Has anyone ever heard of...

schittenden

... a Carnival Cruise that starts in say, Miami, but picks up new passengers in a foreign port along the way?

I saw a comment from a purported "former Carnival employee" who claims that historically their ships left Miami 75-80% full and picked up the remaining passengers in other ports of call. They claim that post-Triumph, some cruises are 41% booked out of the US with the remaining passengers from other ports of call. This seems very suspicious to me. First, I've never heard of it, but doesn't mean it can't happen. Second, it seems unlikely that this soon after Triumph bookings would vary that much given the lead time with which most cabins are booked and become nonrefundable, i.e., almost any cruise at this point would have been nonrefundable before the Triumph incident.

I recall that happening on one ship calling on Barbados, and ships leaving NOLA picking up additional pax in Tampa.

I agree, that is the only two multiple (US based anyway) embarkation points I have ever heard of.

When the Victory sailed from San Juan it also had embarkation in Barbados. I assume it is the same for the Valor. There was a repositioning cruise to New Orleans that did make a stop in Tampa and people could embark or debark.

I also don't see any scheduled Carnival Cruises out of NOLA with a port call in Tampa. Some stop in Key West, but Carnival doesn't offer departures out of Key West. I know my NCL cruise out of NOLA didn't go to Tampa. Were you thinking of another line?

I also don't see any scheduled Carnival Cruises out of NOLA with a port call in Tampa. Some stop in Key West, but Carnival doesn't offer departures out of Key West. I know my NCL cruise out of NOLA didn't go to Tampa. Were you thinking of another line?
The New Orleans cruise mentioned is not current but used to happen.

When the Victory sailed from San Juan it also had embarkation in Barbados. I assume it is the same for the Valor. There was a repositioning cruise to New Orleans that did make a stop in Tampa and people could embark or debark.

That's interesting, but San Juan is only sort-of a U.S. port. I don't know that I'd think of that being a U.S. port for this purpose. The person was clearly implying a departure from Miami. Also, a repositioning cruise seems like a special animal as it isn't a closed-loop itinerary.

Tampa would still be a US Port, though. This person is implying that people are boarding in foreign ports. Barbados would be an example of that.

Oh, then you mean currently. No clue.

Here's the exact language of the Carnival employee...

I work for Carnival cruise lines and the last cruise only 41% of the ship had been booked in the US, all other bookings were from other ports of call. Normally, we are 75 to 80% booked from the US ports.

Read more:

Here's the exact language of the Carnival employee...

I work for Carnival cruise lines and the last cruise only 41% of the ship had been booked in the US, all other bookings were from other ports of call. Normally, we are 75 to 80% booked from the US ports.

Read more:

Booked and board are two different things. Is English his native language?

I don't really have any way of knowing. It just struck me as odd. They also commented on taking a better paying job from Hilton, where they don't have to be away from home for a month at a time. That sounded odd to me too. Just thinking it sounds like someone making stuff up.

Booked and board are two different things. Is English his native language?

I was thinking the same thing! Maybe only 41% of the passengers were US citizens and the others were not. Doesn't mean they boarded at different ports. I will have to read the article.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

... a Carnival Cruise that starts in say, Miami, but picks up new passengers in a foreign port along the way?

I saw a comment from a purported "former Carnival employee" who claims that historically their ships left Miami 75-80% full and picked up the remaining passengers in other ports of call. They claim that post-Triumph, some cruises are 41% booked out of the US with the remaining passengers from other ports of call. This seems very suspicious to me. First, I've never heard of it, but doesn't mean it can't happen. Second, it seems unlikely that this soon after Triumph bookings would vary that much given the lead time with which most cabins are booked and become nonrefundable, i.e., almost any cruise at this point would have been nonrefundable before the Triumph incident.

I seem to remember many years ago in the dark ages-1981-something like this. They would pick up extra crew, passengers in Nassau and San Juan.Also sometimes entertainers, bands would come on at some of the islands. Of course way back then they also took on extra supplies out of the US and threw trash over the side in the middle of the night. (Yes, I saw it). Maybe someone else remembers this?

I seem to remember many years ago in the dark ages-1981-something like this. They would pick up extra crew, passengers in Nassau and San Juan.Also sometimes entertainers, bands would come on at some of the islands. Of course way back then they also took on extra supplies out of the US and threw trash over the side in the middle of the night. (Yes, I saw it). Maybe someone else remembers this?

Yes, it is common on many cruiselines to have passengers starting their cruise from a different port and ending their cruise at that same port.

Many times it is passengers that are citizens of that country where the port of call is occurring and that is where they embark from and return to.

We have also seen cases where a group of Mormon missionaries embark in the US, leave at an island, and a returning group of missionaries embarks and fills the cabin for the rest of the cruise, and disembarks back in the US.

My husband and I have also done cruises where we have a deal to go to a different port (example, Aruba) and embark the ship, cruise and return to Aruba. The majority of the ship was cruising from San Juan.

As others have mentioned the Valor does this with Barbados. The guests that board in Barbados still sail round trip back to Barbados, they do not end their cruise in San Juan with the people who borded in San Juan.

Archived