Carnival Spirit ...Green Thunder

Hi – the staff member actually opens / closes the door, and will make sure you are standing correctly before you shoot down. However, on my cruise the Green Thunder was only ever operating while we were in Port. Has anyone ever been on a cruise when it was operating while out to sea?

We were on the repositioning from Honolulu and it operated some days we were at sea depending on where the wind was coming from I think. Because there were so few kids in board there was never a queue - my ten year old son had 116 goes on it over our 16 day cruise so there were plenty of opportunities. But I would advise not leaving it till your last sea day in case it is windy or rough.

Penny

Hi – the staff member actually opens / closes the door, and will make sure you are standing correctly before you shoot down. However, on my cruise the Green Thunder was only ever operating while we were in Port. Has anyone ever been on a cruise when it was operating while out to sea?

Whats the point of having such an attraction , or drawcard, if its only used on port days, or when the ship is anchored in calm water for the day.....surely everyone would be ashore on tours , or just on shore sightseeing?

Whats the point of having such an attraction , or drawcard, if its only used on port days, or when the ship is anchored in calm water for the day.....surely everyone would be ashore on tours , or just on shore sightseeing?

As above, it is used on sea days as well.

Looks like they only do it when conditions are comfortable though. You don't want someone pushed against the opposite edge of the tube when the ship rolls!

Oh and I did try it (on a sea day) and it was fun but a bit scary! Had to train myself not to scream when the floor dropped away.

when the floor dropped away. !!!! :eek:

I don't think so!!!! :)

Barry

David

It's a bit like that Celebrity (I think) ship that has real grass on the upper deck -- but you can't walk on it!! :rolleyes: At least you can walk on Cunard's pretend grass croquet and bowling lawns :)

Barry

David

It's a bit like that Celebrity (I think) ship that has real grass on the upper deck -- but you can't walk on it!! :rolleyes: At least you can walk on Cunard's pretend grass croquet and bowling lawns :)

Barry

Hey bazza, you can definitely walk on the grass on solstice. Just like they run Spirits green thunder at sea when conditions permit.

It definitely operates whilst at sea. It closes down if it is too windy. I'm guessing for the safety of those lining up rather than those going down the slide. It was fairly windy when we were up the top and ICandy tell you my knuckles were white from hanging on to railing!

I have been told by an inside source that they can not use the slide most of the time whilst at sea because the smoke from the funnel goes inside the slide causing health risks.K

Thats a good point, but even in port the engines are running to produce the electricity thats needed, so I presume smoke would be a full time problem?

So much for going on a cruise , to breathe the clean fresh sea air:D:D

My husband and I are both 63 and went on the green thunder on the repositioning cruise from Honolulu to Sydney

There were many days when it wasn't operating but then the south seas do have quite rough conditions and I think from a safety view, I can understand it not operating all the time

I had to go on it a couple of times to prove to myself I was game enough but it was scarey ... When you stand in the tube and the countdown is on and then the floor just falls away and you just drop.. You need to try to keep your head back because it bangs against the wall but the ride is over very quickly

But I agree.. Don't wait too long or you may miss out if the weather turns

Dianne

Archived