Cruise+DIY land tour itinerary: Comments pls

snofy

I've never been on cruise and never been to Alaska before I would really appreciate comments on my itinerary. This is my first draft of the itinerary and I am very open to making changes to it. There'll be my husband and I, my mom, my sister and my 3 year old. We're going on a 1 week cruise on NCL Sun followed by 6 days to Denali and Anchorage. We plan not to book any excursions in order to save cost and the plan right now is to get a rental car and drive around at the ports.

Jun 17 – 24 NCL Sun

Ketchikan:

Rent a car from Alaska Car Rental. Follow this map and drive around the various viewpoints while visiting Totem Bight and Saxman Totem Park.

Juneau:

Rent a car from Avis. Drive to Mendenhall Glacier (hike Steep Creek Trail for

bears), Macaulay Salmon Hatchery, Shrine of St. Therese, etc

Skagway:

Rent a car from Avis. Follow Murray’s Guide and drive to Yukon.

Question: Any tips on the drive? Are we missing out on key excursions? It would be great to see some review or trip reports especially for the drive at Ketchikan and Juneau.

Jun 24:

Arrive at Whittier. Rent a car from Avis. Drive to Anchorage. Along the way, visit Portage Glacier, Byron Glacier, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and various viewpoints. Check in Sheraton Anchorage.

Question: We plan to take it easy and enjoy the sights along the way, how long does the drive takes? Do we still have time to do anything at Anchorage?

Jun 25:

We got a great rate for 1 way rental from Whittier to ANC but it’s still much more than the regular rate so in the morning, hubby has to return rental car at airport and get another car. Check out hotel and drive to Denali, checking out sights on the way. Check in hotel at Healy (not booked yet) and check out Denali if time permits.

Question: We don’t plan to stop at Talkeetna because we are not doing any flightseeing but should we? Are there anything else to do there?

Jun 26:

Shuttle bus to Eielson Visitor Center. We are not going to Wonder Lake because we have our 3 year old with us and the ride to Eielson is already long enough.

Question: Has anyone done this ride with a preschooler? Is it a bad idea? My child is very active but she is very curious and loves animals.

Jun 27:

Check out hotel, drive around Denali and drive back to Anchorage. Stay the night at Sheraton Anchorage.

Jun 28:

Drive to Seward. Go to Alaska Sealife Center and Exit Glacier. Return to Anchorage.

Question: Are there anything else to do there that doesn’t require a boat tour? Is it not worth it for a day trip to Seward?

Jun 29:

Go to Matanushka Glacier. Return to ANC and take the flight home t 7pm.

Question: Is it possible for us to do the guided tour? We have a 3 year old but my husband could carry him on the Ergo. How challenging is it to walk on the glacier? My mom has no problem walking around but she does worry about falling.

Appreciate any comments, thanks!

We've been told my more than one person that the minimum drive time between Whittier and Anchorage is 3 hours, primarily due to the "one way tunnel" outside of Whittier that frequently bottle necks.

I've never been on cruise and never been to Alaska before I would really appreciate comments on my itinerary. This is my first draft of the itinerary and I am very open to making changes to it. There'll be my husband and I, my mom, my sister and my 3 year old. We're going on a 1 week cruise on NCL Sun followed by 6 days to Denali and Anchorage. We plan not to book any excursions in order to save cost and the plan right now is to get a rental car and drive around at the ports.

Jun 17 – 24 NCL Sun

Ketchikan:

Rent a car from Alaska Car Rental. Follow this map and drive around the various viewpoints while visiting Totem Bight and Saxman Totem Park.

Totem Bight is great. Saxman is not so great. Pick one of them and it should be Totem Bight.

Juneau:

I did not think that the Shrine was worth the trip. However, the drive out to the Shrine is neat.

Skagway:

Question: Any tips on the drive? Are we missing out on key excursions? It would be great to see some review or trip reports especially for the drive at Ketchikan and Juneau.

Jun 24:

Arrive at Whittier. Rent a car from Avis. Drive to Anchorage. Along the way, visit Portage Glacier, Byron Glacier, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and various viewpoints. Check in Sheraton Anchorage.

Question: We plan to take it easy and enjoy the sights along the way, how long does the drive takes? Do we still have time to do anything at Anchorage?

Jun 25:

We got a great rate for 1 way rental from Whittier to ANC but it’s still much more than the regular rate so in the morning, hubby has to return rental car at airport and get another car. Check out hotel and drive to Denali, checking out sights on the way. Check in hotel at Healy (not booked yet) and check out Denali if time permits.

Question: We don’t plan to stop at Talkeetna because we are not doing any flightseeing but should we? Are there anything else to do there?

