I cruise because I don't fly...

Anjanu

I feel for those poor people who have a fear of flying but will have to fly home from St. Maarten. I would have been one of those people. I choose to cruise because I fear flying. I had over the limit vacation hours because I didn't take vacations because I refuse to fly. Then I discovered cruising and 15 cruises later never crossed my mind that something like this would happen.

I was supposed to board the Dream today to sail to the Western Caribbean but I most always sail the 2nd week of March.

Recently, I've read several post with people saying if you don't fly then cruising is not for you. I can't help but laugh at this statement but I guess in my case it makes sense. :(

I feel for those poor people who have a fear of flying but will have to fly home from St. Maarten. I would have been one of those people. I choose to cruise because I fear flying. I had over the limit vacation hours because I didn't take vacations because I refuse to fly. Then I discovered cruising and 15 cruises later never crossed my mind that something like this would happen.

I was supposed to board the Dream today to sail to the Western Caribbean but I most always sail the 2nd week of March.

Recently, I've read several post with people saying if you don't fly then cruising is not for you. I can't help but laugh at this statement but I guess in my case it makes sense. :(

I couldn't agree more with you! :D

I'm with you on this! Almost immediately, my brain went to this thought: "They have to FLY?!? Off that tiny island?!? I wonder if there is the option to stay with the crew until they sail back?" That seemed perfectly reasonable to me!

Take your passport and a credit card with some "room" on it- like a lot of room. If you get stuck on an island you can always take a boat home. I wonder if Carnival could make provisions to "pick you up" on a future cruise if you waived the future cruise credit they give you...

I found this on a web site.

The annual risk of being killed in a plane crash for the average American is about 1 in 11 million. On that basis, the risk looks pretty small. Compare that, for example, to the annual risk of being killed in a motor vehicle crash for the average American, which is about 1 in 5,000.

You may just want to stick to land vacations in the US if it really bothers you that much. Its not unherd of people being left behind on a cruise and having to find their way to the next port or home. Which in most cases involves a plane right.

I have cruised 14 times and never had this problem before either. So probably not a high chance. But what you may want to do is to go up in a plane and see what it is like. Once you take the controls it may not seems as scary.

You may just want to stick to land vacations in the US if it really bothers you that much. Its not unherd of people being left behind on a cruise and having to find their way to the next port or home. Which in most cases involves a plane right.

I have cruised 14 times and never had this problem before either. So probably not a high chance. But what you may want to do is to go up in a plane and see what it is like. Once you take the controls it may not seems as scary.

Thanks for the information! I have flown before in my earlier years and hated it so much that I've never had a desire to do it again and have refused to.

However, I do love to cruise and I won't stop cruising nor will I replace cruising with land vacations because I find them boring. I'll just continue to book my cruise vacations with hopes that I will never have to make a decision to board a plane home.

I can swim but I can't fly.

I recently had the opportunity to take my mom and dad to Hawaii for their 50th anniversary. It's been moms life long wish.

The problem,,,,, dad is scared to death to fly.

I called him up and told him what my wife and I wanted to do for them. Talked at length about his concern.

For mom, he would do it.

They had a wonderful time. My reward to him,,,,, bumped us up front. They thought they were in heaven.

Not true. I can drive to any port in Florida between 2 - 8 hours.

Yup, OK, that's a whole lot of the world to see. Not. (Unless you are independently wealthy and able to take long cruises and then sail back to the US on the QE2 and train back to Florida.)

Yup, OK, that's a whole lot of the world to see. Not. (Unless you are independently wealthy and able to take long cruises and then sail back to the US on the QE2 and train back to Florida.)

Maybe the op is wealthy. Do you know him/her personally?

I don't fly well either. I have, though. I spent the most amazing week in London living on no sleep, Dunhills and gin and tonics. I've also gotten to eat grapes I cut myself from overhead, as my dessert in a Greek taverna, on a tiny island while watching the most amazing sunset. I've also lived in an RV fulltime and got to fall asleep to coyotes howling and wake up to salmon smoking on the fire and seeing some of the most amazing vistas in the southwest. I've also canoed the Rio Grande and had wild horses wake me up with their breath in my face as they checked me out in the middle of the night in my sleeping bag. And now I've got one cruise under my belt - just a little one to Nassau and Freeport. Amazing time - snorkeled and saw huge manta rays and got to haggle with vendors at the overrun tourist destinations.

Here's the thing. When you are truly a traveler, and have the gypsy spirit - it's not where you go - but how you choose to open up and experience where you are that is what counts. There is not one adventure above I would give up or say one was better than the other.

I'll run out of money and life before I could possibly experience all that the Carribean, Alaska, Canada, the Canal and other places accessible by Florida ports and "trains" have to offer. And I won't die feeling like I've missed something because I didn't get over the pond again.

So thumbs up to cruises and medications -if I do get stuck and have to fly home!

