Using FaceTime on a cruise ship?

Ladypop

I know that using mobile phones on a cruise ship can be VERY expensive, I was wondering if that is true for the FaceTime option on an iPhone or an iPod ? I was thinking of using it as a keep in touch method for my sons while on the ship, as we don't want to do the walkie talkie thing. Is it possible to use FaceTime on a ship? TIA.

You're still having to use something to connect, so you'll either have to connect via wifi or the ship's cell system. When I used my iPad to keep in touch with my sister on the ship, I had to sign on to my ship's wifi.

I assume you are keeping in touch with others who are on the ship, not the folks at home? You would have to have two or more internet accounts and have to be on all the time for the other person to receive in a timely fashion. Two or more people cannot be logged onto the same account at the same time. thus, it would become VERY expensive. EM

It will be expensive as you have to connect to the ship's internet service...and since it is a satellite connection, will be MUCH slower than on land. And these types of aps are bandwidth hogs, which slows down the onboard internet service for everyone else (and that is already slow to begin with.)

Go old school - voice messages left on the cabin's phone, post it notes, dry erase boards or actually setting times where the kids will meet up with you to check in.

won't work.. facetime can be( and probably will be) disabled altogether on the ship's internet due to bandwidth issues.

and like was said, everybody will need their own package

just set up rules for where they can be, when they must check in and how.

As others have suggested post-its in the cabin, voice mails, and pre-determined meet up times will be your only free options. If you really feel the need to have some instant form of communication, texts tend to be cheaper than calling or Internet. For my phonce I believe it's 50 cents to send one and 5 cents to receive. This will still add up if you do it all the time, but it would be an affordable option to contact each other a couple of times a day. Just realize that cell phone reception will vary a LOT from one part of the ship to another, so your messages may not always go through right away.

While using texting will usually work, it will require that each boy's cell phone be turned on all day. Not knowing your sons, I don't know if they are likely to start texting their friends back home. That could become expensive in a hurry

I know that using mobile phones on a cruise ship can be VERY expensive, I was wondering if that is true for the FaceTime option on an iPhone or an iPod ? I was thinking of using it as a keep in touch method for my sons while on the ship, as we don't want to do the walkie talkie thing. Is it possible to use FaceTime on a ship? TIA.

Yeah, unless you want to spend a TON of money, it isn't an option. FaceTime needs to have a WiFi connection. All devices will have to have their own WiFi account for this.

On top of that, the device would have to stay connected any time you aren't together. Don't know what cruise you are on, but NCL is $100 for 250 mins of internet. You would need at least 2 packages. That would be $200 and it would only cover a little over 4 hours when you are apart. Since you say sons, I would think you might need 3 then just in case they won't be together!

I rarely see my oldest on cruises anymore. I bring a pad and pen so write notes to everyone. There are also the phones on the ships kids can call the room and leave a message when they are changing where they will be. Even if you think your 2 (or more!) boys will be out of your sight for an hour a day on a 7 day cruise, you are looking at $600+ in internet fees to use FaceTime to communicate.

We used face time to talk with our kids back home in the UK when on Crown Princess in the Med. We did have loads of free minutes ( one of the benefits of Platinum on Princess) so it didn't cost us anything and was a great way to keep in touch. Internet was very good on the ship and I was able to use my I- pad anywhere n the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Go put up the Phones, laptops, iPhones, iPads. Get yourself a couple of sets of FRS Walkie Talkies, as in two sets of two for a total of 4. Get the same brand and use rechargeable batteries in them. Use a higher channel number and higher tone channel to use, the default is usually a 6 or 7 for the channel number. They will work fine in most areas of the ship. You can get them at lots of places from Best Buy on down for really cheap and on the web. No airtime charge for these radio's. They do not work more than 2000-4000 feet, forget the statement about Miles. Remember that others can hear what you say on them regardless of which code you use.

Face time was wifi, till carriers got updated in software, it may not be data, it may be cellphone usage.

Cellphone call - ship carrier

data usage - ships carrier

wifi - ships carrier

face time yep ships carrier, not free so plan on paying

Add up texting, keep it to a minima; and it be cheaper than a walkie talkie. 50 out /30 in cents Each phone.

remember you pay for EACH cell. the other end g ets charged to

Archived