When we drove AK, we did Talkeetna and also did not do any flightseeing. I did not feel that the place was even worth the time it took to drive from the highway to the town. Tourist shops, over crowded reataurants, and nothing else.

Jun 26:

Shuttle bus to Eielson Visitor Center. We are not going to Wonder Lake because we have our 3 year old with us and the ride to Eielson is already long enough.

Question: Has anyone done this ride with a preschooler? Is it a bad idea? My child is very active but she is very curious and loves animals.

Jun 27:

Check out hotel, drive around Denali and drive back to Anchorage. Stay the night at Sheraton Anchorage.

Jun 28:

Drive to Seward. Go to Alaska Sealife Center and Exit Glacier. Return to Anchorage.

Question: Are there anything else to do there that doesn’t require a boat tour? Is it not worth it for a day trip to Seward?

The sealife center is really neat. However to drive to Seward just for that is in my opinion not worth it. More driving than seeing. However, the wildlife center is on the way and you should allow time for that. Your 3 year old might enjoy seeing the animals there.

Jun 29:

Question: Is it possible for us to do the guided tour? We have a 3 year old but my husband could carry him on the Ergo. How challenging is it to walk on the glacier? My mom has no problem walking around but she does worry about falling.

A general comment with regard to your choice of accommodation. Traveling with a 3 year old reduces your lodging options but a Sheraton in AK is exactly the same as a Sheraton in any other town in America except that it is probably more expensive. It is a shame that you can not stay in B&Bs but I guess that it would not work with your child. BTW - there is a zoo in Anchorage that your child might enjoy.

DON

The tunnel is only open FROM Whittier on the hour.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whittiertunnel/schedule.shtml

Once you get thru the tunnel, the drive to anchorage is under 60 miles, so 1 1/2 hrs if you make NO stops. BUT, there's a lot to see and do along the Turnagain Arm, so it could take 8 hrs to reach Anchorage! How much time you spend on the drive will depend on your interests, both in Anchorage or the Turnagain Arm. You'll need to prioritize. Since you have a kid you may want to stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center to see the animals. The boardwalk at Potters Marsh is a nice place to view birds. She's probably too young to enjoy gold panning. There's a $29 boat ride to Portage Glacier. Look at suggested stops in this link:

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Personally I wouldn't drive to Seward only to see Exit Glacier and the SeaLife Center. But it's your trip so your priorities.

I feel like your itinerary has too much backtracking. You're south of Anchorage but you drive north to Denali and then go south again to Seward. If you're going to Seward, go there immediately after leaving Whittier and keep the car an extra day. Same with Matanuska; you're driving past the Glenn Hwy exit on your way to/from Denali so why would you drive all the way south to Seward then go north again to see Matanuska.

BTW, your toddler can't go in a backpack on a glacier hike, but why don't the adults split up and take turns babysitting? http://www.micaguides.com/hiking.html

Actually Matanuska would be a good place to stop on your way back from Denali. Overnight there and hike the next day ... you can hike in the morning while kiddo sleeps in and plays, then check out of your cabin, and the others can hike while you have lunch. Maybe stop at Independence Mine for a walk around as well. Then come back to Anchorage to spend the day before flying home ... visit the zoo, rent bikes and ride the coastal trail, take the Trolley Tour.

As for Denali, I've been on the bus with kids ranging from 3 months to 18yrs and haven't had a problem, but I've heard horror stories about bored unhappy kids. I'd suggest spending 2 days at Denali so you can do the bus trip in shifts. Whoever stays behind can take the kid to the sled dog demo, then ride the shuttle to Savage River and hike for an hour. Check out the Jr Ranger kit at the Visitor Center. If you don't want to spend 2 days at the Park, then one adult must be prepared to get off the bus if your kid is unhappy. You can walk along the road for awhile to calm her down, or, flag down an on-coming bus and return to the entrance. (Be sure to get the car/hotel keys from the other parent so you can go back to your cabin for a nap.

I think your itinerary needs some fine tuning. Concentrate on the sights and activities that are priorities for your family and develop your itinerary around those things. And look at a map so t hat you aren't back tracking.

BTW, the link describing the drive along the Turnagain Arm can be used to see detailed info on other drives .... to Denali, Matanuska, Independence Mine/Hatcher Pass, Seward.

[

Ketchikan:

Juneau:

Personally, we never do the Hatchery (cuz we're from Oregon and have been to MANY) but I love to take people to the Shrine............almost every time I've gone there, there have been a couple of whales "playing" in the inner bay right there. You HEAR them first, then they surface. There's a retreat house or something of this sort here and last year they had a couple of VERY friendly young cats frisking about the yard.........sort of "homey."

There's a beach farther on (there's only one road to the Shrine, etc) that often has sea life, also...............and running for the little one.:)

The Alaska State Museum is really a FINE one. It's close to downtown. They have an Eagle's nest that's on the top of a tree that goes from first to second floor.....it's fascinating.

