First NCL Cruise did we do ok?

parttimr

This will be our second cruise, got addicted after the first one on the CCL Valor. Decided to try NCL with all the "specials" we think were to be had. Sailing on the Dawn Jan 2014 Western Caribbean. Were able to get upgrade from BC to BA, coupon book worth $300 in savings, and a reduced deposit by 50% for a total of $1910.48 minus our air fare from the great white north an evil we can't get around, lol. After many readings and feedback on cruise critic we feel we made a good decision, what say you cruise experts. Any thoughts on shore excursions would be appreciated as well for Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. Already did the dolphins in Cozumel last cruise. Thanks for any and all feedback.

We are doing the Dawn in March of 2014. We like NCL and the freestyle cruising. Have done this same itinerary a couple of times. What types of things do you like to do?

Belize - We really enjoyed the excursion to Lamanai it is the best Mayan Ruins we have been to and the trip up the river was great for wildlife viewing. This time we are going to do the Cave tubing. Have also been snorkeling there and that was pretty good.

Costa Maya - We usually just hang out at the beach in Mahajual

Cozumel - last time we did the X rails excursion and it was a blast! will mostly likely do it again this trip

Roatan - Snorkeling at the Tabayana beach - this time we are thinking about going to Maya Key

This will be our second cruise, got addicted after the first one on the CCL Valor. Decided to try NCL with all the "specials" we think were to be had. Sailing on the Dawn Jan 2014 Western Caribbean. Were able to get upgrade from BC to BA, coupon book worth $300 in savings, and a reduced deposit by 50% for a total of $1910.48 minus our air fare from the great white north an evil we can't get around, lol. After many readings and feedback on cruise critic we feel we made a good decision, what say you cruise experts. Any thoughts on shore excursions would be appreciated as well for Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. Already did the dolphins in Cozumel last cruise. Thanks for any and all feedback.

I'm sure you did ok, but January? How can you handle the suspense? Just booked our next one and it is only 74 days out!

I got the coupon book too, there is nothing helpful in it at all...

http://www.ncl.com/csimages/938/568/OnboardCoupons2013.pdf

Well January is the least busy we are both in our jobs and it gets us out of the North Dakota winters for a week anyway. Took my wife overf 30 yrs to get me on a cruise and after just one trip we are addicted. Two things that we didn't find thru NCL that we liked thru CCL are the ability to track your folio (we found mistakes early and they were taken care of very quickly) and no big screen up on deck in the morning to watch the news while eating breakfast. Small things in life I guess.

Hit one of the west end beaches in Roatan. It's beautiful there. You can also zipline, play with monkeys, ride horses, etc...

Infinity Bay

990-vi.jpg

Victor Bodden's place

826-vi.jpg?1363498372

Victor Bodden's zoo area

887-vi.jpg?1363498460

Your $300 coupon book might be worth 50 cents.

Cozumel = Mrs. Sanchos (but next time we'll try Paradise Beach)

Belize = Mayan ruins tour (next time would like to snorkel the reef)

Roatan = Tabyana Beach (best snorkel in the Caribbean right from the beach)

Belize: One big reason: to go to the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world to snorkel in very shallow water and see an abundance of the most variety of creatures in a short amount of time. Even if you don't snorkel - you can see the creatures from the boat - water is so clear - and they dive down and bring up creatures for you to hold and look at if you don't want to snorkel! Then the boat took us to look for manatees and dolphins!

Go to the port boards for mannny more ideas for each port

and go to tripadvisor.com for thousands of reviews

Getting ready to sail NCL for the first time on the Dawn next month so I haven't done any excursions yet. But the price looked high for January so I did a quick check. Sure enough all of the sailings in January are about the same as what we are paying in April. Check some of the large on line agencies and you should find $836 pp and a total of $1672 including all taxes/fees plus $100 on board credit. :)

The coupon book won't do us any good since we don't do any of those things anyway. I checked other site prices for that time frame and the three ships (Liberty, Dawn, & Jewel) all came in within $150 of each other after all totals and our air fare were put into the equation when air fare from up here off stes everyhting unfortunately.

Belize - cavetubing. Pick a company that carries the tube for you almost to the river, tubesare linked by true links instead of holding onto someone's feet..eww..tubes also have mesh seating and headrest....relaxing way to enjoy the river, unBelizeable!

Cozumel - Dolphin swim at Chankanaab

Roatan - Little French Key. Awesome monkey-lala drinks, tasty lunch, and heavenly place. My kids thought it was the best excursion.

Good luck!

Here is what we have done at those ports

Costa Maya---was only there one or 2 times...nothing memorable...we might have gone to some Mayan Ruins

Cozumel/Belize/Roatan-----snorkel:) snorkel:) snorkel :)

We love to snorkel so thats what we do at all ports with a good reef.

Enjoy your cruise.

Here's what we've done in those ports:

Roatan: First time: Victor Bodden tour of the island including horseback riding, the monkeys and lunch at Half Moon. Second and third time: Maya Key through the ship. Lovely relaxing beach day with snorkeling, rescued animals, delicious lunch.

Belize: First time: Cave tubing with DOT com. Second time: Lamanai with ship. Third time: guys went on ship excursion Jungle 4x4, DD and I did Eco Park Horseback riding. All highly recommended.

