Authorization to travel without a passport

smeyer418

There was a thread yesterday that said that some NCL officer said the reason why the Carnival Triumph went to the US is that it would have been a problem getting the non-passport holders back into the US.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37612047&posted=1#post37612047

This thread shows a copy of the letter authorizing people to travel without a passport for the people on the Carnival Dream. It was good for both scheduled and charter flights. They are reporting little problem.

They are issued from time to time for specific problems and while not exactly easy to get, they aren't impossible either.

Is it better to have a passport? of course but the roughly 25% or so of people who travel without passports on mass market cruises shouldn't exactly loss sleep over not having one.

reasonable people can disagree, ideologues won't listen because their minds are closed to others opinions...

I think if something catastrophic like the Triumph and Dream were to occur, it's more likely that they would find a way to waive passport requirements for trips home...as they did with the Dream. It's the personal events I'd worry about more...missing the ship, medical issue, etc. I heard the Triumph continued to the US not because of a passport issue, but because the prevailing currents were pushing her North and it was actually less of a fight with the tugs to get her up to Mobile.

I heard the same thing about the Triumph but the conspiracy theorist have been ramping up the conspiracy theory recently.

If you have a real medical emergency with the help of your congress person back home you stand a decent chance of getting such a letter- in a day or two. If you miss the ship probably not. What they consider an emergency and what you consider an emergency are two different things. I think it is actually helpful to have the name of the person who signed this letter so that your congress person knows who to call...

If you have a real medical emergency with the help of your congress person back home you stand a decent chance of getting such a letter- in a day or two. If you miss the ship probably not. What they consider an emergency and what you consider an emergency are two different things. I think it is actually helpful to have the name of the person who signed this letter so that your congress person knows who to call...

SeaMonster2 who has been on these boards for a while has been saying the same thing over and over but no one seems to listen. She has worked at either embassy or consulates in just that capacity to repatriate travellers who were without a passport trying to get home.

Forgive me, but wouldn't it just be easier to get a passport? If it were me, and I were in a difficult situation, the last thing I'd want to worry about is a passport. I realize it is costly, but at least it's good for 10 years - and in an emergency, it's one less thing to worry about.

Forgive me, but wouldn't it just be easier to get a passport? If it were me, and I were in a difficult situation, the last thing I'd want to worry about is a passport. I realize it is costly, but at least it's good for 10 years - and in an emergency, it's one less thing to worry about.

I'm with you, Sharon! I can just see me in Belize with a sick kid at home, trying to contact my congressman ( lots of luck on that ) and cooling my heels for couple days while they work through the red tape.

A passport is priceless!

I had a passport problem a few years ago. Contacted the local congress persons office. They called the passport office and it was resolved in less than 2 hours.

For children a passport is only good for 5 years.

The other problem would be if you missed your ship and wanted to fly to the next port to catch it - without a passport not gonna happen. No congressman is gonna help that!

If you have the $$ to cruise you have the $$ for a passport - why would you leave your country without one!

The other problem would be if you missed your ship and wanted to fly to the next port to catch it - without a passport not gonna happen. No congressman is gonna help that!

If you have the $$ to cruise you have the $$ for a passport - why would you leave your country without one!

I always make sure not to miss the ship, it really isn't that difficult. I do not need a passport for the types of travel that I am currently able to do and the risks associated with not having a passport don't justify purchasing something that I do not need. When my assessment of those risks change or I am using a mode of transportation that requires a passport then I will get one.

Because my country allows me to on a closed loop cruise. Who are you to tell people what they can or cannot do with their $$? It, quite frankly, is none of your business.

I always make sure not to miss the ship, it really isn't that difficult. I do not need a passport for the types of travel that I am currently able to do and the risks associated with not having a passport don't justify purchasing something that I do not need. When my assessment of those risks change or I am using a mode of transportation that requires a passport then I will get one.

That is some crystal ball you have!

Because my country allows me to on a closed loop cruise. Who are you to tell people what they can or cannot do with their $$? It, quite frankly, is none of your business.

I did not TELL anyone to do anything. I asked why someone would leave without one.

I am pretty sure no one PLANS to miss their ship...

There was a thread yesterday that said that some NCL officer said the reason why the Carnival Triumph went to the US is that it would have been a problem getting the non-passport holders back into the US.

That was hearsay and incorrect to boot... the primary reason the Triumph was towed to the US is because it was quickest after she had drifted north and taking into account the wind and current. Further, CCL made arrangements with the US authorities to make exceptions to the passport requirement for both the Triumph and Dream.

There are many threads on CC recently about how the Dream incident "proves" you need a passport because "anything can happen" when in fact the Triumph and Dream prove the opposite... that all the doom and gloom warnings about passports are overblown.

That was hearsay and incorrect to boot... the primary reason the Triumph was towed to the US is because it was quickest after she had drifted north and taking into account the wind and current. Further, CCL made arrangements with the US authorities to make exceptions to the passport requirement for both the Triumph and Dream.

