Noisy adults in the Solarium?

clayb

We have not yet sailed on a ship with a solarium, but I am looking forward to it in the fall. Yipee!

This is an interesting thread to me. I had the impression (perhaps from advertising) that the Solarium was more of a quiet place. Not really a place for silence, simply more of a naturally quiet place. Laughter and murmurs of conversation don’t seem that they would disrupt that environment.

Adults-only Solarium

Retreat to the glass-canopied, adults-only Solarium pool, where inspired surroundings, a light-fare café, and whirlpools promise the ultimate in relaxation.

Other places on RCI's site I see “Bask at the tranquil Solarium pool” (Brilliance page), “-along with plenty of spaces that soothe, like the Vitality Spa and the adults-only Solarium pool” (Enchantment page), "Onboard, be pampered at the Vitality Spa or find your retreat at the glass-canopied Solarium adults-only pool*.” (Grandeur page)

These words conjure images of a place that is a bit on the quiet side of the spectrum for me. I guess I need to think differently...

Is it usually more quiet in the mornings?

I think it just depends on the mix of people you happen to get on your cruise. And most times, in my limited experience, the Solarium has ended up being a relatively quieter, more relaxed place than other places on the ship. But sometimes, and maybe more so now with the drink packages, you get a rowdier grouping of people, and once one group is louder in there, then others will be too.

We have not yet sailed on a ship with a solarium, but I am looking forward to it in the fall. Yipee!

This is an interesting thread to me. I had the impression (perhaps from advertising) that the Solarium was more of a quiet place. Not really a place for silence, simply more of a naturally quiet place. Laughter and murmurs of conversation don’t seem that they would disrupt that environment.

Other places on RCI's site I see “Bask at the tranquil Solarium pool” (Brilliance page), “-along with plenty of spaces that soothe, like the Vitality Spa and the adults-only Solarium pool” (Enchantment page), "Onboard, be pampered at the Vitality Spa or find your retreat at the glass-canopied Solarium adults-only pool*.” (Grandeur page)

These words conjure images of a place that is a bit on the quiet side of the spectrum for me. I guess I need to think differently...

Most of the ships we have been on the solarium is just as you described above, however I will say that on our last cruise on Allure we ran into a group of overly loud people in the solarium most days. Just go in with the understanding that it may quite be what is advertised and you will be fine.

On our sailing the pool in the solarium (which is not very large to begin with) was filled from early morning until late afternoon by the same bunch. Most had their beer coolers alongside the edge of the pool so they really didn't have to leave the water. The bartenders made sure they kept their coolers filled and riled them up along the way as well. All we wanted to do was take a dip in the pool to cool off which became just about impossible with so many people there.

We just sat off to the side and turned our chairs towards the water. Was it a disappointment, yes after what we had experience in the past, but it didn't ruin our day. Going back again this year with much lower expectations.

In the (early) mornings, you will probably be surrounded by lots of towels on chairs... :rolleyes:

You don't really need to think differently, unless you are thinking that it should be library-like quiet. It is a bit on the quiet side of the spectrum, compared to some other places on the ship. But, there is a bar, and there are hot tubs, and, yes, some people are likely to be laughing and talking above a whisper. :cool:

Also, don't forget in addition to a bar there is a RESTAURANT in the Solarium. Although it does get crowded at times, I feel like the Solaruim is big enough that one can still find a quiet corner, even on the smaller ships such as The Enchantment. If you're sitting in the front row near the pool, adjacent to the BAR and RESTAURANT it is not going to be very quiet...especially on sea days. I understand how the term "solarium" can be misleading, but I think if you choose your times to be in the solarium wisely you can have a quiet atmosphere and find plenty of seats.

One of my favorite spots on RCI ships is the Solarium... but lately, there are folks in the hot tubs drinking daiquiris, talking and laughing loudly, Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against talking or drinking and having a good time. I do my share of both. But the Solarium is supposed to be a quiet place and I haven't found that lately on my RCCL cruises. Maybe I should get up and ask security to handle it. How do you feel?

In my opinion, i think the adult only, implies tranquil. Not quiet, being from NY, i mostly cruise from home. I choose the time of year, based on the schools sessions. Im sure we can all agree that it depends where your traveling from and what time of year it is, will decide the passengers. I doubt security would have asked the offenders to quiet down, and why bother, It's easier to just try to nap somewhere else.. ;)

The solarium is my favourite place on ships. It is usually a nice quiet place to get away to for a book or a rest. Haven't had any issues with excessive noise in the past, but generally the solarium is big enough to be able to find another spot.

