Sailaway on Jewel

Where is best to watch sail-away on the Jewel?

I also realized my sister-in-law choose the second dining time for us so we will be sailing away during dinner, and as I don't want to miss the sail-away (first time cruise) I'm guessing buffet is on the menu for dinner that night, not exactly what I wanted!

- And unfortunately I was silly and did not book a balcony so looking for deck options to watch the ports come and go.

I also realized my sister-in-law choose the second dining time for us so we will be sailing away during dinner, and as I don't want to miss the sail-away (first time cruise) I'm guessing buffet is on the menu for dinner that night, not exactly what I wanted!

- And unfortunately I was silly and did not book a balcony so looking for deck options to watch the ports come and go.

We will have a balcony room on the jewel, but we also like to go to the top decks for sail away. Much more exciting then just on your balcony. All the people, the umbrella drinks!!

• 1 month later...
Thank you!!

It's a bit confusing to find at first - or was for us. Access is actually from Deck 5. Our Muster station was Deck 5 all the way to the rear, and as soon as the drill was over (delayed because a few people decided not to show up...), we just walked straight forward, and up the steps to the Helipad.

It was a bit tricky fighting the traffic, especially where the Centrum elevators bulge out, our Muster station was the furthest aft, and we got some strange looks going the wrong way. Maybe next time I'd walk inside as far as possible (to the Theater, I think) instead of against the flow on the outside :)

It's a bit confusing to find at first - or was for us. Access is actually from Deck 5. Our Muster station was Deck 5 all the way to the rear, and as soon as the drill was over (delayed because a few people decided not to show up...), we just walked straight forward, and up the steps to the Helipad.

It was a bit tricky fighting the traffic, especially where the Centrum elevators bulge out, our Muster station was the furthest aft, and we got some strange looks going the wrong way. Maybe next time I'd walk inside as far as possible (to the Theater, I think) instead of against the flow on the outside :)

Thanks for the info!! I definitely do not want to miss sailaway :)

I'd vote for the helipad as well. Great views forward and to both sides, and behind you you can see the captain and pilot on the bridge guiding the ship out to sea.

I'd vote for the helipad as well. Great views forward and to both sides, and behind you you can see the captain and pilot on the bridge guiding the ship out to sea.

Here's a couple of pictures of the Helipad...and it's an unimpeded view forward, down, and both sides!

Tampa isn't the most interesting/pretty port to look at for most of the ride out, but still a great view.

942384_10200208800404142_870326198_n.jpg.a9134887b78091cabbe59c6e309f0abd.jpg

922791_10200208802964206_1566621243_n.jpg.4e0af96966438c62cde16cb83c441e51.jpg

321408_10200208796964056_891397564_n.jpg.3d976960d1a533a4f4d3a79e4137b98a.jpg

emmac,

You're going to get some spectacular views of Night Time SJ from the deck. It's very pretty. Lots of lights, warm, nice gentle breeze, umbrella drink...

I strongly recommend a higher deck bar. Perhaps the Pool Bar or Sky Bar?

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you everyone! We are sailing out of San Juan at 8.30pm...

Thanks for clarifying which port.

...and as I don't want to miss the sail-away (first time cruise) I'm guessing buffet is on the menu for dinner that night, not exactly what I wanted!..

Emma, the Windjammer buffet on Jewel is the finest at sea, the best we've ever experienced. Shamila and her team run a great restaurant there. You will not be disappointed eating dinner in the buffet, I assure you. We chose to eat there 15 out of 18 evenings on our B2B cruise a few months back. Fabulous!!

Sail away from San Juan is beautiful. Try not to miss it!! :):)

Archived