Just off Independence of the Seas 3/10-16

We are Canadians in our fifties and were on this cruise, and I can say that the college students did not effect our cruise. Actually enjoy seeing young people enjoying themselves. As for pool deck on last day it was simply too cool and windy to enjoy the deck it had nothing to do with the students.

Good grief, this is not a big enough issue to contact the CEO of a company. This is so blown out of proportion it is laughable.

It may not be to you but if the OP and others think it is then stop slamming them.

People have the right to an opinion which is not always the same as yours. You appear very condescending,

Agreed and a letter along with the DVD of what went on is going out in the morning.

I think changes will come but it'll be because the auditors see that something was horribly amiss with booze consumption per tag holder on that cruise. Money talks.

It may not be to you but if the OP and others think it is then stop slamming them.

People have the right to an opinion which is not always the same as yours. You appear very condescending.

We are Canadians in our fifties and were on this cruise, and I can say that the college students did not effect our cruise. Actually enjoy seeing young people enjoying themselves. As for pool deck on last day it was simply too cool and windy to enjoy the deck it had nothing to do with the students.

LOL. It was 75 degrees and actually really nice in the middle of the ship (where all the idiots were). And the photos weren't all from the last day, some were from the early stages of the cruise when it was 85.

Heck I never knew it was just kids having fun. I'm going to ask every lady I see to bare her breasts while I funnel beers at the ice show. It's all good fun wooh wooh!

LOL. It was 75 degrees and actually really nice in the middle of the ship (where all the idiots were). And the photos weren't all from the last day, some were from the early stages of the cruise when it was 85.

Heck I never knew it was just kids having fun. I'm going to ask every lady I see to bare her breasts while I funnel beers at the ice show. It's all good fun wooh wooh!

It amazes me when people respond to someone's post regarding a negative experience with saying "I never experienced that" or "I didn't take it that way." Just because YOU didn't experience s'thing doesn't mean someone else didn't, even on the same cruise.

I'm also amazed at all the people saying it was just "kids having fun." I don't think so.

Wow!

I was on this sailing too as many of you know.

I'm so happy I missed all this because I wouldn't want to be in the middle of the disagreement. And in the words of youtube sensation Sweet Brown, "Ain't nobody got time got that!"

We did a second cruise on Celebrity after this one, so i'm just getting back to weigh in.

I will be posting an EXTREMELY detailed review including the spring breakers.

It amazes me when people respond to someone's post regarding a negative experience with saying "I never experienced that" or "I didn't take it that way." Just because YOU didn't experience s'thing doesn't mean someone else didn't, even on the same cruise.

I'm also amazed at all the people saying it was just "kids having fun." I don't think so.

Picture being with a lady, your spouse, daughter, mother perhaps and having to listen to that stuff on a cruise and then turning to them and saying "sorry that's just kids being kids please accept and expect this demeaning behavior" sets a pretty low bar in life I think. I mean how do you justify or explain that behavior to a woman as kids being kids?

We enjoyed our cruise. It's a nice ship. Some of the staff were extraordinary. The ports were great. I have confidence that RCCL doesn't to be the booze cruise line with funnels in the pool and chanting to encourage women to bear their breasts. I believe they'll figure out what came together here to make it an unpleasant experience at times and adjust.

Or they'll end up on Inside Edition or some other news show again and be like Carnival, never learning from their issues until real damage is done. If they don't get a handle on this in a year or two the word will have spread and instead of 1 or 2 ships it'll be a lot of their fleet being inundated by college kids looking to get smashed. The more of them their are on the boat, the further they will spread. The more on each boat the more of an incentive for TA's to put the packages together. Trust me when I tell you from talking to them as a group this was the best college vacation you could have for the money. If I were a 19-21 year old college student it's a slam dunk that this is what I'd do.

Picture being with a lady, your spouse, daughter, mother perhaps and having to listen to that stuff on a cruise and then turning to them and saying "sorry that's just kids being kids please accept and expect this demeaning behavior" sets a pretty low bar in life I think. I mean how do you justify or explain that behavior to a woman as kids being kids?

We enjoyed our cruise. It's a nice ship. Some of the staff were extraordinary. The ports were great. I have confidence that RCCL doesn't to be the booze cruise line with funnels in the pool and chanting to encourage women to bear their breasts. I believe they'll figure out what came together here to make it an unpleasant experience at times and adjust.