There are many threads on CC recently about how the Dream incident "proves" you need a passport because "anything can happen" when in fact the Triumph and Dream prove the opposite... that all the doom and gloom warnings about passports are overblown.

I think arrangements to deal with situations like the Triumph & the Dream are done at a far different level than if you got drunk at Carlos & Charlies or your transportation from a private excursion broke down or you were injured and had to get medical help - and missed your ship.

Even if you were able to get something done in 1 or 2 days I"ll bet you won't be able to catch up with your ship - you will be going back to the US and miss the rest of your cruise.

If for some reason I missed my ship - you can bet I will be at the airport with my passport flying to the next port to re-join the cruise.

I love to travel, far and wide. I took my first trip by air/land to Great Britain. Needed a passport then, and I haven't been without one since. I even take it for domestic travel. It is your best form of Government ID.

Best advice yet! Always listen to Eleanor!

I think arrangements to deal with situations like the Triumph & the Dream are done at a far different level than if you got drunk at Carlos & Charlies or your transportation from a private excursion broke down or you were injured and had to get medical help - and missed your ship.

Even if you were able to get something done in 1 or 2 days I"ll bet you won't be able to catch up with your ship - you will be going back to the US and miss the rest of your cruise.

If for some reason I missed my ship - you can bet I will be at the airport with my passport flying to the next port to re-join the cruise.

Yes... the greater risk is not a shipwide incident like Triumph or Dream but something to do with your individual circumstances or a small group where passport exceptions will not be made. I've said as much in other threads.

A rational assessment of that risk will consider how often that is likely to happen (very very unlikely) and what the impact of that would be (lose the rest of the cruise and/or be delayed a few days) vs the cost of the passport and then make a decision. But very rarely do I see rational arguments on cruise critic in favor of getting a passport. It's almost always ideological arguments, pat answers, and judgemental comments directed at non-passport holders.

Yes... the greater risk is not a shipwide incident like Triumph or Dream but something to do with your individual circumstances or a small group where passport exceptions will not be made. I've said as much in other threads.

A rational assessment of that risk will consider how often that is likely to happen (very very unlikely) and what the impact of that would be (lose the rest of the cruise and/or be delayed a few days) vs the cost of the passport and then make a decision. But very rarely do I see rational arguments on cruise critic in favor of getting a passport. It's almost always ideological arguments, pat answers, and judgemental comments directed at non-passport holders.

Are you calling my arguments rational?;)

Isn't having a passport sort of like buying an insurance policy? People do their own cost/risk analysis. Those that believe the risk of a problem arising makes a passport worth the price, buy it. Those that think the risk is remote and doesn't justify the price, don't buy it. I don't get why it's such a hot-button topic. You either want one or you don't. Not everyone has collision insurance, disability insurance, life insurance...no one thinks they're all morons. If you are an adrenalin junkie you should probably buy disability insurance if you're self-employed. Likewise, if you travel abroad often, a passport is probably a wise investment. If you only go on one cruise every few years it doesn't seem stupid to me to not spend the money on a passport. The odds of being stranded are ridiculously low for such a traveler.

To each his own I say.

Isn't having a passport sort of like buying an insurance policy? People do their own cost/risk analysis. Those that believe the risk of a problem arising makes a passport worth the price, buy it. Those that think the risk is remote and doesn't justify the price, don't buy it. I don't get why it's such a hot-button topic. You either want one or you don't. Not everyone has collision insurance, disability insurance, life insurance...no one thinks they're all morons. If you are an adrenalin junkie you should probably buy disability insurance if you're self-employed. Likewise, if you travel abroad often, a passport is probably a wise investment. If you only go on one cruise every few years it doesn't seem stupid to me to not spend the money on a passport. The odds of being stranded are ridiculously low for such a traveler.

To each his own I say.

I get the sense that the people who are adamant about not spending the roughly $15 a year for a ten year passport probably are ineligible to be issued one for one reason or another. It's a no brainer to possess a passport if one likes to travel anywhere outside of the United States closed loop or not.

Don't know about that, but "you might get drunk at Carlos & Charlies" is creative. ;)

Happens more than people realize!:eek:

I get the sense that the people who are adamant about not spending the roughly $15 a year for a ten year passport probably are ineligible to be issued one for one reason or another. It's a no brainer to possess a passport if one likes to travel anywhere outside of the United States closed loop or not.

I think there is also a lot of people that have "it won't happen to me" syndrome. That will be their mantra - till it does.

My kid's 3 passports expired this year. We're getting them new ones. Like someone said..do your own risk/cost assessment and do what's best for you. I don't buy trip insurance, but I have a passport. Everyone's risk profile is different.

I think there is also a lot of people that have "it won't happen to me" syndrome. That will be their mantra - till it does.

I think there a lot of people who have "I made an emotional decision and I'm threatened by anyone who made a different decision" syndrome.

I think there a lot of people who have "I made an emotional decision and I'm threatened by anyone who made a different decision" syndrome.

HUH? What is emotional about getting a passport or not?

It is a PURELY logical choice - $$$$ vs risk

Archived