Just off Independence of the Seas 3/10-16

I don't know - college kids vs folks on scooters?

Hmmmm, let me think? Since I took about 20 years to get my degree, I think I'll go with the college kids! :D

But about the hot tub photos - yep a lot of kids in the hot tub but no where near 50 imho.

I agree with you, and not sure why so many are on the side of the college kids. It's completely unacceptable for RCI to allow that to go on, period. I would have been at the Purser's desk asking for someone to take care of the situation immediately. Sorry you experienced this. Not sure how so many of these kids are able to afford cruises with Royal Caribbean during "Spring Break."

Hmmmm, let me think? Since I took about 20 years to get my degree, I think I'll go with the college kids! :D

But about the hot tub photos - yep a lot of kids in the hot tub but no where near 50 imho.

Agreed! :D

OP- I completely understand. We paid a premium to sail on Jewel doing the same 6 night cruise in 2006 since it was the newest ship in the fleet. Same story (less the drink package). But honestly, do you really think every college kid could afford to blow $300 on an unlimited drink package on top of a cruise? I highly doubt it, I'm sure they sneak it on just like every other year (let's not get into that :eek: :))

Having said that, even though the Indy is somewhat new, anything under 7 nights is going to attract a younger crowd. If you will look at the price difference in the 6 and 8 night cruises on Indy, the price difference is substantial, thus I wouldn't call it a "top of the line" RCI cruise.

I'm sorry you were so bothered by them and RCI probably should do more, but just don't cruise spring break next time :)

I agree with you, and not sure why so many are on the side of the college kids. It's completely unacceptable for RCI to allow that to go on, period. I would have been at the Purser's desk asking for someone to take care of the situation immediately. Sorry you experienced this. Not sure how so many of these kids are able to afford cruises with Royal Caribbean during "Spring Break."

We were told by other families that they had complained and nothing was done. The day with the funnels and shotgunning of beers in the pool a security officer was there watching the entire thing. They obviously knew it was happening they just didn't care. And this is after members of these groups were thrown off the ship. To the poster that said there weren't that many in the hot tub, I blurred the photo deliberately. Trust me there are over 60.

The only part that is surprising is that people keep saying this happens on every ship. It doesn't. Carnival wouldn't have allowed these groups because of the age policies. That and the new drink packages made this a slam dunk for the affluent spring breaker.

OP, thanks for the post, you did an excellent job describing exactly what your experience was.

Thanks. I'm hesitant to post the videos. I can't blur out the faces and like I said the gist of what went on has already been gone over. The fact that some parties had to be tossed off the boat for tossing stuff off the boat says enough, JMHO.

It looks like the going rate was about $882 for a balcony with 4 people in it. It was put together by various agencies for the various schools. I heard they totally sold out each of their package blocks which means it'll continue to grow, JMHO.

Do you have a link to that advertisement?

I was counting not only the hot tub kids, but the kids standing around the hot tub in that first photo. ;)

Agreed! :D

OP- I completely understand. We paid a premium to sail on Jewel doing the same 6 night cruise in 2006 since it was the newest ship in the fleet. Same story (less the drink package). But honestly, do you really think every college kid could afford to blow $300 on an unlimited drink package on top of a cruise? I highly doubt it, I'm sure they sneak it on just like every other year (let's not get into that :eek: :))

Having said that, even though the Indy is somewhat new, anything under 7 nights is going to attract a younger crowd. If you will look at the price difference in the 6 and 8 night cruises on Indy, the price difference is substantial, thus I wouldn't call it a "top of the line" RCI cruise.

I'm sorry you were so bothered by them and RCI probably should do more, but just don't cruise spring break next time :)

I think some of you are having a real hard time understanding, or are blinded by your allegiance to RCCL.

I got to know some of the kids from the various schools. MOST had the drink package, it was something we talked about at the bars. A few were paying as they went but most were doing what we did. It's not hard to see. It's incredibly easy to identify those with a drink package self included.

We will book the same cruise next year, but probably on a Carnival ship or another line with an age policy. I do believe based on conversations on the ship the reason this cruise was targeted is the combination of drink package and age policy.

I was counting not only the hot tub kids, but the kids standing around the hot tub in that first photo. ;)

There were over 50 in the tub itself. I blurred the photo.

Search for university spring break cruise 2013 royal Caribbean

It's the first one on the list, you can find others the same way. There were 3 other main schools represented.

