!!! SILHOUETTE !!! Western Caribbean- The Ultimate Review & Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

Excellent review, I got to relive my cruise through your wonderful photographs.

Thank you.

Having sailedAllure last year and Silli two weeks agree I must say your comparisons are spot on. The only area I would expand on is Braekfast which was all around better on the Silhoutte and was our only disapointment with Allure. The selections and quality offered from the MDR, buffet and room service were fantastic.

I agree as well with the TV options lacking on X.

Thanks for your wonderful review

Nice to see that we agree on most points, I have to give to X their food is just great. We really enjoyed all the dinning options the ship has to offer. The TV was a complete mess, I really wished they improved on it.

Thank you gambled for another 5 star review, looking forward to the next one. Your also helping me to spend my money ;) Im now the proud owner of a new weather radio that came today. Looks just like yours :D

lol, that little radio is a lot of fun at home, but we never managed to get a signal out there. Although to be honest I think we only tried it on sea days, you might have better luck near port of call. Thank you for reading this review as well :)

we just got off the celebrity eclipse on April 6 and I purchased that little bag on the right for my cousins birthday. It really is nice. I am reading through your review now as we are thinking of taking the Silhouette in January. wonderful pics!

Thank you.

I imagine the experience on the Silhouette should be very similar to the one in the Eclipse.

Gambee,

You have no idea how many times my Wife and I mentioned your name on our recent cruise. I boarded the Allure when your were disembarking the Silhouette and remember remarking to my Wife how much reading your review would ease the holiday blues when I got home. I will be going back to the start and following along with interest as and when I can :-)

So I am guessing you had a good time in the Allure? Glad to see you around this side of the forum reading my review, thank you for stopping by and also for mentioning my mane aboard the Allure ;)

DSC04108_zpsbccb58c5.jpg

After Karaoke we decided to head to the room and call it a night, it had been a very long day and we were beat. We had a great time in Grand Cayman, I got to hold a turtle how cool is that?!?!?! But the funny thing is that the Best port of this trip had yet to come, how much better could it get? Well my friends, it can get much better :)

I took this picture just before heading to bed

DSC04109_zps31b89d7b.jpg

We had hope for better weather for Jamaica. Gambee had big plans for Jamaica!

Day 4, Finished!

I am exhausted... :D

I am so glad that you went and checked on your mom. Thank God she was okay, but I do hope they get that fixed. That's not good.

DSC04155_zpsd1e57540.jpg

Passing so close….

DSC04156_zpsffd06b49.jpg

Getting closer.

DSC04157_zps223daf53.jpg

Now further, nah just messing with you'all =)

DSC04158_zps5e64844a.jpg

DSC04159_zpseabcd923.jpg

DSC04160_zpsd6103fb5.jpg

It's amazing how close they do get to the sand bars. The pilots and Captains are so good at what they do. Just think of a ship running aground, I mean they are really that close, wow!

DSC01125_zps2a235f40.jpg

I was in the water for about 5 minutes and then something rubbed on my leg, I could not tell what it was as the water was very murky. I could of been a fish or even algae, but being the scary cat that I am with the ocean…. well I will let this picture interpret how I got out of the water :D

24640_10200325114841972_1509171838_n.jpg

Yeah.. that was me getting out!

After I had calmed down from my near death experience I found a nice place to sit and expose my skin to some cancerous sun rays :D

DSC01134_zps61391a9e.jpg

HAHAHAHA...that was great. I love the picture you posted, it's a picture worth a thousand words. I'm guessing it was only a fish that brushed your leg, so you can relax.:D

Soon enough you start seeing all these little rafts with fishermen. Something that impacted me is how far they go away from shore, not only that but in a cloudy day like this one you could barely see land and at times you could not even see it. Vey scary.

My neighbor was of course blabbering aloud of how stupid these people were and what would make them go all the way out there for nothing. Apparently she has zero knowledge that some very unfortunate people go to extreme measures just to survive, instead she accused them of being stupid, while in the meantime she yelled across the balconies to see where her friend were going to go for breakfast…. The irony….

anyway,

DSC04399_zps2022cd60.jpg

DSC04377_zps62eb5642.jpg

DSC04382_zps9cc22fd7.jpg

DSC04384_zps09b5861c.jpg

DSC04386_zps455d29e1.jpg

DSC04391_zpsb429ee34.jpg

It goes to show you how ignorant people can be. As you stated, these people go to the extreme to feed their family, and yet, she's going to breakfast. How dare she call someone stupid without even knowing their situation. As Americans we are so spoiled.

