Pan American Pier and Adventure of the Seas Questions

I'm sailing on my first RCI cruise (this coming Sunday :D ) and my first cruise out of San Juan, although I've been on countless other cruises that stopped in San Juan.

Since RCI seemingly originates from the Pan American Pier, is there anything to do there or walking distance from there, how early can/should I get there, when do they start checking in people and boarding etc.? I've read that it's more industrial, but I wasn't sure if there was anything close.

BTW my flight gets in at 11:30am and the ship departs at 8:30pm. Then when returning :(, my flight doesn't leave until 4:45pm.

As far as the Adventure of the Seas (which I only chose because of the great itinerary of out of the norm ports), does anyone have any tips or suggestions about the Southern itinerary (San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; St. John's, Antigua; Castries, St. Lucia; Bridgetown, Barbados; San Juan, Puerto Rico) or the ship in general?

I'm sailing on my first RCI cruise (this coming Sunday :D ) and my first cruise out of San Juan, although I've been on countless other cruises that stopped in San Juan.

Since RCI seemingly originates from the Pan American Pier, is there anything to do there or walking distance from there, how early can/should I get there, when do they start checking in people and boarding etc.? I've read that it's more industrial, but I wasn't sure if there was anything close.

BTW my flight gets in at 11:30am and the ship departs at 8:30pm. Then when returning :(, my flight doesn't leave until 4:45pm.

As far as the Adventure of the Seas (which I only chose because of the great itinerary of out of the norm ports), does anyone have any tips or suggestions about the Southern itinerary (San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; St. John's, Antigua; Castries, St. Lucia; Bridgetown, Barbados; San Juan, Puerto Rico) or the ship in general?

We arrive at the terminal about 11am and usually are on board by noon.

I don't recall much of anything within walking distance besides an airport for general aviation aircraft right behind the terminal

You can get a cab and go directly to the ship when you arrive. You should be able to board and enjoy the Windjammer.

There is little around the Pan American Pier.

Are you an airplane enthusiast? If so, there is a small airport next to the pier. We enjoy find a comfy place in the solarium and watching the planes land and take off

We arrive at the terminal about 11am and usually are on board by noon.

I don't recall much of anything within walking distance besides an airport for general aviation aircraft right behind the terminal

Thanks for the blazing quick response. So I can go directly to the terminal and board that early for an 8:30pm departure?:eek: If so, that would be amazing!

Thanks for the blazing quick response. So I can go directly to the terminal and board that early for an 8:30pm departure?:eek: If so, that would be amazing!

Yes, why not get on board ASAP? You paid for that day.

As others have advised, best bet is to go directly to the ship. Despite the late departure time, they will allow you to board by 11:30 or so. Only carry aboard what you are willing to carry until 1:00-2:00, when cabins will be ready for occupancy. They won't allow you to stash your carry-on bags in your cabin until then. Some people pull out the necessities into one small bag then check the rest so they don't have to carry bags with them to lunch. However, you may not get your checked luggage until 6:00-7:00 in the evening, so keep that in mind.

Regarding your late post-cruise departure:

You may want to book an excursion that includes transport to the airport. There are several offered by the cruise-line. That way you don't have to worry about your luggage.

Regarding your ports:

There are so many options on those islands. Without knowing you, it's hard to recommend. I would try to see as much of St. Lucia as you can, as it has a lot to offer. (The Pitons, volcano, rain forests, etc.) The Land & Sea excursion would be my preference. In Antigua, I did the Paddles kayak/snorkeling/Great Bird Island excursion (book privately) and LOVED it. I've read lots of other positive reviews as well.

Check out the port of call boards for ideas. That's where I get my best guidance!!

ENJOY!

We did this itinerary (in reverse) on our second cruise and totally wore ourselves out with all the ports, so my suggestion would be to pace yourselves, generally. If there is an island there that interests you less, take it easy on that day and don't do as much. We also booked, privately, the kayak/snorkel/Bird Island excursion and it was very active and one of the best we'd ever done. Adventure is a lovely ship with interesting artwork to look at in the stair landings, outside and in the dining rooms, and even down the corridors. Adventure has nice saunas/steam rooms, in the men's and women's fitness center locker rooms, great for relaxation after coming back from port or after a workout. Let me know if you have other, specific questions.

You can get a cab and go directly to the ship when you arrive. You should be able to board and enjoy the Windjammer.

There is little around the Pan American Pier.

Are you an airplane enthusiast? If so, there is a small airport next to the pier. We enjoy find a comfy place in the solarium and watching the planes land and take off

Thanks! The Windjammer?:confused:

Yes, why not get on board ASAP? You paid for that day.

