Chip and PIN cards

Ships R Great

Where can one find the new (to USA) Chip and PIN cards? Very few banks issue them. I found one list but it is very short. Seems like a good idea if they can be found.

We picked one up after our cruise in July where we found many places that we couldn't use any Credit Card. Search for the Andrews Federal Credit Union and the GlobeTrek Visa® Rewards Card.

If you are not in the Military or in their service area you can still join! Just follow the directions:)

We picked one up after our cruise in July where we found many places that we couldn't use any Credit Card.

Just curious where you were that you couldn't use your card? I've been to Europe many times and have never once had an issue using a chip-less card.

Mike

Just got back from 8 days in Italy. Never a problem using my M/C or AmEx for hotels, restaurants, and gas stations. Also, no problem using my ATM card without a chip, although I did have to enter a PIN into the machine to get my cash. :rolleyes:

In all my travels over the years, the only place I found where I needed a credit card with a chip & PIN was unattended gas stations in Italy and Switzerland. In Switzerland, the attendant told me that my AmEx without a chip/PIN would work in unattended gas stations, and it did.

Just curious where you were that you couldn't use your card? I've been to Europe many times and have never once had an issue using a chip-less card.

Mike

Toll roads (France) and train/metro ticket machines (Paris, Brussels...) as well as unattended gas stations. Also had trouble in a restuarant in the Auvergne region of France.

Yes, most times there is not an issue, but we almost didn't make our flight home out of CDG in '09 when we went to the St. Michel RER station early on a Sun. a.m., didn't have enough euro coins to put in the tix machine, and none of our good ol' USA issued cc's worked. Luckily the staffed ticket window opened but stupidly we'd spent down our euros. We were saved by a kind Parisien who gave us a couple of euros so we had enough to buy the tickets we thought we'd charge:o.

Toll roads (France) and train/metro ticket machines (Paris, Brussels...) as well as unattended gas stations. Also had trouble in a restuarant in the Auvergne region of France.

How strange. My M/C worked fine in toll roads in both France and Italy, and I also purchased a metro ticket in Barcelona to Montserrat and back.

I've read that the Andrews FCU supports both Chip with Signature or Pin. "Joe Geohan" comment has more info in this post

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/rapidtravelchai/2012/02/23/real-chip-and-pin-for-americans-from-andrews-federal-credit-union/

The Marriott Rewards Chip card is Chip and Signature, to the best of my knowledge.

As for unmanned gas stations - one tip is to pick up a few gas gift cards from a major gas station company. Large cities might have a manned cashier during regular hours but smaller outposts might not. I've used this tip in Iceland but it is also handy for Non-US credit cards that get rejected by US gas station pumps as they don't have a way to enter their zip code.

I think most of the cards mentioned here are chip and signature, including AMEX Platinum. It's challenging to find a US-issued chip and PIN card. A chip and signature will get you through most transactions; but a PIN card may be required at automated sellers like some train ticket machines or gas station pumps. We've run into issues in Europe before, and we're getting ready to take a TA across and then do a road trip, so I have been working on this....

Here's a pretty straightforward article on the difference between the two types of EMV cards.

There's a running list/discussion on the FlyerTalk forum that is useful--see the stickied list of US-issued EMV cards in post 1. Note the column that details whether the card is signature or chip.

Happy trails!

How strange. My M/C worked fine in toll roads in both France and Italy, and I also purchased a metro ticket in Barcelona to Montserrat and back.

Our ccs were Capitol One Visas, so maybe that's why. But at least for that French motorway, we had the 38 euros for the toll from near CDG to Clermont-Ferrand!

For that same European trip last year, combined with a cruise, I also left my ATM card at home- cash poor for paying our apt. rental, and private shore excursions:eek:- luckily BIL/SIL were traveling with us and kept the euros flowing.....

I think most of the cards mentioned here are chip and signature, including AMEX Platinum. It's challenging to find a US-issued chip and PIN card. A chip and signature will get you through most transactions; but a PIN card may be required at automated sellers like some train ticket machines or gas station pumps. We've run into issues in Europe before, and we're getting ready to take a TA across and then do a road trip, so I have been working on this....

Here's a pretty straightforward article on the difference between the two types of EMV cards.

There's a running list/discussion on the FlyerTalk forum that is useful--see the stickied list of US-issued EMV cards in post 1. Note the column that details whether the card is signature or chip.

Happy trails!

Thank you for this link. Pretty much everything you need to know about this chip-and-pin-vs-chip-and-signature is right there :)

Mike

We have had problems in England at stores in shopping centers and also in Canada now that they have gone to the chip and pin. Also like others have said gas stations in Italy and trains in England.

We didn't notice this problem until 2012 in Europe. All the lther times we could always count on being able to use the MC/Visa if we didn't have the cash in hand.

One of the stores in England told us that if they used our card the person who swiped it could be fired:eek:

The chip and pin is a more secure technology anyways and we are just behind the curve!

Dave

Archived