11:30AM flight too early miami to fll airport??

baby

waiting for southwest schedules to come out

is it too early to have an 11:30AM flight from FLL if we disembark early in miami to get to the airport

will we have enough time

thanks carol

My only experience was in 2010. We were able to disembark and carry our own luggage at 7:30am and grabbed a cab, no problem. Had plenty of time in FLL.

But that's assuming there are no problems docking and clearing customs in the morning....

I would be willing to take the risk...others might not.

You should plan to self disembark for that flight. We wouldn't have made it. Customs was slow, in fact they didn't allow us off until quite a while after expected. We were in group 14, scheduled just after 8am.

We waited in line to get through customs for over 30 minutes.

We had a shuttle with SAS booked, they met us within 15 minutes or so, but I don't know that they would have that early. You'll probably need to plan to shell out for a cab or private car.

Once we got to the airport, we had a line to check bags that wasn't too bad, and a line to get through security at the gate of nearly an hour. We were on concourse B and were backed to at security all the way to the rental car wing.

We got stuck behind passengers from Oasis of the Seas.

So can you do it? Yes, but only if you do it right.

If you can get a later flight do it, why fret your vacation away worrying about make the FFL flight. A couple of weekends ago we stayed in Fort Lauderdale leaving on a cruise in Miami the next day. There was an accident on I95 and 2 hours after leaving our hotel we dropped off our luggage in Miami. We knew what we were doing, didn't get on 95, took the FL Turnpike as far as we could and finally ended up on RT 1 with everyone else avoiding the accident, 2 hrs 25 miles.

waiting for southwest schedules to come out

is it too early to have an 11:30AM flight from FLL if we disembark early in miami to get to the airport

will we have enough time

thanks carol

Maybe you can make it. Have you been here before? The two airports are over 30 miles apart.

IF you continue with this plan- you should strongly consider- self disembarking- meaning carrying ALL your own baggage, unassisted off the ship, with car service/shuttle prearranged. Be ready to go and in "line" an hour prior to the posted time. A lot of ships I have been on, do NOT announce clearance because they do not want any gridlocks.

You ALSO, need to be well informed about the restrictions of the airline ticket you purchase. Will you have to cancel ahead of time, will it have any value if you miss the plane? DO NOT assume you will just get on the "next" flight, you more than likely will not, with flights being full disembarkment days. Be prepared for an overnight, and an early morning flight the next day.

You ALSO, need to be well informed about the restrictions of the airline ticket you purchase. Will you have to cancel ahead of time, will it have any value if you miss the plane?

Including Southwest for future bookings. Flights were going out with too many empty seats due to their current, generous policy. They have announced a "no-show" fee if you miss your flight and don't cancel before departure. It will only apply to the cheapest "Wanna Get Away" fares, and they haven't announced the amount or the date (but later this year). Also, their CFO has sent "smoke signals" that Bags Fly Free could go away...again, maybe for the cheapest fares or only for a second bag. No further info on that.

Generally, if you miss a Southwest flight they get you onto on the next available flight at no charge as a courtesy. Official SWA policy states there is no fee, but they will charge any fare difference. I've read that they are starting to be less lenient about waiving that.

As BQ states, read and understand the rules carefully with any airline, and realize things are starting to change at SWA...don't assume it will be just like last year.

OP doesn't give a date but since the airline skeds aren't out, I,m guessing fall.

Nobody is even considering whether any cut backs with Gov employees will have an effect. ICE in MIA can have problems even without cut backs. TSA is the same, whether MIA or FLL. For me, I'll give extra time until all this is settled.

Archived