Touring in Tangiers

jerseygirl007

The Prinsidam is visiting Tangiers in September. Has anyone had experience with touring this city. Most of what I've read, makes me a little concerned about what to expect. Would love some suggestions on the best way to see this port of call.

I think I would definitely do one of the ships tours as Tangiers is not a place I would want to wonder around in on my own. If you get down into the Medina without a guide you can get turned around very easily. We had a stop there on our TA and I took one of HAL's shore excursion and it was a very nice tour. If I recall it was a tour of the Medina and also to the coastal area where the Atlantic meets the Med, along with Hercule's Cave.

Our CC friends booked a private guide...and he took off with a group who got off earlier than we did...toatlly "blowing us off"....so we found someone else on the dock....it was a poor tour....he did not explain much..and left us to "fend" for ourselves in the market area...TBO...I would not disembark there again...unless I did a ship tour....we don't usually do ships tours...but in this port I think it would be a better idea.! Enjoy!!!!

We were in Tangiers twice and would not dream of doing it on our own,,,,, not even with a private guide. We stuck with provided tour group and were very happy we did. It's fascinating and we're happy to have experienced it but I think most people should opt for ship's sponsored excursion.

It is SO easy to get lost there. :eek:

JMO.......

We have been to Tangers and would also suggest a ship tour. Great place to see but would never do it on our own or off the dock. The market place was wonderful but we had guides at the front and back of our group making sure everyone was accounted for.

We were in Tangiers twice and would not dream of doing it on our own,,,,, not even with a private guide. We stuck with provided tour group and were very happy we did. It's fascinating and we're happy to have experienced it but I think most people should opt for ship's sponsored excursion.

It is SO easy to get lost there. :eek:

JMO.......

I couldn't agree more! I am normally no fan of ship tours especially basic sight seeing tours, but Tangiers is one port I was glad we were part of a large group. The city is fascinating, and walking through the Medina is fascinating, but you can get lost VERY easy and that's before the aggressive vendors try to sell you everything!

Our guide had several 'helpers' along with our group and at one point had us all hurry into an enclosed area where they closed a steel gate to get the aggressive hawkers and vendors to leave us alone.

Take the ship's tour.

I haven't been to Tangier but I have been to Rabat,Fes, Marrakech, Chefchaoeun, Meknes and Casablanca. I did it as a native and not as a part of any cruise or land based tour so I can say I saw it as a native. I have spent a total of 30 days touring and the nut definitely turns backwards there.

I can manage a medina....now, but would not consider doing it for the first time,off a ship for a day trip. Also there is nothing like north american time or accountabilty in their culture. They will do what they want when they want and if something goes wrong it will be enchallah...god willing it works out.

Enchallah we get you back to the ship on time....oh well is a big part of life there. Not that they aren't friendly and helpful but....

I'm not saying that it's not a great place to visit, it is but you have to take your watch off and go with the flow. Not very compatible with a first time cruiser in Morocco unless you know the ropes.

Either that or get off the ship yourself, never lose sight of it and be prepared to negotiate past every street vendor/carpet seller who will want your attention.

Takethe tour...go to a Medina and enjoy the sights and smells and energy but in this case go with that protective ship's tour bubble.

Agree about the ship's tour. Even then, do keep up with the group in crowded areas as I was taking pictures in the market and several times had a brief moment of concern when I lost track where the group had turned. I did find the tour fascinating I must say, but I did miss many great photo ops hustling to keep up with the group. I was not really scared for myself, my camera maybe, but I certainly did not want to lose the group.

The Prinsidam is visiting Tangiers in September. Has anyone had experience with touring this city. Most of what I've read, makes me a little concerned about what to expect. Would love some suggestions on the best way to see this port of call.

Best to stick to a shore excursion if you are worried. We were there last year - it is pretty benign really. But if you have not been to a North African country yet, it can seem a little overwhelming.

Just say no, avoid eye contact and keep moving on if you feel hassled by the hawkers. If you go to another town on a shore excursion that is not so tourist-dependent, you can experience all the intrigue of these old Arabic style cities but not have the in your face experience the "souk" in Tangiers will almost guarantee.

