Over 50 and save 5%

caseythegr

Has anyone else heard of this? I thought the age was 55, but when I was talking with my PCC he told me it was 50! We sailed the Dawn this past February, which we booked through NCL, and we did not receive this discount.

Any thoughts?

Possibly making reference to the AARP membership discount on NCL sailings. Usually 5%, and occasionally a promotion of 10%.

But neither AARP nor NCL give a true vision of this collaboration for cruise discount in their respective text. It's definitely NOT fully what it seems in print.

To get the AARP discount I think you must book at least 9 mos. in advance.

Officially, maybe. But I routinely enter the AARP discount code into the NCL.com booking engine and it ALWAYS brings down the base fare by the 5%. It was just doing it this last week for our TA, with less than 4 weeks to go. But sometimes it ONLY brings the fare down 5%, even during a 10% promotion.

wqe used the AARP discount on our upcoming cruise as GF just turned 50:eek:

We got the 10% discount and lots of OBC.... It was better than my Military rate

I think AARP is the 5% and AARP1 is the 10% code.

I've gotten to take advantage of these when traveling with my MIL. I have a couple short years to get it myself. I'm no expert on it, but I've seen both codes on recent invoices and I too plug them in when I do a "fake" booking. We don't do suites, but one time thought about it. Couldn't get the $300 OBC offer and aarp discount together, but for the TA in a regular balcony cabin, we got the aarp1 discount and the $100 OBC offer. This was offered a number of months back and on the fall TA. not sure what's out there exactly today

and the AARP discount, like most others, is only on the base fare, not including taxes and fees.

. . . and only on one fare if traveling solo and paying 200%.

Once the non-commissionable fees, and the second half of the fare, are subtracted, a solo passenger can easily find themselves receiving a discount of less than 2% of amount paid.

Officially, maybe. But I routinely enter the AARP discount code into the NCL.com booking engine and it ALWAYS brings down the base fare by the 5%. It was just doing it this last week for our TA, with less than 4 weeks to go. But sometimes it ONLY brings the fare down 5%, even during a 10% promotion.

Never works for me. Perhaps it is only certain sailings?

Was not combinable with the Amex special we used and since we would have had to pay 2 years of AARP dues not worth it at the time.

I thought the age was 55 too. Maybe they are talking about the AARP credit if you have a card. You can get the AARP at the young age of 50.

Thanks for this. I previously thought you had to be 55 to join AARP.

Up until a few years ago, NCL used to just offer a discount if you were 55 or over. They do not offer that discount anymore.

However, they do have 2 different discounts for members of AARP. One discount is on any cruise booked 9 months in advance. The other AARP discount is on select sailings, and does not necessarily have to be 9 months in advance. To be a member of AARP, you or your spouse has to be at least 49.5 years of age.

The same works with Military and Latitudes discounts. In the past, Military and Latitudes discounts were pretty much on any sailing. Now those discounts are on select sailings only.

I have never gotten the AARP1 code to work, but the AARP code has worked for us. We booked the Breakaway OX category for an OV cabin - the price was $899 the AARP rate was $862. So while it wasn't the full 5% it was close. It was working still for our sailing until yesterday. Now it says the fare code is no longer valid. What is interesting is that yesterday it also posted the AARP1 code and that one I have never gotten to work and it didn't work when I put it in to check the sailing today.

Someone in the cabin has to be an AARP member and they take the member number when you make the reservation.

While I am happy on principle to forgo the discounts because I refuse to be a member of AARP are any of the other organizations like AMAC , ASA or GenerationAmerica members getting similar discount? GenA lists six cruiselines with discounts or OBC as a sample but not NCL specifically.

I wish I had heard of this earlier.

Do you need this code at the time of booking to get the discount? We have a fully paid May 2013 cruise. Do you think if I call them with my hubby's AARP# they would be able to do anything?

Do I need an AARP number or just be over 50?

I booked with an online TA, booked an OC fare but received a free upgrade to BC and got $100 OBC. I have 2 cabins, one for me and the family (hubby and I are over 50) and the other for my parents, who are AARP members.

Since we booked with an online TA at a free upgrade rate with OBC, can we (or my Dad who is an AARP member) get the discount?

Archived