Alchol

Royal Caribbean does not trust you enough with your own bottle of liquor.

You might become too intoxicated then do something foolish.

Therefore they will monitor your drinking for you, keeping you safe from yourself...

Carnival offers this service and I sure wish RCI would. I love the ability to make a drink in my cabin to have on the balcony!

You can purchase shots of whatever you want at any bar, pour them into a water glass and take them to your cabin to mix at your convenience. Room service will also deliver whatever you want but it must be by the individual drink.

I think it is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that passengers are not ALLOWED to bring a bottle of wine that this cruise line charges an astronimcal amount of money for back to your room. I am a responsible adult and should be treated as such. Seriously considering canceling our trip and choosing another line. Way too many nickel and dime items. And it has nothing to do with our safety - it has to do with making more money - nickel and diming!!!!!

I think it is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that passengers are not ALLOWED to bring a bottle of wine that this cruise line charges an astronimcal amount of money for back to your room. I am a responsible adult and should be treated as such. Seriously considering canceling our trip and choosing another line. Way too many nickel and dime items. And it has nothing to do with our safety - it has to do with making more money - nickel and diming!!!!!

You can bring a bottle of wine to your room. :cool:

Enjoy Carnival, but...

Don't forget to pack your poop bags!

I know - we were told we can bring two bottles of wine on board with us but it's an eleven day cruise and although we are by no means heavy drinkers this IS vacation and really would like to be able to relax on the balcony with a nice glass of wine before/after dinner - but thank you for the encouragement. And I'm sorry to say we spoke with an RCI rep yesterday who confirmed that you cannot bring a bottle of wine back to your room even if purchased on the ship. It gets mighty expensive purchasing two glasses of wine each night for a little romantic atmosphesre on the balcony with that beautiful water below. :confused:

I know - we were told we can bring two bottles of wine on board with us but it's an eleven day cruise and although we are by no means heavy drinkers this IS vacation and really would like to be able to relax on the balcony with a nice glass of wine before/after dinner - but thank you for the encouragement. And I'm sorry to say we spoke with an RCI rep yesterday who confirmed that you cannot bring a bottle of wine back to your room even if purchased on the ship. It gets mighty expensive purchasing two glasses of wine each night for a little romantic atmosphesre on the balcony with that beautiful water below. :confused:

Well, when you're on the ship, I'd ask your waiter, wherever you happen to be dining. I think they may let you order a bottle to take back to the room with you. I wouldn't put 100% stock in what an RCI Rep told you. :)

You can bring a bottle of wine to your room. :cool:

I apologize - according to the RCI website you may have a bottle of wine delivered to your room but I think that is only a one time deal for embarkation - but you were still right.:o Thank you!

I apologize - according to the RCI website you may have a bottle of wine delivered to your room but I think that is only a one time deal for embarkation - but you were still right.:o Thank you!

We were just on a ruise in February, had the wine package and no problem bringing the wine back to the room. It's your bottle of wine - once it's opened you can take it and go where ever you want (well maybe not in the pool:rolleyes:). We had a bottle at supper and took the unfinished part back to the cabin. You can go up to the Windjammer bar and ask for a bottle from your package. Easy peasy.:D

Thanks everyone - sounds like we might be able to have that glass of wine on the balcony after all. I really appreciate all the positive feedback from all of you! This is our first time on RCI and therefore need all the advice from you in the know. We will be on the Explorer - can anyone tell me anything about the shows on board?

Thanks again - much appreciated!

That wasn't too much of an exaggeration. That $8 bottle of wine probably really costs you $30 onboard, before the 15% gratuity, which will bring your total cost close to $35. :cool:

Still stretching it. Generally the markup is between 85-115% of retail. This is the same standard you find in most restaurants. If you really found a bottle for $40 (or even $30), that you can get for $8, that is an egregious exception and not the rule. There are always good deals and bad deals, but you seem to be cherrypicking for illustrative purposes.

Still stretching it. Generally the markup is between 85-115% of retail. This is the same standard you find in most restaurants. If you really found a bottle for $40 (or even $30), that you can get for $8, that is an egregious exception and not the rule. There are always good deals and bad deals, but you seem to be cherrypicking for illustrative purposes.

Unless prices have gone down since I cruised a couple years ago, the cheapest bottles of wine you could get from the wine list were around $27-28 each. Your % mark-up is not an accurate model, as it is a higher percentage on lower-prices bottles. There is, in effect, a corkage fee plus a mark-up involved. So, while an $8 retail bottle may cost $30 (275% markup), a $20 bottle may only be $45 (125% markup). These are just illustrations, btw, and not exact figures, but I do know that this general principle holds true in the way their wine is priced. If you were correct in saying that the markup is 85-115%, then an $8 bottle would be priced around $15 - 17, but I know they don't have any bottles that low (and they definitely carry wines that are in that sub-$10 retail range.

But, I'll stop discussing it now, as I'm continuing to divert a thread about liquor with discussions of wine. :o

Unless prices have gone down since I cruised a couple years ago, the cheapest bottles of wine you could get from the wine list were around $27-28 each. Your % mark-up is not an accurate model, as it is a higher percentage on lower-prices bottles. There is, in effect, a corkage fee plus a mark-up involved. So, while an $8 retail bottle may cost $30 (275% markup), a $20 bottle may only be $45 (125% markup). These are just illustrations, btw, and not exact figures, but I do know that this general principle holds true in the way their wine is priced. If you were correct in saying that the markup is 85-115%, then an $8 bottle would be priced around $15 - 17, but I know they don't have any bottles that low (and they definitely carry wines that are in that sub-$10 retail range.

But, I'll stop discussing it now, as I'm continuing to divert a thread about liquor with discussions of wine. :o

:mad:

:D

Archived