!!! SILHOUETTE !!! Western Caribbean- The Ultimate Review & Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

Gambee & Mom ...

Thank you for taking us along on your Silhouette cruise. The review was great & your pictures are PRICELESS.

We'll be cruising this itinerary in March with dwdwnurse, dananna & grammaof8 .... and several others who are sure to be visiting your review/pictures.

Is there a link to just review your pictures ... would love to do that pre-cruise in March 2014? That way I'd be able to check & note the places of personal interest.

It has been great & again THANK YOU!

Edited by rupertfrog

Here is one of my favorite NY pictures, while not taken with my NEX camera, it was still taken with my favorite point and shoot camera.

DSC00799_zps2ebd7968.jpg

How awesome is this picture...........:cool: Where were you when you took it? When we sailed out of New York, I took, what I thought was a fantastic picture of the Twin Towers while sailing down the Hudson. Anyway, the picture was taken 9 days before 9/11/2001. On the way back into NY, I took one of the Towers before dawn, just 2 days before 9/11. When I heard about the attack, I hadn't even realized that I had such pictures. I used a camera that actually took film..:p When I got them developed, I had to make about 30+ copies for friends and co-workers. To this day, I have those pictures hanging up on a wall. Just a reminder of how fast things can change.

Thanks for posting this picture. Just awesome.

Gwen :)

TWINTOWERS-1.jpg

Here is the picture I took of the Twin Towers on Sept.2, 2001 while sailing down the Hudson on the NCL Norwegian Sea (an old ship). It is not good quality because it is a picture of a picture. Didn't have a digital camera until much later. Sorry it is so big. Don't know how to make it smaller.

Simple I never put it in a bag :D, either I am wearing it or I carry it in a plastic bag with me. That is why I am only traveling with one fedora now, I am looking into buying a white one but have yet to find one that I like.

Thaaaaat makes sense! :D Thanks! And that's a toughie...I actually found a couple good ones at overstock.com! :)

That photo is amazing! I love the red in the horizon and the "life" of the city at night. Such contrast

I am glad you will take some shots of your pre-cruise area but don't want you to feel you have to do a tour of NYC, this is your vacation after all.

We all have seen what you can do with your cameras, having some "beauty" shots of time sq and the city will be wonderful.

Bill

I have spent the entire afternoon...and some of the evening since I just noticed it's dark outside....reading and enjoying your fabulous review!! Thank you so much for taking all the time to do it. I loved your writing and the pictures and video were 1st rate.

Now I have to head over and read your review of the Allure :p

Thanks again. I feel like I've been on a little mini cruise (but without the weight gain from all those great cocktails and food!!

By chance Gambee, were you on the "Top of the Rock" when you took that picture?!

NY is very photogenic, would love to see more of it through your camera! :) Have you ever been to Central Park? (the real one! :D) I would highly suggest going to the 5th Ave Apple store if you haven't! The Plaza Hotel across the street is also very iconic.

Okay the list goes on and i'll stop while I'm ahead of myself, sorry Gambee! :p

Gwen - thank you for your photo of the Twin Towers. I know someone who worked there and had visited co workers a few days before 9/11. I never got to see the buildings in real life so pictures are the only thing I have...I was young back then and it's literally the only thing I remember when I was 6. Great photo.

Gambee, I highly advise you go to the memorial site! The Freedom Tower is looking great and I would love to see some more pictures of the two pools where the towers once stood. I bet dedicating a post about visiting the new WTC site would be greatly appreciated in your report! :)

Edited by swim13

DSC00837_zps9bc9b7a1.jpg

So I have to say... Great minds think alike???? Totally forgot that you had posted this back in the early days of the review - here is a few of the things I have in my cruise box LMAO... and no i'm not that paranoid - LED headlamp is for reading the Kindle in bed but can come in handy if i'm stranded for days in the pacific ocean next month

ebezu2ug.jpg

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

Edited by Beth C

What a gorgeous picture!!!!! OMG, NY is one of my favorite places to visit for the day! Love Broadway plays and love to just sit in Times Square and people watch! I hop a train and off I go!!! I certainly would appreciate any NY photos that you take............wouldn't bore me at all!!!

