Please give tips/suggestions for packing light for italy trains etc

Kidsoftheseas

I am in a bit of a dilemma about suitcases for this (my first) trip to Italy and cruise. My problem is not that I wouldn't pay to launder my clothing on the cruise ship (or at least some of it). My problem is that all of my clothing needs 'special handling' and absolutely NONE of it can be washed in hot water or dryer. I would hate to be naked in the second half of my cruise because the cruise laundry shrunk all of my clothes. (None of it has any room for shrinkage either.)

Trip is: 3 days in Venice, 11 days on cruise followed by (train to) Rome for a four day visit.

Ideas? Tips?

Hand wash in the sink in a product called Euclan, available in quilt shops or yarn stores. Comes unscented or in a variety of scents, no rinse required, just soaking for 15 minutes and then drip dry. Available some places in tiny one use cardboard packs or in small travel size bottles. I use this stuff for travel and fine washables at home.

I am in a bit of a dilemma about suitcases for this (my first) trip to Italy and cruise. My problem is not that I wouldn't pay to launder my clothing on the cruise ship (or at least some of it). My problem is that all of my clothing needs 'special handling' and absolutely NONE of it can be washed in hot water or dryer. I would hate to be naked in the second half of my cruise because the cruise laundry shrunk all of my clothes. (None of it has any room for shrinkage either.)

Trip is: 3 days in Venice, 11 days on cruise followed by (train to) Rome for a four day visit.

Ideas? Tips?

Buy new clothes that are more travel friendly? :eek:

Seriously, there is no magic solution. You either have to pack light and do some sort of wash along the way, or pack heavy and have some miserable experiences lugging stuff around.

My problem is not that I wouldn't pay to launder my clothing on the cruise ship (or at least some of it). My problem is that all of my clothing needs 'special handling' and absolutely NONE of it can be washed in hot water or dryer.

What line will you be on? I know that HAL has full laundry and dry cleaning services and you can specify how you want things handled. I'm sure they're not the only ones.

What line will you be on? I know that HAL has full laundry and dry cleaning services and you can specify how you want things handled. I'm sure they're not the only ones.

It is a cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette.

Buy new clothes that are more travel friendly? :eek:

Seriously, there is no magic solution. You either have to pack light and do some sort of wash along the way, or pack heavy and have some miserable experiences lugging stuff around.

I do plan to buy three new LL Bean Tshirts that state they are non-shrinkable but I do not plan to buy an entire new wardrobe that I would not wear again. I haven't really 'washed in the sink' in past trips except perhaps for a pair of undies. Does clothing, like pants, shorts, nightgown really get clean in the sink? I have had clothes shrunk to kid-size on a previous cruise which is what makes me wary.

Hand wash in the sink in a product called Euclan, available in quilt shops or yarn stores. Comes unscented or in a variety of scents, no rinse required, just soaking for 15 minutes and then drip dry. Available some places in tiny one use cardboard packs or in small travel size bottles. I use this stuff for travel and fine washables at home.

Found it on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Eucalan-Lavender-Fine-Fabric-Ounce/dp/B001DEJMPG

I could buy this and take some of it in a smaller bottle I guess. How much do you use per garment/sink full? I guess it is better to be clean and wrinkled rather than dirty and not so wrinkled? Because there are no irons, either, in the cabins and will probably have cotton shorts and capris.

I do plan to buy three new LL Bean Tshirts that state they are non-shrinkable but I do not plan to buy an entire new wardrobe that I would not wear again. I haven't really 'washed in the sink' in past trips except perhaps for a pair of undies. Does clothing, like pants, shorts, nightgown really get clean in the sink? I have had clothes shrunk to kid-size on a previous cruise which is what makes me wary.

Yes, clothes can get clean in the sink (or in the bag, see link), but you have to sort of "agitate" them by hand. Don't just let them soak.

Here's one take on hand washing:

http://www.ridiculouslyextraordinary.com/15-minutes-clean-clothes-anywhere-in-the-world/

Believe me, I'm picky about my clothes too....don't like to send them out to the ship's laundry. I agree they CAN do a number on your clothes.

But I guess I'm lucky enough to travel enough times that I have a fair wardrobe of staples that are quick drying by hand wash or that can take the ship laundry without serious problems. I tend to take sort of "high tech" quick dry breathable lightweight synethetics for pants or capris -- these can be handwashed and dry the next day with a minimum of wrinkles.