Costa Maya: Mayan ruins with the Native Choice- first time Chacchoben, second time Kohunlich; last time Dzibanche. We also did a beach day once at Pez Quadro. That was nice also but if you have any interest in Mayan history CM is the stop for that.

Cozumel: We have snorkeled here several times and it was good, but usually we just walk around, shop and have lunch. I recommend Jeanie's for lunch and Los Cinco Soles for shopping.

Well January is the least busy we are both in our jobs and it gets us out of the North Dakota winters for a week anyway. Took my wife overf 30 yrs to get me on a cruise and after just one trip we are addicted. Two things that we didn't find thru NCL that we liked thru CCL are the ability to track your folio (we found mistakes early and they were taken care of very quickly) and no big screen up on deck in the morning to watch the news while eating breakfast. Small things in life I guess.

We just go to guest relations a couple of times and have them print out our charges. We also get one on the last evening for a final check.

Having never sailed CCL, I'm not sure what a folio is or what info it contains, but on NCL if you go to the website and register (top right hand corner of the home page) once you are registered you can go to your Vacation Summary and it has all the information about your cruise(payments, etc, you can book all your shore excursions in the Plan & Explore section), plus you can check in online. When you are 45 days or so out you will be able to print your edocs from there as well as make dinner reservations. I hope that this is what you were looking for.

I did that same itinerary last year on the Dawn's sister ship Star. We had a great time. We are also doing that same itinerary in 2015. Don't count too much on the $300 in coupons unless you buy internet, pictures on board etc. In my opinion most of them are worthless. By folio if you mean your sign and sail account at least on the Star there wasn't that option. I did like that on the Valor as well as being able to check out menu's online.

Belize - Lamanai ruins through NCL as another posted mentioned. Full day (really full day!) but so worth it.

Costa Maya - We did Maya Chan all inclusive resort for the day. Fantastic and we plan on doing it again in 2015.

Cozumel - We did a snorkeling tour through NCL that included a beach stop and lunch / drinks. Lots of fun.

Roatan - We did a island tour through NCL but will probably try something different in 2015.

Having never sailed CCL, I'm not sure what a folio is or what info it contains, but on NCL if you go to the website and register (top right hand corner of the home page) once you are registered you can go to your Vacation Summary and it has all the information about your cruise(payments, etc, you can book all your shore excursions in the Plan & Explore section), plus you can check in online. When you are 45 days or so out you will be able to print your edocs from there as well as make dinner reservations. I hope that this is what you were looking for.

A folio is your on-board account. You can view it on your TV to make sure your charges are correct. It's nice to have but we've never been lost without it. :D

Here are some ideas: we have done that itinerary several times; Belize: I will leave that to someone else as we are not lovers of Belize, just a personal thing, some people love it: Roatan, there are several good tour companies, we used Victor Bordon, make sure you let them know the Tabyana Beach is the number 1 thing you want to do and see. The snorkeling is fantastic, but if you don't let them know, you may end up spending more time touring the island than at the beach. And ask for the beach part to be first, otherwise you may end up fighting a thousand other people. There are a lot of things to do in Roatan, but the beach experience is number one. Also, make sure you stop at one of the little roadside stands and check out the Mahogany (spelling) wood crafted peices. You can usually get the price down and pieces are really worth the money...

Costa Maya: depending on what you like: some do the ruins: others spend time at Maya something resort. I can't remember the name but you can just check the ports a call section to find out. It is a wonderful day, nice beach, great food and service, water activites (the snorkeling isn't much) but everything is included except for the mesages and they are very inexpensive. It was a wonderful day.

Cozumel: so much to do, so short a time: We like the national park with activities like feeding the Sea Lions or swimming with the Dolphins. There are a lot of other activities. I would suggest you go to the ports a call for Cozumel as well. if you have time, make sure you eat at Ponchos backyard...Great food and lots of fun..plus some unusual shopping.

Your rate is pretty good, but everyone gets the coupon book (as others have said basically useless) and most pay the 50% reduced deposit.

Roatan: we have done the monkey zoo (very cool as you can see from Mike's pics) and Bananarama Beach. Beautiful

Belize: Cavetubing VIV. Just check it out. Best excursion ever.

Cozumel: Many options. We have done the Fury catamaran and snorkel. Always fun. Paradise Beach is great.

Costa Maya: Majahual Beach was close and beautiful.

894272819_Cruise2012464.jpg.a028eae1ecdf881b9786c313d56e9a63.jpg

We are doing the Dawn in March of 2014. We like NCL and the freestyle cruising. Have done this same itinerary a couple of times. What types of things do you like to do?

Belize - We really enjoyed the excursion to Lamanai it is the best Mayan Ruins we have been to and the trip up the river was great for wildlife viewing. This time we are going to do the Cave tubing. Have also been snorkeling there and that was pretty good.

Costa Maya - We usually just hang out at the beach in Mahajual

Cozumel - last time we did the X rails excursion and it was a blast! will mostly likely do it again this trip

Roatan - Snorkeling at the Tabayana beach - this time we are thinking about going to Maya Key

Agree with all of these. However I would do Maya Key in Roatan. JMHO. This really is a great run. Done it many time over the last few years.

Archived