Day in Juneau in August - too ambitious?

We will be arriving in Juneau at 7:30 a.m and leaving at 8:00 p.m. 12 1/2 hours seems like a lot of time but there are so many things we want to do. Hubby wants the ziplining canopy adventure (I don't mind doing that) and we both want the Taku lodge 5-glacier seaplane tour. Each is about 3 hours. We also want to tour downtown and definitely head up to Mendenhall and the waterfall and whatever's up around there. The Mt. Roberts tram is also an option if time and weather allow. We want to see as much scenery as possible and get the most "Alaska experience" out of our day. Is all of the above too ambitious? We're not too much into hanging out at museums all day and shopping is not a priority, other than just looking around to see what looks interesting. Any advice from the more experienced ones around here? And yes, taking two tours is mega expensive, but we haven't been anywhere since our honeymoon 23 years ago :) so we're making up for it now. Any advice is appreciated.

Yeah, after cruising Alaska three times, I think you're planning way too much. Will you be tendering into Juneau? If so, that takes a lot of time away from you as tendering can be a pain. Even if you're not tendering, you won't be off the ship until 8 or 8:30 and you'll have to be back on by at least 7:30 if not a bit earlier. Then you have to add in traffic, transportation to and from those places you want to see and any other unforseen happenings.

CruiseBruce is correct. You will get a lot of valuable information on the Alaska Board.

I have also been to Alaska several times and twice in the past 18 months.

I would not worry about touring downtown. It has restaurants and shops which you can see in other towns.

The only difference would be that the state capitol is there which you could tour and there is a museum which you said you have no interest in and there is the governor's house which you can only see from the outside. So, I would skip the town.

You could look at theTaku lodge 5-glacier seaplane tour for the morning.

In the afternoon you could go to the Glacier.

Or you could reverse this.

Again visit the Alaska Ports Of Call Board not only for this town but for all the others.

Keith

Thanks for your replies. I've looked through the Alaska forum but so far don't see anything about those two particular tours. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either or both of them.

Yes, Dusty, we will be eating. :) I would prefer sightseeing to eating (not often you'll hear me say that) but I understand there's fabulous salmon to be had on the Taku lodge trip.

I would post your questions on the Alaska Board.

You will have a far greater chance of getting answers on that board from people who have taken these tours before since many people who have sailed Alaska many times visit that board often.

Keith

Thanks for your replies. I've looked through the Alaska forum but so far don't see anything about those two particular tours. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either or both of them.

Yes, Dusty, we will be eating. :) I would prefer sightseeing to eating (not often you'll hear me say that) but I understand there's fabulous salmon to be had on the Taku lodge trip.

i just didnt want your rumbling tummies too scare off any wildlife you might encounter :D. i have not done the 5 glacier seaplane tour but i wish i could . i bet it is awesome. have fun. :)

Although I've only been to Juneau once, we did two ship excursions (my first cruise so I didn't know you could actually do independent ones) and was surprised at how quickly you can get everywhere. A quick cab ride to the glacier, the tram, etc. Amazing. So it is do-able but I would play it by ear ("wing it"). Definitely reserve your favorite excursion and then see how much time you have left. You can get a cab to the glacier, doesn't take too long. I don't think the tram takes very long either. Then if you have time, a quick shopping trip at the shops by the pier.

Archived