:D I could not resist. I think I am going to start a collection of all the ships I sail. I will have to find a way of getting the Allure one and the Sky one as well. Beth if you end up going on the sky could you do that favor for me? I could paypal you the cash for it :)

Gambee- if you can wait until Jan 2014 I can get you Allure?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

And yes, I join the legion of fans who love your photos and writing style!! I have been down with a cold all week but totally entertained by "Gambee and Mom Go On A Cruise!!!" It made me nostalgic about our Summit cruise a few years back. I enjoyed it very much, but like you, I ranked the Oasis higher in many categories - except for our cabin. We had a family aft balcony on the Summit. The balcony was amazing- sail away - perfect- both sun and shade- lots of space and loungers for 4.... You will love your aft balcony on Breakaway! The photo opportunities.....

Thank you...

And as an aside did get to make my Breakaway reservations for dining and shows today! Yes! Thanks for the support! While I don't EVER want to wish anyone's cruise to fly by... I am SO looking forward to your review... And my 16 year old is so hoping you will provide the teen schedule in your daily postings... Do I ask too much????

Hugs to Mom.

I am so glad that you went and checked on your mom. Thank God she was okay, but I do hope they get that fixed. That's not good.

Yeah I could only imagine if someone goes in there without telling anyone and then they stay locked in there.

It's amazing how close they do get to the sand bars. The pilots and Captains are so good at what they do. Just think of a ship running aground, I mean they are really that close, wow!

It was crazy close, last time on the Allure it felt even closer, I guess because of the size.

HAHAHAHA...that was great. I love the picture you posted, it's a picture worth a thousand words. I'm guessing it was only a fish that brushed your leg, so you can relax.:D

Actually I think it was only seaweed :D, I am a wuz in the ocean.

It goes to show you how ignorant people can be. As you stated, these people go to the extreme to feed their family, and yet, she's going to breakfast. How dare she call someone stupid without even knowing their situation. As Americans we are so spoiled.

Till this day I remember how annoying, loud and ignorant that family was. Hopefully ill never get anything like that ever again (nock on wood).

:D I could not resist. I think I am going to start a collection of all the ships I sail. I will have to find a way of getting the Allure one and the Sky one as well. Beth if you end up going on the sky could you do that favor for me? I could paypal you the cash for it :)

Gambee- if you can wait until Jan 2014 I can get you Allure?

Thank so much for the offer, but swim already offered. Mom will be getting the one in the Sky since she will be aboard in september, so I have my collection :)

And yes, I join the legion of fans who love your photos and writing style!! I have been down with a cold all week but totally entertained by "Gambee and Mom Go On A Cruise!!!" It made me nostalgic about our Summit cruise a few years back. I enjoyed it very much, but like you, I ranked the Oasis higher in many categories - except for our cabin. We had a family aft balcony on the Summit. The balcony was amazing- sail away - perfect- both sun and shade- lots of space and loungers for 4.... You will love your aft balcony on Breakaway! The photo opportunities.....

Thank you...

And as an aside did get to make my Breakaway reservations for dining and shows today! Yes! Thanks for the support! While I don't EVER want to wish anyone's cruise to fly by... I am SO looking forward to your review... And my 16 year old is so hoping you will provide the teen schedule in your daily postings... Do I ask too much????

Hugs to Mom.

We are really excited for the aft balcony on breakaway, can't wait. I am happy that you managed to get all the reservations done, I did as well they finally added the missing day in our cruise so it all seems to be good. I am hoping that they add the option for blue and I am set to go.

I will go to the teen area on day one and I usually get all the papers from there. I did not get all of the other daily ones, I guess I could try asking my cabin steward for them and see if he delivers. I am not sure if they give it to the people that dont have kids, but ill ask.

Spoiler, I been working on the pre section of the Breakaway cruise for a long time. There will be some good information in it for Bermuda.

Thank you Gambee for offering to help! My daughter will be delighted. She is not bringing a friend on this family cruise, so she will be excited to know what's in store for the 16 year olds so that she can plan when or if to see shows and have dinner with us - or not- around the club activities.... She gets that from her Mother!

So, back at you- my offer- I've cruised to Bermuda twice- happy to help with any of your intro work!! Questions? Want bad pictures?opinions? Shoot me an email!

Thank you Gambee for offering to help! My daughter will be delighted. She is not bringing a friend on this family cruise, so she will be excited to know what's in store for the 16 year olds so that she can plan when or if to see shows and have dinner with us - or not- around the club activities.... She gets that from her Mother!

So, back at you- my offer- I've cruised to Bermuda twice- happy to help with any of your intro work!! Questions? Want bad pictures?opinions? Shoot me an email!