That's the beauty of cruising, something for everyone. And if the solarium isn't working out, there's always another quiet place to go.

i guess the point of the original post was that if you are calling it a solarium, one could see how it would be assumed that it would be a quieter area. my particular gripe is when i am in the thermal suite in the spa, and there are always a few people that have to be loud while everyone else is obviously sleeping and trying to relax. people need to start having some common courtesy for each other.

I've never spent any time in the solarium but passing thru you feel like you should tip toe. We call it the land of the living dead:rolleyes:

i guess the point of the original post was that if you are calling it a solarium, one could see how it would be assumed that it would be a quieter area. my particular gripe is when i am in the thermal suite in the spa, and there are always a few people that have to be loud while everyone else is obviously sleeping and trying to relax. people need to start having some common courtesy for each other.

That's all I've been trying to say. Maybe that's an advantage of Princess' concept, where you pay for the space. I'm fairly certain that quiet is enforced there.

Personally, I find all of those places too quiet. I like to be in the front row of seats at the main pool, where it's obviously going to be lively.

All of the posts above make sense, especially on the sea days.

Also, don't forget in addition to a bar there is a RESTAURANT in the Solarium. Although it does get crowded at times, I feel like the Solaruim is big enough that one can still find a quiet corner, even on the smaller ships such as The Enchantment. If you're sitting in the front row near the pool, adjacent to the BAR and RESTAURANT it is not going to be very quiet...especially on sea days. I understand how the term "solarium" can be misleading, but I think if you choose your times to be in the solarium wisely you can have a quiet atmosphere and find plenty of seats.

There is no restaurant on EX in the solarium. Also, it didn't matter where we sat, believe me. Read what RCI says about the solarium. Have you really been in the solarium? The only time it's "quiet" and you can find plenty of seats is at night. We sit in the shade, as my DH has had melanoma and doesn't need to get a lot of sun, nowhere near the "front row" or pool. Believe me, after 8 cruises on RCI, the solarium has changed a lot.

As for the poster who said, those who can't find a seat by the main pool go to the solarium, not. The main pool area is where people go when they can't find a solarium seat, not the other way around.

I've never cruised RCI before (will be on the freedom in June) but the solarium is one of my favorite spots on celebrity. For the poster who said its just pool overflow... I hope not i go to the solarium first every time. Being a fl girl I don't rally need more sun and love quiet shade. I'll be disappointed if it's not laid back and relaxing as publicized.

x2. It's not a designated quiet area, and the fact that there's a bar in the solarium with seating should reinforce that.

On our time aboard Enchantment there was a particularly rowdy group of St. Patricks revelers who spent a bunch of time in the solarium at one point and were quite loud, but it was what it was - nobody complained about it.

There were signs very clearly posted on the doors on Enchantment, and a sign on a big pillar in front of the doors on Allure. I don't remember seeing one on Explorer, but the Solarium enforcement was much looser/non-existant on that ship it seemed.

How do you actually know that no one complained?

On most of the ships we have been on, the Solarium is a quieter place. There is soft background music playing or on the Radiance class, nature sounds. There are no pool games being played or children. That said, on Grandeur in 2006, a mother and her older teenage daughter used the Solarium pool many days. The daughter was over 16, but kept jumping into the pool from the side. I felt that this should not have occured as it is an adults only pool (this was in summer so no family pool time).

Wow some of the responses here are interesting. I have yet to go on my first cruise but from the Allure video, looking at photos, and reading reviews I assumed without even being there yet that that section of the ship would probably be much quieter and relaxed then others. Not total silence but a nice place to just relax and unwind. Can't wait to experience it for myself in a few weeks!

That's all I'm saying. I don't expect it to be totally quiet, but IMHO this room is for relaxing. And on the last two RCI cruises, I noticed a considerable noise level, more than the previous cruises. Just wanted to get other cruisers' takes on it. I didn't expect to get flamed. Please, people, one of you said "Stay in your cabin!" What? Not what I expected from such a group of nice people. I'm a musician.. And used to making lots of noise myself... I have nothing against people doing what they want to do. Thanks for posting and thanks to the rest of you for being gracious. :-)

Amen

I was in Solarium and a man in the hot tub was so loud I and others actually thought at first someone was talking on the PA system. He would not shut up or lower his voice, I don't believe he ever took a breath. His voice was actually reverbrating over the whole area. After about 30 minutes of this, I could not ignore it any longer. I went over to him and politely as I could to please lower his voice. He actually responded by lowering his volumn. Problem solved. I have also told parents their children should be using the other pools if someone comes in that is under age. If I see a waiter I might have them tell them. On the last ship I was on a waiter actually went up to some adults with a child and told them to leave as this was an adult area.