Patty

I guess I will have to add NY to the review, I was thinking on walking around a little and exploring new parts of the city. My friend is trying to convince me to go to Brooklyn and see the cherry blossoms, any thought about that?

Gambee & Mom ...

Thank you for taking us along on your Silhouette cruise. The review was great & your pictures are PRICELESS.

We'll be cruising this itinerary in March with dwdwnurse, dananna & grammaof8 .... and several others who are sure to be visiting your review/pictures.

Is there a link to just review your pictures ... would love to do that pre-cruise in March 2014? That way I'd be able to check & note the places of personal interest.

It has been great & again THANK YOU!

The issue is that my pictures are scattered in lots of albums, if you don't mind jumping around folders,

Here is one folder, I am having issues accessing my other account. Once I get it done I will post the link

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/Gambee/library/?sort=3&page=1

How awesome is this picture...........:cool: Where were you when you took it? When we sailed out of New York, I took, what I thought was a fantastic picture of the Twin Towers while sailing down the Hudson. Anyway, the picture was taken 9 days before 9/11/2001. On the way back into NY, I took one of the Towers before dawn, just 2 days before 9/11. When I heard about the attack, I hadn't even realized that I had such pictures. I used a camera that actually took film..:p When I got them developed, I had to make about 30+ copies for friends and co-workers. To this day, I have those pictures hanging up on a wall. Just a reminder of how fast things can change.

Thanks for posting this picture. Just awesome.

The picture was taken from the top of the rock, I stayed there for 2 hours just to get the sunset, my bf wanted to kill me :D.

I can't wait to sail out of NY, a shame that the twin towers are gone, they will forever be in our hearts. Mom wanted to go see the freedom tower, but I told her that we will have a great view of from the ship.

I wouldn't object to seeing New York pictures, either! Anything you want to post I'll be happy to look at.:D

Heather

Thank you Heather, another vote, I think NY day is :)

TWINTOWERS-1.jpg

Here is the picture I took of the Twin Towers on Sept.2, 2001 while sailing down the Hudson on the NCL Norwegian Sea (an old ship). It is not good quality because it is a picture of a picture. Didn't have a digital camera until much later. Sorry it is so big. Don't know how to make it smaller.

Awesome picture thanks for sharing! I never got to see the twin towers in person.

Thaaaaat makes sense! :D Thanks! And that's a toughie...I actually found a couple good ones at overstock.com! :)

OMG, you just made me buy a brand new fedora for my breakaway trip. A white one, it should be great for the white party, can't wait for it to get here!

That photo is amazing! I love the red in the horizon and the "life" of the city at night. Such contrast

I am glad you will take some shots of your pre-cruise area but don't want you to feel you have to do a tour of NYC, this is your vacation after all.

We all have seen what you can do with your cameras, having some "beauty" shots of time sq and the city will be wonderful.

Bill

I wont do a tour of NY, but I can document what I do in NY that day just like I document everything while I am onboard. Glad you enjoyed that picture, she is one of my favorite ones, that was taken right before I went crazy with cameras.

I have spent the entire afternoon...and some of the evening since I just noticed it's dark outside....reading and enjoying your fabulous review!! Thank you so much for taking all the time to do it. I loved your writing and the pictures and video were 1st rate.

Now I have to head over and read your review of the Allure :p

Thanks again. I feel like I've been on a little mini cruise (but without the weight gain from all those great cocktails and food!!

Glad you like it, I am sure you will also love the Allure one as it is pretty much the same format but just in a different ship.

Also thank you for the video comment, I really think that videos are not my strong hold.

By chance Gambee, were you on the "Top of the Rock" when you took that picture?!

NY is very photogenic, would love to see more of it through your camera! :) Have you ever been to Central Park? (the real one! :D) I would highly suggest going to the 5th Ave Apple store if you haven't! The Plaza Hotel across the street is also very iconic.