There are no sides to be "taken." I was there, too, and my experience was quite different from that of the OP. We certainly did not feel we needed to alter our plans in any way. We were on the pool deck for most of the afternoon on both Tuesday and Wednesday - yes, it was crowded; yes, there were lots of college kids; there were also a few adults who drew more negative attention to themselves than the college crowd did. We did not see any type of overcrowding in the hot tubs while we were there; however, had there been 60+ in one hot tub, there would have been little chance of drowning - there wouldn't have been enough room for that to happen! I can't comment on Friday - it was way too windy to be out on the open decks for long!

Underage drinking on cruise ships has gone on forever. We've seen completely hammered high school kids, singly and in groups, whose parents were buying drinks and passing them off to them. Kids have been throwing deck chairs overboard for years; this is nothing new either. We did observe two high school boys who were being detained and interviewed by the police in the port terminal in Falmouth. I'm guessing that did not end well. On an NCL ship several years ago, a group of women from France entertained everyone on the pool deck by sunbathing topless all day. We've experienced groups of kids who park themselves on staircases and make it difficult for others to get by. And then there are the little darlings who roam the decks stealing room service breakfast orders!

The point is, no cruise is perfect - each one is what you make of it. There are always "issues" of one kind or another. The OP's cruise was apparently destroyed by the actions of these college groups while some others on the same sailing did not have the same experience.

There are no sides to be "taken." I was there, too, and my experience was quite different from that of the OP. We certainly did not feel we needed to alter our plans in any way. We were on the pool deck for most of the afternoon on both Tuesday and Wednesday - yes, it was crowded; yes, there were lots of college kids; there were also a few adults who drew more negative attention to themselves than the college crowd did. We did not see any type of overcrowding in the hot tubs while we were there; however, had there been 60+ in one hot tub, there would have been little chance of drowning - there wouldn't have been enough room for that to happen! I can't comment on Friday - it was way too windy to be out on the open decks for long!

Underage drinking on cruise ships has gone on forever. We've seen completely hammered high school kids, singly and in groups, whose parents were buying drinks and passing them off to them. Kids have been throwing deck chairs overboard for years; this is nothing new either. We did observe two high school boys who were being detained and interviewed by the police in the port terminal in Falmouth. I'm guessing that did not end well. On an NCL ship several years ago, a group of women from France entertained everyone on the pool deck by sunbathing topless all day. We've experienced groups of kids who park themselves on staircases and make it difficult for others to get by. And then there are the little darlings who roam the decks stealing room service breakfast orders!

The point is, no cruise is perfect - each one is what you make of it. There are always "issues" of one kind or another. The OP's cruise was apparently destroyed by the actions of these college groups while some others on the same sailing did not have the same experience.

I never said it was destroyed. I'm posting pictures from different days/times showing what was going on, all everyone else is saying is that they were there but it wasn't that bad. Well, where are the photos of the pools and hot tubs?

We cruise to enjoy the pools. Funneling beers isn't what i'd consider acceptable, chanting to see breasts isn't what I'd consider acceptable. Let me know when you book your next cruise and we can sit together at a show while I get hammered, spill beer all over the place and ask the women in the row in front of me to take of their tops while funneling beers or better yet at dinner. If it effects the things you really enjoy I'm sure you'd feel differently. Luckily most were passing out early enough that it didn't spread too late into the evening.

I've been cruising for 20 years now. This is the first cruise I've ever been on where people were removed for throwing parts of the ship overboard. That should say enough.

I think some of you are having a real hard time understanding, or are blinded by your allegiance to RCCL.

I got to know some of the kids from the various schools. MOST had the drink package, it was something we talked about at the bars. A few were paying as they went but most were doing what we did. It's not hard to see. It's incredibly easy to identify those with a drink package self included.

We will book the same cruise next year, but probably on a Carnival ship or another line with an age policy. I do believe based on conversations on the ship the reason this cruise was targeted is the combination of drink package and age policy.

I don't think anybody is having a hard time understanding. I do, however, think somebody may be hypersensitive to people not seeing this 'problem' as the end of the world.

I have to laugh at your last paragraph. Let us know how that works for you next year :rolleyes:!

A little more seriously, I think ship's security needs to be a little more visible during spring break but I don't see a need to crack down on every single infraction. As far as drinking in the pools that should have been stopped early on.

I can't say anything about how people dress in the MDR because according to the anti proper dress police as long as they were not wearing their b'day suits all is well with that. :rolleyes:

You need to choose a smaller cruise line such as Seabourne or Crystal who does not offer short sailings. You are going to encounter this sort of problem on any cruise line. The problem does not lie within the unlimited booze and the cruise line; the problem lies in your expectations for a mass market line on college spring break. You should express your concerns to Royal Caribbean and move along.