Or they'll end up on Inside Edition or some other news show again and be like Carnival, never learning from their issues until real damage is done. If they don't get a handle on this in a year or two the word will have spread and instead of 1 or 2 ships it'll be a lot of their fleet being inundated by college kids looking to get smashed. The more of them their are on the boat, the further they will spread. The more on each boat the more of an incentive for TA's to put the packages together. Trust me when I tell you from talking to them as a group this was the best college vacation you could have for the money. If I were a 19-21 year old college student it's a slam dunk that this is what I'd do.

I know what you mean. I would have been MORTIFIED if I had experienced that behavior.

When people write these reviews and not only are they the only one that experience such poor behavior but others on the same cruise say they didn't, then I take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When people write these reviews and not only are they the only one that experience such poor behavior but others on the same cruise say they didn't, then I take it with a grain of salt.

Others reported hearing the exact chanting I reported. Others reported having to have their kids look the other way when watching the DVD of the genitals in the face contest which they passed off as the sexiest man.

The photos showed the hot tub and a kid with a funnel IN the hot tub.

Pretty much everyone reported seeing the same thing. It's just the some think it's socially acceptable to ask women to show them their breasts I guess? Or they really didn't much time in the section where the drunken boozefest was going on.

And keep in mind others reported that a group was thrown off for throwing stuff over the side of the ship. I think those may have been the better behaved ones based on what we saw.

Others reported hearing the exact chanting I reported. Others reported having to have their kids look the other way when watching the DVD of the genitals in the face contest which they passed off as the sexiest man.

Pretty much everyone reported seeing the same thing. It's just the some think it's socially acceptable to ask women to show them their breasts I guess? Or they really didn't much time in the section where the drunken boozefest was going on.

And keep in mind others reported that a group was thrown off for throwing stuff over the side of the ship. I think those may have been the better behaved ones based on what we saw.

You keep saying others saw this and others saw that but the overwhelming majority of comments minimize your account. I can only go by what I read. By the way, you still didn't answer whether this is the only Cruise Critic username you've ever posted under.

Just when I thought this thread had finally died, it's back! I've gone back and re-read this entire thread - most of the posters who were actually on this cruise (myself included) agree that while the groups of spring breakers could be a distraction at times, it was easy to avoid them. Also, if you were so "distressed" by the college kids' behavior, why do you keep threatening to mimic their actions, especially in the MDR or the ice show (where none of this took place)?

As a former English teacher, I'd be happy to instruct you about the correct usages of bare/bear and they're/there/their.

Just when I thought this thread had finally died, it's back! I've gone back and re-read this entire thread - most of the posters who were actually on this cruise (myself included) agree that while the groups of spring breakers could be a distraction at times, it was easy to avoid them. Also, if you were so "distressed" by the college kids' behavior, why do you keep threatening to mimic their actions, especially in the MDR or the ice show (where none of this took place)?

As a former English teacher, I'd be happy to instruct you about the correct usages of bare/bear and they're/there/their.

How patronising and bullying to point out someone's use of grammar / language. I'm ashamed to be a fellow cruiser of yours

You keep saying others saw this and others saw that but the overwhelming majority of comments minimize your account. I can only go by what I read. By the way, you still didn't answer whether this is the only Cruise Critic username you've ever posted under.

The photos don't minimize my account. They show a kid with a funnel in the hot tub in the middle of the day. Half the people that commented about the day they presumed to be the funnel day had it wrong which goes to show maybe they weren't there as often as they thought and I have still not seen a photo from that week from any of the so called passengers showing the hot tubs.

Are funnels allowed in the MDR on Royal Caribbean ships on smart casual nights, or are funnels strictly casual nights?

I guess youz did'nt hears about the incident early in da week?

I don't care if you could avoid them. I wasn't taking a survey. I didn't take the cruise to do whatever it was that you did. I reported on the pool area here so others could read the experience good and bad. I don't think using a funnel in a public part of the ship in front of kids is any more appropriate in the pool than it is in the MDR, the ice show, the Once Upon A Time show, or in the kids zone. I guess you think it's acceptable as long as it is in the pool and as long as they're not asking you, or asking people around you to show your ti*s or man ti*s or whatever the case may be at that moment.

