The perfect SAIL AWAY outfit

MarisaBlu

I always bypass the embarkation photographers and any others during the cruise.

Hey Laurie, me too:D.....they are standing there snapping plenty of

pictures and it is just me......I just say, excuse me and walk behind

the photographer and get up to the gangway to board the ship:D

If I am sailing from south FL on a nice day, I board in a swimsuit with a cotton dress over it and head strait to the pool deck after lunch. I also wear a summer-weight cardigan over this in case it gets chilly. I don't change for sailaway and I don't pose for boarding pictures.

If I am sailing from south FL on a nice day, I board in a swimsuit with a cotton dress over it and head strait to the pool deck after lunch. I also wear a summer-weight cardigan over this in case it gets chilly. I don't change for sailaway and I don't pose for boarding pictures.

Sharon....hey there:D....when are you going on Silhouette?:)

I am sailing her April 7th.......hope you have a great time:D

I never knew I was supposed to have a "sail away" outfit!!! I usually wear something that I already have. Never do anything special. It'll most likely be either one of my pairs of pants or shorts (depending on location), and a casual shirt or layered sweater (depending on vacation)...

Good Evening Ladies

Thank you for all your replies, and I also wanted to rephrase (clarify) what I meant when I posed the question of "the perfect sail away outfit".

What I was referring to, of course, is the actual EMBARKATION/Sailaway outfit.

I did not explain fully, and I understand, that in the short time between embarkation and Sailaway, we are not necessarily going to change twice!!

It's just such an exciting day, and I think that looking and feeling special is such a great start to any vacation, especially a much anticipated cruise!

The consensus with all you elegant ladies on this forum, and generally sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, is a lightweight pant paired with a non t-shirt top/blouse

With sandals or other comfortable footwear, and of course jewelry, and a tote bag, light coverup if its windy...the trick of course is to look stylish, and comfortable, totally at ease and confident in your choices.

I tend to over-shop and sometimes end up with the wrong things, as I am sure many of you have also.

Really looking forward to our 15 day Transatlantic on the Silhouette in just 4 short weeks..........I have layed out a few things in my guest bedroom, but knowing myself I will end up with way too much "Just in Case", outfits that I

Will not wear...............have not decided on the Embarkation/Sailaway one YET!

Hugs!

On Embarkation Day, I usually always wear a strapless maxi dress (always prepared for good weather and some sunshine) and, if chilly, I add a lightweight sweater/shrug or denim jacket/blazer over it. I'm another non-poser for photos and go directly onto the ship and I also don't change for sailaway.

I take two dresses a day for each day of my cruise (one day/one night). Usually they are all maxi dresses--I just find this type of dress so comfortable for cruising. Never had a problem with wind--maybe because they're long. I also take a sunhat to match each daytime dress (usually only take about 4 of them for a 7 day cruise, as I try to pack all my dresses around one color scheme so they can do double duty).

On Sunday, I'm leaving out of Baltimore and the outfit is a long black dress with denim jacket. The weather went from being sunny and high 50's to rainy and mid 40's. So, I'll have a packable sunhat in my tote (can double as a rainhat if necessary), thin leather gloves, a thin scarf, sunglasses and a ruana, just in case. I'll be prepared for whatever the weather will be. Also, I'll be wearing a wedge type thong shoe. I'll have a pair of socks in my tote, too, just in case my feet are cold while I'm relaxing on deck awaiting sailaway.

On Embarkation Day, I usually always wear a strapless maxi dress (always prepared for good weather and some sunshine) and, if chilly, I add a lightweight sweater/shrug or denim jacket/blazer over it. I'm another non-poser for photos and go directly onto the ship and I also don't change for sailaway.

I take two dresses a day for each day of my cruise (one day/one night). Usually they are all maxi dresses--I just find this type of dress so comfortable for cruising. Never had a problem with wind--maybe because they're long. I also take a sunhat to match each daytime dress (usually only take about 4 of them for a 7 day cruise, as I try to pack all my dresses around one color scheme so they can do double duty).

On Sunday, I'm leaving out of Baltimore and the outfit is a long black dress with denim jacket. The weather went from being sunny and high 50's to rainy and mid 40's. So, I'll have a packable sunhat in my tote (can double as a rainhat if necessary), thin leather gloves, a thin scarf, sunglasses and a ruana, just in case. I'll be prepared for whatever the weather will be. Also, I'll be wearing a wedge type thong shoe. I'll have a pair of socks in my tote, too, just in case my feet are cold while I'm relaxing on deck awaiting sailaway.

