clothes for alaska

summercruising

Let me start by saying this will be my 5th cruise. The other 4 have been to warm weather destations. Our cruise will be the first week in June. We are flying into Seattle and spending a couple of days there before cruising. I haven't flown in 30 years! Now my questions. I'm a plus size lady. I'm worried about packing enough clothes for day excursions and evenings on the ship. Also what kind of clothes should I bring. Any and all help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Let me start by saying this will be my 5th cruise. The other 4 have been to warm weather destations. Our cruise will be the first week in June. We are flying into Seattle and spending a couple of days there before cruising. I haven't flown in 30 years! Now my questions. I'm a plus size lady. I'm worried about packing enough clothes for day excursions and evenings on the ship. Also what kind of clothes should I bring. Any and all help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

The main thing is to have layers of clothes. Weather in Alaska & Seattle can be cold to very warm depending on the month. In Alaska I would plan on cool nights . Days can start cool and be very warm by the afternoon. Prepare to remove/add layers as the temperatures change.

On a cold day think along the lines of warm undergarments, long sleeved T shirt, fleece vest or sweatshirt, long pants, all topped by a water proof wind breaker with knit or billed hat and gloves if needed. You can probably spray your regular walking shoes with waterproofing.

Then as the day warms, peel off layers as needed.

Odds are you will face cool and wet weather, but some years it's downright warm.

Comfortable versatile clothes put together from what you already have at home with one or two additions should work. There's more focus on comfort than style from what I've seen.

If you're traveling with family you might want to have 'the talk' before you leave home - "In Alaska, you carry your own jacket when you get hot; yes, Mom will hold your ice cream cones."

if you're worried about being cold, you can always pack silk underwear ... they don't take up much space in your luggage.

Only the layer of clothes next to your skin needs to be changed so you don't pack a sweatshirt for each day of your trip.

If you're doing any glacier viewing, pack hat and gloves.

Each person should have their own daypack ... as the day warms up you can peel off layers and put them in the pack, or conversely your jacket is in the pack in case you need it.

You are going to have so much fun! We went last year for our honeymoon. I am also plus sized and most days I wore jeans, a long sleeved t-shirt, a lightweight fleece, and my raincoat. L.L. Bean has a fleece called the Fitness Fleece that is perfect for layering and comes in plus sizes. Dressy nights I wore a cocktail dress from a department store (they had great deals after prom season) and other nights I wore a skirt and sweater. I was only cold on the boat the day we were at the glacier and only cold in port in Ketchikan because it rained all day.

I packed 3 pairs of jeans, 7 dressy outfits, one pair of long underwear, and way too many tops and fleeces. I thought we'd change clothes more during the day, but normally I wore my port outfit until it was time to change for dinner.

on a cold day think along the lines of warm undergarments, long sleeved t shirt, fleece vest or sweatshirt, long pants, all topped by a water proof wind breaker with knit or billed hat and gloves if needed. You can probably spray your regular walking shoes with waterproofing.

Then as the day warms, peel off layers as needed.

Odds are you will face cool and wet weather, but some years it's downright warm.

Comfortable versatile clothes put together from what you already have at home with one or two additions should work. There's more focus on comfort than style from what i've seen.

if you're traveling with family you might want to have 'the talk' before you leave home - "in alaska, you carry your own jacket when you get hot; yes, mom will hold your ice cream cones."

lol!

One item to take into consideration as well is what is cold to you? I have been in Alaska with people from TX, FL, and NV who were freezing all the time simply because to them 70 was cold and 60 was freezing cold. They wanted parkas like the crew had on ;). I have also observed that people from colder climes - OR, WA, ID, MT etc are more used to these temps and seem to need less in the way of clothing to stay warm.

The mean summer temp in SE AK is around 65 - give or take 5 or so degrees. Summer also begins sometime in mid June or early July :D.

It is also true that when you get around the glaciers - as in Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm that the air will be even cooler due to the snow and ice.

I do agree with the layers concept, just that your layers may need to be different than someone elses. Probably the biggest thing to be prepared for is wet weather - not necessarly heavy rains - but misty drizzle that can soak you to the bone if you are out in it for any length of time. That is why the water and wind proof outer garment is necessary - the warmth layers underneath are up to you.

. I have also observed that people from colder climes - OR, WA, ID, MT etc are more used to these temps and seem to need less in the way of clothing to stay warm.

My DW , myself and another couple are taking the Solstice May 17th out of Seattle. We all live across Puget Sound from Seattle. Already have the shorts and flip flops packed.

I have 3 to 4 layers up top. Think of it as warming the air closest to your skin. My base layer is a cold gear fitted or compression long sleeved T-shirt. (you can use short sleeve too). It does not have to be form fitting exactly, but I find it helps. You can use heat gear too.(if you get hot easily) Any "wicking" type of under garment will do. Then a shirt (flannel), A pull over sweater or sweat shirt, then a fleece or rain jacket. Keep in mind, some "rain" jackets/water proof, do not breath much.

