Drink package

marky63

we are considering the drink package. We drink a good bit on vacation, before dinner and wine with dinner and more on sea days. the packages seems like we'd save money. Anyone have any problems with it.

From the posts, I think the only people who have trouble with it are those who don't drink enough to justify the cost. For me, it's not worth it. For others, they love it.

The one thing is that if you want to use it to buy a particular wine with dinner, you can't. They only wines available by the glass. However, I am told it is a good and varied selection.

Mura

I believe that what Mura is trying to say is that one cannot order bottles of wine. Well, you can, and we have, it just won't be included under the package.

The Packages include wines by the glass during meals, and one may choose any wine that Oceania serves by the glass (there are something like thirty wines on that list, and they run the gamut from light whites to Port, and even a Champagne).

We found that this system worked very well for us, particularly when the meal took us from a white to a red to a port.....but enough about lunch ;)

Yes, that's what I meant! I decided not to do a package once I realized that I couldn't continue to buy my dinner bottle of wine. DH drinks almost nothing so we don't go into the bars for cocktails as a rule, and mostly I will buy a bottle of wine and nurse it through 2-3 dinners. The package didn't appeal to me if I couldn't do that. (I could still do it, of course, but I'd have to pay for it which defeats the purpose of the package.)

I certainly did not mean to say that you absolutely couldn't, under any circumstances, buy a bottle of wine if you have the package!

Mura

In the past, when sailing on a cruise which is comprised of several segments, I get a credit card charge at the end of each segment for and of that segment. The next segment thus getting a separate bill rather than for the carryover.

The Question is...if one is on a cruise which is comprised of 2 or more segments, can one select the liquor package for the segments of ones choosing rather than the entire gross time you are on board ?

In my case I am a cruise which is also comprised of 3 , 16day sub cruises but is also listed as 1 cruise for the entire time. I am booked on the 1 cruise which is longer. I would like the liquor package but would like to be able to have it for the first segments but not the last. Is that possible?

Gosh that's a great question, I bet this applies to many as quite a few people seem to do these segments trips....

I would like to hear from anyone who traves as a couple with only one person getting the package. Like Mura my DH does not drink. I however do like to drink, though not huge quantities. However last time I saw the list there were some very nice wines and champagnes included that I would not normally treat myself to.

I like a cocktail mid afternoon...wine with dinner...champagne any time. dH says just to buy as needed.....and I'm sure it might be slightly cheaper than the $55 pkg.......but I would not order the Perrier Jouet for example where that is on the package list. I think ( if anyone has list could they repost? Thanks.)

Would it be really decadent to treat myself?

Terry

I have been told that drinks packages can be purchased onboard and price is prorated for the number of days left in the cruise. I have read posts that they stop selling the drinks package one or two days into the cruise. I'd love to get the package for our last 5 or 6 days (on an 11 day cruise.) Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks.

In my case I am a cruise which is also comprised of 3 , 16day sub cruises but is also listed as 1 cruise for the entire time. I am booked on the 1 cruise which is longer. I would like the liquor package but would like to be able to have it for the first segments but not the last. Is that possible?

I am sure it is possible as each segment is treated as a separate cruise unless part of a GRAND VOYAGE

Just let the purser know you do not want the package for segment 2 or whatever segment it is

You will get 1 bill at the end of your total cruise, but they do supply statements at the end of each segment in my past experiences

Your TA (if you used one) might have the final answer for you

I like a cocktail mid afternoon...wine with dinner...champagne any time. dH says just to buy as needed.....and I'm sure it might be slightly cheaper than the $55 pkg.......but I would not order the Perrier Jouet for example where that is on the package list. I think ( if anyone has list could they repost? Thanks.)

Would it be really decadent to treat myself?

Terry

If you have 3 glasses of Perrier Jouet a day that more than pays for the package :D

You have to decide what works best your you

I could probably spread out 3 glasses a day of the good stuff to make it worth the price :D

Lyn

I have been told that drinks packages can be purchased onboard and price is prorated for the number of days left in the cruise. I have read posts that they stop selling the drinks package one or two days into the cruise. I'd love to get the package for our last 5 or 6 days (on an 11 day cruise.) Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks.

Sorry, but it is whole cruise or nothing.

They do give passengers a Grace Period of two or three days at the start of the cruise; but after that, buying the Package is no longer an Option.

Rats, it so happens that the cruise I am on is a "Grand Cruise of 49 days", and is comprised of 3 sub/segment cruises, each or which is also called a "Grand Cruise".

Laying out 49 days at $55 a day can take a bite out of my fiscal pineapple:cool:. At least the "Grand Cruise", comes with gratuities included.

So, Jim/Stan, your saying that I have up to 3 days from the start to fish or cut bait.? I was hoping that since the sub sections are also "Grand Cruises" that I could take 2 of the 3 segments in full. but skip the 3rd.

So, Jim/Stan, your saying that I have up to 3 days from the start to fish or cut bait.? I was hoping that since the sub sections are also "Grand Cruises" that I could take 2 of the 3 segments in full. but skip the 3rd

The entire Shipboard book-keeping set up runs on a per voyage basis. Grand Voyage or no Grand Voyage, you won't have any problems booking things Cruise by Cruise..

In fact, you would have had more of a problem trying to get them to carry services over from Cruise to Cruise without a transition.

I am new to Oceania and coming from the all inclusive lines where alcoholic beverages are included. No signing of chits or waiting to sign away at the end if a meal. If we buy the premium package, how do they identify you. Do they just mark your cruise ID. How cumbersome us it?

I am new to Oceania and coming from the all inclusive lines where alcoholic beverages are included. No signing of chits or waiting to sign away at the end if a meal. If we buy the premium package, how do they identify you. Do they just mark your cruise ID. How cumbersome is it?