Hi There

Your Maxi Dresses sound absolutely fabulous and style savvy!

I never thought of wearing a maxi dress, but it's a great idea, and so comfortable and versatile, when pairing with a shrug, or sweater. I bought a Karen Kane Maxi in gorgeous varying shades of blue last year that would be perfect. Since we are out of Lauderdale on April 14, the weather should be good for it, but I would also, of course pair it with a coverup, sandals and jewelry.

I usually do pants and an interesting top, but the dress idea sounds great.

One thing about the maxis: If you plan to wear that dress on a flight, be prepared for a possible TSA "full monty" putdown, which includes pulling up your dress so they can pat the inside of your thighs up to your "resistance" (TSA terminology for where your legs meet your torso :eek:).

I also didn't mean changing from boarding clothes into sail away clothes. I just meant that I don't have any special outfits just for that first day. Not to say I don't buy some new clothes for a trip. For my upcoming trip, I didn't have any non-business pants that really fit right now (lost some weight over the winter), so I found a nice pair of linen pants at Athleta to take along with my jeans. This isn't a cruise, but a city trip in Europe, so my dress standards are different than a Caribbean cruise.

I usually wear either super light weight loose white pants or shorts ( not short shorts) dressy in style with a bright cheery top. Usually sleeveless. I usually said out of Miami in April so its sunny and warm. Plus, I know I will be dancing alot at the sail away and need to be comfy and cool.

We usually have to fly in on the red eye the day previous to boarding, and because of luggage costs these days , I try to pack and dress with mix and match in mind and layering also. Usually I ware a light weight pair of slacks, and top with a bit of color in it, a light cardigan to match, and have a dressy blouse and heels in my carry on to switch to for dinner the first night , usually works out ok for me. I can not ware the maxi dresses much to my dissappointment , because I am a bit short and they just do not suit me, but I envy you ladies that can ware them.

Enjoy your cruise

Cori

Like some others have said, I always like to look a little nautical so white, navy, khaki, etc. Some also don't like the whole nautical look, I embrace it haha!

I just got a really cute pair of anchor shorts from J. Crew, can't wait to wear them on my next cruise!

You can see what I wore here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35202244&postcount=25

I am so excited about my up coming cruise in less then a month!!

Since we will be flying in the night before and traveling from a warm climate to a warmer climate...I plan on wearing my 'heaviest/bulkiest' clothes on the plane which will be capri's, shirt, and some type of light sweater.

The next day when we board I'll wear what ever the weather dictates. I like the idea of wearing a bathing suit under a maxi.

Like some others have said, I always like to look a little nautical so white, navy, khaki, etc. Some also don't like the whole nautical look, I embrace it haha!

I just got a really cute pair of anchor shorts from J. Crew, can't wait to wear them on my next cruise!

You can see what I wore here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35202244&postcount=25

Hi Cruising Gator Girl

Your review was fantastic, and you look very lovely and polished in your cruise outfit!

My daughter also used to live in Tampa and now has moved to Atlanta.

I would like to read the rest of your review, but it cut off on the link.

Hi Cruising Gator Girl

Your review was fantastic, and you look very lovely and polished in your cruise outfit!

Aww thank you! Does she like Atlanta or Tampa better? We like Atlanta but miss the water!

In my signature is the link to my full review :) I'm on my phone, when I get back to my computer I can send you the link if the signature link doesn't work :)

We sail in just under five weeks, and for me I've decided that the fashion police that I've detected in some CC threads won't be on my ship ;)

I like to dress classy/casual/laid back and otherwise enjoy my cruise not thinking 'gee I'm wearing the wrong clothes!'

I have to admit that a while ago I did see a rather nice nautical looking outfit that really tempted me, but the little voice in my head suggested that it was a little too twee for me, so for sailing day casual dressy pants and layered tops for the cool of Autumn Sydney is the go for me.

Hi Cruising Gator Girl

Here is the link to my full review :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095

Hi Everyone

I am new to this board, and have been reading the many different posts, and I would like to express thanks to all the ladies out there who are kind enough to share their personal preferences and cruise experiences.

My question is: What is your personal favourite perfect outfit for Sail Away, whether it is separates, layers, dress etc.

I know it depends on time of year, cruise destination etc.......but you savvy ladies out there must have a great sense of appropriate and fabulous outfits.

