Independence of the Seas Norwegian Fjords 26th May

Sailing on the Independence in May to the fjords calling at Oslo, Kristiansand and Stavanger. There are only ten excursions on this cruise, do we need to book anything or can we do these places under our own steam?

Also I am assuming on such a short cruise there will only be one formal night.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Hiya

I am also doing this cruise, there is a few helpful posts on the roll call which may answer some of your questions.

Were planning on the viking ships and the sculpture park - both of which can be done without needing to book a specific excursion. We are also considering dereparke zoo, which is a short bus ride in kristiansand and no excursion necessary.

Still researching but have a look at the roll call x

Hi ,

we are on the cruise before you:).

In Oslo you can take the tram to the sculpture park. Very easy to do , tickets purchased in local currency from machines on the platform.

I did this on my own, it was a beautiful sunny day and the park was stunning, also it is free to go in the park.

http://www.vigeland.museum.no/en/vigeland-park

Stavanger is a nice town to wander around , you dock right in the centre , right next to the white clapper board houses which hug the hillside.

Hiya

I am also doing this cruise, there is a few helpful posts on the roll call which may answer some of your questions.

Were planning on the viking ships and the sculpture park - both of which can be done without needing to book a specific excursion. We are also considering dereparke zoo, which is a short bus ride in kristiansand and no excursion necessary.

Still researching but have a look at the roll call x

Hi !

Yes - the zoo in Kristiansand is a short bus ride away. The bus service is frequent - every 15 minutes and the ride takes 20-25 minutes. The bus numbers are 01 and M1. The current bus prices are 38 NOK per person each way - and currently the bus only accepts cash. The bus stop for the zoo is a 10 minute walk from the cruise harbour.

The website for the zoo is www.dyreparken.no - there is some information in English. When you arrive at the zoo please ask for the timings of the animal presentation. The Nordic Wildlife (Nordisk Villmark) is very popular with cruise passenges and the presentation there is well worth going to. It may be the only opportunity to see the shy wolves.

We have an information booth at the cruise harbour, please remember to stop by for free maps and information to make the most of your day in Kristiansand. Please also visit our website www.visitkrs.no for more inspiration. Visit Kristiansand and Cruise Sorlandet are also on Facebook.

Welcome to Kristiansand !

Kristiansand Tourist Information

• 1 month later...
I'm travelling for the first time as a single parent and knowing my kids they will spend most of their time in the kids clubs. Is anyone else going it alone?

Hi, I am travelling for the first time as a single parent too :)

Sailing on the Independence in May to the fjords calling at Oslo, Kristiansand and Stavanger. There are only ten excursions on this cruise, do we need to book anything or can we do these places under our own steam?

Also I am assuming on such a short cruise there will only be one formal night.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

There will be at least 2 formal nights :-)

Be very grateful if you and anyone from role call would come back and post your experience - we will be soon booking this for the same half term week next year.

I will be doing a live review while on the ship if that might help you :-)

I will be doing a live review while on the ship if that might help you :-)

Thanks will be super!

Posted on your thread. We are just waiting for our next cruise cert to get transferred to our travel agent ready to book this for next year.

I'm travelling for the first time as a single parent and knowing my kids they will spend most of their time in the kids clubs. Is anyone else going it alone?

Hi ...I'm a single mum and will be travelling with my 4 year old daughter on this cruise :)

this will be our first holiday abroad for just the 2 of us!

Im hoping that kids are allowed in the shows at night as don't want to miss them !

Hi ...I'm a single mum and will be travelling with my 4 year old daughter on this cruise :)

this will be our first holiday abroad for just the 2 of us!

Im hoping that kids are allowed in the shows at night as don't want to miss them !

Sure, children are allowed into shows at night. There might be a late night adult comedy show that you might want to avoid, but Royal is good about announcing how some events might not be appropriate for kids.

Another loan parent here too, although I'm not going it alone, Ive got my parents coming along too!

DD is almost 9, and DS is almost 7.

Sure, children are allowed into shows at night. There might be a late night adult comedy show that you might want to avoid, but Royal is good about announcing how some events might not be appropriate for kids.

That's great we're looking forward to them :)

I have noticed that we are sharing Stavanger with 2 other large cruise ships, there will be over 10,000 passengers in port that day which is probably why RCL are not offering the fjords cruise. The other ships must have grabbed the seats first. Anyone wanting to do the fjords needs to prebook privately as I can't imagine there will be many open spots available on the day.

Archived