I cruise because I don't fly...

Anjanu

Actually, the least amount of motion on an airplane is where the center of gravity is (which most of the time is somewhere over the wings, not all the way forward). The farther from the center of gravity you are, the worse the "yawing" motion is. The absolute worst place to be is on the last row in the back, where all the up/down, left/right motions are magnified.

Another common mistake a lot of passengers with motion sickness make is that they either, pick a seat away from the window, or close the window shade. One of the best ways to avoid motion sickness is to have an outside visual reference point, preferably the horizon.

The ability to look out the window and watch the horizon is a really good one! I didn't even think of that...what works on a boat should work on a plane. I think I am partial to the aisle because I can stick 1 leg out for more room. ;)

Over the wings at the window, unfortunately you see mostly wing. Additionally since engines on most planes have wing mounted engines I find there is more noise and vibration there. Perhaps 2-3 rows before the wings would be ideal? Because your seat will still recline (rows directly before the exit row on the wings won't recline typically for saftly reasons) and you can see out the window without blockage.

agreed 100% : ABSOLUTELY AVOID THE LAST FEW ROWS.

DH also won't fly. He had two "hard landings" during his 20+ years in the Marine Corps. I think it is a control issue for him. He was a "grunt" and having no control over the plane, and then those hard landings did him in. We drive from northern VA to all ports in FL and have had some amazing cruises! Maybe someday he will change his mind, but until then......we cruise!

Yup, OK, that's a whole lot of the world to see. Not. (Unless you are independently wealthy and able to take long cruises and then sail back to the US on the QE2 and train back to Florida.)

One does not have to be wealthy to see other continents. One only needs to be smart, know your geography and look at cruise itineraries other than Carnival Cruise Line.

Cruise lines leave Ft. Lauderdale every year to Europe with no need to fly. You can cruise to Hawaii (I'm doing it in a couple of weeks) or cruise to Japan, Korea, China, Australia, New Zealand from California or British Columbia. You can cruise around South America from California via the Panama Canal.

I met a man during lunch on the Princess who has traveled all over the world without getting on a single plane. He was not a wealthy man, however, he was a very smart man.

I don't enjoy flying. Not because I have unreasonable fears about the plane crashing. I am claustrophobic and can develop panic attacks when put into long aluminum tubes with no air and no quick, "safe" way of getting out. I cannot even get into the back seat of a car if there aren't four doors. So I do the smart thing. If I have to fly I will book an aisle seat within the first 6-8 rows. I don't know how anyone can feel comfortable in the sardine cans they make us fly in these days. Ugh, I'm feeling anxious just thinking about it. :(

Another possible result of taking the decongestant before flying: avoiding Mal de debarquement also known as "land sickness". My first 3 cruises, I had the swaying, dizzy feeling from 3 days to 3 months after each cruise. Then I did some research (because I love to cruise and wasn't about to give it up) and discovered that the more severe cases of land sickness occur in people who also fly the day of disembarkment. Taking a decongestant 1/2 hour before flying was strongly recommened in most of the articles I read.

In addition, never once have I experienced motion sickness, but in my research I also found out that taking anti-motion sickness meds starting a couple of nights before debarking helps with the with land sickness as well.

Past two cruises, I started taking Bonine 2 nights before getting off and a decongestant about 1/2 before boarding the plane. I then continued taking doses of both for the next two days after arriving home. I can say that with both, I did not even so much as have 3 minutes of land sickness. Was it the meds? Who knows, but this is a regiment I will follow from here on out.

Interesting--thanks! I've never flown the day I debarked, but I'm going to file that in my memory bank in case I ever do.

Ummm NO. I don't know where you got that but 1 in 5,000? Seriously stop and read that one more time and tell me that makes sense to you considering the billions of people in the US that take to the road every day? Yes flying is totally safer than driving. TOTALLY and wholey and without doubt safer but don't put up numbers that don't pass "the sniff test".

While I appreciate your attempt to help the OP over an irrational fear of flying you should at least research your facts a little more before echoing something you saw on the internet. ;)

Suggestion, start with the NTSB.

Since you are talking numbers, there are not billions of people in the US.

I flew a LOT in my teen and younger twenties. Then I flew in a bad storm when I was pregnant with my second son.......and from that point on I broke out in a sweat just thinking about flying.

I felt so dumb....I mean I have a masters degree in counseling psychology....but with four kids....flying was expensive and a great excuse. So we drove everywhere....even taking two cars as our family expanded with wives and GFs. However, I refused to pass this fear on to my boys so they often flew....HS Europe trips, visits to friends and family, etc.