IF it's clear, you can also choose to ride up to the top of the mtn. (right there by the docks) but don't buy tickets before you see what the weather is there.

At least peek inside the RED DOG SALOON; there are many mounted heads on the walls and it's a way to really SEE what many local animals look like (for your daughter). It's just a block from the dock IF you're at the best dock in Juneau.

Skagway:

The guide is excellent but you can keep going if you want. Be sure you carry your Passports as Yukon is in Canada and you'll have to REenter the US on your way back. We enjoy taking a snack-lunch and eating by Emerald Lake...........It can be very foggy in the early a.m. If it is, get your car and drive just north of town to the tiny cemetery to see where Soapy Smith, etc. are buried. You can look around town before leaving or after..............if it's sunny, just get on the road! You can stop often for sites...........when you come to all the tiny rock cairns, let your little one help you build one to say you've been there.

Jun 24:

Jun 25:

Question: We don’t plan to stop at Talkeetna because we are not doing any flightseeing but should we? Are there anything else to do there? It's pretty much a tourist area.........home of an Annual Moose Dropping festival and many, many small plane trips to Denali, etc. I'd not take the time to drive into T.

Jun 26:

Question: Has anyone done this ride with a preschooler? Is it a bad idea? My child is very active but she is very curious and loves animals. It's a LONG ride; have snacks. I've never seen many animals on my rides....once a Sow and her Cubs digging for food, once a wolf far up on the roadway.............and I've done this ride in June and several times in late August ~ early September. If you go on the first one in the morning, it's COLD waiting for the bus to come unless you stand inside, which gets PACKED.

Jun 27:

PERSONALLY, I'd drive to Seward. I know it's longer, but there's a LOT to see and do there. You won't need much time to "drive around Denali"......

HOWEVER, you want daylight on the Seward Hwy. because there's lots to view. Be sure to plan enough time at the Sea Life Center; it's a treasure. And, you can hike a long time at Exit Glacier if you so choose. It's very interesting and is getting smaller by the day. It's the one you can walk to the face of. They have a Nat'l. Parks office there and a great selection of postcards of the area.

You can take a "boat cruise" from Seward that will show you many tidewater glaciers, and a lot of sea life. Those boats are very small compared to the ship you will be on. (I'd make sure it's not raining and that the seas are smooth, though, even if you CAN go inside on these boats.) They are not inexpensive, however.

There are lots of B and Bs in Seward. Last year I found one with Twin Beds which was what we needed.

Jun 28:

Question: Are there anything else to do there that doesn’t require a boat tour? Is it not worth it for a day trip to Seward? Seward is one of my top two favorite towns in Alaska (the other being SITKA). So, I'd say YES, it's worth the drive............stop and look at the beauty along the way.

Jun 29:

I've not been in to this glacier in many years, but it's MUCH smaller than it was when I was first there. I'm not sure of "walking access."

ENJOY!:)

We plan not to book any excursions in order to save cost and the plan right now is to get a rental car and drive around at the ports.

Jun 17 – 24 NCL Sun

Ketchikan:

Juneau:

Skagway:

Jun 24:

Jun 25:

Jun 26:

Jun 27:

Jun 28:

Jun 29:

You have asked- and with the first copied quote- yes you could be making a big mistake, not taking any tours. You group could also split up, which I recommend you consider. There is way more to see and do in Alaska, then driving around.

There are not likely to be any bear sightings at Mendenhall, you are too early, overall. You question, what the drive is like. It's simple, and limited, except with Skagway. Be sure, this is really what everyone wants to do.

Whittier/Anchorage is 1 1/4 hours. You can be out the 9am tunnel, so you have plenty of time for your list. You will have to decide, what you would do in Anchorage, then see if you have time to do it.

You again are asking a very sensitive question re Denali. MY opinion only, but your 3 year old would be totally inappropriate for a shuttle bus to Eielson. It is in NO way a zoo and the bulk of this trip is scenery, which won't be of any interest with a 3 year old. It's a school bus, that is going to be loaded with some serious intent visitors who will not be happy to compromise their transit, due to an "active" toddler. Are you willing to get off the bus frequently? Meaning- your group ALONE, dropped off on the side of the road? You will have waits for reboarding, due to needing 5 seats- you DO have to have a car seat.

A Kenai fjords boat tour also would probably not be a good idea, with a restless toddler. It is a confined space with no way out. Wildlife is more easily seen, however compared to Denali- where binoculars are necessary. The Sealife Center would work very well, along with the Conservatory. But, this is far better with an overnight in Seward. You have to allow at least 6 hours on the road with a day trip.