Thanks for the information! I have flown before in my earlier years and hated it so much that I've never had a desire to do it again and have refused to.

However, I do love to cruise and I won't stop cruising nor will I replace cruising with land vacations because I find them boring. I'll just continue to book my cruise vacations with hopes that I will never have to make a decision to board a plane home.

My husband and I don't fly either. I also couldn't help but wonder what we would have done if we were told we had to fly home. My plan A would be to stay on the island until another cruise ship could take us home. DH is claustrophobic and I HATE flying with a passion so we cruise. We also have a RV and more than once, traveled quiet a distance to cruise to Alaska and the Panama Canal. We love the USA and there is so much to see and do right here so a road trip is something we look forward to as well. Like you, we just keep booking our cruises and were perfectly content with that. We've been on over 50 cruises and so far we haven't been told that we had to fly home yet. Happy cruising!

I absolutely cannot stand to fly. Actually, I am afraid of flying, although I have flown many, many times. But, I have not been on a plane in 3 1/2 years. Like you, my preferred vacation is a cruise, plus I live only ten minutes from Port Everglades and 45 minutes from POM. But, if I was on a cruise that had a problem and I was forced to fly home, then I would fly home. I would be afraid, but I would do it. My desire to get home would win out over my fear.

The annual risk of being killed in a plane crash for the average American is about 1 in 11 million. On that basis, the risk looks pretty small. Compare that, for example, to the annual risk of being killed in a motor vehicle crash for the average American, which is about 1 in 5,000.

Ummm NO. I don't know where you got that but 1 in 5,000? Seriously stop and read that one more time and tell me that makes sense to you considering the billions of people in the US that take to the road every day? Yes flying is totally safer than driving. TOTALLY and wholey and without doubt safer but don't put up numbers that don't pass "the sniff test".

While I appreciate your attempt to help the OP over an irrational fear of flying you should at least research your facts a little more before echoing something you saw on the internet. ;)

Suggestion, start with the NTSB.

Yea I have known a few people that where afraid of flying.... But then to took up learning to flying. They are not afraid anymore. But not everyone does that.

Glad you are a good swimmer... :p Not sure I could swim all the way back from St. Thomas to the US. ;)

Hope you have fun on your next cruise.

Ummm NO. I don't know where you got that but 1 in 5,000? Seriously stop and read that one more time and tell me that makes sense to you considering the billions of people in the US that take to the road every day? Yes flying is totally safer than driving. TOTALLY and wholey and without doubt safer but don't put up numbers that don't pass "the sniff test".

While I appreciate your attempt to help the OP over an irrational fear of flying you should at least research your facts a little more before echoing something you saw on the internet. ;)

Suggestion, start with the NTSB.

WEEEELLLLLL.... the poster was close.

Check out the US Census.

In 2009: 11 automotive fatalities per 100,000 or 1.1 in 10,000. So it is closer than I thought but still about half what was stated.

Yes okay, but flying is still a safe mode of transportation gcooper.

100% agreed...and your number was actually only about 1/2 off the mark. At first blush I though it might be at least a magnitude or 2 off but no!

1 in 10,000 :eek:

With regard to the statistic you quoted: My fear of flying has nothing to do with a risk of dying. On all of the flights I have been on (more than 30) I never once considered that I wouldn't make it to my destination. It is the motions and movements of the plane that I find unnerving. Turbulence, dropping suddenly, and small forces on the body when the plane turns make me feel that I am on a roller coaster and that I have left my stomach at some other altitude. It is very unpleasant for me.

On the other hand, the motions of the ship, even in rough seas, do not bother me in the least.

100% agreed...and your number was actually only about 1/2 off the mark. At first blush I though it might be at least a magnitude or 2 off but no!

1 in 10,000 :eek:

Here is the article where they came up with the number http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/space/how-risky-is-flying.html

I'm not a math person, but do know I would flying my own airplane over driving "if" I could fly everywhere and weather wasn't a problem. :p

Yes okay, but flying is still a safe mode of transportation gcooper.

Statistically speaking, flying is very safe. But many of us still do not like it. I know it's safe, but I cannot stand how I feel when I'm on a plane. But, if flying were my only way home from a port, I'd suck it up and deal with it.

With regard to the statistic you quoted: My fear of flying has nothing to do with a risk of dying. On all of the flights I have been on (more than 30) I never once considered that I wouldn't make it to my destination. It is the motions and movements of the plane that I find unnerving. Turbulence, dropping suddenly, and small forces on the body when the plane turns make me feel that I am on a roller coaster and that I have left my stomach at some other altitude. It is very unpleasant for me.

On the other hand, the motions of the ship, even in rough seas, do not bother me in the least.

Yea I can see that.. I have to admit I have been sick in a plane and boat more then once... :eek: And that was when I was learning to fly and do get a little sick when I haven't been up in a while. I guess I'm a sucker for punishment as I keep going back to flying. :rolleyes:

Archived