AzAmazing Evening Event of Water Jousting in Sete, France Scores a Big-Hit!

Bill Leiber

Hello Azamara Followers -

The second complimentary AzAmazing Evening Event on the Azamara Quest which took place today (Apr 4) in the charming small fishing town of Sete, France has proven to be a big-hit based on preliminary feedback.

Over 440 guests braved the cloudy and somewhat chilly weather and joined in watching the ancient and colorful sport of water jousting, found only in this region of the world. Guests shared ringside seats on the Royal Canal to enjoy the unique spectacle.

As guests walked off the ship, they were greeted with music played by a local peña band and a number of jousters with their lances in arm. Everyone followed the band to the center of town 2 blocks away where the mayor welcomed everybody. Many locals also gathered and provided added flavor.

To the delight of our guests and the locals, Captain Carl Smith participated in the jousting event. He took the evening to a new level because of his courage to go against the seven-time champion (you can see his size on one of the photos) and knowing that the water in the canal was ice cold. Captain Carl did get the dubious chance to test the water temperature for himself!

After the jousting tournament, the band led guests back to the quay area where the jousters, the mayor and other local officials had gathered. All participants enjoyed a variety of savory French hors d' oeuvres, shellfish, tapenade and French wines. The evening culminated with another spectacular fireworks display as the Quest set sail from Sete.

Overall, we believe that our guests were treated to a truly memorable experience enhanced especially by Captain Carl's participation!

Attached are a few shots that I received from the ship and I've been told that more and better pictures will soon be available from the ship's photographer and will be added to this thread by Andy.

We believe that the guests who participated in this second AzAmazing Evening received a "destination affair to remember."

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Did the hors d'oeuvres work for the evening meal? I see this event lasted long enough that people likely did not have an opportunity to go to a restaurant either before or afterwards.

Glad to see such good reviews - but they're all from staff. I'd love to hear from passengers who experienced the event.

I think you will see them soon, the guests do not disembark this cruise until today. I do know from Facebook, they loved it

We were on the cruise and just disembarked yesterday morning. Cool temperatures and rain showers caused us to stop at the pier display only briefly before reboarding the ship and dining in one of the specialty restaurants so it didn't interfere with our dining plans nor should it have for anyone who didn't choose to remain off the ship through dinner time. We very much enjoyed the joust and think that the Captain was a wonderful sport to participate, especially given the weather conditions. Fabulous fireworks as we sailed from Sete were a fitting climax to a wonderful day. This was our first Azamara cruise but definitely not our last and we have already booked a Wine country cruise for our next anniversary.

I was on the cruise as well, and the Sete event was really great, despite the cold weather and gloomy skies.

Honestly, the description didn't sound like an excursion I would book, and the photo promoting the event didn’t look like anything I had ever seen before, but we went as it was my first cruise on Azamara (47th overall cruise) and I was curious about the "Azamazing" evenings.

We were advised to be pier side at 5:15. As we descended the gangway, we saw a line of men standing in two columns, dressed in white carrying long jousting poles that were pointed towards the sky.

A band promptly led the procession like a parade through the streets of Sete to the Grand Canal, with the locals watching and waving from their balconies.

Brightly colored and decorated boats, with married men in Red and bachelors in Blue prepared to do ‘battle’ with our very own Captain Carl Smith set to joust against a man who could double for King Kong. I understand why he is a 7 time Champion!

As you would expect, the Captain was knocked off in the first round into the frigid 43 degree water. The jousting continued with round after round of men trying to stay on their feet while jousting on a moving ship. It was quite entertaining and I was glad I attended.

The pier side party was well done, and like any other evening event with heavy hors d'oeuvres, it was plenty to eat for those that wanted a light meal with ample champagne and drinks flowing. Those that wanted a full meal had enough time to dine back on the ship without missing the party.

It isn’t often you get to mingle with the town Mayor and I enjoyed meeting him and having our picture taken. The crews from the jousting also joined the event and were happy to discuss the sport.

Overall, I was very impressed with the ship and will return again. I like the late night and overnight concept, which allows more time to actually experience the ports you are in.

I have sailed on one of the other 7 ‘sister’ ships on a different cruise line, and while the overall design is the same, Azamara has made it feel more spacious by not crowding too many tables into the public areas, which gives it a more intimate feeling. The crew is attentive and happy, the food was superb and I appreciate not having to 'sign' every time I want a beverage.

One suggestion I have though would be to have the complimetary wine included in the cabin as well.

Impulsive Traveller, welcome to Cruise Critic and thanks for telling us about your Azamazing evening. It sounds like it was a good night despite the weather. Interested that it had not appealed before you went but that you were able to enjoy it, you clearly travel with an open mind and get the best out of your cruises as a result.

Maybe we will see you on another Azamara cruise again soon and thanks for telling us about your evening!

The pier side party was well done, and like any other evening event with heavy hors d'oeuvres, it was plenty to eat for those that wanted a light meal with ample champagne and drinks flowing.

Nice summary. Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for, and expecting. Heavy hors d'oeuvres will be plenty for the two of us.;)

I was on this cruise as well, and completely agree with all the positive responses. The Amazing Evening was an event to remember. I cannot think of another Captain who would have done what Carl Smith did! As one commentator put it: the Captain was either exceedingly brave or "bonkers." Maybe both, eh? Actually, the Captain and his crew were all outstanding!

We were on the cruise and just disembarked yesterday morning. Cool temperatures and rain showers caused us to stop at the pier display only briefly before reboarding the ship and dining in one of the specialty restaurants so it didn't interfere with our dining plans nor should it have for anyone who didn't choose to remain off the ship through dinner time. We very much enjoyed the joust and think that the Captain was a wonderful sport to participate, especially given the weather conditions. Fabulous fireworks as we sailed from Sete were a fitting climax to a wonderful day. This was our first Azamara cruise but definitely not our last and we have already booked a Wine country cruise for our next anniversary.

Bill, glad you enjoyed your cruise on Quest.

Phil

Bill, glad you enjoyed your cruise on Quest.

Phil

Phil, we definitely did. Sailing on the Quest reminded me, in many ways, of the early cruises we took on Song of Norway and Nordic Prince and other ships of similar size as, or slightly smaller than, the Quest.

Archived