You are backtracking to Matanuska, perhaps alternative route would free up some time.

But as already stated, a 3 year old would not be acceptable carrying with a glacier trek. It isn't glare ice, more like concrete. Crampons are necessary. The slickest section is the beginning which is black ice. In the past you could get private guides, be prepared for more costs.

Talkeetna is a good meal stop. The "availability" between there and Denali, is very skimpy. You do start to hit some meal action in Cantwell. :) There are occasional gas stations, and many of these have some food selections. A grocery stop is necessary by Wasilla. Nothing past there, except very limited, and costly, nonrestaurant food options.

Once you get thru the tunnel, the drive to anchorage is under 60 miles, so 1 1/2 hrs if you make NO stops. BUT, there's a lot to see and do along the Turnagain Arm, so it could take 8 hrs to reach Anchorage! How much time you spend on the drive will depend on your interests, both in Anchorage or the Turnagain Arm. You'll need to prioritize. Since you have a kid you may want to stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center to see the animals. The boardwalk at Potters Marsh is a nice place to view birds. She's probably too young to enjoy gold panning. There's a $29 boat ride to Portage Glacier. Look at suggested stops in this link:

Personally I wouldn't drive to Seward only to see Exit Glacier and the SeaLife Center. But it's your trip so your priorities.

I feel like your itinerary has too much backtracking. You're south of Anchorage but you drive north to Denali and then go south again to Seward. If you're going to Seward, go there immediately after leaving Whittier and keep the car an extra day. Same with Matanuska; you're driving past the Glenn Hwy exit on your way to/from Denali so why would you drive all the way south to Seward then go north again to see Matanuska.

BTW, your toddler can't go in a backpack on a glacier hike, but why don't the adults split up and take turns babysitting? http://www.micaguides.com/hiking.html

Actually Matanuska would be a good place to stop on your way back from Denali. Overnight there and hike the next day ... you can hike in the morning while kiddo sleeps in and plays, then check out of your cabin, and the others can hike while you have lunch. Maybe stop at Independence Mine for a walk around as well. Then come back to Anchorage to spend the day before flying home ... visit the zoo, rent bikes and ride the coastal trail, take the Trolley Tour.

As for Denali, I've been on the bus with kids ranging from 3 months to 18yrs and haven't had a problem, but I've heard horror stories about bored unhappy kids. I'd suggest spending 2 days at Denali so you can do the bus trip in shifts. Whoever stays behind can take the kid to the sled dog demo, then ride the shuttle to Savage River and hike for an hour. Check out the Jr Ranger kit at the Visitor Center. If you don't want to spend 2 days at the Park, then one adult must be prepared to get off the bus if your kid is unhappy. You can walk along the road for awhile to calm her down, or, flag down an on-coming bus and return to the entrance. (Be sure to get the car/hotel keys from the other parent so you can go back to your cabin for a nap.

I think your itinerary needs some fine tuning. Concentrate on the sights and activities that are priorities for your family and develop your itinerary around those things. And look at a map so t hat you aren't back tracking.

BTW, the link describing the drive along the Turnagain Arm can be used to see detailed info on other drives .... to Denali, Matanuska, Independence Mine/Hatcher Pass, Seward.

mapleleaves: I don't post much, but do read a lot of posts. I must say you offer a lot of valuable information. However, your lack of paragraph spacing really makes it difficult to read your great comments. I hope I am not offending you as I know you are a valuable asset to this board. But could you please use paragraph spacing?

This is slightly off topic but does relate to DIY land tours and hiring excursion tours in Alaska.

We have always been advocates of planning our own DIY tours or if a guided tour is appropriate, book through the tour operators directly. This has been our practice on all our cruises except the first couple when we were 'learning the ropes'.

We have been told that in Alaska it is better to use the ships tours because of the "increased" risk in mishaps causing one to miss returning to the ship on time. Of course the ships tours gurantees that the ship will wait.

I have a difficult time accepting this premise. I have been doing a lot of reading about Alaska tours on the CC boards - - no comments along this line.

What are the thoughts of others relating to the premise of only using ships tours in Alaska? Will appreciate all comments.

Thanks!

One thing that caught my eye-OP is DUPLICATING the drive and activities from Whittier/Seward

Take the train or one of the shuttles from Whittier to ANC. SAVE the heavy drop fee and the hassle of changing cars if you are going to drive to Seward at a later date.

Then take enough time going to Seward to stop at the Wildlife Center, enjoy TurnAgain Arm, maybe go up on the tram at Alyeska for lunch and the breathtaking views.

Just a few thoughts.

The only thing missing, in my opinion, is whale watching in Juneau and as the post above mentioned is the train. If it is cost effective, you might take the train from Whittier to Anchorage. The Sheraton will have a shuttle to the airport to get your car for the week.

