New review on the Century

sammiedawg

See the June 7 , 2005 Cruisecritic newsletter for the link to a new review which mirrors my comments on the condition of the Century.

To quote the review "The worst part of the cruise had to be the condition and appearance of the ship itself. There were always areas of the ship under maintenance, certainly more often that what you'd expect on a normal cruise. The carpets were worn, the jogging track looked like brown pre-owned astroturf, and a majority of signs that needed touching up were done with a Sharpie, and sloppily I may add".

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hi I have just booked myself and my 19 year old cousin on Century 13th August Norwegian Fjords. Im just a bit concerned about the recent reviews. Was it really that bad??? Can you tell me if the service and food has suffered etc....I have been on Millenium last year but never on the older ships. Any feedback much appreciated.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm indeed. Interesting that I couldn't find any posts by okstarsfan here. Seems a bit odd that they would submit a review without any other board interactions.

Perhaps the search feature isn't working properly? Or am I just a just a wee bit too suspicious?

See the June 7 , 2005 Cruisecritic newsletter for the link to a new review which mirrors my comments on the condition of the Century.

To quote the review "The worst part of the cruise had to be the condition and appearance of the ship itself. There were always areas of the ship under maintenance, certainly more often that what you'd expect on a normal cruise. The carpets were worn, the jogging track looked like brown pre-owned astroturf, and a majority of signs that needed touching up were done with a Sharpie, and sloppily I may add".

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Perhaps they can come up with another low CDC score for you, too. Thanks for bringing this 4 month old review to our attention.

Hi Dellas, I was on Century for the 5th time this last January, and I thought she looked just beautiful. I know I am pretty oblivious sometimes, but I, too, had read a lot of negative feedback so I was looking a little harder for flaws than usual. I didn't think she looked nearly as bad as all those people are saying. (My parents' room next to mine smelled like the most disgusting ashtray ever, but this can happen to any ship, depending on the former guests, and the cabin steward was able to eliminate the majority of the smell.) My cabin was absolutely perfect, no signs of wear, very clean.

The food was excellent, the staff was friendly and very attentive as always.

I enjoyed all of the shows put on by the Celebrity Singers and Dancers.

I don't think a worn or stained carpet has ever really spoiled anyone's fun, so do not worry about your upcoming cruise at all. In fact, I'm a little worried because my next cruise is on Summit (time to try Alaska), and I'm afraid she won't live up to the standard that Century has set.

Have a wonderful cruise and be prepared to have the time of your life!

Karen

We just spent 26 days on the Century from May 7th to June 2nd and loved every minute. I can't believe that review was about the same ship we were on... especially the part about being worn but complaining about continued maintenance. We found the ship to be spotless, the service excellent, the food great but only some of the entertainment below expectations. I hated going home. Our travel companions cancelled their Connie crossing in September to be on the Century again in October.

If you have any questions I'll gladly answer them from our recent experience.

I can even give some comparisons to other ships in the fleet

WELCOME back C2C!! Glad to hear you had a good time!! I have been on Century twice also for a total of 28 days, but it was a few years back. Century and Zenith are my current favorite ships. :cool:

Hi I have just booked myself and my 19 year old cousin on Century 13th August Norwegian Fjords. Im just a bit concerned about the recent reviews. Was it really that bad??? Can you tell me if the service and food has suffered etc....I have been on Millenium last year but never on the older ships. Any feedback much appreciated.

Hi Dellas !

Please do NOT be concerned about Century. There are some on here (who shall go nameless) that seem to be on a mission to make this ship look very bad, due to a possible disappointing cruise they may have had. It is a huge case of sour grapes. They use every opportunity to bash this ship. In all honesty, it is getting old to keep reading this same nonsense, over and over. I sincerely wish they would let it go already.

I was on Century a few months ago, (and I have been on her many times) and she is in fine shape. She may not be the newest ship on the seas, but she is an excellent ship. Please make your plans, and dont worry what a few others, who are appararantly on some ridiculous mission, may say. You will more than likely be very happy with Century. Enjoy your Cruise !

Hi thanks for all the positive comments you really set my mind at rest. Im not that fussy if theres an odd worn carpet or even if the odd thing needs a touch up while on board!!! As long as the place is clean,food good and staff nice then thats ok for me. Its my cousins first cruise he's only 19 so its not bad to be doing Celebrity as your first cruise!!! I was on Millenium last year and it was great. I know Century is alot smaller and more traditional but that suits me perfectly as Im just looking for relaxation in a conservative setting with a few shore excursions.

Thanks again I find this forum excellent even though I have only just joined I have learnt so much reading various comments and reviews.:) :) :) :)

Hi dellas~I wouldn't be concerned either. I sailed her a month after that review. If you notice it says Feb 2005 (though the review was published this month).

I was on the ship in March and had a fabulous time~one of my best cruises ever. Food, Service, tablemates, everything was awesome.

Actually my review is listed just below the one in question. If you want

to read some positive aspects, check it out.

Hi - was on the same cruise with Lois (Hi lois) (our second Century cruise) - the ship is beautiful! Compare to any hotel that is 10 years old, of course it won't look brand new! We did find some evidence of being 10 years old but only because we were looking for the wear and tear discussed on these boards. Sometimes I think that people just look for things to complain about and end up ruining their vacation. Not to worry! The Century is really special, the service and food outstanding. Don't miss martinis in the Martini bar and Michael's Club! Have a great cruise. vicky

He's back....

Don't worry Dellas. The Century is a great ship. I just booked a Jan cruise along with 4 of my friends for their wedding. And I just found out another couple that were love to death are going on the same cruise that we booked. You will have a great time.

Century has it's little bumps and bruises, but nothing major. It's just that SOME of the Pax need a major refurbishing :)..

Cya

Jeff

We are sailing Century in a few weeks to Scandinavia. Never been on Celebrity cruises yet. Two questions - is there a self laundry and ironing board? Does bathrooms showers has doors or just a plastic curtain? Or, and one more - do they provide bathrobes (regular cabins, not the consierge class).

Thank you!!!

HI Vera,

There is no public laundry as far as I know. Travel irons are not allowed and I haven't seen any irons provided be X. I always sent by shirts out and they come back pretty quick. Very reasonable too. The showers have a curtain..not doors in regular cabins. I have always had a robe in my room, but I am a Captains club member. Not sure if that's a perk or a standard cabin feature.

Have a great cruise

Jeff

The problem is that someone, (with an axe to grind????), posted a review of Century that contradicts the experience that many others have enjoyed since the review was posted. I would like to contradict the review in the strongest way possible because of our wonderful experience on an extended stay during a 14 and 12 day B2B cruise in May, 2005.

People considering the Century need to know the complaints many have with it. No one should be disappointed by spending valuable vacation time and money on a ship that over the years has been plagued with complaints of bad beds, dirtiness, mediocre housekeeping, and perpetual lateness, etc. People expect the best of Celebrity and this ship continually comes up below their standard. If this was my first Celebrity cruise, it would have most likely been my last. I remember telling others not to judge Celebrity by this ship. Too many go on older Celebrity ships and expect "premium cruising" and are disappointed that this ship is not as good as those on other lines. I am not against old ships--the Zenith is our favorite cruise experience--I just would like all of Celebrity's ships to be on the same standard.It is not sour grapes; I love my vacation time and want others to make informed choices so that they will love theirs too.

Archived