Then along comes my youngest son (son #4) and he was an elite cross country runner at 15. (2009) His high school team wanted to compete in the Nike pre nationals....all the way in Oregon. I had one year to transform my fear to acceptance. Since I was the "team mom" and DH and I were flying with the team along with other parents...there was NO way I was going to miss this or embarrass my son......so I mentally thought my way through flying. I was shocked at how successful I was at beating this fear.

We flew the next two years when he competed at Stanford and I have since flown many times. I will say....I do not love it like before....but I can do it without panic.

I do feel for those who will not fly.....I totally understand. I was willing to work hard to get over that fear so I could cheer my son on at his races. Probably would not have done it if not for him.

Since you are talking numbers, there are not billions of people in the US.

Yup I know. I mistyped. If you further read the thread I corrected msyelf, pointed out that the PP was actually quite close and linked to the census fatality numbers. He also found his original source article and linked to it.

It is a shocking number to wrap your head around....your chance of dying in a car accident in America this year: 1 in 10,000.

One does not have to be wealthy to see other continents. One only needs to be smart, know your geography and look at cruise itineraries other than Carnival Cruise Line.

Cruise lines leave Ft. Lauderdale every year to Europe with no need to fly. You can cruise to Hawaii (I'm doing it in a couple of weeks) or cruise to Japan, Korea, China, Australia, New Zealand from California or British Columbia. You can cruise around South America from California via the Panama Canal.

I met a man during lunch on the Princess who has traveled all over the world without getting on a single plane. He was not a wealthy man, however, he was a very smart man.

I don't enjoy flying. Not because I have unreasonable fears about the plane crashing. I am claustrophobic and can develop panic attacks when put into long aluminum tubes with no air and no quick, "safe" way of getting out. I cannot even get into the back seat of a car if there aren't four doors. So I do the smart thing. If I have to fly I will book an aisle seat within the first 6-8 rows. I don't know how anyone can feel comfortable in the sardine cans they make us fly in these days. Ugh, I'm feeling anxious just thinking about it. :(

What....you would have to take a transatlantic in the spring and then cruise around Europe until a transatlantic comes back in the fall. IMHO that would be incredibly costly. You could take a Princess World 100 + day cruise but interior rooms usually start out at $20,000 per person. Plus tips...:)

What....you would have to take a transatlantic in the spring and then cruise around Europe until a transatlantic comes back in the fall. IMHO that would be incredibly costly. You could take a Princess World 100 + day cruise but interior rooms usually start out at $20,000 per person. Plus tips...:)

Well, let's not forget the Cunard QE-II which does trans-Atlantics throughout the year. NYC-London; Hamburg, NYC; London-Ft. L., etc. Where there is a will, there is a way. And those trans-Atlantics are not very pricey and generally 7-9 day crossings. ;)

Well, let's not forget the Cunard QE-II which does trans-Atlantics throughout the year. NYC-London; Hamburg, NYC; London-Ft. L., etc. Where there is a will, there is a way. And those trans-Atlantics are not very pricey and generally 7-9 day crossings. ;)

IMHO that's not what I call seeing the world....

Or you could go on HAL for 42 days for 4,199 inside. Round trip from Fort L.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?destCode=ET&portCode=FLL&shipCodeSearch=&durationCode=4&dateCode=&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=M365&webItineraryIdForAudit=ETF342

I do not believe that is an around the world cruise like Princess !00+ day cruise.

IMHO that's not what I call seeing the world....

We were NOT talking about "seeing the world" we were merely talking about a mode of transportation of getting from one side of the world to the other. Once you are in Europe one can take many modes of transportation without ever getting onto an airplane. And I would add, you would see a lot MORE in depth of the world than on a cruise ship. The QE-II would allow more freedom of choice as to when you wish to return home and not have to be at the mercy of a returning repositioning cruise as you mentioned.

We were NOT talking about "seeing the world" we were merely talking about a mode of transportation of getting from one side of the world to the other. Once you are in Europe one can take many modes of transportation without ever getting onto an airplane. And I would add, you would see a lot MORE in depth of the world than on a cruise ship. The QE-II would allow more freedom of choice as to when you wish to return home and not have to be at the mercy of a returning repositioning cruise as you mentioned.

I have a brother and sister in law who both hate to fly, they went to counselors who specialize in treating fear of fly and even went up on three " short flights" with them. They just couldn't take.

They exactly what you posted and traveled Europe extensively , they do this every three yrs or so... If you have the time and want to see Europe , really see and live those countries ... I highly recommend it

I do not believe that is an around the world cruise like Princess !00+ day cruise.

No it is no around the world. But you get to see a lot with out taking a plane. I only checked HAL and they have many cruises from the US (round trip) that can take you to many places. Of course they are longer and more money than the seven day cruises.

Archived