Second Celebrity Cruise Ship Fails CDC Inspection

Bababooey Land

Celebrity should be on top of these ratings and scores. This falls under whomever is the head Hotel director for Celebrity.....Sounds like he needs to shake up his hotel managers and staff....

I am hopeful they will get this cleaned up asap.

Safe travels to all!

Getting a bad feeling about our Nov. cruise on the Summit. I booked this cruise for 2 reasons. One, the itinerary, and two, the cruise line. We have only sailed carnival and after our last cruise we wanted a step up because we were not happy with the quality of food among other things. Now the ship failed it's inspection along with another Celebrity ship. Along with that, when I read reviews about the Summit, there seems to be dissatisfaction about the food.

Don't be worried. We sailed on a Carnival ship in February - can't get back on the Summit fast enough! (May). In my opinion (food included) everything is a major "step up".

Thank you for your email. We appreciate you allowing us to respond to your email.

At Celebrity Cruises we have high health standards for all our guests and crew. Therefore, we were extremely disappointed to learn that Celebrity Century received a score of 78 during its last inspection conducted by United States Public Health (USPH) on 8 February. Over the last three years, Celebrity Century has not scored lower than 96 on any of her last seven inspections.

Celebrity Cruises worked closely with USPH to immediately correct the deficiencies found aboard Celebrity Century. We are confident that Celebrity Century will receive a high score when the ship is re-inspected, which we expect will take place within the next few weeks.

In late March Celebrity Cruises was notified that USPH had retroactively retracted points from the 19 January USPH inspection of Celebrity Summit which brought the original passing score down to an 81. The main cause was menus which did not have proper public health consumer advisories. We are confident that Celebrity Summit will receive a high score when the ship is re-inspected within the next few weeks.

Celebrity Cruises has implemented corrective actions across the fleet. Since these inspections, Celebrity Cruises ships have achieved scores of 99, 100, and 99.

Thank you for your email. We appreciate you allowing us to respond to your email.

At Celebrity Cruises we have high health standards for all our guests and crew. Therefore, we were extremely disappointed to learn that Celebrity Century received a score of 78 during its last inspection conducted by United States Public Health (USPH) on 8 February. Over the last three years, Celebrity Century has not scored lower than 96 on any of her last seven inspections.

Celebrity Cruises worked closely with USPH to immediately correct the deficiencies found aboard Celebrity Century. We are confident that Celebrity Century will receive a high score when the ship is re-inspected, which we expect will take place within the next few weeks.

In late March Celebrity Cruises was notified that USPH had retroactively retracted points from the 19 January USPH inspection of Celebrity Summit which brought the original passing score down to an 81. The main cause was menus which did not have proper public health consumer advisories. We are confident that Celebrity Summit will receive a high score when the ship is re-inspected within the next few weeks.

Celebrity Cruises has implemented corrective actions across the fleet. Since these inspections, Celebrity Cruises ships have achieved scores of 99, 100, and 99.

What????

Where was the retroactive menu labeling in the CDC corrective action report or did I just miss that part?

Canceling an X sailing for Carnival? Good luck with that! Hope the Carnival ship doesn't have to be towed back to its home port. Or that you don't lose electricity. Now that line has had way too many problems lately.

It all boils down to what you are comfortable with. If Carnival makes you happy, go for it. Personally, I won't be changing any plans.

And I totally agree that scores vary vastly based on the Inspector or Inspetion Team. One person may think food temp is minor, another may close the kitchen for it.

So I will be getting on Summit 4/20 and looking forward to 15 nights of good food and facilities!

Canceling an X sailing for Carnival? Good luck with that! Hope the Carnival ship doesn't have to be towed back to its home port. Or that you don't lose electricity. Now that line has had way too many problems lately.

It all boils down to what you are comfortable with. If Carnival makes you happy, go for it. Personally, I won't be changing any plans.

And I totally agree that scores vary vastly based on the Inspector or Inspetion Team. One person may think food temp is minor, another may close the kitchen for it.

So I will be getting on Summit 4/20 and looking forward to 15 nights of good food and facilities!

Agree.

Any cruise line can fail an inspection including Carnival.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5306

No way would I cancel a cruise on X to move to Carnival. They are not even an option for me in the future.

Oh I hear ya, I totally hear ya. I have no doubt that I'd be happier on X and that Summit would have been a better cruise for me. But $4,000 better? Not so much. It was the convergence of these scores and Carnival's fares taking a nose dive that made me switch- and I'm happy with it. I have a kid with me. It has as much to do with the growing fear of sitting in BDA with him for three days as anything else. I just tacked another five days on to the Glory cruise for $800. It's crazy. I have to take advantage of these prices while they're available- that's MHO, anyway. But you're right- it's just that when I do the math I come up with a different result.

Well I would not cancel a booked cruise for those reasons- s.. happens, but twice. oh well I know I know Restaurants, Hotel all can fail to achive the right score. BUT THE FACT REMAINS THAT THERE ARE TWO X- SHPS NOW THAT FAILED! In a row that is!

Not a very good PR for them. Maybe I jumped ship just in time.... LOL!

We were on the March 19 Century departure from San Diego. My question is.....why does Celebrity keep this ship? This was a first time Celebrity cruise and we cancelled two future bookings after spending two weeks on this thing. Yes, there was no shortage of sick people.....passengers and crew. Disgusting in so many ways. I cannot believe the other ships sail in this condition, but will never know for sure. And 78 for a CDC score? Even the old Greek ships had a hard time scoring so low.

Archived