There is no restaurant on EX in the solarium. Also, it didn't matter where we sat, believe me. Read what RCI says about the solarium. Have you really been in the solarium? The only time it's "quiet" and you can find plenty of seats is at night. We sit in the shade, as my DH has had melanoma and doesn't need to get a lot of sun, nowhere near the "front row" or pool. Believe me, after 8 cruises on RCI, the solarium has changed a lot.

As for the poster who said, those who can't find a seat by the main pool go to the solarium, not. The main pool area is where people go when they can't find a solarium seat, not the other way around.[/quote]

I am that poster and on Sea Day I have seen where folks couldn't find a place to sit outside then headed to the solarium to find a place....I was one of them, although I could find a place in there neither. Seating is at a premium on Sea Day, so for some any place would be ok outside or Solarium!

As for the poster who said, those who can't find a seat by the main pool go to the solarium, not. The main pool area is where people go when they can't find a solarium seat, not the other way around.[/quote]

I am that poster and on Sea Day I have seen where folks couldn't find a place to sit outside then headed to the solarium to find a place....I was one of them, although I could find a place in there neither. Seating is at a premium on Sea Day, so for some any place would be ok outside or Solarium!

I posted that because the solarium fills up long, long before the pool area does, always. The solarium on a sea day is completely full by 10 am at the latest and yet, you can walk through the pool area and still find seats, maybe not next to the pool, but around the edges and definitely on the level above.

How do you actually know that no one complained?

Because they were not asked to leave, and given how proactive the crew member who was enforcing solarium rules with the kids etc was being I'd have to believe if anyone had complained they WOULD have been spoken to.

The solarium is what it is. My experiences have been that usually its relatively quiet, and *always* quieter vs the pool deck. There are times during the day where its noisier, and there are times when it's so quiet the only noises you hear is the waves in the pool. Everyone needs to accept that, smile, and be happy.

Anyone who goes cruising and expects perfect serenity in ANY public area is being totally unrealistic IMHO. It's a passenger ship, not a private yacht.

As for the poster who said, those who can't find a seat by the main pool go to the solarium, not. The main pool area is where people go when they can't find a solarium seat, not the other way around.

Sorry, you are correct there is no restaurant in the Solarium on EX. I have been in the solarium on several ships, several times. There are times during the day when it is very quiet, and yes sometimes it is at night. Usually around 3-4pm when everyone that has been there since the crack of dawn (well their towel has been there anyways) get tired of being there and move on. Early diners are getting ready for dinner etc. Being an indoor tile "room", the solarium does not lend itself to be very "quiet". It can seem loud simply from the echo at times. There are shady spots on the outside prominade (on ships that have them), and sometimes up on the upper decks, usually aft.

I think the point is that if you are looking for quiet, and the solaruim isn't quiet, perhaps you should move on and find a place that is quiet or come back later.

I do see both sides of the story but there is a point where loud is too loud. There is no reason for a group a people to be so loud that they disturb everyone else in the area. There is a time and a place for everything and luckly there are alot of quiet hidden areas on a cruise ship to have some peace and quiet.

Sorry, you are correct there is no restaurant in the Solarium on EX. I have been in the solarium on several ships, several times. There are times during the day when it is very quiet, and yes sometimes it is at night. Usually around 3-4pm when everyone that has been there since the crack of dawn (well their towel has been there anyways) get tired of being there and move on. Early diners are getting ready for dinner etc. Being an indoor tile "room", the solarium does not lend itself to be very "quiet". It can seem loud simply from the echo at times. There are shady spots on the outside prominade (on ships that have them), and sometimes up on the upper decks, usually aft.

I think the point is that if you are looking for quiet, and the solaruim isn't quiet, perhaps you should move on and find a place that is quiet or come back later.

I never said I was looking for silence or quiet, what I do look for though is not yelling across the room and talking so loud that no one can hear themselves think. That's different than people just talking, laughing, etc. It's extremely selfish to think what you have to say is so important that you have to yell it across the room and carry on a "conversation" that way (mostly onesided btw). Get your a** out of the hot tub or off the chair and walk over and have a discussion at conversation levels. In our 8 cruises on RCI, our experiences are that 6-8 people are being loud and rowdy and everyone else (usually 50 or so people) are sitting reading, having normal conversations or sunning themselves. Those 6-8 people's rights do not supersede everyone elses.

I think if you're looking for loud, party atmosphere the place to be is the main pool deck. That's where all the games, competitions, bands, etc are.

I think some posters are so hung up on their "right to do whatever they want on vacation" that they forget they are not the only ones with rights or on vacation.

So, you're okay with someone who pretty much yells and talks nonstop?

Sorry, but not everyone is going to live by your standards either sweetheart.

FALSE. The loud talker is obeying the rules, thus, your opinion of her volume is irrelevant.

Archived