We will see hopefully my steward manages to get them, I will ask you to please send me an email reminding me to ask for them. I ideally the day of the cruise at around noon, there is a chance ill forget. I try talking notes of everything that I need to experience and do, but sometimes things escape from it.

Well for bermuda, I don't want to over plan. But one question, do you think I can do Tobacco bay, the fort, the caves and the aquarium in one day? I would really like if this was manageable that way, I had the other two days the hit only beaches and dockyard.

We will see hopefully my steward manages to get them, I will ask you to please send me an email reminding me to ask for them. I ideally the day of the cruise at around noon, there is a chance ill forget. I try talking notes of everything that I need to experience and do, but sometimes things escape from it.

Well for bermuda, I don't want to over plan. But one question, do you think I can do Tobacco bay, the fort, the caves and the aquarium in one day? I would really like if this was manageable that way, I had the other two days the hit only beaches and dockyard.

Well, you could... But that's a lot of back and forth . Transportation in Bermuda takes a while. But I think it would be better to do a st George's day take the first ferry to st George the rest of st George is walkable- go to Tobacco Bay, see the lovely town, go to the unfinished church, Tobacco Bay the fort then St. Catherine's Beach. That would be a nice day. Then spend the rest of your time in Hamilton - the aquarium is closer to Hamilton if i am recalling correctly- we have not been there. Do the Hamilton beaches day two. Horseshoe Bay is very nice and great for pictures- but will be crowded. Our fav is Warwick Long Bay - but no facilities or rentals there, so its not for everyone. was thinking of trying Elbow Beach this trip for something new. Maybe Do caves morning of day three ?

Well, you could... But that's a lot of back and forth . Transportation in Bermuda takes a while. But I think it would be better to do a st George's day take the first ferry to st George the rest of st George is walkable- go to Tobacco Bay, see the lovely town, go to the unfinished church, Tobacco Bay the fort then St. Catherine's Beach. That would be a nice day. Then spend the rest of your time in Hamilton - the aquarium is closer to Hamilton if i am recalling correctly- we have not been there. Do the Hamilton beaches day two. Horseshoe Bay is very nice and great for pictures- but will be crowded. Our fav is Warwick Long Bay - but no facilities or rentals there, so its not for everyone. was thinking of trying Elbow Beach this trip for something new. Maybe Do caves morning of day three ?

Gambee,

We did the caves and I don't think they're far from St. George. Look on a map - if it's close to St. George, you might want to do them on the St. George Day. I'd spend the last day there at the Dockyard. 2nd day nothing but beaches........LOL

Patty

Gambee, have just finished the review it is absolutely FANTASTIC! I wish you sunny skies and warm weather in Bermuda. I can't wait until you are able to cruise the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. St. Maarten is truly a jewel...so much to do there and St. Thomas is awesome as well.

My husband and I just returned from the Celebrity Reflection 2 months ago. A wonderful ship. I agree with you... so much to do on Oasis/Allure, but I LOVE the calm and beauty of the S class ships.

You are a true gem! Thank you so very much for your wonderful reviews! Keep them coming!

Thanks so much for your wonderful reviews. I have really enjoyed both of them and appreciate the time and effort you have put in putting it all together. They are a fantastic guide for anyone who is contemplating a cruise, especially a first one! I look forward to your next review and wish you and your mum all the best for your future travel. :)

Thanks for the info, I really want to stay near the ship on day 3 since it will be a national holiday and transportation will be a mess. I will get up early on day one and see if I can kick everything out of the way on that day and then relax the other two days. But then again most of the time I over plan, it never ends up being that way.

Gambee,

We did the caves and I don't think they're far from St. George. Look on a map - if it's close to St. George, you might want to do them on the St. George Day. I'd spend the last day there at the Dockyard. 2nd day nothing but beaches........LOL

Patty

Seems, like we I am planning a somewhat similar itinerary as you did, hopefully it all goes as planned.

Gambee, have just finished the review it is absolutely FANTASTIC! I wish you sunny skies and warm weather in Bermuda. I can't wait until you are able to cruise the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. St. Maarten is truly a jewel...so much to do there and St. Thomas is awesome as well.

My husband and I just returned from the Celebrity Reflection 2 months ago. A wonderful ship. I agree with you... so much to do on Oasis/Allure, but I LOVE the calm and beauty of the S class ships.

You are a true gem! Thank you so very much for your wonderful reviews! Keep them coming!

Thank you glad you liked this review as well, we also looking forward into sailing the eastern Caribbean. I just can't seem to decide which ship to do it in, I am really interested in Getaway but the prices are just really high and given that the ship will be in my backyard year round I think it can wait, maybe in Royal Princess.