This is a great time of year to pick some up at year end clearance sales. In fact a lot of the layers you need should be on sale at many stores. One can also get leggings for under jeans. You basically want to warm up the bottom layers with your body heat. As was mentioned different types and amount for different people.

Just remember, once you start getting chilled, it is hard to get warm again. If you are prone to perspiring some, that moisture can and will have the chance of cooling you down. That is the main reason for "wicking" type of material.

Layer yourself up and go for a walk and see what is best for you. (don't forget the wool socks.) Merino wool socks are great. Not to thick yet warm and wicking. I wear them with my trail tennis shoes.

You are going to have an awesome cruise.

Erik

One item to take into consideration as well is what is cold to you? I have been in Alaska with people from TX, FL, and NV who were freezing all the time simply because to them 70 was cold and 60 was freezing cold. They wanted parkas like the crew had on ;). I have also observed that people from colder climes - OR, WA, ID, MT etc are more used to these temps and seem to need less in the way of clothing to stay warm.

The mean summer temp in SE AK is around 65 - give or take 5 or so degrees. Summer also begins sometime in mid June or early July :D.

It is also true that when you get around the glaciers - as in Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm that the air will be even cooler due to the snow and ice.

I do agree with the layers concept, just that your layers may need to be different than someone elses. Probably the biggest thing to be prepared for is wet weather - not necessarly heavy rains - but misty drizzle that can soak you to the bone if you are out in it for any length of time. That is why the water and wind proof outer garment is necessary - the warmth layers underneath are up to you.

I totally agree with you! We(born and raised in MN) had friends(born and raised in TX) that cruised the same itinerary as we did but the week prior to our cruise. My friend called me in one of her ports warning me to pack lots of warm layers because it was so cold on the glacier viewing and the whale watching and.... So not thinking of this difference, I did a little repacking. On our cruise, I regretted it. We were too warm! We all wore jeans and a tee-shirt and carried a waterproof lightweight jacket. I would have loved some capris or longer shorts on most of our excursions. Although, I will say that the glacier viewing day is on the chilly side. We had the little stretchy gloves and hats with our jackets. Plus hot chocolate for the kids!;)

You are going to have so much fun! We went last year for our honeymoon. I am also plus sized and most days I wore jeans, a long sleeved t-shirt, a lightweight fleece, and my raincoat. L.L. Bean has a fleece called the Fitness Fleece that is perfect for layering and comes in plus sizes. Dressy nights I wore a cocktail dress from a department store (they had great deals after prom season) and other nights I wore a skirt and sweater. I was only cold on the boat the day we were at the glacier and only cold in port in Ketchikan because it rained all day.

I packed 3 pairs of jeans, 7 dressy outfits, one pair of long underwear, and way too many tops and fleeces. I thought we'd change clothes more during the day, but normally I wore my port outfit until it was time to change for dinner.

I totally second the LLBean Fitness Fleece. I have the long-sleeved fitness fleece as well as one of their vests, both in a women's 1X. I Love both of these and plan to take them to Alaska with me. I will need to get a water resistant shell to go over these two, but I have lots of time before my cruise.

Don't pack your suitcase based on what someone experienced the previous week or even the previous year during the same time period. Weather can change dramatically. Bring clothes that can be layered. Wear a small daypack .. if the day starts off cool but warms up you can easily put your jacket in the pack, and conversely if the day starts off warm but turns on you, you'll have a jacket in your pack. Also in your pack keep a pair of gloves and a scarf or wool hat. I also like a baseball cap .. the bill keeps water off my glasses OR protects from the sun. I also carry a poncho ... it's long so it covers more area than a jacket and it keeps my pack dry (camera, binoculars, wallet, clothes).

Keep in mind that you only need to change the layer next to your skin each day, so bring 7 T's, but only 2 sweatshirts/hoodies/fleeces. You don't need a clean sweatshirt or fleece for every day.

If you're worried about being cold, pack long underwear. You'll probably find some on clearance right now. It takes up little space and you might need it. Same with a pair of shorts and capris ... they take up so little space.

Re: LLBean's Fitness Fleece...

The LLBean website is having a 10% off your entire purchase sale through tomorrow (Monday, March 25).

The discount also applies to items already marked down in the Sale section. I got a Thinsulate vest for a total of 24% off.

How to dress will depend a lot on how you perceive temperature. Some people are cold all of the time, others are too warm and some are in the middle. If you are one group and talk to someone from another for advice, you will end up being very uncomfortable.

I manage a performing arts center. At yesterdays event, as usual, I had numerous comments on the temperature in the theatre. Some were freezing cold. Some were being baked in an oven. By the thermometer the temperature was 72 degrees Fahrenheit.

Moral of the story: Know how you are and dress accordingly.

