Putting someone else's kid in my cabin on paper.

My family (of 3) booked a cruise on NCL.

I'll try to make this long story short.

Okay, now...I casually told a good friend that I was booking the trip. Questions followed. The kids sail free promotion came up. I told her I was taking advantage of the deal. My DS is 10. She has three between the ages of three and twelve.

She made her necessary phone calls and then explained to me that her room has max occupancy 4 and I only have 3 in my cabin. The idea was to add her 3rd child to my room so that this child could sail free and she would just keep this child in her state room. So yeah...

Can I get into trouble for doing that? I don't want anyone else in our cabin for a week except the three in my family. I get what she's saying about the additional expense of booking two adjoining rooms because then only 1 kid would sail free...but I want to make sure I'm not breaking some law or something...

Her cabin has a maximum occupancy of 4. Just exactly where does she expect this 5th occupant to sleep?

NO WAY would I agree to do this for her, but that's just me. I would think very long and hard about it before I agreed to do something like that.

Her cabin has a maximum occupancy of 4. Just exactly where does she expect this 5th occupant to sleep?

NO WAY would I agree to do this for her, but that's just me. I would think very long and hard about it before I agreed to do something like that.

The fifth person is 3 so I don't know....:(

But the kid CANNOT stay in my room no matter what happens.

Putting a fifth person in a cabin intended for four is dangerous and illegal because it violates the fire code. Under no circumstances would I participate in this.

Additionally, there are only enough lifeboats in each section of the ship for a certain number of people, and no more are allowed to book into that section once the quota has been reached. If your cabin is in a different section than your friend's cabin, it would mean one section would be one lifeboat seat short.

Also, you would be checking in with a child you are not the parent of. They would expect some paperwork regarding this, letters from parents, etc. It seems like it would be way more complicated than it is worth for you.

Also, you would be checking in with a child you are not the parent of. They would expect some paperwork regarding this, letters from parents, etc. It seems like it would be way more complicated than it is worth for you.

The parents will be with us when we check in. It doesn't seem like such a good idea though. :(

My family (of 3) booked a cruise on NCL.

I'll try to make this long story short.

Okay, now...I casually told a good friend that I was booking the trip. Questions followed. The kids sail free promotion came up. I told her I was taking advantage of the deal. My DS is 10. She has three between the ages of three and twelve.

She made her necessary phone calls and then explained to me that her room has max occupancy 4 and I only have 3 in my cabin. The idea was to add her 3rd child to my room so that this child could sail free and she would just keep this child in her state room. So yeah...

Can I get into trouble for doing that? I don't want anyone else in our cabin for a week except the three in my family. I get what she's saying about the additional expense of booking two adjoining rooms because then only 1 kid would sail free...but I want to make sure I'm not breaking some law or something...

Don't do it. The kid will be stuck sleeping in your cabin for a week!!

That's not true. It ends tonight at midnight.

It's not on the website anymore and the fine print said book before march 23. I checked before I posted. The only kids sail free promo is Alaska and Europe

Seems way too much of a hassle to be going through on your vacation. Freestyle is about no worries, and this seems to be a huge worry for you. :( On another note, if any of the children get wind of what's going on, and they may with all the questions that will likely be asked in front of them, it is not exactly a good example. Do yourself a favor and think twice about getting involved in this situation. I am all for helping out friends, but I think this would be crossing the line.

I know you want to help your a friend, but I don't think it is the smartest thing. One, if caught...well, I don't know what would happen.

If the cabin steward sees that there are five, instead of four, in the room, they could report them and then you will be involved for checking in their child as yours. Unless you are in the same immediate area, their cabin steward will be cheated out of tips for the 5th person, while your cabin steward will be rewarded for your deception.

I wouldn't do it, but then again, I usually follow the rules.

My family of 3 have done this with my sis, bil, and nephews at Disney and on a cruise due to the difficulties of sis finding 5 in a room affordable accomidations. But, we actually have at least one nephew in our cabin/room nightly, and we are close. The only exception is date night. Each couple picks one night to to be alone and the kids split sleeping with the other couple and grandparents.

Legalities and moralities aside, if you do this chances are you will have an extra child in your cabin when your kiddo decides they want to do a sleepover or when your friend quickly realizes how tight 5 in a cabin really is! :eek:

Don't forget that you are financially responsible for everyone booked into your cabin. That child's keycard will open your door, and will also be attached to your account (although you should be able to have charging priviledges restricted). You will also be responsible for paying that child's DSC. Unforseen medical expenses that the child might incur would be charged to the child's cabin (IOW...you).

There is also another possibility (however minor) that you should consider. Say that a situation arises that forces you to return home in the middle of the cruise. What happens to this child then? NCL would expect the child to leave with you. The child could not stay behind with his/her parents as their cabin would not have the room. That would be a HUGE problem for all of you.

Yet another issue to consider: I don't know if this would be a problem, however, if I were in your shoes this is something I would certainly check out ahead of time. Normally, a parent cannot go ashore and leave their minor children on the ship. As this child would be assigned to you, there might be an issue if you try to go ashore without the child.

