Second Celebrity Cruise Ship Fails CDC Inspection

Bababooey Land

Mat of the issues in the report are minor, but indicative of an older ship that needs better maintainence. The staff supervision and training also seems lacking. Celebrity should be better than this.

Just another reason why I avoid old boats.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTgwMDAyODc%3d-OcC2%2bsPiI6g%3d

Is the crew penalized in any way, especially monetarily, when they are not working due to illness? Is there pressure from supervisors to work anyway?

If so, maybe that is what needs to be changed. Just a thought.

Anne

that is an excellent point. i would assume they get penalized in some way...or else every time a crew member sneezes, they would be out of work! My gut tells me they lose $$$$ (tip money).

but yes, probably a broken system that needs to be changed most likely on all cruise ships not just on Celebrity.

Is the crew penalized in any way, especially monetarily, when they are not working due to illness? Is there pressure from supervisors to work anyway?

If so, maybe that is what needs to be changed. Just a thought.

Anne

I believe they are. When I was sailing on RCCL in February our head waiter said that when you are out sick you miss out on a days pay. Like tips and such, so it's very bad to be sick because most of them need that money.

Once is understandable...stuff happens. Twice starts to indicate that perhaps the focus on the ship is on profit over safety/cleanliness....perhaps too few staff to keep things clean/safe.

I'm troubled by this and if I see a third failure, I may start to assume that Michael Bayley only has his eye on the bottom line and doesn't care about the other aspects of running a cruise line....which would be unfortunate..

Once is understandable...stuff happens. Twice starts to indicate that perhaps the focus on the ship is on profit over safety/cleanliness....perhaps too few staff to keep things clean/safe.

I'm troubled by this and if I see a third failure, I may start to assume that Michael Bayley only has his eye on the bottom line and doesn't care about the other aspects of running a cruise line....which would be unfortunate..

I am already concerned about the CEO and company emphasis on bottom line from other recent events and from staff shortges in some areas.

On our last TA our head waiter became very ill and was unable to work for three days. During that time off, there was no replacement and his terrific assistant did everything and was run ragged. Unfortunately we watched his supervisor stand and watch him while constantly telling him other things to do. The waiter who was out ill returned only when cleared by the physicial. He did not tell us, but another one did, that our waiter's pay would be affected because of illness.

We had a similar incident with a cabin stewardess on a Celebrity ship. She was out sick for 3 days and another crewmember "sort of" filled in for her, but only providing very minimal service. The last day of our cruise, our original stewardess returned but coughed and sneezed all over the cabin! Not knowing who we should tip, I contacted the Head Housekeeper who said he would divide the gratuity between our regular stewardess and her "helper" who was actually cleaning all her own cabins, too. Not sure how fairly that worked out for either of them.

Getting a bad feeling about our Nov. cruise on the Summit. I booked this cruise for 2 reasons. One, the itinerary, and two, the cruise line. We have only sailed carnival and after our last cruise we wanted a step up because we were not happy with the quality of food among other things. Now the ship failed it's inspection along with another Celebrity ship. Along with that, when I read reviews about the Summit, there seems to be dissatisfaction about the food.

Getting a bad feeling about our Nov. cruise on the Summit. I booked this cruise for 2 reasons. One, the itinerary, and two, the cruise line. We have only sailed carnival and after our last cruise we wanted a step up because we were not happy with the quality of food among other things. Now the ship failed it's inspection along with another Celebrity ship. Along with that, when I read reviews about the Summit, there seems to be dissatisfaction about the food.

I went on the summit before it went into dry dock & I thought the food was good. I didn't have any complaints on that end.

Rethinking my Jan. cruise on the Century now:(

I wouldnt, you would be shocked and appaled at the number of kitchens, especially high end ones that fail health inspections. I would not be surprised if the executive chef and some others high up corporate personell would be present on the next sailing in kick bums and train staff to the level they should be at.

food is very subjective....we found the food on the Millenium earlier this year much too salty, others thought it was great. Some like Silk Harvest, we find it just awful asian food.

