Wines by the glass vs by the bottle

jerseygirl3

DH and I have the Classic Drink Package (thanks to the 123 promo) for our cruise next January. It's a 10 night cruise and to upgrade to the Premium would cost an add't $222.00 total.

DH is fine with the wines that fall under the Classic package, but I do like some that I think are not. Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc and LaCrema Pinot Noir to name two. So I'm thinking of not upgrading and just ordering 4 or 5 bottles on the side. Good idea? Anybody know if the wine packages may include the above-mentioned wines. Also, anybody know if the above-mentioned wines are available by the glass in the Premium package?

TIA!

DH and I have the Classic Drink Package (thanks to the 123 promo) for our cruise next January. It's a 10 night cruise and to upgrade to the Premium would cost an add't $222.00 total.

DH is fine with the wines that fall under the Classic package, but I do like some that I think are not. Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc and LaCrema Pinot Noir to name two. So I'm thinking of not upgrading and just ordering 4 or 5 bottles on the side. Good idea? Anybody know if the wine packages may include the above-mentioned wines. Also, anybody know if the above-mentioned wines are available by the glass in the Premium package?

TIA!

Celebrity has a set wine by the glass menu at all of the bars and lounges. I'm a Sauvignon Blanc drinker too, and there is nothing I can drink on the menu.

The MDR and Blu rotate a white and red by the glass, but it changes daily. I found a bottle of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc, and a Malbac that I liked that Celebrity only sold by the bottle. Both were n the $30 dollar range. It was easier to order these by the bottle and have both Cellar masters and the restaurant save the unused portion for the following day.

The drink packages work best for mixed drinks and beer IMO .

TIA!

From what I've read, if you have the Classic package, you can order bottles of wine at a 20% discount. With the Premium package, a 30% discount applies.

Celebrity has a set wine by the glass menu at all of the bars and lounges. I'm a Sauvignon Blanc drinker too, and there is nothing I can drink on the menu.

I like Sauvignon Blanc too - and two years ago when I was on Celebrity there was a nice Pouilly Fume by the glass in the MDR - have they stopped offering a choice of wine by the glass now? :confused:

From what I've read, if you have the Classic package, you can order bottles of wine at a 20% discount. With the Premium package, a 30% discount applies.

I've never heard that. Good to know.

I was just looking over a listing someone had done awhile back listing what is available on the beverage packages and the cost for each item. It gives you an idea of what is under the $8 limit for Classic Package.

I just noticed one of my favs (Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc) is listed as $10 and would be covered under the Premium package. Anybody know if it's still offered under the Premium package?

I know it's available by the bottle, just not sure if it is under the bev package.

I like Sauvignon Blanc too - and two years ago when I was on Celebrity there was a nice Pouilly Fume by the glass in the MDR - have they stopped offering a choice of wine by the glass now? :confused:

On Silhouette in January, I was ordering Michel Redde Pouilly Fume by the glass. It was $11 per glass which was covered under the Premium package. The MDR did run out of it during the cruise, then I switched to Sauvignon Blanc.

They did have the Pouilly Fume on the Century in Dec 12. I strongly suggest upgrading to the premium because it allows you more options by the glass in addition to other cocktails, and the beloved Martini Bar. If you don't like martinis, keep an open mind and try one of their tasty creations. If you have the premium package you can really work with the sommeliers at dinner to find something to match your food that you may not have considered. If you don't like one of their choices, no worries you can get something else. This is always a highlight for me. I drink my favorites at home, and try new things when given the opportunity.

I liked the Pouilly Fume also. Blu has several wines by the glass listed on the wine menu, they only feature a couple of the dinner menu but you can order any wine from that wine list.

I agree that there are not a lot of choices within the classic package price limit, or even the premium really. No matter to us as we only had wine with meals. Bigger issue was getting more than one glass from the overtaxed sommelier in Blu.

Here are a couple of examples from Bistro on Five.

P1010143_zps1d341a8e.jpg

And The Porch:

d66da9d73d934313577ea0cbda5a2eb3.jpg

And Oceanview Cafe Bar

P1010356_zpse85a588e.jpg

Menu at Ensemble Lounge:

P1010178_zps50ff1ec8.jpg

P1010179_zps43415a1b.jpg

In the MDR do the bar waiters and/or sommelier offer wine pairings each evening that fall within the classic package? I won't be upgrading to the premium, but at least on formal night would enjoy a pairing.

In the post two above, is that the entire wine selection for each special restaurant???

:eek:

On the Solstice in february 2012, we ordered Honig Sauvignon Blanc everywhere we went, including the main restaurant. If it is not on "the menu" I am sure they will get it for you. At the martini bar, the bartender, without my even asking, often went over to the Ensemble to get a bottle just for me even though I was a premium package "by the glass" customer. It was never a problem.