I doubt you would be breaking any laws, though. However, a possibility exists that the ship may INSIST on that child staying in your cabin. If push comes to shove, are you going to be OK with that?

It's not on the website anymore and the fine print said book before march 23. I checked before I posted. The only kids sail free promo is Alaska and Europe

You are looking at the advertisements. If you go price a cruise today it will still give you the discounted rate when you go to book it. The promotion is thru midnight. I've already talked to consultant at least 3 times today so I know what I'm talking about.

You're in a rough spot but one of the posters above seem to have given you an out. Just tell your friend that it won't work. Explain that your cabin steward will expect to see all four of your beds slept in and when they aren't it's going to send up a red flag.

And where would the 5th person sleep in her cabin anyway?

I know you want to help your a friend, but I don't think it is the smartest thing. One, if caught...well, I don't know what would happen.

If the cabin steward sees that there are five, instead of four, in the room, they could report them and then you will be involved for checking in their child as yours. Unless you are in the same immediate area, their cabin steward will be cheated out of tips for the 5th person, while your cabin steward will be rewarded for your deception.

I wouldn't do it, then again, I usually follow the rules.

I generally follow the rules as well which is why I've been having such a crisis of conscience with the situation. The room that she has on hold is in the same section two cabins down from ours so some of the issues brought up are not applicable

Don't forget that you are financially responsible for everyone booked into your cabin. That child's keycard will open your door, and will also be attached to your account (although you should be able to have charging priviledges restricted). You will also be responsible for paying that child's DSC. Unforseen medical expenses that the child might incur would be charged to the child's cabin (IOW...you).

There is also another possibility (however minor) that you should consider. Say that a situation arises that forces you to return home in the middle of the cruise. What happens to this child then? NCL would expect the child to leave with you. The child could not stay behind with his/her parents as their cabin would not have the room. That would be a HUGE problem for all of you.

Yet another issue to consider: I don't know if this would be a problem, however, if I were in your shoes this is something I would certainly check out ahead of time. Normally, a parent cannot go ashore and leave their minor children on the ship. As this child would be assigned to you, there might be an issue if you try to go ashore without the child.

I doubt you would be breaking any laws, though. However, a possibility exists that the ship may INSIST on that child staying in your cabin. If push comes to shove, are you going to be OK with that?

Oh no!

No, no, no! At worst your dear friend's family could be denied boarding at checkin because they failed to book enough accommodation for their family. They would forefit their entire fare. At best you will have their kid in your cabin the entire time.

Cabin stewards, like hotel maids, can tell how many people have slept in a bed.

The fact that you are asking about this suggests that the arrangement does not feel right to you. But your friend is putting pressure on you so that she can book a cheap trip at the expense of your family's comfort.

She has put you into a lose-lose situation. Accommodate her and your privacy is compromised. Don't accommodate her and your friendship is compromised.

Putting a fifth person in a cabin intended for four is dangerous and illegal because it violates the fire code. Under no circumstances would I participate in this.

Additionally, there are only enough lifeboats in each section of the ship for a certain number of people, and no more are allowed to book into that section once the quota has been reached. If your cabin is in a different section than your friend's cabin, it would mean one section would be one lifeboat seat short.

I think this attitude is a bit over the top and a tad condescending. In reality, there would be a lot of people in the "wrong" area anyway in the case of a rapid emergency.

I think it would work. However, knowing that there is a chance that a fourth would sleep in your cabin as their room would be pretty cramped and the fun would cease pretty quickly in my mind.

I would not do it as it would probably cramp my style putting a bit more stress into my vacation. I cruise to have a zero stress vacation.

When you go to the kids club to register all the children traveling with you you need to make sure the child is registered under your cabin number and that child's parents are put on the form that they are able to check the child in and out of the kids club as well as your name since the child is on your reservation. All the names of the people allowed to check kids in and out need to be listed. If you put the parents cabin number on the form and the child gets sick or hurt while in the kids club there's the red flag that gets raised that the child isn't really staying in your cabin and isn't your child.

There's a lot to think about doing this on a cruise ship. Sneaking a child into a hotel on land is easier than on a floating hotel with no where to go out in the middle if the ocean. Personally I would do this ONLY with my own nieces or nephew but with the thinking that I might be having an extra guest sleeping in my room on the trip.

I think this attitude is a bit over the top and a tad condescending. In reality, there would be a lot of people in the "wrong" area anyway in the case of a rapid emergency.

I think it would work. However, knowing that there is a chance that a fourth would sleep in your cabin as their room would be pretty cramped and the fun would cease pretty quickly in my mind.

I would not do it as it would probably cramp my style putting a bit more stress into my vacation. I cruise to have a zero stress vacation.

In the event of an emergency, everyone would report to their assigned muster stations, regardless of where they were when the announcement was made. Not sure how adhering to safety regulations is over-the-top or condescending.

I generally follow the rules as well which is why I've been having such a crisis of conscience with the situation. The room that she has on hold is in the same section two cabins down from ours so some of the issues brought up are not applicable

If you "generally" follow the rules, then why not just be honest and say, that you are sorry, but it is against the rules and you don't want to jeopardize your cruise. And just because you are only a couple doors down, doesn't mean you have the same cabin steward.

Archived