We are going on a TA, out of Lauderdale, which will be the first part Caribbean for 4 days, across the Atlantic for 6 days, with the final destination being Rome...

We will encounter hot and not so hot climates on this TA, so versatility, I guess, is the key!

Looking forward to your responses!

A long sundress, sandals and a bathing suit either under it or in my huge carry-on. I also keep a little wrap kinda thing in my carry-on in case the weather is a bit off.

Here is the link to my full review :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095

I literally spent the last 4 hours reading your entire review!!! First and foremost, as a mother you are exactly what we dream our children to become!!!

Congrats .... I really feel as if I just read a great novel, a romantic love story. Seriously, I laughed out loud and also shed a few tears.

Your review just solidified my thoughts on this cruise, I am booked on a very similar itinerary on the Equinox.

Thanks for the day of revisiting some of my favorite places and for having me look forward to some I haven't seen yet.

(Sorry for the hijack!)

I literally spent the last 4 hours reading your entire review!!! First and foremost, as a mother you are exactly what we dream our children to become!!!

Congrats .... I really feel as if I just read a great novel, a romantic love story. Seriously, I laughed out loud and also shed a few tears.

Your review just solidified my thoughts on this cruise, I am booked on a very similar itinerary on the Equinox.

Thanks for the day of revisiting some of my favorite places and for having me look forward to some I haven't seen yet.

(Sorry for the hijack!)

That was so sweet of you to say, thank you! I just feel so lucky and grateful to have parents that took us along on their anniversary cruise! :D

We are thinking of sailing on the Equinox next year, you should write a review ;)

That was so sweet of you to say, thank you! I just feel so lucky and grateful to have parents that took us along on their anniversary cruise! :D

We are thinking of sailing on the Equinox next year, you should write a review ;)

Hi Ashley

I also spent hours reading your fabulous, straight from the heart, story and narrative, with your amazing pictures, about your Family cruise, and I am sure, one of the most important and happiest day of your life, (in spite of the cold).

The day that Tyler proposed to you, while you both gazed at the first lighting of the Eiffel Tower.

Absolutely unforgettable!

I would also like to mention how beautiful, and totally polished you looked in all of your different choices of outfits. I can't believe you took 13 pairs of shoes, including the boots. How long did it take you to prepare for all of it.

My daughter got married in Tampa, at the Grand Hyatt, (after much searching for the right venue), at the same time June 2, 2012, that you were on your cruise. We had a big traditional wedding, with not only all of their friends from Florida, but family from all over, including Italy. We are of Italian descent, and still have strong family ties in Italy, which we visit often.

Around mid June of 2012, my husband and I accompanied our daughter, and her new husband to Paris, to spend a few days together there, (it was also a bit chilly mid June), before they went off on their Mediterranean Cruise.

While they were on their cruise, we picked up a rental car in Paris, and my husband and I set out to drive from Paris to Rome. We drove first through the South of France, stopping along the way, in Provence, and all the picturesque towns and villages along the way, where you really get a different sense of life in France, and it's many splendours, apart from the busy, and crowded cities such as Paris.

After driving through southern France, we crossed the French border, into ITALY!

AHHHHHHH, as we crossed the border, we thought Home, Sweet Home, because as you have guessed, France is nice, BUT, our favourite place in the world is Italy, and of course, we are biased!

We made our way through the Italian Mediterranean Coast, and one of the most picturesque port town in the world, Portofino, which absolutely spectacular, and seemed to be untouched by time.

When their Med Cruise was over, we picked up our daughter at Civitavecchia, as we had an appointed time arranged, spent a day in Rome with relatives, and then went on to Southern Italy, where my relatives were waiting for us to celebrate the Newlyweds.......

Our Son in Law is a absolutely fantastic, and he really enjoyed meeting the other Italian side of the family, and all their hospitality, and, not to mention all the great food served to us.

So technically, we didn't really go along for their Honeymoon, after all we didn't go on the Cruise or anything,.......just joking!

We are so very proud of them, as I am certain, your Mom and Dad, are so very proud of you. You will find out how much joy children bring, when you have children of your own one day...........soooooo thanking you again for sharing your wonderful adventure, and wishing you many more filled with happiness, and good health.

Since, I caught up so late, are you and Tyler married now, and will your home be Atlanta, or Florida?