I don't think anybody is having a hard time understanding. I do, however, think somebody may be hypersensitive to people not seeing this 'problem' as the end of the world.

I have to laugh at your last paragraph. Let us know how that works for you next year :rolleyes:!

I'm thinking most of the people that didn't think the pool issues were a big deal are the people you wouldn't want to see in the pool in the first place. :o

I've done cruises on both, the only bad experience I've had with out of control drinking was on RCCL. No problems last year.

Post up on the meet and greet next time you're going I'll bring the funnel. :)

You need to choose a smaller cruise line such as Seabourne or Crystal who does not offer short sailings. You are going to encounter this sort of problem on any cruise line. The problem does not lie within the unlimited booze and the cruise line; the problem lies in your expectations for a mass market line on college spring break. You should express your concerns to Royal Caribbean and move along.

I've been on other cruises during this very same week. I never saw anything like this dating back to the early 90s. Again the specific reason given was the drink package and the lax age restrictions when compared to other lines as a reason for choosing this one over Carnival and others. Carnival wouldn't allow under 21s in a cabin unless they had a 25+ with them, so they ended up here apparently.

But you are right. I don't think there will be any changes, money talks. I think it'll get worse until they make changes but in the meantime we may check out some of the other lines next March.

Perhaps no one else felt the need to take photos of the pools and hot tubs because there was nothing going on that screamed "photo op" or perhaps everyone else was just enjoying their vacation.

I, too, have been cruising for over 20 years, and, while I have not experienced it personally, a search of Cruise Critic archives will probably turn up other instances of people being put off the ship for tossing items like deck chairs overboard.

Maybe Jimmy Buffett put it best: Breathe in, breathe out, move on.

Perhaps no one else felt the need to take photos of the pools and hot tubs because there was nothing going on that screamed "photo op" or perhaps everyone else was just enjoying their vacation.

I, too, have been cruising for over 20 years, and, while I have not experienced it personally, a search of Cruise Critic archives will probably turn up other instances of people being put off the ship for tossing items like deck chairs overboard.

Maybe Jimmy Buffett put it best: Breathe in, breathe out, move on.

On one of RCCL's premium ships? I doubt that, but who knows.

This was one of the first cruises with the new policy in place, or perhaps the first under 7 day cruise with it in place during the spring break weeks. The pool decks were a mess. I'm hoping RCCL saw it as a problem and made changes, if not it is what it is.

The Allure had none of these issues and it wasn't part of the group buying programs for spring break party cruising. There's probably something to that.

Why did I take the photos? Because what was going on was so ridiculous I figured it was worthy of a picture. This site is about taking the good with the bad in reading it over the years but not posting. This was one exceedingly bad aspect of the cruise that still shocks me given it was RCCL. IMO it was worthy of a photo because words don't do it justice. The videos would hammer it home even more but I have no mechanism for blurring.

Happy cruising

Um, with all due respect-I don't think your idea of trying Carnival to avoid this situation would be a good one. I'd say either don't cruise during spring break, or try another more upscale line. Unfortunately, I think this will become the norm during that period if Royal doesn't do anything about it. And they probably won't.

On one of RCCL's premium ships? I doubt that, but who knows.

This was one of the first cruises with the new policy in place, or perhaps the first under 7 day cruise with it in place during the spring break weeks. The pool decks were a mess. I'm hoping RCCL saw it as a problem and made changes, if not it is what it is.

The Allure had none of these issues and it wasn't part of the group buying programs for spring break party cruising. There's probably something to that.

Why did I take the photos? Because what was going on was so ridiculous I figured it was worthy of a picture. This site is about taking the good with the bad in reading it over the years but not posting. This was one exceedingly bad aspect of the cruise that still shocks me given it was RCCL. IMO it was worthy of a photo because words don't do it justice. The videos would hammer it home even more but I have no mechanism for blurring.

Happy cruising

You keep saying one of Royals premier ships. It was a short cruise and this ship is one of last ones to be upgraded. The age of the ship has little to no impact on this problem. It all depends on $ and the Independence is not going for premium prices except for the 8 night and Europe itineraries.

Um, with all due respect-I don't think your idea of trying Carnival to avoid this situation would be a good one. I'd say either don't cruise during spring break, or try another more upscale line. Unfortunately, I think this will become the norm during that period if Royal doesn't do anything about it. And they probably won't.

