Has anyone every fished off their balcony ???

I actually saw a couple of crewmen on a nearby Carnival ship using a hand line to fish while we were anchored and tendering into Grand Caymen. They were fishing out of a crew area door at the bow that they had opened. Was up on about deck 4 or 5 so they were up a ways from the water and were winding a puny 6" fish up hand over hand as it flopped around. We came out with all the "Catch of the Day" and "I guess Carnival doesn't feed their crew enough" lines as we tendered over to the dock.

Well, I will see what happens. What's the worst thing they could tell me? Don't do that anymore. Now if they go find a Nun with a ruler, then we will have a problem. :D

Problem? You mean good time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't been on a fishing trip yet where there wasn't one in our party that didn't offer up some chum. No purchase required. :D

Ahh! Beat me to it!

Probably the best thread so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever fished off their balcony while in port? Fishing rods aren't on the prohibited list. Maybe I will bring along my Popel Pocket Fisherman. Order a few salmon sandwiches from room service and now I have bait. I know this thread isn't as exciting as the argumentative ones regarding booze smuggling or whether or not shorts are acceptable on formal night. But it is different.....LOL

It would be a lot easier to grab some of the sushi for bait, carry the fishing gear and bait off the ship and drop the line off the pier next to the ship.... I wonder where you could get your catch cooked for you?

Personally I'd duct tape a george foreman to my stomach to smuggle it on board to cook the fish. Then you wouldn't have to deal with the charcoal. You can just grab a little butter and salad dressing from the Windjammer to use to marinade and cook the fish with so it doesn't stick and burn to the grill.

Has anyone ever fished off their balcony while in port? Fishing rods aren't on the prohibited list. Maybe I will bring along my Popel Pocket Fisherman. Order a few salmon sandwiches from room service and now I have bait. I know this thread isn't as exciting as the argumentative ones regarding booze smuggling or whether or not shorts are acceptable on formal night. But it is different.....LOL

LOL, I love this thread, it gives some nice mental images. I'm just thinking about what would be the best ports to fish in! No doubt, much of the Caribbean. Also, we were in Istanbul in November and there were people fishing there everywhere on the Bosphorus.

Personally I'd duct tape a george foreman to my stomach to smuggle it on board to cook the fish.

That is certain to set off the metal detector, so just make sure you bring a doctor's note advising that your entire rib cage has been replaced with steel plates. You should breeze through security with no problems.

Personally I'd duct tape a george foreman to my stomach to smuggle it on board to cook the fish. Then you wouldn't have to deal with the charcoal. You can just grab a little butter and salad dressing from the Windjammer to use to marinade and cook the fish with so it doesn't stick and burn to the grill.

Thats fine, but then you'll have no place to strap your inflatable portable hot tub. ;)

Forgetting my fishing expectations, I just realized that I made a huge mistake. Well huge to me, maybe not to others.

My ship sails on the last day of the MLB regular season. So, I am basically going to be away for the whole post season. I surely hope that I can catch the games somewhere on the ship. Does the Explorer have a sports bar? I'll have to look on RCCL's web page for that answer.

I wonder if the Dish Network has a portable satellite dish that I can clamp on to the railing outside the balcony. Just joking about that one. I could use my sling box to send the signal to my laptop over the web. Probably way too expensive to do, and I don't RCCL's connection is fast enough.

Oh well, life goes on............

Ahh yes I forgot that people had to go through detectors not just the carry on bags. That would create a problem. So maybe we are back to the fold up grill and duct taping the charcoal to the body so it wouldn't send up red flags.

Forgetting my fishing expectations, I just realized that I made a huge mistake. Well huge to me, maybe not to others.

My ship sails on the last day of the MLB regular season. So, I am basically going to be away for the whole post season. I surely hope that I can catch the games somewhere on the ship. Does the Explorer have a sports bar? I'll have to look on RCCL's web page for that answer.

I wonder if the Dish Network has a portable satellite dish that I can clamp on to the railing outside the balcony. Just joking about that one. I could use my sling box to send the signal to my laptop over the web. Probably way too expensive to do, and I don't RCCL's connection is fast enough.

they do have a sports bar with like 5 tvs or so, so they should show the playoffs. I was there in January during the first round of the football playoffs and they had the games on.

I was fishing off the back of the ship in Cozumel. Caught a really nice Mahi Mahi using shrimp from the shrimp cocktail, but as I was reeling it up, someone from below in the crew area cut the line and stole my fish. So... I did not get to land it. That was the last of my bait, so I was out of luck.

That is my story.....

Signed,

Pinocchio :p

they do have a sports bar with like 5 tvs or so, so they should show the playoffs. I was there in January during the first round of the football playoffs and they had the games on.

Thanks, I hope so. I looked at the ships deck plans and didn't really see anything labeled as a sports bar.

On the ship, yeah the slingbox may get a bit expensive, but bring it along. My DS watched pre-season football on DHs tablet in a hotel room in Rome via the slingbox a few years ago :eek:. Fortunately the hotel had free wi-fi :D.

Thanks, I hope so. I looked at the ships deck plans and didn't really see anything labeled as a sports bar.

I think all RCI ships have a bar that is sports themed. They get the same programming available in your cabin. Usually, we have been able to grab playoff and certain NFL games that are broadcast on FOX or ESPN.

On the ship, yeah the slingbox may get a bit expensive, but bring it along. My DS watched pre-season football on DHs tablet in a hotel room in Rome via the slingbox a few years ago :eek:. Fortunately the hotel had free wi-fi :D.

Very expensive. But the real issue is the speed of RCCL internet. It's not fast enough to stream a clear uninterrupted picture.

Archived