I am new to Oceania and coming from the all inclusive lines where alcoholic beverages are included. No signing of chits or waiting to sign away at the end if a meal. If we buy the premium package, how do they identify you. Do they just mark your cruise ID. How cumbersome is it?

Your cruise ID (Oceania calls them "World Card's) will identify you as participating in the Package, and this must be presented whenever you first order cocktails in any venue on the ship.

Similar to "running a tab" in any bar, you will be asked to sign once ( at least that is the model), but if you leave and return later in the day, a new session comes into play and you will need the card again, and be asked to sign again.

We found the system VERY user friendly, and because those World Card's are also one's room-key we never leave the stateroom without it, anyway.

We opted for the drink package for our Med cruise this fall. We prefer to have a small bill at the end of our trips and know that we will very likely at least break even over the course of the trip versus paying individually for our drinks.

I am not a big drinker but even a martini before dinner and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner adds up quickly at Oceania prices.

I am new to Oceania and coming from the all inclusive lines where alcoholic beverages are included. No signing of chits or waiting to sign away at the end if a meal. If we buy the premium package, how do they identify you. Do they just mark your cruise ID. How cumbersome us it?

We had the package and never signed for anything. Just had to show your card. We used our OBC to pay for most of the package cost, but will probably do it again next time even without the credits. The Pierre Jouet makes it worthwhile, plus the great spiked coffee drinks.

For me is a beer or glass of wine for lunch, a cocktail mid day a glass of Cham or a Kir before dinner, 2 glasses of wine with dinner and a port or after dinner drink comes to about $80

Don't forget the Oceania prices will have an 18% tip, same with bottles of wine 4 glasses of wine a day and your there.

Then too if you on a long trip with many sea days in the south pacific etc your going to want to imbibe a bit more

For me is a beer or glass of wine for lunch, a cocktail mid day a glass of Cham or a Kir before dinner, 2 glasses of wine with dinner and a port or after dinner drink comes to about $80

Don't forget the Oceania prices will have an 18% tip, same with bottles of wine 4 glasses of wine a day and your there.

Then too if you on a long trip with many sea days in the south pacific etc your going to want to imbibe a bit more

Thank you for the info. Do they add 18% tip if you are using the fixed rateor are you just referring to those drinks ordered if one doesn't select the fixed daily rate?

Thank you for the info. Do they add 18% tip if you are using the fixed rateor are you just referring to those drinks ordered if one doesn't select the fixed daily rate?

The gratuity is included in the beverage package per day price. It is additional (automatically added) for other alcohol purchases

I understand the Prestige package is now 55/day. The House Select is 35. Is Perrier-Jouett by the glass still included in the House Select package? Does the House Select include after dinner dessert wines e.g. port and ice wines? I also understand wine bottle packages are available, but I could not locate details on the web site. Can someone confirm and fill me in on that option.

I appreciate I will have a couple of days after boarding to purchase the packages. I read the sample wine list from the web site. Given the standard industry wide practice of hefty bottle mark ups I'd be surprised if the wine bottle packages will be much of a bargain as typically they only discount bottles 10-15%. Realistically, our choice seems to be between the House Select, Prestige, or no package.

I like 16 year old Lagavughlin scotch (with tip probably $18 a drink if they have it) so just 2 drinks per day would justify the Prestige over the House Select for me. My wife likes Cosmopolitans at a bar though she also drinks Lagavughlin if we have it in our cabin. Although she weighs only slightly more than half of what I do she can easily keep up with me - which is obviously one of the reasons I married her.

I might be inclined to pop for the Prestige package if we were going on a 10 day cruise, but we are going on a 21 day cruise and my concern is that prolonged heavy drinking (2 drinks and 2 glasses of wine per day) might be overdoing it. I already experienced a case of "holiday heart" (atrial flutter) and I'm wary of a repeat.

My plan is to go with the House Select and bring 2 fifths of Lagavughlin for consumption in the cabin. Do they allow you to bring 2 bottles of booze aboard? How do I find out what scotch brands are stocked on board in case I decide to throw caution to the wind?

There are 28 varieties of Scotch and Whiskey stocked on the Riviera but sadly, your Lagavughlin does not appear to be one of them.

Happily, if you contact Guest Services before your Voyage, Oceania will make a good faith effort to get some in before your cruise.

The beverage packages do still include the Perrier-Jouett, and quite a number of Dessert wines, Ports, Cognacs, Eau de Vie and Liqueurs.

Ice wines are quite seasonal and are not a regular feature, although they may be offered.

Remember that the House Select Package includes wine or Beer ONLY with lunch or dinner. That stretches to your cabin if you order Room Service, but only at meal times.

Don't be concerned about bringing booze aboard, Oceania treats us like responsible adults. :D

You can bring on your two bottles of booze! Don't worry.

Mura

Thank you.

There are 28 varieties of Scotch and Whiskey stocked on the Riviera but sadly, your Lagavughlin does not appear to be one of them.

Happily, if you contact Guest Services before your Voyage, Oceania will make a good faith effort to get some in before your cruise.

The beverage packages do still include the Perrier-Jouett, and quite a number of Dessert wines, Ports, Cognacs, Eau de Vie and Liqueurs.

Ice wines are quite seasonal and are not a regular feature, although they may be offered.

Remember that the House Select Package includes wine or Beer ONLY with lunch or dinner. That stretches to your cabin if you order Room Service, but only at meal times.

Don't be concerned about bringing booze aboard, Oceania treats us like responsible adults. :D

Who you calling a responsible adult?:D Ok, I've noticed you seem pretty well informed, but where on earth did you get the info on the 28 varieties of Scotch, etc? What about wine bottle packages?

Archived