Struggling to get any insurance cover due to Residency issues

laslomas

I am currently a resident in Spain and have been for 10+ years. I have booked a January 2014 fly/cruise with my sister who lives in the UK and the holiday leaves from the UK. I have just sold my house here in Spain and will be moving back to UK in the summer to make it my permanent residence.

I tried to get Travel Insurance cover when I booked the cruise but as I am a spanish resident and the holiday leaves from UK it was not possible. I thought I would include a flight from Spain to UK first, but as I will be living in UK by the time I take the holiday that would not qualify.

I have looked at options of a Travel Insurance in the UK but I cannot find a company to insure me as I am not yet a resident, plus when I do move back I will still have a problem as it is a condition with the insurance companies that I must have been a permanent UK resident for a minimum of 6 months.

I am totally confused now. The full balance is not due until the end of September so at the moment I could only lose the deposit I have paid, but once the balance has been paid I really do want to be covered for the usual eventualites. I am totally confused :confused: and am sure there must be a way to get an insurance cover, surely someone wants my money?

Was the insurance you tried to get through the cruise line?

I tried them first. Since then I have contacted about a dozen companies found on the internet, a few in Spain and then in UK and they all have the same T&C that I do not fit into!!! I think my only recourse will be to wait until I have a UK address, probably in July, and then simply ignore (or not notice) the requirement of minimum 6 months residency.

I tried them first. Since then I have contacted about a dozen companies found on the internet, a few in Spain and then in UK and they all have the same T&C that I do not fit into!!! I think my only recourse will be to wait until I have a UK address, probably in July, and then simply ignore (or not notice) the requirement of minimum 6 months residency.

I don't know anything about your problem, but you cannot "ignore" or "not notice" requirements for a valid policy. If you violate the terms of your policy, such as not having the minimum six month residency, the insurance company may void your policy and deny any claims.

I don't know anything about your problem, but you cannot "ignore" or "not notice" requirements for a valid policy. If you violate the terms of your policy, such as not having the minimum six month residency, the insurance company may void your policy and deny any claims.

Thank you, but don't you think I know that? It is also stupid and ignorant to travel thousands of miles including flights and a cruise without a valid insurance!! I am hoping that someone will know a company that will insure me. My only problem is that I will be moving my location, something that many people do without it becoming impossible to obtain Travel Insurance. I am moving between countries within the EU and as such I do not think should create this problem. I am healthy with no known health problems so it is totally ridiculous that I am in this situation.

Thank you, but don't you think I know that? It is also stupid and ignorant to travel thousands of miles including flights and a cruise without a valid insurance!!

I have no idea what you do or don't know. The average person would probably think, based on your comment of "ignoring" this requirement, that you might not know this. Good luck in your search.

Thank you, but don't you think I know that? It is also stupid and ignorant to travel thousands of miles including flights and a cruise without a valid insurance!! I am hoping that someone will know a company that will insure me. My only problem is that I will be moving my location, something that many people do without it becoming impossible to obtain Travel Insurance. I am moving between countries within the EU and as such I do not think should create this problem. I am healthy with no known health problems so it is totally ridiculous that I am in this situation.

We understand your problem and some have tried to help you.

I will join the others who say it's a really bad idea to ignore or not notice ANY terms of any policy. The insurer will not do the same. They could refuse an otherwise valid claim if you have not met all terms of the policy but you probably know that. I'm no lawyer but I wonder if not being honest about all info provided an insurer could be fraud? Maybe a lawyer can advise us?

As to your being a healthy woman, that is wonderful but, of course, that can change at any time for any of us and we all could have an accident causing personal injury thus the main reason for wanting to write insurance.

Good luck..... both finding insurance and with your move.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone. I have looked at the websites / companies suggested and I believe they may be able to help. As soon as I have made the move I will try to get the insurance. I will not do so yet as I do not want to get covered then find I am no longer covered due to my move. Fingers crossed.

Archived