I cruise because I don't fly...

Anjanu

True. Yes, you can see the Caribbean, but you will not get to see all the other areas of the globe.

What about the cruises that cruise from Florida to Europe then a cruise back to the US... Problem solved yes it requires a large time commitment, but eliminates the flying :)

I also cruise so I can go places without flying :p Unfortunately that means, yes we've driven to Orlando, lol. I'd fly if I HAD to, but it certainly is not my first choice. We are looking to do an Alaskan cruise and I'm taking the train to get to Seattle for sure.

That's an incredible ride. You should come up north and take Via Rail from Toronto to Vancouver- gorgeous.

I don't like to fly but I do it. :shrug: I refuse to let something dictate what I can do. And will I likely medicate myself with Benadryl to go to Europe in six months? Yes. But as much as I hate flying, not seeing Europe isnt something I'm not willing to miss out on.

I feel for those poor people who have a fear of flying but will have to fly home from St. Maarten. I would have been one of those people. I choose to cruise because I fear flying. I had over the limit vacation hours because I didn't take vacations because I refuse to fly. Then I discovered cruising and 15 cruises later never crossed my mind that something like this would happen.

I was supposed to board the Dream today to sail to the Western Caribbean but I most always sail the 2nd week of March.

Recently, I've read several post with people saying if you don't fly then cruising is not for you. I can't help but laugh at this statement but I guess in my case it makes sense. :(

My dad wouldn't have been able to fly home from St. Maarten because he won't step foot on a plane (old Air Force memories). But luckily he won't step foot on a boat either, so he wouldn't have had the problem to begin with. :rolleyes:

Ummm NO. I don't know where you got that but 1 in 5,000? Seriously stop and read that one more time and tell me that makes sense to you considering the billions of people in the US that take to the road every day? Yes flying is totally safer than driving. TOTALLY and wholey and without doubt safer but don't put up numbers that don't pass "the sniff test".

While I appreciate your attempt to help the OP over an irrational fear of flying you should at least research your facts a little more before echoing something you saw on the internet. ;)

Suggestion, start with the NTSB.

Sorry but the population of the US is only about 315 million at this time. So there aren't "billions of people in the US" driving every day.

Normally I wouldn't point out this kind of stuff. But you chastised the PP about putting up numbers that didn't "pass the sniff test" and criticized them for not researching their facts before posting. You were an order of magnitude off with your numbers too.

Maggie

I feel for those poor people who have a fear of flying but will have to fly home from St. Maarten. I would have been one of those people. I choose to cruise because I fear flying. I had over the limit vacation hours because I didn't take vacations because I refuse to fly. Then I discovered cruising and 15 cruises later never crossed my mind that something like this would happen.

I was supposed to board the Dream today to sail to the Western Caribbean but I most always sail the 2nd week of March.

Recently, I've read several post with people saying if you don't fly then cruising is not for you. I can't help but laugh at this statement but I guess in my case it makes sense. :(

I've watched people that don't fly, fly when they have to. So anyone that has a fear has a decision to make.

I no longer LIKE to fly since 9/11, but would if I had to.

We spent a week on St Martin this past fall rather than cruising. Flying off that little island isnt difficult. They can accomodate some pretty big planes. Im not crazy about flying either but the scenery of leaving the island and over the remaining islands back to the states is beautiful. I am also flying over to Venice to take a b2b with a transatlantic back to not have to make a round trip flight. Im hedging my bets that all will go wonderfully. Im sure that some will find it tough to get on the plane but want to get home.

Having a fear like that is SO dibilitating, my heart breaks for you.

Do you want to overcome this fear????? Have you tried researching doctors or some form of therapy that could help you out??

As an airline pilot, I'm genuinely more afraid of the 20 minute drive from my house to the airport, than of flying. But I do understand why some people fear flying. It's an irrational fear, but that doesn't make it any less real for some.