As far as Denali goes, you never know what the views will be like on any given day. You may wish to view Denali from Wonder Lake and wildlife opportunities expand the longer you are on the bus. It is hard to extend your ticket to Wonder Lake, but can always call it quits earlier, if needed. I wouldn't drive to Talkeetna, but you could save it for the drive back. I would try and maximize your time near Denali, for the little time you have to see all Denali NP has to offer.

Lastly, don't be afraid to split up your group on this trip. It may make the travel much more enjoyable for all.

We've been told my more than one person that the minimum drive time between Whittier and Anchorage is 3 hours, primarily due to the "one way tunnel" outside of Whittier that frequently bottle necks.

Thanks, I'll bear in mind the tunnel opening time.

It is a shame that you can not stay in B&Bs but I guess that it would not work with your child. BTW - there is a zoo in Anchorage that your child might enjoy.

DON

We prefer the Sheraton because it's free with points. Thanks for the tips on the zoo :)

I've emailed Mica Guides and they confirmed that we can't bring our 3 year old along. I know it'll make more sense for the adults to split up but it's going to be tough because we don't have much time. Is it still worth the time to Matanuska Glacier if we do not do the guided hike? I'm thinking we'll just walk around ourselves and stay around the safe area. We could stay the night at Wasilla before we drive to Matanuska. We are not joining any flightseeing excursions with glacier landing so I thought Matanuska will be a cheap alternative for us to be able to walk on glacier. On the other hand, we'll have more time if we don't do Matanuska and probably could spend a night at Seward instead.

As for Denali, I'll probably get the shuttle tickets for my mom and sister while hubby and I will do something else with my daughter. I'm still thinking the shuttle might work for my daughter though especally if we do it in the early morning while she's still sleepy. She might just sleep all the way to Eielson and I've read that most ppl will sleep on the the ride back to the entrance so we'll just keep her occupied then with books/toys/snacks.

[

Juneau:

Personally, we never do the Hatchery (cuz we're from Oregon and have been to MANY) but I love to take people to the Shrine............almost every time I've gone there, there have been a couple of whales "playing" in the inner bay right there. You HEAR them first, then they surface. There's a retreat house or something of this sort here and last year they had a couple of VERY friendly young cats frisking about the yard.........sort of "homey."

There's a beach farther on (there's only one road to the Shrine, etc) that often has sea life, also...............and running for the little one.:)

The Alaska State Museum is really a FINE one. It's close to downtown. They have an Eagle's nest that's on the top of a tree that goes from first to second floor.....it's fascinating.

IF it's clear, you can also choose to ride up to the top of the mtn. (right there by the docks) but don't buy tickets before you see what the weather is there.

At least peek inside the RED DOG SALOON; there are many mounted heads on the walls and it's a way to really SEE what many local animals look like (for your daughter). It's just a block from the dock IF you're at the best dock in Juneau.

Skagway:

The guide is excellent but you can keep going if you want. Be sure you carry your Passports as Yukon is in Canada and you'll have to REenter the US on your way back. We enjoy taking a snack-lunch and eating by Emerald Lake...........It can be very foggy in the early a.m. If it is, get your car and drive just north of town to the tiny cemetery to see where Soapy Smith, etc. are buried. You can look around town before leaving or after..............if it's sunny, just get on the road! You can stop often for sites...........when you come to all the tiny rock cairns, let your little one help you build one to say you've been there.

Jun 25:

Question: We don’t plan to stop at Talkeetna because we are not doing any flightseeing but should we? Are there anything else to do there? It's pretty much a tourist area.........home of an Annual Moose Dropping festival and many, many small plane trips to Denali, etc. I'd not take the time to drive into T.

Jun 26:

Question: Has anyone done this ride with a preschooler? Is it a bad idea? My child is very active but she is very curious and loves animals. It's a LONG ride; have snacks. I've never seen many animals on my rides....once a Sow and her Cubs digging for food, once a wolf far up on the roadway.............and I've done this ride in June and several times in late August ~ early September. If you go on the first one in the morning, it's COLD waiting for the bus to come unless you stand inside, which gets PACKED.

Jun 27:

PERSONALLY, I'd drive to Seward. I know it's longer, but there's a LOT to see and do there. You won't need much time to "drive around Denali"......

HOWEVER, you want daylight on the Seward Hwy. because there's lots to view. Be sure to plan enough time at the Sea Life Center; it's a treasure. And, you can hike a long time at Exit Glacier if you so choose. It's very interesting and is getting smaller by the day. It's the one you can walk to the face of. They have a Nat'l. Parks office there and a great selection of postcards of the area.