I like cotton t-shirts but try to take ones that are patterned so that if I have to hand wash them, the wrinkles are less noticeable. :o

If you are handwashing anything cotton, it really helps to:

a) roll the wet clothes in towels to squeeze out extra water (decreases drying time), and

b) smooth out the garments with your hands after you hang them to dry. This really does get rid of most of the major wrinkles.

Yes, clothes can get clean in the sink (or in the bag, see link), but you have to sort of "agitate" them by hand. Don't just let them soak.

Here's one take on hand washing:

http://www.ridiculouslyextraordinary.com/15-minutes-clean-clothes-anywhere-in-the-world/

Believe me, I'm picky about my clothes too....don't like to send them out to the ship's laundry. I agree they CAN do a number on your clothes.

But I guess I'm lucky enough to travel enough times that I have a fair wardrobe of staples that are quick drying by hand wash or that can take the ship laundry without serious problems. I tend to take sort of "high tech" quick dry breathable lightweight synethetics for pants or capris -- these can be handwashed and dry the next day with a minimum of wrinkles.

I like cotton t-shirts but try to take ones that are patterned so that if I have to hand wash them, the wrinkles are less noticeable. :o

If you are handwashing anything cotton, it really helps to:

a) roll the wet clothes in towels to squeeze out extra water (decreases drying time), and

b) smooth out the garments with your hands after you hang them to dry. This really does get rid of most of the major wrinkles.

I do just have to laugh - we REALLY are alike!

I don't buy anything specific for a cruise or vacation unless it is something unusual (like a safari to Kenya). I am an outdoor person, so I have plenty of things that cross-over. I have my hiking clothes that can be used for many trip (the tech fabrics and some with convertible legs or roll-up sleeves with vents). But, my everyday clothes are the majority of my trip wardrobe. I also do lots of tech or cotton Tshirts in colors and prints. They are easy to wash and dry. My current favorites are some of the burnout T shirts from The North Face. I bought 3 short sleeve ones last summer and I just bought another one today (yes, I went to REI - last day of the 20% any one item sale).

Go through what you already have first and create your packing list. Then, add just those things that you don't already have.

For your raincoat - just be aware of cheap "waterproof" jackets. They are so sealed up that they aren't breathable you end up sweating something awful in them. If you can, get something at least with "pit zips" so you can get some ventilation going. Definitely try the men's section for the outerwear. When I was a larger size 16/18, the men's large jackets and rain pants fit just fine.

Found it on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Eucalan-Lavender-Fine-Fabric-Ounce/dp/B001DEJMPG

I could buy this and take some of it in a smaller bottle I guess. How much do you use per garment/sink full? I guess it is better to be clean and wrinkled rather than dirty and not so wrinkled? Because there are no irons, either, in the cabins and will probably have cotton shorts and capris.

You use very little of this, a couple of teaspoons worth will work. As for the wrinkles, I agree that the solution is to smooth out the clothes before you hang, there are generally few wrinkle left after this. I have seen suggestions that you bring inflatable hangers which help with quick drying, but haven't tried this my self. If you look around at local places you might find a small travel size bottle of this which would be fine for a vacation.

Pretty good advice from above. Here's my .02. I travel quite a bit for business and leisure. The more I travel the less I pack. I use one carryon bag whenever possible. I avoid bags with wheels use a backpack or other similar bag. I've been a Red Oxx Airboss user/fan for years. Love it. The reason is that in Much of the old cities like venice there are a ton stairs which doesn't go well with luggage on wheels not matter what the size.

Try to use a synthetic or blend fabric clothing that is quick dry and doesn't wrinkle. Do laundry in the sink. Woolite or Tide makes individual travel sizes. Do laundry every night, roll in a towel and wring out the water then dry on the travel clothes line. Unless its extremely humid it will be dry by the morning.

For my last trip 12 day trip to N. Italy, I took two shorts, One pair of pants, swim trunks, three shirts, two pair travel underwear, flip flops and keen closed toe sandals. So you wear one outfit on the plane and pack the rest. I still had too much stuff!

Will do the same for this year's 14 day S. Italy trip. only this time I'll pack even less. one of the shorts will be convertible to pants. As for the three shirts I take one nice golf polo and two columbia short sleeve button down (100% poly) They wash and dry easily and look nice with no wrinkles.

As for a jacket for the cruise formal night, while I have plenty of room in the carry on (or could wear it) I don't bring one. I choose not to do the formal night but do specialty restaurants instead in the "smart casual" Just personal preference because I wear a suite 250 days out of the year, why do I want to wear one on Vacation?

