Both the UBP and the Soda package state that everyone in the stateroom must purchase the package. I was under the impression that this is true for pre-purchases only. I have been on 2 NCL cruises in the last year and on both my family and I had two staterooms. Once we boarded my father purchased 1 Soda package for himself (my mother was also in that stateroom and didn't get the package) and one for my son (who was in the stateroom with myself and DH who didn't get the package).

So if both plans state that all guests in the stateroom must purchase and it was not held true for soda packages purchased once onboard, wouldn't the same be true for the UBP? Has anyone had experience with this?

Question about the UBP and all in the cabin having to purchase.

Both the UBP and the Soda package state that everyone in the stateroom must purchase the package. I was under the impression that this is true for pre-purchases only. I have been on 2 NCL cruises in the last year and on both my family and I had two staterooms. Once we boarded my father purchased 1 Soda package for himself (my mother was also in that stateroom and didn't get the package) and one for my son (who was in the stateroom with myself and DH who didn't get the package).

So if both plans state that all guests in the stateroom must purchase and it was not held true for soda packages purchased once onboard, wouldn't the same be true for the UBP? Has anyone had experience with this?

Except that all are not required to purchase he soda package unless a UBP is purchased. Then, everyone under 21 in the stateroom must purchase the soda package.

NCL requires everyone over 21 in the same stateroom or payment method purchase the UBP.

Both the UBP and the Soda package state that everyone in the stateroom must purchase the package.

As Triptolemus already said, soda package doesn't state that everybody would need to purchase it. There is no requirement for anybody buying the soda package without UBP being in the picture, only in that case all adults need to get the UBP and all under 21 will need to get the soda package. Prepurchasing the UBP should not have any difference compared to getting it onboard.

By the small print at the bottom of a flyer someone had posted before, it showed all passengers on the same credit card had to purchase the package. So I would make sure you use a different card a check in if people are in different cabins.

That seems strange, why would everyone in the cabin need to purchase the package, if I drink and my girlfriend doesn't on every other cruise I have been on, each individual who wanted a package bough a card which identified you a the buyer.

What drink packages are available anyway from soft drinks packages to others?

That seems strange, why would everyone in the cabin need to purchase the package, if I drink and my girlfriend doesn't on every other cruise I have been on, each individual who wanted a package bough a card which identified you a the buyer.

What drink packages are available anyway from soft drinks packages to others?

Their thinking is in the same cabin, or travelling together and you have elected to use one credit card for all, with W&B or UBP, you might get only one and then get drinks for the other person/people. I guess since soda is so cheap, to NCL itself, they are less worried about that if no Alcohol packages are involved.

Here is a good link that has the drink plans. Really 3, Ultimate Beverage Plan, Wine & Beer, or Soda.

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/...and-more#adult

UBP costs $56.35 per person/per day, (with automatic 15% tip). Whether it is worth it or not is a judgement call. I can tell you in my case, I can drink a fair amount and I know my wife will drink significantly less. In my opinion, for our 7 day cruise, it is not worth the $788.90 it would cost. Without it, we will drink a lot less alcohol, maybe 2 to 3 a day for me and 1 or 2 a day for my wife. And some days, we may not even have that many. So I fully expect, that the alcohol we would drink, at regular prices would probably not even run $200 for the whole cruise.

A lot of people here have chimed in and say they thought it was worth it. I don't argue that it may be worth it for them. The key is to realistically ask yourself if both of you will drink enough each day to make it worthwhile. Realize, times you are off the ship will reduce how much you can consume under the plan.

WINE & BEER also requires all/both to buy. The soda plan does not have that requirement.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

Anyone purchased UBP from NCL UK BEFORE the cruise? Id like to buy when the pound is strong against the dollar, anyone from the UK managed to buy in advance via NCL UK or your TA?

Hi - I managed to pre-purchase. I was getting a different story every time I called. Because we are sailing from Barcelona and are a party of six, I wanted to be sure I wouldn't have to pay the local tax and need to buy the package for all. I am sharing with my nephew who is under 21 so just purchased the Soda Pacckage for him and the UBP for me on the same card. They didn't ask about the rest of my party who will be paying each room seperately.

One interesting thing did happen and I don't know why. When they sent my reciept for the purchase both myself and my nephew where given $25 complimentary onboard spending money. I asked why and they didn't know. Im not complaining!

As you have to pay tax until outside EU waters hopefully the que will be very short for the first two hours.

Garnett

Hi - I managed to pre-purchase. I was getting a different story every time I called. Because we are sailing from Barcelona and are a party of six, I wanted to be sure I wouldn't have to pay the local tax and need to buy the package for all. I am sharing with my nephew who is under 21 so just purchased the Soda Pacckage for him and the UBP for me on the same card. They didn't ask about the rest of my party who will be paying each room seperately.

One interesting thing did happen and I don't know why. When they sent my reciept for the purchase both myself and my nephew where given $25 complimentary onboard spending money. I asked why and they didn't know. Im not complaining!

As you have to pay tax until outside EU waters hopefully the que will be very short for the first two hours.

Garnett

Great! Thanks for the heads up - Did you call NCL UK direct? We are booked through a travel agent but wondering if we need to call NCL UK direct. Hoping when the dollar is weak to get the best exchange rate.

I get why they do that.... so people don't share one package. But what if the other adult in the room is pregnant (less than 24 weeks or course)?? Or God forbid an alcoholic?

Nobody forces the other passenger to buy the UBP in the first place, it's a possibility within it's rules, not a right that everyone is entitled to.

Great! Thanks for the heads up - Did you call NCL UK direct? We are booked through a travel agent but wondering if we need to call NCL UK direct. Hoping when the dollar is weak to get the best exchange rate.

Hi

We booked via Thompson but I did the upgrade to the UBP direct with NCL UK. I think this is why I got the $50 on board spending money.

Garnett

Yes, unfortunately, the way NCL looks at it, if only one person in a couple drinks alcohol, then you have one of two choices.

1. Do not get the UBP at all, and pay per drink (on your ship tab).

2. Get the UBP for both, if the one person who does drink, thinks they will wind up spending less by buying (2) UBP's vs. paying per drink.

Not very realistic, but that is how they look at it.