You can take a "boat cruise" from Seward that will show you many tidewater glaciers, and a lot of sea life. Those boats are very small compared to the ship you will be on. (I'd make sure it's not raining and that the seas are smooth, though, even if you CAN go inside on these boats.) They are not inexpensive, however.

There are lots of B and Bs in Seward. Last year I found one with Twin Beds which was what we needed.

Jun 28:

Question: Are there anything else to do there that doesn’t require a boat tour? Is it not worth it for a day trip to Seward? Seward is one of my top two favorite towns in Alaska (the other being SITKA). So, I'd say YES, it's worth the drive............stop and look at the beauty along the way.

Jun 29:

I've not been in to this glacier in many years, but it's MUCH smaller than it was when I was first there. I'm not sure of "walking access."

ENJOY!:)

Thanks for the description of the shrine at Juneau, now that really sounds like something my daughter will enjoy! We'll check out the state museum and the red dog saloon and maybe the tram too if it's a clear day :)

We do plan to drive to Emerald Lake too but I've read that it's better to drive out as soon as possible to beat the tour buses. Where did u get the snack/lunch? Are there a lot of mosquitoes at the lake?

We're really keen on doing the Kenai Fjord tour at Seward but I've read that it's really rough and many ppl got seasick. Don't think we'll be doing that especially with my 3 year old around. How long did u spend at the Sealife Center? Can u recommend a hiking trail at Exit Glacier? How far is it to walk to the face of it?

I still recommend that all of you take the shuttle to Eielson. It's about 4 hrs to reach the EVC, then a 30-40 minute break, then about 3 1/2 hrs back. Bring toys to keep her occupied and snacks/drinks, and most importantly, be prepared to hop off if she acts up. Maybe walking along the road for 20 minutes will help her out, or worse case scenario, you need to take another bus back to the entrance. Also, the bus stops at a rest area every 90 minutes ... if she's going to be unhappy that would be an easy place to hop off and wait it out. I'd sure give it a try tho.

As for matanuska I think you can rent crampons there and do a self guided. You'll need to do a little research on that. Keep in mind that it's a long walk to get to the ice before you can actually walk on it.

And see what's available with Exit Glacier Guides.

You have asked- and with the first copied quote- yes you could be making a big mistake, not taking any tours.

You again are asking a very sensitive question re Denali. MY opinion only, but your 3 year old would be totally inappropriate for a shuttle bus to Eielson.

But, this is far better with an overnight in Seward. You have to allow at least 6 hours on the road with a day trip.

You are backtracking to Matanuska, perhaps alternative route would free up some time.

But as already stated, a 3 year old would not be acceptable carrying with a glacier trek.

A grocery stop is necessary by Wasilla. Nothing past there, except very limited, and costly, nonrestaurant food options.

I've thought about doing Harv and Marv whale tour but we live in Seattle and there're plenty of whale-watching boat rides here. How near would the boat be from the whales? I've done whale-watching near Boston and the whales were so far out. My hubby has been to one at San Juan Island and he said that was very boring too.

All the flightseeing tours cost more than $200 per person and it's $1,000 for alll 5 of us :eek: I might put my mom and sis on the train ride to White Pass though and we'll get a rental car and meet them there.

I'm still undecided about the shuttle ride at Denali but if we were to do it, it'll be early in the morning when my daughter usually sleep.

I still can't decide between Matanuska and Seward. I think we'll only have time for one of them and I'm leaning towards spending a night at Seward since we can't do the glacier hiking tour at Matanuska. What a waste though, I thought it's a cheap alternative since we have no budget for flightseeing+glacier landing tours.

We'll definitely stopping at Wasilla for groceries :)

One thing that caught my eye-OP is DUPLICATING the drive and activities from Whittier/Seward

Take the train or one of the shuttles from Whittier to ANC. SAVE the heavy drop fee and the hassle of changing cars if you are going to drive to Seward at a later date.

Then take enough time going to Seward to stop at the Wildlife Center, enjoy TurnAgain Arm, maybe go up on the tram at Alyeska for lunch and the breathtaking views.

Just a few thoughts.

We got a great rate for the rental at Whittier, it'll be cheaper than coach transfer for the 5 of us so I thought we might as well drive and do the attractions that day.

The only thing missing, in my opinion, is whale watching in Juneau and as the post above mentioned is the train.

As far as Denali goes, you never know what the views will be like on any given day. You may wish to view Denali from Wonder Lake and wildlife opportunities expand the longer you are on the bus. It is hard to extend your ticket to Wonder Lake, but can always call it quits earlier, if needed. I wouldn't drive to Talkeetna, but you could save it for the drive back. I would try and maximize your time near Denali, for the little time you have to see all Denali NP has to offer.

Lastly, don't be afraid to split up your group on this trip. It may make the travel much more enjoyable for all.