I agree that there was not alot of Sauvignon Blanc (SB) for the Classic Package . I really loved the Clifford Bay New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc . If you went to the speciality restaurant you could find Villa Maria SB .

• 4 months later...

We are fortunate in Australia - with New Zealand so close - to get numerous Sauvignon Blancs from that country. I cannot remember all the NZ labels that are in our liquor stores. (starting from $6 for a cleanskin NZ, up to $20-25 for a very a premium S/Blanc)

I have tried Chilean S/Blanc - and thought YUK - I ended up pouring out the wine down the sink.

I wish to could beam across some of the beautiful S/Blancs from N.Z. (those Kiwis certainly know how to make a good drop - I believe its got a lot to do with the soil & climate of the Marlborough region of N.Z.

They certainly will do the pairing. It is not something organized or formal. We just tell the sommelier what we are having and ask to have the wines selected for us within package limits.

Some of the sommeliers are better than others. I had one this year look at me and ask me what I liked. My response, that I was not well educated about wine and would like to try different things that he thought would go with my meals was not very well received.

I found that the sommelier in Tuscan was great, however.

On the Solstice, I had one that was great. Sadly, he worked on the opposite side of the dining room from the waiter we liked best (in e open seating area). The one we were stuck with when we had the waiter we liked was rather worthless. I ended up flagging down the asst. M'd to get a refill from the bottle I bought!

...Anybody know if the wine packages may include the above-mentioned wines. Also, anybody know if the above-mentioned wines are available by the glass in the Premium package?...

Here is a link to a wine list from a recent cruise: http://lfsimon.home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/Celebrity%20MDR%20Wine%20List%20-%20Eclipse%20March%202013.pdf

The first few pages list the wines available by the glass which would be available under the classic package, if $8 or less per glass, or the premium package if under $12 (or at a cost of the price in excess of $12/glass for the premium package). The last two pages of the list show the wines available under the wine bottle packages.

If you closely analyze the wine bottle packages you'll see that the discount can be very small or non-existent depending on which wines you select from the list.

Clifford Bay Sauvignon Blanc price at Dan Murphy's Wine Stores in Australia is $14 (single bottle price) - $13 each in any six bottle package. That wine has to be shipped over to Australia, then delivered to various outlets, then the miscellaneous costings to the liquor store added on - it certainly makes the cruise ship price quite "high" doesn't it.

Clifford Bay Sauvignon Blanc price at Dan Murphy's Wine Stores in Australia is $14 (single bottle price) - $13 each in any six bottle package. That wine has to be shipped over to Australia, then delivered to various outlets, then the miscellaneous costings to the liquor store added on - it certainly makes the cruise ship price quite "high" doesn't it.

Clifford Bay Sauvignon Blanc is commonly available in the USA at discount wine stores for around $10 to $12/bottle and at other retail wine outlets for as high as $15/bottle. While Celebrity's price seems high in relation to this you have to keep in mind that all of the beverage prices on board are restaurant/resort type prices and not intended to be anything near retail prices. Just as you can't go into a nice restaurant and expect to pay the retail cost you can't expect to pay retail on a cruise ship. For example a can of Coke costs $2 on the ship but I can get it at the local grocery store for $0.25 to $0.35/can. That doesn't mean the price on board is high it just means it is different. It is natural, at least in the USA business model, to presume that beverages will be marked up many times the retail pricing as the profit on beverages is a key contributor to a restaurant or resort's profits.

In general we've found that most of the wines on board are priced at 2 to 3 times retail pricing with a few bargains and a few more expensive that that. We've also found that most of the wine list prices are pretty favorable in comparison to prices charged in nicer restaurants around the Chicago area. Considering this the Clifford Bay price does seem a little high as I would have expected a price on board of $25 to $30 based on the local retail price and the price on restaurant menus in our area. On the other hand it isn't too out of line for restaurant type pricing.

So while I think the $36/bottle price is a little high I don't think it is "quite" high.

Sorry if this post is a bit over blown but that's what happens when you get a response from an accountant!

We are fortunate in Australia - with New Zealand so close - to get numerous Sauvignon Blancs from that country. I cannot remember all the NZ labels that are in our liquor stores. (starting from $6 for a cleanskin NZ, up to $20-25 for a very a premium S/Blanc)

I have tried Chilean S/Blanc - and thought YUK - I ended up pouring out the wine down the sink.

I wish to could beam across some of the beautiful S/Blancs from N.Z. (those Kiwis certainly know how to make a good drop - I believe its got a lot to do with the soil & climate of the Marlborough region of N.Z.

Seriously, the ONLY Sav/Blanc are those from New Zealand - totally different wine from other areas!!

Archived