Passport expiring while on board

We board on Sunday, passport expires on Thursday and of course, we arrive back at home port on the following Sunday. I do have birth certificate that I could take along with us.

Obviously, we would be able to board with no issues; but will there be issues when we return?

Any experiences out there? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

no they will put you off in a lifeboat when it expires.

The proof of us citizenship you have must expire after the cruise. In fact some countries require passports to have a six month expiration date after you enter.

In a closed loop cruise a government issued picture ID and passport will do, but they won't let you use a passport that will expire before the end of the cruise.

Before 9-11 a passport that had expired was ok no longer although for the government issued ID a driver 's license that expires on the cruise is probably ok( a drivers license is not proof of citizenship- unless its an enhanced DL)...go figure.

We board on Sunday, passport expires on Thursday and of course, we arrive back at home port on the following Sunday. I do have birth certificate that I could take along with us.

Obviously, we would be able to board with no issues; but will there be issues when we return?

Any experiences out there? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ummm, NO you won't be on board with no issues. If you read your cruise documents it states that in order to travel on your passport the expiration date must be at least 6 months past the end date of the cruise. You will have MAJOR issues and be denied boarding if you only have an expiring passport with you. While they might bend the rules if it was expiring after your return, they will not with it expiring during the cruise.

Bring that birth certificate and driver's license you are going to need them.

Ummm, NO you won't be on board with no issues. If you read your cruise documents it states that in order to travel on your passport the expiration date must be at least 6 months past the end date of the cruise. You will have MAJOR issues and be denied boarding if you only have an expiring passport with you. While they might bend the rules if it was expiring after your return, they will not with it expiring during the cruise.

This, exactly.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-544391

If you read your cruise documents it states that in order to travel on your passport the expiration date must be at least 6 months past the end date of the cruise.

Not all countries require the 6 month rule. I went to Mexico only 3 months before my Passport expired and had no problems.

Some countries require the 6 month left on the passport, others don't. You need to check with the different countries you are visiting to check US passport requirements. Mexico doesn't have any requirements for amount of time left on the passport.

Archived