I'm still considering whale-watching but is it really that different from what we have here in Seattle?

I'm still not sure whether we are doing the shuttle ride but with my 3 year old around, Eielson is the max we can go. We plan to do some hiking around Denali too but it'll be nothing too strenuous.

We got a great rate for the rental at Whittier, it'll be cheaper than coach transfer for the 5 of us so I thought we might as well drive and do the attractions that day.

Please tell us how you got a great rate on an Avis rental out of Whittier? I sure can't see how you are getting a car for less than shuttle cost which can be had for $150 for 5 (NOT the cruise ship transfer-a private shuttle).

Drop fee alone is usually $125. PLUS the rental. So if you got better than that, please share your secret.

I'm still considering whale-watching but is it really that different from what we have here in Seattle?

I'm still not sure whether we are doing the shuttle ride but with my 3 year old around, Eielson is the max we can go. We plan to do some hiking around Denali too but it'll be nothing too strenuous.

It's different whales, you're seeing orcas. Juneau sightings are humpbacks. It is NOT a tour for everyone, and you don't sound like it would be a priority for your group. So, there are plenty of other things to consider.

I've thought about doing Harv and Marv whale tour but we live in Seattle and there're plenty of whale-watching boat rides here. How near would the boat be from the whales? I've done whale-watching near Boston and the whales were so far out. My hubby has been to one at San Juan Island and he said that was very boring too.

All the flightseeing tours cost more than $200 per person and it's $1,000 for alll 5 of us :eek: I might put my mom and sis on the train ride to White Pass though and we'll get a rental car and meet them there.

I'm still undecided about the shuttle ride at Denali but if we were to do it, it'll be early in the morning when my daughter usually sleep.

I still can't decide between Matanuska and Seward. I think we'll only have time for one of them and I'm leaning towards spending a night at Seward since we can't do the glacier hiking tour at Matanuska. What a waste though, I thought it's a cheap alternative since we have no budget for flightseeing+glacier landing tours.

We'll definitely stopping at Wasilla for groceries :)

You would have to charter the boat for H&M.

It's a tough decision about Denali- I'm coming from a different perspective, but the first am trips are very popular with full buses.

Also consider the Musk Ox farm in Palmer for a look, on the way if you go to Matanuska.

? Can u recommend a hiking trail at Exit Glacier? How far is it to walk to the face of it?

There are two trails, the upper is superior with more ice views. You can not walk to the face, you get a side view. The upper trail turn off is marked, take a look at a map at the visitor center before you head out. Can easily be done in an hour. It is an uphill climb, and stairs involved.

I've emailed Mica Guides and they confirmed that we can't bring our 3 year old along. I know it'll make more sense for the adults to split up but it's going to be tough because we don't have much time. Is it still worth the time to Matanuska Glacier if we do not do the guided hike? I'm thinking we'll just walk around ourselves and stay around the safe area. We could stay the night at Wasilla before we drive to Matanuska. We are not joining any flightseeing excursions with glacier landing so I thought Matanuska will be a cheap alternative for us to be able to walk on glacier. On the other hand, we'll have more time if we don't do Matanuska and probably could spend a night at Seward instead.

As for Denali, I'll probably get the shuttle tickets for my mom and sister while hubby and I will do something else with my daughter. I'm still thinking the shuttle might work for my daughter though especally if we do it in the early morning while she's still sleepy. She might just sleep all the way to Eielson and I've read that most ppl will sleep on the the ride back to the entrance so we'll just keep her occupied then with books/toys/snacks.

No, in my opinion, it is not worth going to Matanuska, unless you hike it. There also is a per person fee involved for any access, and the access you are talking about is definitely not worth the time. This glacier is lacking, and certainly is not considered too scenic by myself. The forte is the easy access for trekking.

I still recommend that all of you take the shuttle to Eielson. It's about 4 hrs to reach the EVC, then a 30-40 minute break, then about 3 1/2 hrs back. Bring toys to keep her occupied and snacks/drinks, and most importantly, be prepared to hop off if she acts up. Maybe walking along the road for 20 minutes will help her out, or worse case scenario, you need to take another bus back to the entrance. Also, the bus stops at a rest area every 90 minutes ... if she's going to be unhappy that would be an easy place to hop off and wait it out. I'd sure give it a try tho.

As for matanuska I think you can rent crampons there and do a self guided. You'll need to do a little research on that. Keep in mind that it's a long walk to get to the ice before you can actually walk on it.

Actually, it's a short walk to get on the black ice. There will be a picnic table, where you need to apply the crampons. It is definitely farther to get to the "ice" experience people think about.

I see a big problem with them considering hopping on and off the shuttle buses. They will have to carry the car seat, and 5 seats- in peak season, when they are going, are not going to be easy to get. Add areas of bug "flair ups", and it may not be a doable option.