My daughter and her husband moved to Atlanta, after the Honeymoon, as he was transferred there for work. We loooove Atlanta, and have visited often, in fact I am going there this weekend, and maybe get in some shopping at all the great stores you have there, before my upcoming April 14, Transatlantic Cruise, on the Celebrity Silhouette.

Will keep you posted!

Hugs

Marisa

Ashley, I know this is way off topic and there is no facility to pm but I just have to tell you what a great job you did with the macarons. Honestly they look great.

I visited Laduree many a time as we used to grab long weekends in Paris as it was only a 4 hour drive from where we were in Germany at the time. We had a lovey afternoon tea in the dining room, it was like being transported back in time. I remember the exotic flavour tea I had being delicious and ever so expensive and with macarons of course.

In case you are having withdrawal symptoms, look how pretty the Easter special is presented.

w w w .laduree.fr

I was also in Pairs the week they opened the LV store. (Having watched them build it on a previous trip where it had the ginormous purses covering the windows).

I love Europe and it is only when you are not there you start to appreciate it more. I might live in Orlando at the minute but it is via Scotland;)

So to keep this on topic and so you see it incase it gets moved.....your sail away outfit in your review was very nice:D

1254324138_laduree-restaurantparis.jpg.5caa0c4ab1f58f634ec9ff16cdb8d507.jpg

I can't believe you took 13 pairs of shoes, including the boots. How long did it take you to prepare for all of it.

Around mid June of 2012, my husband and I accompanied our daughter, and her new husband to Paris, to spend a few days together there, (it was also a bit chilly mid June), before they went off on their Mediterranean Cruise.

While they were on their cruise, we picked up a rental car in Paris, and my husband and I set out to drive from Paris to Rome. We drove first through the South of France, stopping along the way, in Provence, and all the picturesque towns and villages along the way, where you really get a different sense of life in France, and it's many splendours, apart from the busy, and crowded cities such as Paris.

We are so very proud of them, as I am certain, your Mom and Dad, are so very proud of you. You will find out how much joy children bring, when you have children of your own one day...........soooooo thanking you again for sharing your wonderful adventure, and wishing you many more filled with happiness, and good health.

Since, I caught up so late, are you and Tyler married now, and will your home be Atlanta, or Florida?

My daughter and her husband moved to Atlanta, after the Honeymoon, as he was transferred there for work. We loooove Atlanta, and have visited often, in fact I am going there this weekend, and maybe get in some shopping at all the great stores you have there, before my upcoming April 14, Transatlantic Cruise, on the Celebrity Silhouette.

Will keep you posted!

Hugs

Marisa

Thank you so much! You are SO kind and sweet!!!

I still can't believe I brought all that too and stayed UNDER weight! I like to have options so if I have room, I will take it haha.

I started preparing about a month before. I laid out clothes in a spare room. I tried out outfits seeing what I could mix/match etc. I actually spent quite a bit of time packing. I also practiced the actual packing part- socks in shoes, belts wrapped around perimeter etc.

I looked at that hotel, gorgeous! I am sure it was a stunning wedding :)

Wow you rented a car! How amazing, that would be a dream!! Thanks for sharing all the details, you should write trip reports :)

No, we are getting married this November and trying to figure out the honeymoon this week. We are still in Atlanta. We like it but do miss the water being born and raised in Clearwater. We are getting married in St. Pete.

Please do keep me posted and you should write a review of your next trip!

-Ashley

Ashley, I know this is way off topic and there is no facility to pm but I just have to tell you what a great job you did with the macarons. Honestly they look great.

I visited Laduree many a time as we used to grab long weekends in Paris as it was only a 4 hour drive from where we were in Germany at the time. We had a lovey afternoon tea in the dining room, it was like being transported back in time. I remember the exotic flavour tea I had being delicious and ever so expensive and with macarons of course.

In case you are having withdrawal symptoms, look how pretty the Easter special is presented.

w w w .laduree.fr

I was also in Pairs the week they opened the LV store. (Having watched them build it on a previous trip where it had the ginormous purses covering the windows).

I love Europe and it is only when you are not there you start to appreciate it more. I might live in Orlando at the minute but it is via Scotland;)

So to keep this on topic and so you see it incase it gets moved.....your sail away outfit in your review was very nice:D

WOW thank you! That is so kind, I didn't think anybody read my blog haha! I need to update it soon. I am so bust with school and my new job. I have never been to the dining room, maybe next time.

Thank you for the kind words! My sail-away jacket came from Target 2 days before the cruise, glad I ran there last minute haha!

Archived