Has anyone every fished off their balcony ???

Yea but remember you are moving about 25 mph, about the only thing to hit that would be a wahoo.

This is true. It's way too fast for trolling. But the fishing off one of the lower decks at the wee hours of the morning I am going to try. I have a pretty decent rod & reel combo that breaks down into a little carrying case. Very convenient for this type of mission.

Sure, we did this as we were pulling into Cozumel and another RCI ship was across the pier from us.

Edit: Never mind. I misread the title. You're talking about fishing, not flashing.

LOL..........you could try flashing while fishing. Actually, that might make a pretty good shore excursion............lmao

I have a sneaky suspicion that since I can't bring a coffee pot or an iron on board, that a grill might be a no no...........hahaha

Unless I can break it down James Bond style to the point that they wouldn't know what they are looking at.

But even if I could get the grill on the ship, one of my neighbors on a adjoining balcony would complain. I can hear it now...."How come he can grill fish on his balcony, but I can't grill a rib eye? Their is always someone that comes along and screws it up for you.

Ask and you shall receive!

Here you go - most cruisers I know bring this model on board:

730829.jpg

Its $49.95 at Brookstone.

Just pack a couple of bags of Charcoal (never brickettes :cool: ) in one of your suitcases.

And the only neighbors who will complain are the ones you don't invite to your little soiree. ;) :D

...Edit: Never mind. I misread the title. You're talking about fishing, not flashing.

Bonus points for fishing AND flashing.

Triple bonus points for fishing flashing AND BBQ'ing simultaneously. :p

Ask and you shall receive!

Here you go - most cruisers I know bring this model on board:

730829.jpg

Its $49.95 at Brookstone.

Just pack a couple of bags of Charcoal (never brickettes :cool: ) in one of your suitcases.

And the only neighbors who will complain are the ones you don't invite to your little soiree. ;) :D

Bonus points for fishing AND flashing.

Triple bonus points for fishing flashing AND BBQ'ing simultaneously. :p

In a sense that defeats the whole purpose of a vacation. I do enough cooking at home. My wife is no Julia Child, so if I want to survive I have to do all the cooking. When I am on vacation, my apron comes off. :D

After the last meal my darling wife prepared, she said "Honey, can you take the garbage out? I responded by saying "Sunshine, you cooked it, you take it out." Drum roll.........

Yeah, right. Those tiny things are probably only good for catching seagulls. I'd put a whole piece of honey stung chicken on that hook.

If you use the steak served in the MDR you'll never lose your bait. Years ago we saw a crew member from another ship fishing of the back in the crew area. He was just using a line and hook with no pole. Just a little scary. :D

If you use the steak served in the MDR you'll never lose your bait. Years ago we saw a crew member from another ship fishing of the back in the crew area. He was just using a line and hook with no pole. Just a little scary. :D

I am actually being serious now. But I think the best bait that I can bring is snails. I can buy a can of them at my local gourmet food store. Just need to remember to bring a cheap can opener. The snails are pretty firm creatures and will hold up very well on the end of a hook. Of course no garlic butter :D

Just be careful when you cast your line. You just might hook a babe, sunbathing PAX on a lower balcony and reel her in. Try explaining that to your better half! “Oh honey I just hooked a mermaid“!

PS -You really could hook someone on a lower deck.

Just be careful when you cast your line. You just might hook a babe, sunbathing PAX on a lower balcony and reel her in. Try explaining that to your better half! “Oh honey I just hooked a mermaid“!

PS -You really could hook someone on a lower deck.

As I mentioned earlier I am going to do this at 5 AM and I am going to go to a lower deck. Probably the deck that has the lifeboats on it will work out well. I think that is the same deck they most of the people muster on for the drill.

I am actually being serious now. But I think the best bait that I can bring is snails. I can buy a can of them at my local gourmet food store. Just need to remember to bring a cheap can opener. The snails are pretty firm creatures and will hold up very well on the end of a hook. Of course no garlic butter :D

Good thing you are bringing your own. We couldn't get escargot in Feb while on the Freedom.

Good thing you are bringing your own. We couldn't get escargot in Feb while on the Freedom.

Haven't ate them in quite some time, and I really like them. I just don't frequent French restaurants that much. It's funny because myself and my brothers were eating snails at a very young age. My Mom would buy the canned snails and stuff the shells that she would keep and wash after each use. A little garlic butter and we would wolf them down. I think we all were between the ages of 8 and 11 when she started to feed us snails.

This post has been a laugh.

But, seriously, this topic has come up before. I'm not sure, but you really can't just fish off your balcony or anywhere else on the ship. Just be careful. The cameras really do capture quite a bit of the balconies down the sides of the ship. MORE than I ever expected!:eek:

I would love if RCI offered a catch and dine meal with the (your) catch of the day.