They just about have to get off a bus, with a melt down and intolerant passengers. No way to know, who will be on the bus. :)

I have personally been on a bus, with a clueless parent allowing a toddler tantrum. It went on with the parents doing nothing. There was an irate passenger who, did kind of tell them off, but- it was the bus driver who "solved" the issue. The bus pulled over- turned around- and so did everyone on the bus- and said, you need to get off the bus, your child is saying so (or similar). People were clapping as the bus pulled away.

Thanks for the description of the shrine at Juneau, now that really sounds like something my daughter will enjoy! We'll check out the state museum and the red dog saloon and maybe the tram too if it's a clear day.

I forgot to mention that when you leave the Mendenhall area, turn right and continue until you see a small sign indicating the University of Alaska. Go in there and you will see a small, log chapel (there's now a big church by it). It's really a lovely tourist stop. Go inside and you will see a GORGEOUS VIEW of the lake and mountains. It's just a stop I enjoy.

We do plan to drive to Emerald Lake too but I've read that it's better to drive out as soon as possible to beat the tour buses. Where did u get the snack/lunch? Are there a lot of mosquitoes at the lake?

I took those little "boxes" that have a small can of either tuna or chicken salad and some crackers in them for a snack. On the west coast they're a Bumble Bee product. There's way more of the protein so I took extra crackers. It goes a long way. I like to pack that sort of thing for day trips cuz I don't want to waste time in a restaurant. AND, it leaves room for souvenirs on the way home. You can take a small folding "cooler bag" if you want drinks and stop at the ONLY grocery store in Skagway before heading north. They may have sandwiches for sale............not sure.

Last year we rented a Green Jeep and that was fun. He recommended we buy sandwiches at the place where the Tour Buses stop for lunch. Yes, they DID have sandwiches............maybe two ounces of meat on thin white bread with mayo. That was IT. So glad I had those little boxes. I usually take some dried fruit as well.

We did get ice cream cones there............and, there's another place on the right side of the hiway when you're heading back to Skagway that has ice cream BUT, if the tour buses are there it's a LONG line.

I've never experienced mosquitos at the lake............maybe too much breeze; I don't know.

You are cautioned to not take food from the ship. We never do but I see some people with fruit and cookies from the ship.

Besides these snacks, I pack a couple of empty water bottles (again, room for things I buy)..........we fill them in the buffet and avoid buying bottles of water the ship sells at each port.

We're really keen on doing the Kenai Fjord tour at Seward but I've read that it's really rough and many ppl got seasick. Don't think we'll be doing that especially with my 3 year old around. How long did u spend at the Sealife Center? Can u recommend a hiking trail at Exit Glacier? How far is it to walk to the face of it?

Exit Glacier even has a little place to go inside now; it's a National Park Service site (bathrooms) and they sell books and postcards of the area.

The "trail" starts out as pavement...............goes a long way like that. The Park Service employees give talks and guided walks several times a day. I don't know about the walk to the face now; it has receeded a great deal and last year I was unable to hike, so I waited for friends. It's not like an hour...............short.

I've not had rough times on the boat rides, but then if it's raining and rough I don't go.............hard to plan.

Little kids love many things about the Aquarium. For one, you can view many things from the top and then go down a floor and watch them "face to face." (Big sea lions, etc.)

I LOVE going outside on the first floor and watching the MANY kinds of birds (puffins :-) ) and then going downstairs and watching them as they dive. It's fascinating to see the air pocket surrounding them as they dive. Kids like that view, too.

It's a training place for people looking toward a career in animal life; last year they had two baby walruses that had been rescued. By baby, I mean they were over 200 lbs!! We saw them on TV when they had healed and were headed to two separate zoos in the Lower 48, that wanted them.

They have touching pools for kids as well.................and activity boards, etc. ..................even a "boat" they can do things on.

HAVE A GRAND TIME!!

I've discussed with my hubby and we've decided to reserve the shuttle tickets first. We'll see whether my daughter is up to it, if not we'll just let my mom and my sis to go without us. If we really have to stop at the rest area, will it be take very long to get 3 seats to go back to the visitor center?

Please tell us how you got a great rate on an Avis rental out of Whittier? I sure can't see how you are getting a car for less than shuttle cost which can be had for $150 for 5 (NOT the cruise ship transfer-a private shuttle).

Drop fee alone is usually $125. PLUS the rental. So if you got better than that, please share your secret.

I haven't bought any coupon book because I haven't decided on what excursions to take. Anyway the rate that I got is $160 for intermediate SUV, one day, pick up at Whittier and drop off at ANC. There's no drop off fees but it only works on intermediate SUV.

Archived