amalfi coast trip -how scary is the drive?

You are getting an opinion here from superchicken:o - it's wonderful! You will be so taken with the beauty that any thoughts of fear will be pushed right from your mind.

As I remember, there is a guard rail. We were in a bus last time, but will be in a van on a private tour for our next visit to the Amalfi Coast in September. There is often heavy traffic resulting in slower speeds. If you are in a bus from the port of Naples, be sure to sit on the right hand side (not behind the driver) for the best views.

You'll love it - it's magnificent!

Julie

First of all it is a very windy road from Positano onwards.

We went on the public bus from Amalfi to Positano when we were staying there about 3 years ago. We had gone by ferry to Amalfi earlier in the day. On the way back to Positano, we were on the outside of the road. We came to one of the bends and a big tourist bus was coming towards us. There was not enough room for both buses to pass so we had to back back at least 100 yards and I am sure that some of the time, only 3 of our wheels were on the road. :eek:

It was scary but we lived through it as I kept thinking that the driver of our bus has probably had to do this many times in his driving career!!

I don't remember many rails on the outside of the road. Remember you are driving in Italy, not the U.S. or Australia and road safety doesn't seem as important over there.

Jennie

yes, i would like to know the scariness too!! i am not much for scary drives and would like to know before i do this.....i have also thought of the pompeii, sorrento, capri tour.....so, i would not be at any loss if i do find this beyond what i can handle.....wimp here!!!

If you are concerned about the roads along the Amalfi coast consider a car or van tour. We were lucky to have traveled there on our Milli in the Med cruise last month. I never even thought about it and I was in the back of a 7 seater van. The day was so full of the beauty of the sea and shore that I did not even notice the road. There were trucks and busses on these two lane roads and we marveled at their ability to negotiate the turns. What may baffle you more than the roads are the way the cars park!

It is one of the most beautiful roads in the world and I am glad that we have done the whole section from Sorrento to Positano and then later on Amalfi back to Positano.

If you have a beautiful day with the sun glistening on the water, you will think yourself so lucky to have been able to experience this lovely part of the world.

Jennie

We took the public bus from Sorento to Positano. We were the first onboard and chose to sit up front and on the right side so I could look out the window to the cliffs below. I was amazed at the driver's ability to maneuver around the turns. I thought the ride was very exciting, like a roller coaster ride where you are screaming, but really enjoyed the experience. (Assuming you like roller coasters. I do). I would recommend the trip. Positano is such a quaint town to explore I'm sure you will enjoy yourself.

Happy cruising,

Joanne, the chocoholic

Its an absolutely breathtaking experience. We rented a car last summer for our honeymoon and by the end of our stay, my husband was driving with the best of the Italians. If you are driving in a bus or taxi, don't worry. The Italians know how to maneuver the roads. You will be so taken with what is ahead that you won't worry about what turns you are taking. There are some areas to pull over to take pictures as well. Its fantastic. We stayed at the Villa Franca in Positano but Ravello was my favorite area on the Amalfi Coast. SO peaceful and beautiful!!! Enjoy your trip!!!

Had to smile at the comment about Italy not being the US or Australia (ie guard rails on the roads).

A few years ago we rented an RV in the USA and drove around California, Nevada and Arizona. The trip over the Tioga Pass was the most frightening thing I have ever experienced in my life - a thousand foot drop over the edge and NO GUARD RAILS!! :eek: I was on that side too (my husband was doing the driving). I now have an absolute terror of any roads that go over mountains.:(

So much for road safety in the US!!

I very rarely get motion sickness, and I was sitting on the back of the bus while twisting along the coast, and I felt very nauseous.

It was a beautiful experience though, and I would definitely do it again and reccommend it. I would also suggest, though, sitting towards the front where you usually feel the twists less.

I thought the drive was cool although some in my group were a bit apprehensive. I was glad to be in a 14 passenger tour van vs. a large bus. We were able to drive in the opposite direction of the busses, guide said that large busses are only allowed to drive one direction on the road. Makes sense since there were a few curves that big busses in opposing directions would create big problems. As it was there were several curves where we had to stop or back up to make room for a big bus coming the other way. It is absolutely amazing how close the vehicles come without scraping!

If your prone to motion sickness it might be worth taking some Dramamine or something just to be safe.

Hey Vicki - welcome home! We took a private tour and the coast was breathtaking. If you are afraid of heights, pick the "left or port" side of the van. That way you are closer to the inside of the road instead of the cliff side. The roads are winding but the drivers all know how to navigate them well. There are times when you have to back up to let others through coming the other way and there are switchbacks but the coastline and the towns along the way are well worth the trip. Laurey

Laurey, on our tour you needed to be seated on the starboard side to be on the inside of the road as we were headed from Ravello toward Sorrento rather than in the opposite direction.

The road was very twisty and winding but we weren't going very fast because of the turns and the busses coming in the opposite direction. I might have been nervous on a bus looking down the cliffs, but being in a van caused no problems for me and I get motion sickness fairly easily.

Just drove the whole length of the Amalfi Drive in two segments a couple of weeks ago. Drove from Amalfi to to Praiano in mid-day traffic and from Praiano to Sorrento early AM a few days later. Thoughts...