Have a great trip to Italy!

With that Red Oxx, you are definitely a traveler!

The part about the wheels and Venice is absolutely true. The trip where I had my big hunker of a roller included Venice. It was "interesting" trying to negotiate those bridges and steps. I needed a nap after that!

I go a little more techie with my bags (although Red Oxx is an excellent brand). Right now, my faves are the Osprey bags. I have a 2 Porters (one 46L carryon size, one the next up at 65L) and one 25" Sojourn. The Sojourn is wheeled, but also has backpack straps like the Porters. They also have lots of handles at good points to pick up. I also like the lifetime guarantee that Osprey has.

I have the Patagonia MLC (maximum legal carry-on), which is, one could say, the Air Boss's more moderately priced cousin. ;) It's a good option for train travel and I'm planning to take it on my upcoming cruise because I'll have to get myself and my luggage from the Venice port (and not even the one nearest the People Mover) to the train station for my trip to Rome.

Also, regarding the poster's original query, I just ran across this site again that I had bookmarked before as a good, practical introduction to packing less (and more smartly):

http://www.prolificliving.com/blog/2010/09/17/travel-like-a-pro-21-smart-and-efficient-packing-tips/

I have the Patagonia MLC (maximum legal carry-on), which is, one could say, the Air Boss's more moderately priced cousin. ;) It's a good option for train travel and I'm planning to take it on my upcoming cruise because I'll have to get myself and my luggage from the Venice port (and not even the one nearest the People Mover) to the train station for my trip to Rome.

Also, regarding the poster's original query, I just ran across this site again that I had bookmarked before as a good, practical introduction to packing less (and more smartly):

http://www.prolificliving.com/blog/2010/09/17/travel-like-a-pro-21-smart-and-efficient-packing-tips/

The Patagonia MLC is a good bag! I have an older eBags Motherlode bag that is it's kissin' cousin. I got into Osprey a few years ago. My Porter 45 would be it's MLC equivalent. For my upcoming trip, I'm taking the Sourjourn, though. I have some gifts to take to one of the hotel staffs where I'm staying and then I'm planning on some definite shopping and need that extra space. Otherwise, it would have been the Porter.

Wow you can tell that there are a ton of "professional" traveller's here at CC. I'd not seen the prolifiicliving site before. This is a good site and I'll recommend it to others.

I came a across Doug Dyment's Onebag.com site several years ago and instantly became a fan. The onebag.com is excellent and he helped design the Air Boss. That's how I ended up with the Air Boss. I've had my for almost 7 years. Still looks like new after tons of business and leisure trips. It took only one use for me to become a believer in the light packing concept. Can easily get a blazer two slacks, two dress slacks and under garments in there with room to spare. Haven't used it on a cruise yet, but that comes in June 2014 for my 11 E. Med cruise on Celebrity Reflection (my first cruise in 16 years). But I have used the Red Oxx every summer for 10+ day vacations and it is the only way to travel.

No matter what the bag, definitely pack less for vacations.....especially on cruises!

For those who wash laundry in the sink: I am wondering if anyone just uses the freebie shampoo provided by hotels and cruise lines. I went to REI and found the small size of Dr. Bonners and also a packet of tiny sheets of laundry soap. I almost got one of them but then it occurred to me that shampoo might work as well and I wouldn't have to carry it with me.

Thanks!

For those who wash laundry in the sink: I am wondering if anyone just uses the freebie shampoo provided by hotels and cruise lines. I went to REI and found the small size of Dr. Bonners and also a packet of tiny sheets of laundry soap. I almost got one of them but then it occurred to me that shampoo might work as well and I wouldn't have to carry it with me.

Thanks!

I use it all the time. Works great, unless it has an overly strong floral scent.

Thanks!

I use the shampoo if I run out. The best I've found so far though is the Woolite travel packets.

We did a cruisetour through RCCL last June and it consisted of 5 days pre cruise of Italy. Started in Venice(2days), they took us by bus to Florence, then we took train to Rome for 2 days before they transported us to ship. Luggage was handled for us by cruiseline and it went on to our hotel by tour bus while we rode the train luggage free! Have you considered a cruisetour? Loved ours and would do it again!

I use the shampoo if I run out. The best I've found so far though is the Woolite travel packets.

Woolite and Tide are the best I've found. Also don't count on there being hotel shampoo at every place you stay. Many European hotels do not provide complementary shampoo.

Archived