Good point. I agree, but I didn't realize they allowed boarding so early for an 8:30pm departure. Either way, that's great news. Thanks again!

------------

Does anyone have any suggestions about the ship or itineraries?

Thanks! The Windjammer?:confused:

Not exactly what you are asking, but the Windjammer is the buffet, on deck 11, aft. The Solarium is also deck 11, but forward, and only a bar, no food.

Not exactly what you are asking, but the Windjammer is the buffet, on deck 11, aft. The Solarium is also deck 11, but forward, and only a bar, no food.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was another ship. :o

We did this itinerary (in reverse) on our second cruise and totally wore ourselves out with all the ports, so my suggestion would be to pace yourselves, generally. If there is an island there that interests you less, take it easy on that day and don't do as much. We also booked, privately, the kayak/snorkel/Bird Island excursion and it was very active and one of the best we'd ever done. Adventure is a lovely ship with interesting artwork to look at in the stair landings, outside and in the dining rooms, and even down the corridors. Adventure has nice saunas/steam rooms, in the men's and women's fitness center locker rooms, great for relaxation after coming back from port or after a workout. Let me know if you have other, specific questions.

VERY good advice!! I also wore myself out on my first port-intensive cruise. I ended up missing most of the night life on board. Now, I try to look at excursions in terms of the WEEK, rather than individually. As CntPAcruiser said, alternating relaxing days between your strenuous excursion days helps you to better enjoy your cruise as a whole.

On my last southern Caribbean cruise, we visited St. Croix after St. Thomas. (a typical order) We hiked on St. John in St. Thomas, so we lounged on the beach at Sandcastle Resort on St. Croix. (inexpensive, close to the ship, nice and relaxing.)

As others have advised, best bet is to go directly to the ship. Despite the late departure time, they will allow you to board by 11:30 or so. Only carry aboard what you are willing to carry until 1:00-2:00, when cabins will be ready for occupancy. They won't allow you to stash your carry-on bags in your cabin until then. Some people pull out the necessities into one small bag then check the rest so they don't have to carry bags with them to lunch. However, you may not get your checked luggage until 6:00-7:00 in the evening, so keep that in mind.

Regarding your late post-cruise departure:

You may want to book an excursion that includes transport to the airport. There are several offered by the cruise-line. That way you don't have to worry about your luggage.

Regarding your ports:

There are so many options on those islands. Without knowing you, it's hard to recommend. I would try to see as much of St. Lucia as you can, as it has a lot to offer. (The Pitons, volcano, rain forests, etc.) The Land & Sea excursion would be my preference. In Antigua, I did the Paddles kayak/snorkeling/Great Bird Island excursion (book privately) and LOVED it. I've read lots of other positive reviews as well.

Check out the port of call boards for ideas. That's where I get my best guidance!!

ENJOY!

Thank you!! That's a great idea about the departure day. I'll look into that. FYI I thought I'd be hanging in the airport with my luggage for 5 hours. ;)

Thanks! Needing a vacation after a cruise with so many ports was a concern, so I only booked two excursions (e.g., Tiami Sail, Turtles and Beach in Barbados and Stingray Swim & Snorkel in Antigua). The rest of the ports, I'll be heading to the closest beach to chill. :cool:

Thanks for the ship info.

By the time you get to the pier most likely they will already have started boarding, unless there was a delay in clearing out the previous cruise.

For port suggestions, check out the forums for the various ports you will be visiting.

Here are the links to them:

San Juan, PR

St. Croix

St. Maarten

Antigua

St. Lucia

Barbados

Have a great cruise!

This is such good information, thank you, because i will be arriving the day before and staying at a nearby hotel. The guest ticket booklet said the check-in time at the port was between 1:30-7:00PM but its good to know that i can board from earlier.

just because the ship leaves at 830 doesn't mean that you are able to late board. Your muster drill will be scheduled for 530 -6 pm which is mandatory to participate in regardless of whether you have sailed with RCCL previously. We just did a b2b the last two weeks of February. Loved every second. On our turnaround day we went into town and we were reminded to be back on the ship by 5pm as that was the all aboard time.

Enjoy the Adventure.

This was the easiest and quickest embarkation and debarkation we have ever had.

This past February we arrived at the terminal around 11am, were checked in and in first boarding group at 11:30am:D.

For post cruise, look up Go Puerto Rico Shuttle - they have good excursions to help pass the time and will make sure you arrive at the airport in time to make your flight (be warned, SJU is a slow airport because of USDA screening and island time;) - so better early than late!):). We used them for a rain forest tour after our trip (though this may be to long/late for your flight - worked for us because we were staying an extra night after).

