Dilemma which suite

Mylisa

We are booked on the Silver Whisper on Deck 4. New England, Canada run.

We board in New York and go up to Canada.

Currently we are booked in Cabin 437 which I think would be on the ocean side.

Here is the dilemma. We can switch to the land side but the only cabins available on Deck 4 are 410 - 418. 418 is the most mid ship available but it is across from the laundry.

Any recommendations of whether we should change suites and whether or not being across from the laundry is a problem.

As always thanks in advance for your wisdom and advice.

We are booked on the Silver Whisper on Deck 4. New England, Canada run.

We board in New York and go up to Canada.

Currently we are booked in Cabin 437 which I think would be on the ocean side.

Here is the dilemma. We can switch to the land side but the only cabins available on Deck 4 are 410 - 418. 418 is the most mid ship available but it is across from the laundry.

Any recommendations of whether we should change suites and whether or not being across from the laundry is a problem.

As always thanks in advance for your wisdom and advice.

You are on starboard side. In the British Empire days the upper classes - POSH -- went out to India -- Port Out -- Starboard Home -- traveling south, keeping land in sight on the journey Out -- and returning north Home. To be sure which side is which I use the question: "Is there any port left?" Odd numbered suites are starboard - my preferred. I ALWAYS book starboard and 437 is prime mid-ship. IMO you are extremely lucky. Change and you'll be sorry -- again IMO.

I agree with Dusababy. We are booked in 418 on the Cloud for an upcoming trip. While it is across from the laundry, it is not that close to the door to the laundry room where people tend to congregate. I would opt for a suite farther away from the laundry (I don't believe that midships will make a difference on that deck in terms of the motion of the ship) even if it doesn't have a view of the coast since in most cases the ship will be far enough off shore that you won't be able to see much. IMHO

About half that cruise is within the Gulf of St. Lawrence so you'll have a views for many of the days, including that of Prince Edward Island.

Besides, as Vista passengers, we spend the time we want to sit and look out up in the Observation Lounge where we have a view of port and starboard and forward while we sit and read. And, in the cabin, we keep the tv on the outside camera so we can see if there is a view worth going up to an open deck or the observation lounge to watch.

So the concensus is to stay in suite 437 and not change to the port side for land view? Correct?

By the way does anyone know if there is a door from deck 4 suites directly into the dinning room. Seems like I read somewhere that there was one.

Or do we have to go up a deck and then back down to enter the dinning room?

Thanks to everyone,

There is an unmarked door.

If mobility is an issue, I'd make arrangements with the crew to use that door. Mobility is not an issue for us so we go up and down again, but on rough days, if ill, or when we need to pop back to the cabin to grab something, we let the staff know "we'll be using the 'back door' to go home tonight." It isn't as if we are leaving without paying the bill!

Agree on keeping 437. It's a terrific midship location, THE most stable stateroom on the ship if motion is a concern. And as Kate points out, it's unlikely you'll spend a lot of time in your suite. The Observation and Panorama Lounges offer great, wide views in comfort, as do the outdoor deck areas.

I suspect the port/starboard question is something of a personal preference. Ships often dock along the starboard side, but not always. The side that's tied up provides views ashore, but the "other side" doesn't necessarily look out at the ocean - that view could be of another part of the harbor or other ships. And either way, you'll probably have some time to enjoy the ocean views from your suite when you're under way during daylight hours.

Don't change suites!! Dusababy is right - 437 is a highly desirable location and you'll regret being really forward in 410-418. Let us know what you decide?

Just called TA and told him to leave us in 437.

I think what everyone has said in this thread make perfect sense. In reality you really don't spend that much time in your suite especially if you don't have a balcony.

My sister and her DH are coming along as well and will be on the port side on deck 9 with a balcony. So if I have a pressing desire to sit on a balcony I'll go up to her suite. Otherwise I'll do what ya'll (that's southern for you guys) have all done by going up to the Observation and Panorama Lounges with my kindle.

This is our first cruise with Silverseas and I am looking forward to being pampered.

I'm so tired of the larger ships and being part of the masses of people!!! And I simply refuse to sail on a megaship altogether.

My only concern is that I may love it soooo much that I will have to do it every year! Poor DH!!!

Hooray! Congratulations on booking such a desirable suite. We don't book balcony staterooms and I sometimes wonder if the more expansive wraparound views in the public areas aren't better, anyhow.

Tip: try to spend several daytime hours on the ship once in a while. You and your Kindle will enjoy the peaceful atmosphere (everyone else is off the ship) and you'll experience their great service more fully. As I always say, enjoying the ship and everything it has to offer is what you're paying big $$$ for.

It sounds as if you're really ready for Silversea, and I hope you enjoy every minute.

Archived