This post has been a laugh.

But, seriously, this topic has come up before. I'm not sure, but you really can't just fish off your balcony or anywhere else on the ship. Just be careful. The cameras really do capture quite a bit of the balconies down the sides of the ship. MORE than I ever expected!:eek:

I would love if RCI offered a catch and dine meal with the (your) catch of the day.

Well, I will see what happens. What's the worst thing they could tell me? Don't do that anymore. Now if they go find a Nun with a ruler, then we will have a problem. :D

I can't believe it! I read through this entire thread and didn't see one poster complaining about the possibility of being offended by the smell of snail bait or fresh-caught fish flopping up past their balcony as you reel in your catch of the day! I say go for it...you've already been pre-approved by the sniff and complain patrol!:D:D

Has anyone ever fished off their balcony while in port? Fishing rods aren't on the prohibited list. Maybe I will bring along my Popel Pocket Fisherman. Order a few salmon sandwiches from room service and now I have bait. I know this thread isn't as exciting as the argumentative ones regarding booze smuggling or whether or not shorts are acceptable on formal night. But it is different.....LOL

HAHAHA....my DH and DS have both wanted to do that!!!

Now, if you're going to fish in Bermuda, then you can go to the little marina store near where the ship docks and get yourself some squid to use as bait. Local fish like squid ( though my old man swears by deli meat when he goes fishing for snapper).

Though, with all the work being done on the wharf in Dockyard, the fishing will probably not be all that great! Most you'll probably catch are a few yellow grunts and a couple of bream. Throw back the bream, they're not very tasty. A decent sized grunt isn't too bad on the grill. If you're really lucky, you might snag a snapper.

Thanks for the fun thread. If you do actually manage to fish without getting in trouble, let us know how you make out. I'm curious to see what you'll catch. The fishing up there used to be great, till the cruise ship pier was built. Spent many a summer up there hauling bait nets for my dad and fishing off the rocks with my parents and grandparents - good times :D

Has anyone ever fished off their balcony while in port? Fishing rods aren't on the prohibited list. Maybe I will bring along my Popel Pocket Fisherman. Order a few salmon sandwiches from room service and now I have bait. I know this thread isn't as exciting as the argumentative ones regarding booze smuggling or whether or not shorts are acceptable on formal night. But it is different.....LOL

I find this very funny:D

I can't believe it! I read through this entire thread and didn't see one poster complaining about the possibility of being offended by the smell of snail bait or fresh-caught fish flopping up past their balcony as you reel in your catch of the day! I say go for it...you've already been pre-approved by the sniff and complain patrol!:D:D

That is because I secretly contacted the Cruise Critic holy man to bless this thread riding it of all whiners, complainers and flamers.....hahaha

What is 'chumming' ?

:-)

You never saw the movie "Jaws" ?

Chumming is a way to attract fish. Chum is usually a bunch of bait fish that gets chopped up and thrown overboard.

When I fish here in the north, I buy a block of frozen chum that contains fish & clams. Then the frozen block goes into a chum pot and thrown over board. So as it defrosts the particles fall out of the chum pot through the holes. So it is the particles that float around that attract the fish to come near your boat.

You never saw the movie "Jaws" ?

Chumming is a way to attract fish. Chum is usually a bunch of bait fish that gets chopped up and thrown overboard.

When I fish here in the north, I buy a block of frozen chum that contains fish & clams. Then the frozen block goes into a chum pot and thrown over board. So as it defrosts the particles fall out of the chum pot through the holes. So it is the particles that float around that attract the fish to come near your boat.

I haven't been on a fishing trip yet where there wasn't one in our party that didn't offer up some chum. No purchase required. :D

I haven't been on a fishing trip yet where there wasn't one in our party that didn't offer up some chum. No purchase required. :D

Hahaha........tell me about it. I normally don't get sea sick. But one night I was invited out Blue fishing on a party boat. My friend is a Fireman. So a bunch of fireman chartered the whole party boat for the night. Their had to be about 35 people on board. Anyway, the guy on my right was an old timer. He looked like he could run into a burning building without any breathing equipment. So after about 2 hours into the trip he starts scarfing down sandwich after sandwich along with washing it down with a few Bud's. Now the wave heights are building up to around 7 feet. So it was starting to get a little rough out there. All of a sudden this old timer starts to go into convulsions and starts throwing up all this multi colored goo. I take one look at him spilling his guts overboard and my night was done. I got sick as a dog just watching him that I had to go inside for the remainder of the trip. Now, would you believe that 5 minutes later this old timer was fine and scarfing down more food. And there I am in the cabin laying in a fetal position. What a night.

Archived