Yes, the road is incredibly winding with literally hundreds and hundreds of very tight turns in less than 75 kilometers, a large percentage of which are totally blind (although the worst turns have mirrors to see what is coming). For most of the day, traffic is very heavy in the summer months. Contrary to what the guide above said, tour buses--HUGE tour buses--do go both ways on the drive. When they meet on a tight corner, lots of backing up takes place. This can add a lot to travel time. Most of the road is protected from the cliff...not by guardrails but by stone walls, maybe 18-24 inches high.

Was it scary? Yep. Would we do it again? In a heartbeat, but only to get to or from the Amalfi Coast. Really, though, to appreciate the views and the scenery, the local buses (SITA to/from Amalfi/Ravello/Positano/Sorrento or the Orange Bus (Praiano to Positano) should be experienced.

Ed and Cathy

We've done the Amalfi drive twice - once in a large tour bus and this past May in a small 6 pax van. The bus was okay - but a little frightening.

By far the small van was the best way to go. Our driver's home was in Amalfi and we were very comfortable with his driving. I agree with the poster who mentioned it wasn't the drive/cliffs - it's the way the cars park - just anywhere they darn well please!

The highlight of our drive was when our driver decided we needed to get back to Pompeii before the rains came - and somewhere around Amalfi Town he took a "back road" back to Naples! Now that WAS a frightening trip.

Do NOT hesitate to take the Amalfi Drive - it is just spectacular. However, if you opt not to do that - and instead go to Capri - be sure to take one of the smaller busses up the mountain to the top of the island - the views are spectacular (almost - but not quite as spectacular as Amalfi:) ).

Hi! I don't like high scary roads but the Amalphi drive didnt' bother me at all and I have done the drive three times twice in a car and once in a tour bus. It is just gorgeous!!!

You might want to take Bonine and do sit in the front of the bus.

• 2 weeks later...

The drive around Madeira was amazing and we CAN'T WAIT to drive Amalfi!

..but a question...

Having a hard time finding a convertible to rent in Naples...any recommendations? Also, is it the Margellina Port at which the ships dock?

Any info would be most appreciated.:cool:

I understand that the city of Positano is quite hilly and that cars are not allowed into the city. We have a private tour of the Amalfi coast, with a scheduled stop (and perhaps lunch) in Positano. My husband walks with a cane, so he is not fast and generally does not walk more than a few blocks without a stop for rest. We're trying to decide whether or not to make alternative plans. How difficult and how far is it to get down into town? Is there ANY public transportaition (shuttle?) that can take a less able-bodied person into town? TIA, Kathy

quoted: I don't remember many rails on the outside of the road. Remember you are driving in Italy, not the U.S. or Australia and road safety doesn't seem as important over there.

Have to tell you, we spent 3 weeks in australia and yes I drove and so did DH. I did most of the driving.

Just for your info there are lots of cliff roads with no guard rails. I can drive in australia, through mountains, deep bends and cliff roads where you cannot see the driver on the other side then i feel I can drive anywhere! LOL

Don't worry about the roads when you have a driver. they do these roads every day and it is their lively hood! Not like us who become the "foriegners" in their country.

Enjoy, we are 9 days from leaving for barcelona/splendour of the seas!

We were on SOS June 18-25, and did the private tour of Pompeii/Amalfi coast with Robert from Driveamalfi.com....it was one of the highlights of our trip. I am the worst when it comes to winding roads, and let me tell you, it was nothing compared to our trip up the mountain at Yosemite last year! (There are NO guardrails in many of the areas there, and it is straight up...) The roads to Amalfi were curvy, but there were stone walls and very secure looking guardrails the entire way, and Robert was the most careful driver I have ever ridden with...Both myself and my 9 year old get motion sick very easily, and we did not have any problems. Also, it probably helped having a private driver, as he did stop fairly frequently so we could get out and walk a bit and get a bit of fresh air. Robert knew my trepidation, and took special care to ask how I was doing frequently, also did I need to move to the front seat, was the temperature cool enough,etc. (There was never a time when I felt even the least bit uncomfortable. We did compare notes with friends who took the ship's bus tour, however, and they did have problems with motion sickness, as well as the fact that the buses' air-conditioning was set at about 82 degrees, and I think they agreed it was much warmer than we are used to for AC.)

Starbright.

I can't recall Tiago Pass being "scary" when we went that way in our rented RV but then again Big Sur was more of a worry for me as the driver, because I believe the vehicle we were using was nothing more than an ex butchers van. We rented from Go Holidays on recommendation from Qantas & I recall it had well over 100,000 miles on the clock; the steering must have been worn out so it was a real wanderer. I missed out on a lot of the scenery because I had to concentrate on driving.

Re the Amalfi coast: Doesn't sound like it has changed much since we drove it in the mid 70's although no doubt the traffic is heavier. Definitely well worth the visit & no more scarier than the mountain roads of Switzerland.

Are the drivers in Italy as mad as ever? The Spaniards were the ones that worried me the most......always over the double lines on a blind corner & in Citroen deux cheveaus leaning at crazy angles. Ahhhh.....memories.

Archived