You seem to think it's our job as passengers to avoid the drunken idiots that were so over-served they got confused about whether or not deck chairs should be thrown into the ocean or sat on Monday. I didn't think funneling beers in the hot tubs in the middle of the day would be part of my cruise experience with Royal Caribbean.

The college kids were there to have fun in the sun. Just like many of us. I never said they did anything but overcrowd the pools and hot tubs and turn that scene into Animal House. Mostly they were good kids which is a good thing for RCCL. They may not be so lucky next year.

My OP wasn't a survey of who was bothered. I posted pictures showing what went on, the funnel, the overcrowding in the hot tubs so others could visualize for themselves how it was and make their own determination of whether it was acceptable. Mainly in finding that this particular cruise was booked out by TA's specifically for large blocks of students I hoped to relay that information for those that choose to use the pools and not retreat (avoid them) in future cruises. You can bet based on the fun that was had, the drink package and the ability to share drinks (no wrist bands etc.) this is going to be a growing problem barring change.

Thankz.

How patronising and bullying to point out someone's use of grammar / language. I'm ashamed to be a fellow cruiser of yours

Hopefully none of you have to get chased out of the areas of the ship you enjoy or have to "avoid" groups of passengers for fear of safety. Good luck in future cruises.

The photos don't minimize my account. They show a kid with a funnel in the hot tub in the middle of the day. Half the people that commented about the day they presumed to be the funnel day had it wrong which goes to show maybe they weren't there as often as they thought and I have still not seen a photo from that week from any of the so called passengers showing the hot tubs.

You deleted all your photos. Curious again why you haven't answered whether you've posted on Cruise Critic under another username. Are you dodging the question?

Did you not see the smiley face icon at the top of the post? The comment was meant to try to lighten up the tone.

The photos don't minimize my account. They show a kid with a funnel in the hot tub in the middle of the day. Half the people that commented about the day they presumed to be the funnel day had it wrong which goes to show maybe they weren't there as often as they thought and I have still not seen a photo from that week from any of the so called passengers showing the hot tubs. ???????

Are funnels allowed in the MDR on Royal Caribbean ships on smart casual nights, or are funnels strictly casual nights? I assume this is a rhetorical question.

I guess youz did'nt hears about the incident early in da week? Huh?

I don't care if you could avoid them. I wasn't taking a survey. I didn't take the cruise to do whatever it was that you did. You have no idea why I took the cruise or what I chose to do or not do during it. I reported on the pool area here so others could read the experience good and bad. I don't think using a funnel in a public part of the ship in front of kids is any more appropriate in the pool than it is in the MDR, the ice show, the Once Upon A Time show, or in the kids zone. I guess you think it's acceptable as long as it is in the pool and as long as they're not asking you, or asking people around you to show your ti*s or man ti*s or whatever the case may be at that moment. I, too, reported on what I observed in the pool area during the two afternoons I spent there. I certainly don't think the behaviors you have described (repeatedly) are acceptable, but I did not experience those behaviors.

You seem to think it's our job as passengers to avoid the drunken idiots I said people could avoid them, I didn't say they had to do so.that were so over-served they got confused about whether or not deck chairs should be thrown into the ocean or sat on Monday. I didn't think funneling beers in the hot tubs in the middle of the day would be part of my cruise experience with Royal Caribbean.

The college kids were there to have fun in the sun. Just like many of us. I never said they did anything but overcrowd the pools and hot tubs and turn that scene into Animal House. Mostly they were good kids which is a good thing for RCCL. They may not be so lucky next year.

My OP wasn't a survey of who was bothered. I posted pictures showing what went on, the funnel, the overcrowding in the hot tubs so others could visualize for themselves how it was and make their own determination of whether it was acceptable. Mainly in finding that this particular cruise was booked out by TA's specifically for large blocks of students I hoped to relay that information for those that choose to use the pools and not retreat (avoid them) in future cruises. You can bet based on the fun that was had, the drink package and the ability to share drinks (no wrist bands etc.) this is going to be a growing problem barring change.

Thankz.

Hopefully none of you have to get chased out of the areas of the ship you enjoy or have to "avoid" groups of passengers for fear of safety. Good luck in future cruises.

As I've said before, you've voiced your opinion repeatedly here. I hope you've expressed your views to Adam Goldstein as well. Have a lovely evening.

