Sushi cut to save money

Scottohiocpa

We are just off the Paradise. On our 4 day cruise, they have made the following sushi cuts:

1) They now only have 2 kinds to pick from instead of 4.

2) They only give you 3 pieces instead of 4.

3) They don't offer it on formal night.

4) It's made in advance and some guy just puts it on a plate, no more sushi master guy. No more custom orders....

5) They only have basic kinds like California roll and spicy tuna. No more eel or more adventurous types.

I would gues they are saving about 50% of the prior cost.:mad:

It's not a cut, it's a reallocation of funds.;)

Bill

I would like to take time to apologize to everyone for my post. As a long time poster I often call people on their nastiness and I got called on mine, which is justly deserved. My only excuse is that we so wanted to cruise this year but just to fly there would have cost us almost twice as much as the cruise itself and we just couldn't afford it. I have read sooo many critical and negative posts lately, when I would be happy just to be on the ship, that complaining about sushi was "the straw" that broke me. Sorry to have used this forum to take out my frustrations - I will not happen again. Maybe I need a break.

We all have those types of moments. It was cool of you to come back and

apologize. I love reading where others are from, and when I

see people who live so far from ports, makes me feel sad for

them because if I had to fly to a port, I also could not afford

to cruise.

I don't like sushi so it didn't bother me that they changed it but

on the other hand, the cutbacks are getting to be a little to much!

On the Legend last year they had sushi by the salad bar every day in the Lido buffet... it was hardly touched. I don't think sushi is as popular as it once was. I'm on the Breeze in a few days and really looking forward to having proper sushi at the Bonsai. It is not free, $1.00 per roll or something like that. If it is restaurant quality that will be outstanding.

While we did have fun, and the crew did a great job, there were many other areas where cuts were evident to anyone who has cruised before.

One of my favorite apps in MDR is the fresh fruit plate with tequila lime sauce. The fruit was always cut up and fanned out to look really nice. Now you just get a small bowl with 3 cubes of Honeydew, 3 cubes of Catalope and 1 grape. No sauce, no fancy presentation.

The fruit offerings on the buffet had a small amount of pineapple and watermelon in the morning, but by 10:00am there was only honeydew and cantalope for the rest of the day.

These are just a few examples.

I have owned Carnival stock at times, but seeing how they have adopted so many short term savings that will cost them customers in the long term, I am glad I sold my shares just after the Triumph mishap.

Consider yourself lucky other lines don't offer free sushi

Other lines certainly do offer free sushi. Real sushi. A variety of sushi - a few types of nigiri as well as maki. Decent sushi, unlike Carnival's "sushi". Made fresh on the spot and served for a few hours (something like 5:00 to 8:00PM) every evening at the buffet. Check out Celebrity.;)

No need to 'consider yourself lucky' with the decreasing quality and quantity of what's included in a Carnival cruise. Come on, branch out, people. There are plenty of ships on the sea.;):D

Last August on the Glory we had sushi from the sushi bar and from the buffet. It was really good in both places. I actually enjoyed having sushi in the buffet , as I was able to easily go back for more.

We all have those types of moments. It was cool of you to come back and

apologize. I love reading where others are from, and when I

see people who live so far from ports, makes me feel sad for

them because if I had to fly to a port, I also could not afford

to cruise.

I don't like sushi so it didn't bother me that they changed it but

on the other hand, the cutbacks are getting to be a little to much!

Thank you for understanding - living in Northern Ontario does not give us lots of options for flying unless we drive to the States - stay over and do a park and fly, adding more to the cost. I am not a huge sushi fan like some others but do like it and enjoyed it on many occasions on the ships we sailed - loved trying the different ones they use to serve. Have not had it since the cut backs

Was on the Pride a few weeks ago, and there was not a sushi bar per se, but several nights during dinner on the Lido deck there was sushi, located in the space next to the salad bar where the cheese, deli meats and pre-made salads (potato, cole slaw, bean, etc) are located. There were six different types, with other sides (kimchi, and other pickled stuff), along with the usual condiments.

Accepted. As for the sushi being available it won't make or break my cruise..

I would like to take time to apologize to everyone for my post. As a long time poster I often call people on their nastiness and I got called on mine, which is justly deserved. My only excuse is that we so wanted to cruise this year but just to fly there would have cost us almost twice as much as the cruise itself and we just couldn't afford it. I have read sooo many critical and negative posts lately, when I would be happy just to be on the ship, that complaining about sushi was "the straw" that broke me. Sorry to have used this forum to take out my frustrations - I will not happen again. Maybe I need a break.

But well worth it!

As I recall, many of the ships that used to have nightly sushi have shifted to the Tastes Bar. Which is intriguing and you can go back for more, if you really wanted to.

I did have a couple of things at the Taste Bar. One I really liked and the other was so-so. Can't even remember what they were.

and your problem is what - when you had it in your home town how much did you pay - how much did you order - and did a sous chef serve it or the actual chef - and did you not hear that eel is now an endangered species because of US - ya, I really enjoy it too but when on a cruise I take what I can get

Absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have read this week.

Edit-did not mean to pile on. Should have continued reading the thread.

Archived