Any Cruise - Which Are the Formal Nights.....

sail7seas

If I may.....

When asking here which are the formal nights for your cruise, if you list the itinerary, it's a snap for many of us to tell you which nights likely are formal.

To say, I'm on a seven day Caribbean cruise on Westerdam, makes us have to go research the itinerary in order to answer you. We can't remember every ship's itinerary.... just too many.

Speaking only for myself, I'm so happy to suggest which I think but I don't always feel like going to the HAL site to find your itinerary when you likely have it handy. :)

I've found over the years that generally the formal nights are either on 'at sea' days or half day ports. I like having them on the 'at sea' days as you not as rushed to get all dressed up in time for some photos in our finery.

I've found over the years that generally the formal nights are either on 'at sea' days or half day ports. I like having them on the 'at sea' days as you not as rushed to get all dressed up in time for some photos in our finery.

I could list numerous exceptions to that general rule.

For example, Maasdam's Boston to Montreal is a seven day cruise with six ports. The one sea day is the obvious formal but without seeing the itinerary, when would the second be?

I could list numerous exceptions to that general rule.

For example, Maasdam's Boston to Montreal is a seven day cruise with six ports. The one sea day is the obvious formal but without seeing the itinerary, when would the second be?

No way to know without seeing the itinerary, but it would be hard to pick for any cruise without knowing the itinerary, so I'm confused why you ask one to pick without an itinerary. Unless the answer is whatever port is early in the cruise and leaves port early in the afternoon. Bar Harbor on Day 1 fills the bill- early in the cruise while sea day is near the end, ships leaves port at 3 which is plenty early to dress and still have a good day in port. All other port days leave later than 3.

It took about 2 minutes or less to get the Maasdam Boston-Montreal itinerary up.

I agree. As a general rule formal nights are held on days that are the least disruptive and that makes "sea days" the prime candidate. And in our experience they usually try to space the formal nights out so that there are roughly an equal number of days between them. Nevertheless, as sail7seas has already said there are exceptions to general rules.

We're departing tomorrow for a 14 day cruise out of Hong Kong, and I think that I have a very good idea when the formal nights will be.

Okay...here's one for you! Given this is such a short cruise, only one formal night, i'm assuming? Would it be the night before of the right after visiting Nassau?

Day Ports of Call Arrival Departure

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 Fort Lauderdale, Florida, At 4:00 pm

Thursday, December 19, 2013 Key West, Florida, Us 8:00 am 4:00 pm

Friday, December 20, 2013 Nassau, Bahamas 12:00 pm 6:00 pm

Saturday, December 21, 2013 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas Tender Required 8:00 am 4:00 pm

Sunday, December 22, 2013 Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Us 7:00 am --

Okay...here's one for you! Given this is such a short cruise, only one formal night, i'm assuming? Would it be the night before of the right after visiting Nassau?

Saturday, December 21, 2013 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas Tender Required 8:00 am 4:00 pm

I would think it would be the Key West night.

It's never the very first night or the very last night. Nassau is a late day in port, so the most likely is Key West night.

Archived