Every cruise will have spring breakers. What happened last week was the culmination of the advertising done by the groups, the drink package and the age restrictions. Like I said we talked to one of the group "leaders" and the 50 people in their party picked this ship over CCL because of the age restrictions in place at CCL and the drink package. The age restrictions allowed them on, the drink package could be manipulated enough to provide group drink.

I'm not certain RCCL will let it slide. I'm guessing there were over 200, perhaps 300 college kids in these 4 groups. Probably half were on deck, many were hardly noticed. But the 100-200 that were either removed, or active on the deck shall we say probably weren't worth the revenue vs the aggravation. It would not be very difficult to block the groups from the premium ships. JMHO.

If this happened on a CCL cruise I wouldn't be surprised. They're the party line. I'm still really surprised it happened on one of RCCL's newest ships.

Every cruise will have spring breakers. What happened last week was the culmination of the advertising done by the groups, the drink package and the age restrictions. Like I said we talked to one of the group "leaders" and the 50 people in their party picked this ship over CCL because of the age restrictions in place at CCL and the drink package. The age restrictions allowed them on, the drink package could be manipulated enough to provide group drink.

I'm not certain RCCL will let it slide. I'm guessing there were over 200, perhaps 300 college kids in these 4 groups. Probably half were on deck, many were hardly noticed. But the 100-200 that were either removed, or active on the deck shall we say probably weren't worth the revenue vs the aggravation. It would not be very difficult to block the groups from the premium ships. JMHO.

If this happened on a CCL cruise I wouldn't be surprised. They're the party line. I'm still really surprised it happened on one of RCCL's newest ships.

I understand, I wouldn't be happy either as most of my time is spent poolside on a cruise. My point is just that I wouldn't choose Carnival during Spring Break, either, if I were looking to avoid these issues. Me personally, I can't deal with what you experienced, so I cruise during other times. Good luck with whatever you decide!

You keep saying one of Royals premier ships. It was a short cruise and this ship is one of last ones to be upgraded. The age of the ship has little to no impact on this problem. It all depends on $ and the Independence is not going for premium prices except for the 8 night and Europe itineraries.

I've always had the assumption that RCCL was a luxury brand. I don't feel that this was a step up over previous NCL or CCL cruises (dream class on CCL). In booking future cruises I'll certainly weigh the value vs cost on a different scale.

In fairness we knew people on the Allure and had lunch with them in Jamaica. They had something like 1400 kids on their cruise (young kids) which made daycare tough but overall they had zero of the issues we had on our ship. So come next spring we'll search to see which RCCL cruises are booking out as college party trips and avoid them. That might be a suggestion for others as well. You can pay the same price on other RCCL ships or other lines and avoid the college groups. I never thought to look as I just never assumed RCCL would allow big blocks to be booked out.

Editing after your post, same to you. I wouldn't hesitate to book any line with an age restriction in place. I'm pretty confident based on our conversations with the college kids that RCCL was picked specifically because they allow underage kids to room with other college aged kids. Like you I think the problem is going to grow for RCCL. The all inclusive drink packages are going to be a magnet.

This thread is going nowhere. There have been multiple people on your sailing say there was no problem. Contact Royal Caribbean about the issue. Talking about it on a website isn't going to do anything.

Next year go to the adults pool. Nothing to see here, lets move on.

This thread is going nowhere. There have been multiple people on your sailing say there was no problem. Contact Royal Caribbean about the issue. Talking about it on a website isn't going to do anything.

Next year go to the adults pool. Nothing to see here, lets move on.

I'd never do that with kids, but that's what others were doing. Just because someone is being inconsiderate and effecting me I won't turn around and do it to others.

No, they said it didn't effect them. My guess is they aren't pool people. If a day on deck for them involves sitting in a deck chair reading a book or looking at girls in bikinis I guess I'd have been fine too.

This site is about reviews, I posted one. Most of it was very good. There was one aspect that was bad. It's the first "short" sailing on a spring break period with the new packages in place. It's relevant and barring changes likely what I saw will become the norm on the spring break targeted RCCL cruises.

Enjoy.

:( this sounds horrible, im sorry you had such a bad experience. Im off on my first ever cruise which happens to be the Independence (14 night Italian cruise) in July this year........my son will be 13 yrs old by then also my parents are joining us, this is not the image we have envisioned of a RCI cruise. Thinking maybe I made a mistake choosing RCI :(

We will be cruising with you in July. Don't worry, I doubt we will have college spring breakers on a two week Med cruise. We have been on 8 RCCL cruises, and have enjoyed all of them. Have not experienced the bad behavior like this on any of our 5 spring break cruises.

Archived