Okay the list goes on and i'll stop while I'm ahead of myself, sorry Gambee! :p

Gwen - thank you for your photo of the Twin Towers. I know someone who worked there and had visited co workers a few days before 9/11. I never got to see the buildings in real life so pictures are the only thing I have...I was young back then and it's literally the only thing I remember when I was 6. Great photo.

Gambee, I highly advise you go to the memorial site! The Freedom Tower is looking great and I would love to see some more pictures of the two pools where the towers once stood. I bet dedicating a post about visiting the new WTC site would be greatly appreciated in your report! :)

Yup top of the rock. I have been to central park numerous times as well as the Apple store and all the shebang. That is why we really don't know what to do this time, one thing is for sure, I do not want to spend much money that day.

I will have to really think about going to the WTC, mom wants to go, but it is too far away and I really did not want to go all the way there. If I do happen to go there, then I will have to make a pit stop and get my favorite soup dumplings in China town. It is still to early to tell, but I definitely love the idea about dedicating one post to the WTC.

Here is one picture that I took about a year ago,

P1090902_zps22fc6d85.jpg

I will think about it, I think one has to get tickets in advance to get in, right? ill look into it.

So I have to say... Great minds think alike???? Totally forgot that you had posted this back in the early days of the review - here is a few of the things I have in my cruise box LMAO... and no i'm not that paranoid - LED headlamp is for reading the Kindle in bed but can come in handy if i'm stranded for days in the pacific ocean next month

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

jajaja, too funny :D!

I will think about it, I think one has to get tickets in advance to get in, right? ill look into it.

Yes, as far as I know you have to reserve tickets online (or by phone) and bring a $2 per ticket for a service fee. They do it so they can control crowds and make it more secure. But you are right, if it's really out of your way you will have a terrific view of the Freedom Tower from the ship!

And BTW your friend had a good suggestion about going to Brooklyn. And what about Coney Island (for the famous amusement park) or Battery Park?

I guess I will have to add NY to the review, I was thinking on walking around a little and exploring new parts of the city. My friend is trying to convince me to go to Brooklyn and see the cherry blossoms, any thought about that?

If you're thinking of seeing the Cherry Blossoms in the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens - DO IT!!!!!!!!

They, as well as the whole Botanical Gardens are SO, SO beautiful!!!!!!

I hope you're going soon, though. Our daughter (who lives there) called us last night and said she went to see them yesterday and they're in bloom.

Edited by chamima

TWINTOWERS-1.jpg

Gwen if you'd be willing to share a copy of the picture with the Towers please send me an email so we can discuss it. jfarrelljr at nycap dot rr dot com Thank you for sharing ... the skyline sure looks different now.

The issue is that my pictures are scattered in lots of albums, if you don't mind jumping around folders,

Here is one folder, I am having issues accessing my other account. Once I get it done I will post the link

The picture was taken from the top of the rock, I stayed there for 2 hours just to get the sunset, my bf wanted to kill me :D.

I can't wait to sail out of NY, a shame that the twin towers are gone, they will forever be in our hearts. Mom wanted to go see the freedom tower, but I told her that we will have a great view of from the ship.

Gambee ... that link worked well. I LOVE your pictures!! If you have an additional link to share feel free to send it to my email jfarrelljr at nycap dot rr dot com

That sunset picture of NYC was certainly worth the wait!! I haven't seen one like that .... I'm usually street level or in a room of a high rise building & miss that view. NYC is a great place to visit ... so much to do & see.

The Cherry Blossoms in Brooklyn are absolutely beautiful. Living in Florida I think you & your mom will love them considering your friend will be your guide to a wonderful tour of New York.

Looking forward to traveling with you Gambee!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambee! It took a while, but I made it to the end! This review was amazing - another 5-star review in my book! I absolutely love your in-depth look at the ship (both in your Allure review and this one. And your photos are amazing. You have me really wanting a NEX-3! I'm thinking that's officially going to be my next big purchase after I save up a little bit.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this amazing glimpse into your vacation. It really helped me live vicariously through you. I can't wait to read your next one!