Be sure to have some hot mint tea and bargain if see something you want to buy - rule of thumb we were told on our last cruise is to pay 30% of the asking price which means you have to start out lower before you can "agree" to rob him blind and take food from his children's mouth and get it for the "fair" price that was intended all along. No Arab merchant ever loses money in any transaction; so don't worry and walking away which always works too.

Personally, we just pay the offering price if we think it is fair and avoid the hassle if it is something we want. Some find "bargaining" fun. We don't. And often tours will take you to a fixed price shop ( aka the guides brother who is opening the shop just for you!) so you can avoid some of this.

Agree about the ship's tour. Even then, do keep up with the group in crowded areas as I was taking pictures in the market and several times had a brief moment of concern when I lost track where the group had turned. I did find the tour fascinating I must say, but I did miss many great photo ops hustling to keep up with the group. I was not really scared for myself, my camera maybe, but I certainly did not want to lose the group.

All valid points Wander. The Medina is full of great photos and twists and turns and stopping for 60 seconds could leave you lost. I'd be ok doing that in Rabat,Fes and Marrakech now but I remember my first experience and way too much sensory overload to stop and enjoy it. I also was uncomfortable taking a lot of pictures in the Medina. For many Moroccans having their picture taken can:

A) invite an excuse to ask for money because you then owe them

B) they can be deeply suspicious of the camera and having their image taken-soul stealing-seriously.

C) they are so lovely I was very aware of my picture taking akin to taking pictures like I was in the zoo it just didn't make me feel right in a lot of cases unless I had the time to stop and talk to the person to establish that personal connection that made it ok. I suspect a group tour-they see you coming and know the drill makes it better somehow.

Take the ship's tour......if something goes wrong it will be enchallah...god willing it works out.

Enchallah we get you back to the ship on time....oh well is a big part of life there. Not that they aren't friendly and helpful but..........

Tee hee, If I am not mistaken and sorry to be a spelling maven but I loved the ecumenicalism of this: challah is the Jewish Friday evening bread and "Inshallah" is the Muslim "If God is Willing" request.

My favorite "Inshallal" came as the flight attendants were announcing the arrival at a Pakistan airport - Pkease return your tray tables and seats to an upright position and we will be landing in Peshawar in XYZ minutes ...... Inshallal." (:confused: :eek:)

Yeah, me too. And who knows how to spell arabic words anyway. Sorry, but it seemed like a good play on words here.

Tee hee, If I am not mistaken and sorry to be a spelling maven but I loved the ecumenicalism of this: challah is the Jewish Friday evening bread and "Inshallah" is the Muslim "If God is Willing" request.

My favorite "Inshallal" came as the flight attendants were announcing the arrival at a Pakistan airport - Pkease return your tray tables and seats to an upright position and we will be landing in Peshawar in XYZ minutes ...... Inshallal." (:confused: :eek:)

Yeah, me too. And who knows how to spell arabic words anyway. Sorry, but it seemed like a good play on words here.

I have seen it translated a number of ways similar to Fes/Fez, Marrakesh/Marrakech.....anything goes there.

Enchallah, Incha Allah, Inchallah- seems like anything goes when translating from arabic and especially Moroccan darija which is not a traditionally written language like classic arabic but a verbal one with a lot of Berber words thrown in.

I do like the enchallah catch phrase thrown in everywhere... it's like Eh in Canada. God willing to everything because you certainly can't count on anything there and even something as proven as a plane landing would be suspicious and a god willing thrown in for good measure.

Up in the high Atlas the car was so cold it wouldn't start one morning. Enchallah this little fire we will light under the oil pan will work. Enchallah it did. :eek:

The Hamsa hand/hand of Marion is another one up for debate of interpretation but I have one as a necklace...to ward off the evil eye. Oh the evil eye is alive and well there.Trust me.

Sorry for the thread drift......

I am grateful for all the great information. Does anyone have anything to add about HAL sponsored tours that visit:

- Asilah

- Cap Spartel (Hercules’ Caves)

- Tetouan

Those 3 destinations seem to be the places to choose from on HAL tours from Tangier.

Thanks in advance!

Archived