Thank you!! That's a great idea about the departure day. I'll look into that. FYI I thought I'd be hanging in the airport with my luggage for 5 hours. ;)

Thanks! Needing a vacation after a cruise with so many ports was a concern, so I only booked two excursions (e.g., Tiami Sail, Turtles and Beach in Barbados and Stingray Swim & Snorkel in Antigua). The rest of the ports, I'll be heading to the closest beach to chill. :cool:

Thanks for the ship info.

We have done the Stingray excursion in Antigua and loved it!!! We got to hold one of them they took our picture...simply amazing :)

Have a great trip - we are doing this loop in April :D

~Anna

A few things to know:

1. The pier where new cruises start is the Pan American Pier. It is located in a rather odd location...you cannot (safely) walk out of the area nor would you have the time.

2. The San Juan airport tends to be a bit slower than its mainland brothers (island time and all...). If you have checked baggage, don't expect to leave until 12:30.

3. Rooms typically open at 1pm or so. That means after waiting for your bags, taking a taxi to the pier (remember, the Pan American Pier, checking into the boat, and embarking, you room will be open.

4. You have a lot of time before your flight leaves for home, but remember point 2. It also applies to San Juan departures. You can catch a tour of San Juan on your way out either through a cruiseline tour, an operator recommended on these boards, or the guides that work the pier (each should have an ID card around their necks from the Tourist Authority). There are plenty to choose from

5. It has been reported here (that is, I have not done it) you may also consider checking into the boat and then leaving. Just make sure you are back in time!

Last year we flew into SJU from SFO on the same day as our departure of the Serenade to Barcelona. Our flight left SFO 8:50 PM the evening before and we arrived SJU at 10:00 AM with a stopover in MIA. What we did was wait in the Admirals Club until 20 minutes before our shuttle would depart. We quickly got our bags from the AA bag office and went to the shuttle waiting area.

We were checked in by 11:15 and onboard by 11:30. It went like clockwork. We enjoyed lunch onboard, a chance to swim and the ship left around 10:00 PM.

We decided to go directly to the pier because we booked the transfer for $15 per person it worked well. It was nice to be able to relax onboard after our flight.

Go directly to the pier and board the ship. I have always been on the AOS by 11:30...as others have suggested...you will not be able to get in your room until 1pm so plan accordingly with carry on luggage and you might not get your other luggage until later in the day.....enjoy the first day on the ship...

There is nothing to do within walking distance of the pier...

Lots of wonderful things to do and see on this particuliar cruise....Barbados is my least favorite island...I would say stay on the ship and enjoy a day with no crowds....

Antigua and St. Lucia....are my two most favorite islands...we did the Swimming with Stingrays in Antigua...we really enjoyed that.....St. Lucia...we did a whale and dolphin watch one year and then toured the islands another time..........the rain forest is beautiful.....

St. Marteen....we have done the shopping...the beaches...lots to do and see....

St. Croix...the shopping was good and their is a beach within walking distance of where the boat docks.

Have fun......

We will be on the Adventure the week after your cruise! We also will get to San Juan at 11 am, so we're heading straight to the ship when we get in.

On the day of departure, we have a late afternoon flight too, so we are doing a tour of San Juan with airport drop off. We booked it through RCL. We have been to San Juan before, but might as well spend the day having fun rather than waiting at the airport.

Thanks for all the great tips and info, everyone!!! :) I greatly appreciate it.

It sounds like boarding the ship now is much quicker and smoother than I previously read. :cool: I just hope there aren't as many rude people and rude smokers like I also read.

BTW has anyone done the Tiami Sail, Turtles and Beach Excursion in Barbados?

Thanks again!!

Our embarkation March 3 was as smooth as everyone else is reporting. One small note: They kept the doors to the stateroom halls LOCKED until exactly 2 pm, which was when our papers said cabins might be available. We were told they'd been doing that regularly.

We all got our luggage very shortly after we got into our cabins. All in all, couldn't have been happier with the whole process.

I also recommend a post-cruise excursion through the ship. They take your luggage to the airport and someone stays with it until you arrive. It was really nice to not have to schlep our luggage around with us all day or even worse, sit in the airport for hours.

Find the helipad on the ship. If I remember correctly (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), go outside on deck 4 and walk all the way forward to a set of stairs and go up.

In St. Maarten, I highly recommend Bernard's tours. Just go on the St. Maarten forum page and you'll find more information. We had a blast and wouldn't hesitate to book with him again.

When you get on board, tell the Cafe Promenade staff that they better stock up on the cookie making materials because I'll be there 3 weeks from Sunday! :D

Archived