I think the Celebrity experience is overall a very good one...you'll find good and bad things about any cruise line and any ship. For me, no smoking and no PA announcements are really important....even though I am an admitted foodie.

Finally, although I find the health inspections troubling on a number of levels, I can assure you that if you walked into the kitchen of your favorite restaurant in town, you probably would never dine there again. You have to keep things in perspective....

I wouldnt, you would be shocked and appaled at the number of kitchens, especially high end ones that fail health inspections. I would not be surprised if the executive chef and some others high up corporate personell would be present on the next sailing in kick bums and train staff to the level they should be at.

I was on the February 17th sailing, and the Executive Chef was onboard. We saw repairs and inspections being done in various places. One that comes to mind is at the Cova Cafe.

I guess in this case, ignorance is bliss. We had no problems on the cruise. The ship was clean, and the food was good.

Don't cancel....there is nothing to fear on the Century.:D

My initial thoughts are these are very disappointing results for Celebrity. Heads will roll, but I wouldn't be cancelling my cruise on these ships if I had a cruise coming up on them. Nothing like a failed CDC inspection to focus the mind and sort the issues out. Celebrity need to look closely at why staff are continuing to work when they are sick. Picked up on both failed inspections has this got something to do with cutbacks in staff numbers and work pressures? Probably does.

Phil

If you read the report, you' ll see that much of the problem seems to be old broken , run down infrastructure .

This is an old ship that isn't being maintained.

A 78 is really bad. Few ships EVER score that low.

WE are booked on the Century for Alaska this summer :eek:, wonder if i need to worry and move to another ship??:confused:

any thoughts????

I think Celebrity failing on 2 ships is obviously not a good thing. But...I think RCL is a strong reputable company. I would assume management is extremely unhappy about this. (it could hurt current/future bookings). I think the situation will be fixed ASAP, as this is embarrassing to Celebrity and RCL. I would not worry about your upcoming cruise.

Though we are booked on Century to Hawaii Oct 22 ,2013 ,we are not concerned .That CDC inspection will vastly improve cleanliness & health issues that had occurred :).

Top management in any business can't be complacent about the important issues .For if they did it wouldn't be too long before the top & bottom lines would suffer greatly:rolleyes:. JMHO

Though we are booked on Century to Hawaii Oct 22 ,2013 ,we are not concerned .That CDC inspection will vastly improve cleanliness & health issues that had occurred :).

Top management in any business can't be complacent about the important issues .For if they did it wouldn't be too long before the top & bottom lines would suffer greatly:rolleyes:. JMHO

I think you are wishfully thinking that a poor inspection report will get any executive's focus. Yes, some staff manager will get a todo, but likely the executives won't even check to see if there is improvement. The reason...it won't effect bottom line unless the press decides to make it a focus...and it gets wide attention. How many of those reading this ever knew there were inspections and how Celebrity ranked??? Answer: almost none.

Mat of the issues in the report are minor, but indicative of an older ship that needs better maintainence. The staff supervision and training also seems lacking. Celebrity should be better than this.

Just another reason why I avoid old boats.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTgwMDAyODc%3d-OcC2%2bsPiI6g%3d

I am more concerned with the skills and attention to detail of the Food and Beverage manager than the age of the ship.

Is this a reflection of the new president? I mean, ships in Celebrity's fleet did not fail these inspections before this guy took over. Don't they realize that they will lose bookings if people hear that their ships are dirty? Very stupid move if this president is downgrading upkeep.

As in almost all service related industries, Celebrity has cut staff back to bare bones levels. There is simply not enough staff to provide adequate coverage for ill employees. Most employees work 7 days, 14-18hrs a day for 3-4 months straight with only an afternoon free in port once per week.

All service/retail staff are docked pay when they call out sick and lose out on tip share/commissions. There are no "paid sick days" like many of us are accustomed to. No work means no money. When you work in that kind of environment it is easy to be scared to call out sick and to try and just "work through it".

I work for an employer (I'm a flight attendant for a carrier without a union contract) that makes using sick time very punitive and more hassle than its worth for a minor illness, so most of us choose to work sick rather than deal with the ramifications.

Archived