Our media is partly to blame for this fear. Just like so many people are afraid to cruise now because of the incessant and hyped up news about the recent incidents, the same thing happens with flying. There are multiple fatal car crashes on a daily basis. Yet, the local news only give these stories about 30 seconds (if even mentioned). If there's an airplane accident (which thankfully hasn't happened in the US in years), it will be on the news over and over, on every channel. Hours will be devoted to the report. Experts will be called in to give their input. Special reports will be on TV every night. Emotional documentaries with sad music will be repeated over and over. Families of the survivors will be interviewed over and over. ETC. Its no wonder some people do place more fear in flying than driving. If the media devoted this much attention to the hundreds of people who lose their lives on the road every day, NOBODY would drive!

With that said, if I only cruised out of my closest "drive to" port, the only place in the world that I would know would be The Bahamas. UGH! :(

Ummm NO. I don't know where you got that but 1 in 5,000? Seriously stop and read that one more time and tell me that makes sense to you considering the billions of people in the US that take to the road every day?

Billions of people in the U.S.? Wow, your post certainly wins in the "most amusing" category !

In the mid to late 1960's the auto fatality rate reached its maximum in the U.S., with an annual rate of one auto death per 4000 population (roughly 50,000 fatalities per year when the U.S. population was around 200,000,000). I remember that period well, when we were all told that the annual auto toll was roughly equal to U.S. deaths in the Korean War.

Over the past several years the U.S. population has been estimated at just over 310,000,000 and the traffic fatality toll just over 32,000 per year, so the rate has indeed been slightly worse than 1 death per 10,000 population per year. The stats have continued their slow improvement over the last 3 or 4 decades.

Fear of flying is certainly a debilitating disability, and rational arguments about safety are unlikely to make any difference.

Of course, one can argue that mathematical ineptitude is a disability too. :)

I'm afraid I'm also in the Don't Like to Fly club. I am aware of the safety statistics and how it limits me, however, after having flown to vacations, I've decided that since I've now passed 60, I'm not going to fly. I, too, don't like the motions during flight, and do NOT like dealing with the headache and hearing problems after landing ( only once have I done a flight without that) I won't see Scotland or Ireland, but that's OK. I've thought about it and the flight over just isn't worth it to me. That does limit my cruising since I'm in the northeast, but fortunately, I like cruising to Canada, Bermuda and even the Bahamas once in awhile, and am not against doing the train down south, or driving...It's a little like eating liver. Can I eat liver? Sure! Do I want to? No, not really... :D

I REFUSED to fly for over 20 years! You can quote all the statistics you want, but it won't mean anything to a person with a fear of flying! I do not know what I would do if I was on the Dream if it was before I managed to conquer my fear.

For many of those 20 years I WANTED to be able to fly, but the fear is paralyzing! I still will not fly in certain situations (possibility of ice/snow or very small planes) and I still take a Xanax before every flight.

I do fly now, and proudly! But telling someone to just get over it will never work.

I'm afraid I'm also in the Don't Like to Fly club. I am aware of the safety statistics and how it limits me, however, after having flown to vacations, I've decided that since I've now passed 60, I'm not going to fly. I, too, don't like the motions during flight, and do NOT like dealing with the headache and hearing problems after landing ( only once have I done a flight without that) I won't see Scotland or Ireland, but that's OK. I've thought about it and the flight over just isn't worth it to me. That does limit my cruising since I'm in the northeast, but fortunately, I like cruising to Canada, Bermuda and even the Bahamas once in awhile, and am not against doing the train down south, or driving...It's a little like eating liver. Can I eat liver? Sure! Do I want to? No, not really... :D

Take a decongestant half an hour before you fly and you won't have the headache and hearing problems after you land.

I never had a problem flying when I was younger, I thought it was fun! The more turbulence the better!