Enjoy

Ron

I totally agree with you! We(born and raised in MN) had friends(born and raised in TX) that cruised the same itinerary as we did but the week prior to our cruise. My friend called me in one of her ports warning me to pack lots of warm layers because it was so cold on the glacier viewing and the whale watching and.... So not thinking of this difference, I did a little repacking. On our cruise, I regretted it. We were too warm! We all wore jeans and a tee-shirt and carried a waterproof lightweight jacket. I would have loved some capris or longer shorts on most of our excursions. Although, I will say that the glacier viewing day is on the chilly side. We had the little stretchy gloves and hats with our jackets. Plus hot chocolate for the kids!;)

SO glad to hear from someone else in MN on this topic!! I keep seeing the deep souterners point of veiw but to them cold is warm to us!! :) That's for your point of view, makes me feel better.

I have cruised to Alaska twice and doing our third one this Aug.

The location of where people live really influences there perception of what is cold . I can work at -40 in a light jacket and visitors from the coast need a heavy winter coat & long johns. I have never taken anything to Alaska as clothes that I don't wear in fall where I live.

This is so true! We're from Wisconsin and we were honestly baffled at the people wearing parkas and mittens last year when it was above 40.

Could someone advise about evening wear. I am used to packing full length dresses and my husband,s DJ for cruises., but I have heard that Alaska tends to be less formal. Princess do tend to be quite dressy ships.

Is any one else planning the full formal night outfits?

Could someone advise about evening wear. I am used to packing full length dresses and my husband,s DJ for cruises., but I have heard that Alaska tends to be less formal. Princess do tend to be quite dressy ships.

Is any one else planning the full formal night outfits?

We sail on HAL (which seems to have a reputation for being "very formal"). We've scaled back our "formal" wear. DH wears a regular suit, I usually wear a cocktail dress. We are then neither the most dressy nor the least dressy couple. Regardless of itinerary. Suitcase space is at a premium, so we are much more minimalist than we once were :)

i just bought a great fleece vest ( with the tags still on it ) for $2 at my local goodwill. since i am going in the middle of sept i will take it, a couple turtlenecks, a long sleeved shirt too wear over them. also a nicer long lightweight sweater too use as a cover-up when i go to the mdr and shows with 1 pair of comfortable pants and 1 nicer top. a couple pairs of jeans and a lightweight nylon rain jacket with a hood for being in the ports. if i need a sweatshirt i will pick it up in a port. i dont take a hair dryer since i have short hair and the one in the cabin will be good enough. undies, socks, my tennis shoes and a comfortable pair of dexter slip ons for my shoes. i will take a swim suit for the hot tub but i might not use it. but it will be good too have in the bag just in case. i always cut back for my cruises and i still dont wear all i take. i am not ashamed too admit i wear the same thing twice. my clothes stay clean, i am not in a hot sweaty climate and no one notices what i have on anyway .

i just bought a great fleece vest ( with the tags still on it ) for $2 at my local goodwill. >SNIP< .

Quoted and bolded for emphasis. Thrift shops/charity stores are a GREAT source of clothing for an Alaska cruise. Alaska is, generally, an expensive destination and if one doesn't already own the necessary clothing, plenty of money can be saved by shopping re-sale. Then with the savings on clothing, a person can spend more on excursions :D

Quoted and bolded for emphasis. Thrift shops/charity stores are a GREAT source of clothing for an Alaska cruise. Alaska is, generally, an expensive destination and if one doesn't already own the necessary clothing, plenty of money can be saved by shopping re-sale. Then with the savings on clothing, a person can spend more on excursions :D

so true. i always get the best deals at my thrift stores. it is casual in alaska, but that is not too say you do not want too look nice and have clean decent clothing that is in good shape. but i have found wonderful things there . shoulder and over the body bags are a great find there as well. the money i save goes too the excursions and things on the ship as you mentioned. a penny saved builds up too $'s for my cruise extra's. ;)

Dustyroad, I'm so with you on thrift stores :D Even my "formal wear" comes from them. Heck, most of my wardrobe came from resale shops. For us, travelling is a big splurge, so saving $$$s where we can is important! Some of those savings get spent on shore experiences, especially in Alaska :D For people travelling to Alaska with kids, it is an even bigger saving to outfit the family at Goodwill et al.

Dustyroad, I'm so with you on thrift stores :D Even my "formal wear" comes from them. Heck, most of my wardrobe came from resale shops. For us, travelling is a big splurge, so saving $$$s where we can is important! Some of those savings get spent on shore experiences, especially in Alaska :D For people travelling to Alaska with kids, it is an even bigger saving to outfit the family at Goodwill et al.

thanks CowPrincess for the support in my thinking on this. my first cruise i got a glitzy WOW black gown at my thrift shop that was brand new. and i dont mind saying i have bought my dress pants and jeans with elastic waistband ( i am all for comfort ) at walmart. the prices are what i can afford, they look and fit nice and they last me forever. i will not scrimp on my shoes though. i have a bad foot and have too get better brands that fit well. and lets face it, walking is a big part of alaska. i cant imagine having too buy clothing for kids these days. good for you for saving where ever you can. ;)

Archived