Thanks so much for your wonderful reviews. I have really enjoyed both of them and appreciate the time and effort you have put in putting it all together. They are a fantastic guide for anyone who is contemplating a cruise, especially a first one! I look forward to your next review and wish you and your mum all the best for your future travel. :)

Thank you, I think this first set of reviews are geared towards new travelers since that is who we are. But as time goes by they might change into a more seasoned cruiser, who knows they might even get better :).

Thank you for stopping by :)

OK my friends, now I need sometime to unwind and start scanning documents. I also have to work today so I think that is all I will post for today. I will do another set tomorrow and on tuesday I will go full blast and try to get some really good stuff posted :D.

Gambee,

Your pictorial reviews are wonderful! While my DH and I love them, we hope that you are enjoying your time on the ship as your reviews and pictures must be taking time from your cruise! We will be on the Silhouette and the Allure Jan 2014. No Breakaway plans for now.

Gambee,

Your pictorial reviews are wonderful! While my DH and I love them, we hope that you are enjoying your time on the ship as your reviews and pictures must be taking time from your cruise! We will be on the Silhouette and the Allure Jan 2014. No Breakaway plans for now.

Yeah we always have a good time, I do most of the notes when I am just lounging and doing nothing and the picture taking is part of any trip land based or cruising. It is pretty funny that you will cruising both of the ships that I reviewed :D, have a great cruise, I imagine that is a B2B.

Gambee, A suggestion: Do not try to do everything on your first trip to Bermuda. The caves are around the corner from the Swizzle Inn. We took the ferry to St. Georges then a bus to the Swizzle Inn for lunch (expensive but good). Then you could walk to the Caves then grab a bus back to Hamilton and then the ferry back to the dockyard.

BTW, I loved your reviews. Your pictures are fantastic (felt like I was back on the ship) and you write better than I do. The maps are easy to understand and asking is always a good thing about which bus to take.

I have been to Bermuda three times and still haven't seen everything. I am not a beach person, but did do HorseShoe Bay the first time.

If you plan on staying at the Dockyard on Day three, buy a two day transportation pass. You buy them right when you get off the ship.

Gambee, A suggestion: Do not try to do everything on your first trip to Bermuda. The caves are around the corner from the Swizzle Inn. We took the ferry to St. Georges then a bus to the Swizzle Inn for lunch (expensive but good). Then you could walk to the Caves then grab a bus back to Hamilton and then the ferry back to the dockyard.

BTW, I loved your reviews. Your pictures are fantastic (felt like I was back on the ship) and you write better than I do. The maps are easy to understand and asking is always a good thing about which bus to take.

I have been to Bermuda three times and still haven't seen everything. I am not a beach person, but did do HorseShoe Bay the first time.

If you plan on staying at the Dockyard on Day three, buy a two day transportation pass. You buy them right when you get off the ship.

Thank you for your advice, I was not aware that they sold the 2 day pass. I thought it was 1 or 3 day passes, I will certainly look into it. I guess you're right, we will be going to Bermuda again at some point aboard Quantum, so I guess leaving stuff to do for that time would be a good Idea. I guess I could leave the caves for that time, I really want to go to the aquarium, I love fish!

Once again thank you, I really had not thought of that.

Here is one of my favorite NY pictures, while not taken with my NEX camera, it was still taken with my favorite point and shoot camera.

DSC00799_zps2ebd7968.jpg

Please share - what is your favorite point and shoot camera?

Yeah we always have a good time, I do most of the notes when I am just lounging and doing nothing and the picture taking is part of any trip land based or cruising. It is pretty funny that you will cruising both of the ships that I reviewed :D, have a great cruise, I imagine that is a B2B.[/

A modified back to back! First week Silhouette next week Allure. As you well know, two different types of adventures, but we enjoy both!

Yeah we always have a good time, I do most of the notes when I am just lounging and doing nothing and the picture taking is part of any trip land based or cruising. It is pretty funny that you will cruising both of the ships that I reviewed :D, have a great cruise, I imagine that is a B2B.[/

A modified back to back! First week Silhouette next week Allure. As you well know, two different types of adventures, but we enjoy both!

Cruise A Holic ... I was just going to ask where is Jericho, NY? And when were you going to be on the Silhouette ... as our group "CruiseAholics" is going on 3/9/14. Guess you won't be with us though ....

Cruise A Holic ... I was just going to ask where is Jericho, NY? And when were you going to be on the Silhouette ... as our group "CruiseAholics" is going on 3/9/14. Guess you won't be with us though ....

Hi Rupertfrog,

I guess somebody uses my tag but spells it differently- We will be on the Silhouette Jan 5, 2014 and March 23, 2014.

Edited by Cruise a holic