Fast forward 15 years and I went to get on a plane last September for our cruise and the irrational fear of flying smacked me in the face. I also learned it makes me motion sick now. :(

But with Boston being our closest home port (only 4 hours away!), we have to fly to cruise anywhere other than Canada, which we'll do someday. I tried to convince DH to drive to Baltimore or New York for our next cruise, but he really wasn't having any of that.

At least when we start having children and bringing them we will be taking that option so we won't have to pay more for airfare than the cruise!

Normally I wouldn't point out this kind of stuff. But you chastised the PP about putting up numbers that didn't "pass the sniff test" and criticized them for not researching their facts before posting. You were an order of magnitude off with your numbers too.

Maggie

Yes I did. I mixed US (315M)and World(7B) number up in my head while typing. I am well aware of the population of the US. It was mistake of typing, not a mistake of not relying upon factual information. I did not quote anything in my post. What I was chastising the PP about was quoting things without thinking about them, I see that happen all the time on the internet.

As well if you read the thread a few more posts down. I corrected myself to the PP and pointed out that his quoted number was actually not even that far off.

It was a surprising statistic indeed.

Billions of people in the U.S.? Wow, your post certainly wins in the "most amusing" category !

In the mid to late 1960's the auto fatality rate reached its maximum in the U.S., with an annual rate of one auto death per 4000 population (roughly 50,000 fatalities per year when the U.S. population was around 200,000,000). I remember that period well, when we were all told that the annual auto toll was roughly equal to U.S. deaths in the Korean War.

Over the past several years the U.S. population has been estimated at just over 310,000,000 and the traffic fatality toll just over 32,000 per year, so the rate has indeed been slightly worse than 1 death per 10,000 population per year. The stats have continued their slow improvement over the last 3 or 4 decades.

Fear of flying is certainly a debilitating disability, and rational arguments about safety are unlikely to make any difference.

Of course, one can argue that mathematical ineptitude is a disability too. :)

I am aware of my Typo. TYVM.

US POP = 315M

World POP = 7B

distance between m and b on a keyboard...1 key.

For anyone who does not like to fly due to ear discomfort and popping, especially children, here is a remedy that was recommended to us by our family Peditrician years ago. Take a dose of non-drowsy Sinus medication 30 minutes prior to take-off. The sinus medication will open up your sinus and ear passages hence no ear popping or pain. We used the children's formula for the kids and we used an adult brand. It works wonders and makes for a pain-free and enjoyable flight.

:)

With regard to the statistic you quoted: My fear of flying has nothing to do with a risk of dying. On all of the flights I have been on (more than 30) I never once considered that I wouldn't make it to my destination. It is the motions and movements of the plane that I find unnerving. Turbulence, dropping suddenly, and small forces on the body when the plane turns make me feel that I am on a roller coaster and that I have left my stomach at some other altitude. It is very unpleasant for me.

On the other hand, the motions of the ship, even in rough seas, do not bother me in the least.

Safe to say, that most of us certainly don't find flying commercially a pleasurable experience, but add airsickness on top of the hassle of flights and I feel for you.

One suggestion I might make if you find yourself having/needing to fly for some reason (and having been on 30 flights you might already know this) is to try and pick your seats towards front and aisle. There is just less noticeable movement on a commercial airline at the front. Most airlines that do assigned seating will let you now upgrade for a minimal cost (about $25?) to the front rows and aisle of coach.

I am so glad I started this thread! I know I'm not the only one that has a fear of flying. I also have a fear of violent thunderstorms and I don't go out in them. Irrational? Yes, I know but the fear is still there nonetheless. I admire everyone who can get on a plane and not think twice about it.

If I were stuck in St. Maarten and the only way home would be to fly, of course I would fly. My family would have been with me and they would have got me through it. I'm just glad that I don't have to make the decision.

To the person that said I would have to be independently wealthy to cruise to Europe, stay and cruise back to the US. It doesn't take independent wealth to accomplish that. Believe me, I checked. Once my husband and I are retired, we plan to do just that.