As I've said before, you've voiced your opinion repeatedly here. I hope you've expressed your views to Adam Goldstein as well. Have a lovely evening.

If being ripped apart by Inside Edition last year wasn't an impetus for change I am pretty certain contacting the same guy as a citizen will do no good. I think they're pretty content with the way things are going.

The OP was intended to provide a review of our experience in the main pool. If that spares someone the same experience next year great. Hopefully people will search and if that behavior bugs them they can find another RCCL ship to go on that isn't being bulk booked as a spring break cruise.

You seem like a nice, reasoned person. All I'm saying to you is if this stuff was going on in the area of the ship you valued the most for your particular vacation you'd feel differently. I hope that never happens despite my jokes to the contrary. I sincerely hope funnels aren't going to become a fixture on RCCL cruises regardless of the time of year. Leave that for the other lines.

Enjoy your evening, and your next cruise.

If being ripped apart by Inside Edition last year wasn't an impetus for change I am pretty certain contacting the same guy as a citizen will do no good. I think they're pretty content with the way things are going.

The OP was intended to provide a review of our experience in the main pool. If that spares someone the same experience next year great. Hopefully people will search and if that behavior bugs them they can find another RCCL ship to go on that isn't being bulk booked as a spring break cruise.

You seem like a nice, reasoned person. All I'm saying to you is if this stuff was going on in the area of the ship you valued the most for your particular vacation you'd feel differently. I hope that never happens despite my jokes to the contrary. I sincerely hope funnels aren't going to become a fixture on RCCL cruises regardless of the time of year. Leave that for the other lines.

Enjoy your evening, and your next cruise.

What was your Cruise Critic username before March 16th? :D

I know from reading this thread that the issue I highlighted has really bothered you so I thought I'd tell you this little story. When we switched over from Celebrity and sailed RCI for the very first time on Explorer we sailed out of Miami and were passing Navigator. As we went by the ship this guy yells out across to the folks on Navigator the very same thing that you are having a problem with. Well I'll tell you, my parents were on this cruise and I was quite embarrassed to have that happen in front of my mother. And my first thought was.... Is this what it is like to sail on RCI? Fortunately, we never encountered anything like that again on either that cruise or any other RCI cruise. But after all these years I still remember it and I do have a lot of empathy for you in having to put up with it on your cruise.

I know from reading this thread that the issue I highlighted has really bothered you so I thought I'd tell you this little story. When we switched over from Celebrity and sailed RCI for the very first time on Explorer we sailed out of Miami and were passing Navigator. As we went by the ship this guy yells out across to the folks on Navigator the very same thing that you are having a problem with. Well I'll tell you, my parents were on this cruise and I was quite embarrassed to have that happen in front of my mother. And my first thought was.... Is this what it is like to sail on RCI? Fortunately, we never encountered anything like that again on either that cruise or any other RCI cruise. But after all these years I still remember it and I do have a lot of empathy for you in having to put up with it on your cruise.

I would've been so embarrassed too!

• 2 months later...
Ask away!

Overall we enjoyed the trip but there were some real issues with this trip centering around the animal house atmosphere on the main pool decks. "Chug chug chug" are not the words I wanted my kids to remember from this cruise. I always assumed RCL was the higher class line which is why we booked it....

...I cannot say I'd do another RCL cruise during this week I'd pick the lines that prevent 20 year olds from lodging with 21 year olds. Word is going to spread fast that RCL ships are the place to be for all you can drink partying with little supervision/prevention of underage drinking. It took a cruise that was a 9 down to about a 7 because we couldn't use the two main pools or 3 hot tubs at ALL this entire week.

First of all, THANKS for your great review and information.

Your points are well taken. Spring break tends to bring out all the drinking crazys on all cruise lines. Carnival is notorious as a "party boat" cruise line.

If we saw what you saw...we'd be hunting down staff to end things or have those nutcases thrown off at the next port.

We booked our cruise a week later in 2014, knowing that Easter falls very late in April (4/20) next year. Supposedly Spring break in many places will adjust as well.

To date, we like cruises in late February or early March based on the weather. We've also managed to avoid the drunken loonies. Hopefully we will again next time around.

In the meantime...it sounds like the bulk of your cruise on Independence of the Seas (recently refurbished) was very nice.

Archived