Having sailedAllure last year and Silli two weeks agree I must say your comparisons are spot on. The only area I would expand on is Braekfast which was all around better on the Silhoutte and was our only disapointment with Allure. The selections and quality offered from the MDR, buffet and room service were fantastic.

I agree as well with the TV options lacking on X.

Thanks for your wonderful review

Wow awesome start! We also love the W hotels and agree X reminds us of them :)

I have a serious question for you... how the heck do you have the time to write such an amazing review? :D;)

It took me months to complete my review :eek: I work full time, grad school full time, and planning a wedding. I need to know your secret! :rolleyes:

I struggled between uploading pics, videos, typing in word, transcribing from my paper journal etc. You have it mastered!

You rock! Can't wait to read the rest!

-Ashley

I read your review Ashley and I loved every bit of it. You did a fantastic job. I am loving your review Gambee as well. I really love the pic and how you are putting it all together. Nice job so far.

Thank you gambled for another 5 star review, looking forward to the next one. Your also helping me to spend my money ;) Im now the proud owner of a new weather radio that came today. Looks just like yours :D

DSC01490_zps5483e207.jpg

we just got off the celebrity eclipse on April 6 and I purchased that little bag on the right for my cousins birthday. It really is nice. I am reading through your review now as we are thinking of taking the Silhouette in January. wonderful pics!

Gambee,

You have no idea how many times my Wife and I mentioned your name on our recent cruise. I boarded the Allure when your were disembarking the Silhouette and remember remarking to my Wife how much reading your review would ease the holiday blues when I got home. I will be going back to the start and following along with interest as and when I can :-)

Yes, as far as I know you have to reserve tickets online (or by phone) and bring a $2 per ticket for a service fee. They do it so they can control crowds and make it more secure. But you are right, if it's really out of your way you will have a terrific view of the Freedom Tower from the ship!

And BTW your friend had a good suggestion about going to Brooklyn. And what about Coney Island (for the famous amusement park) or Battery Park?

I guess I have to get into that, I completely forgot about the reservation. Never been to Coney Island, you have to remember that we have a very limited amount of time in NY, so I have to see how to get the most out of it.

If you're thinking of seeing the Cherry Blossoms in the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens - DO IT!!!!!!!!

They, as well as the whole Botanical Gardens are SO, SO beautiful!!!!!!

I hope you're going soon, though. Our daughter (who lives there) called us last night and said she went to see them yesterday and they're in bloom.

He was talking about the botanical gardens, I am not sure how good they will be on May 18. I guess he will have to keep an eye on it for me.

Gambee ... that link worked well. I LOVE your pictures!! If you have an additional link to share feel free to send it to my email jfarrelljr at nycap dot rr dot com

That sunset picture of NYC was certainly worth the wait!! I haven't seen one like that .... I'm usually street level or in a room of a high rise building & miss that view. NYC is a great place to visit ... so much to do & see.

Glad it worked, I am still working on the other account, photobucket customer service is just horrible.

The Cherry Blossoms in Brooklyn are absolutely beautiful. Living in Florida I think you & your mom will love them considering your friend will be your guide to a wonderful tour of New York.

Looking forward to traveling with you Gambee!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Lindy, we will see how that goes, while I do like flowers I am not passionate about them. I think I much rather go and have some good food in NY, lol.

Gambee! It took a while, but I made it to the end! This review was amazing - another 5-star review in my book! I absolutely love your in-depth look at the ship (both in your Allure review and this one. And your photos are amazing. You have me really wanting a NEX-3! I'm thinking that's officially going to be my next big purchase after I save up a little bit.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this amazing glimpse into your vacation. It really helped me live vicariously through you. I can't wait to read your next one!

You're very welcome, glad you loved both reviews. The nex f3 is a little monster, I have trying to justify getting the nex 6, but I just can't justify the price difference for just a few a features that my camera lacks.

I will see you in my next review :)

Finally caught up....another outstanding review with fantastic pictures!

Now I can't wait for your Breakaway review!!!!

Thank you :), we can't wait for the cruise to be here already.