The only thing keeping us from doing it now is that we work everyday and although I have an abundance of vacation time, I cannot take off for several weeks at a time.

I am very happy to cruise to the ports "only" in the Caribbean. There was a time when I wasn't even doing that. There are still ports in the Caribbean that I haven't yet visited. I happen to like the Bahamas too! I do not feel limited by where I can go. I get enjoyment being on a floating city and meeting people from all over the world.

I love cruising and I will continue to cruise every chance I get and just keep my "fingers crossed" that the ship that I choose to cruise on will be able to make it round trip.

I am aware of my Typo. TYVM.

US POP = 315M

World POP = 7B

distance between m and b on a keyboard...1 key.

I appreciate the ease with which one makes typos. But a bit more going on here I think. Even if one replaced the b with the m, claiming it didn't meet the smell test makes no sense, as the rate was actually worse than 1 per 5,000 a few years back. But still, did make for an amusing letter.

Take a decongestant half an hour before you fly and you won't have the headache and hearing problems after you land.

For anyone who does not like to fly due to ear discomfort and popping, especially children, here is a remedy that was recommended to us by our family Peditrician years ago. Take a dose of non-drowsy Sinus medication 30 minutes prior to take-off. The sinus medication will open up your sinus and ear passages hence no ear popping or pain. We used the children's formula for the kids and we used an adult brand. It works wonders and makes for a pain-free and enjoyable flight.

:)

Another possible result of taking the decongestant before flying: avoiding Mal de debarquement also known as "land sickness". My first 3 cruises, I had the swaying, dizzy feeling from 3 days to 3 months after each cruise. Then I did some research (because I love to cruise and wasn't about to give it up) and discovered that the more severe cases of land sickness occur in people who also fly the day of disembarkment. Taking a decongestant 1/2 hour before flying was strongly recommened in most of the articles I read.

In addition, never once have I experienced motion sickness, but in my research I also found out that taking anti-motion sickness meds starting a couple of nights before debarking helps with the with land sickness as well.

Past two cruises, I started taking Bonine 2 nights before getting off and a decongestant about 1/2 before boarding the plane. I then continued taking doses of both for the next two days after arriving home. I can say that with both, I did not even so much as have 3 minutes of land sickness. Was it the meds? Who knows, but this is a regiment I will follow from here on out.

One suggestion I might make if you find yourself having/needing to fly for some reason is to try and pick your seats towards front and aisle. .

Actually, the least amount of motion on an airplane is where the center of gravity is (which most of the time is somewhere over the wings, not all the way forward). The farther from the center of gravity you are, the worse the "yawing" motion is. The absolute worst place to be is on the last row in the back, where all the up/down, left/right motions are magnified.

Another common mistake a lot of passengers with motion sickness make is that they either, pick a seat away from the window, or close the window shade. One of the best ways to avoid motion sickness is to have an outside visual reference point, preferably the horizon.

rotations.gif

I am so glad I started this thread! I know I'm not the only one that has a fear of flying. I also have a fear of violent thunderstorms and I don't go out in them. Irrational? Yes, I know but the fear is still there nonetheless. I admire everyone who can get on a plane and not think twice about it.

I would not say I don't think twice about flying. Although I am aware that flying is much safer than driving I don't think twice about hopping in a car but everytime I get on a plane I have to actively work to calm myself during takeoff and landing. Having had to travel in planes almost daily for work in the late 90s and early 00s I got plenty of practice. ;) I think for me it is because I am not in control, perhaps for the same reason I cannot sleep in a car.

To the person that said I would have to be independently wealthy to cruise to Europe, stay and cruise back to the US. It doesn't take independent wealth to accomplish that. Believe me, I checked. Once my husband and I are retired, we plan to do just that.

I do hope you enjoy Europe when you do get there! There is a great rail system and you can easily make your way all over the continent without the need of an airplane!

Archived